The MMA thread

poleglass red

Would just like to add that the kick that Rountree did to end the fight - I am amazed it's not seen or executed more often in UFC (until banned) with that exact same outcome.

This is a technique drilled in numerous arts to that literal effect and it's the quickest way to incapacitate hand throwers who have no regard for how their feet are planted. If it becomes a prominent technique in UFC, they'll ban it rapidly, imo, as the lasting damage is not for sport.

Was just a real surprise to see it in an octagon - in fact, you rarely see it followed through to conclusion in any setting because of what it does to the body. On first impression, it looked like he broke the guy's kneecap haven't looked it up to see what the medical report is, but I wonder when we see him fight again.
Not a fan of this kick at all, but until it is made illegal I guess fighters have it as an option. It's definitely a kick especially when thrown as a side kick that could do damage possibly career ending. Hopefully the other fighter is ok.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Not a fan of this kick at all, but until it is made illegal I guess fighters have it as an option. It's definitely a kick especially when thrown as a side kick that could do damage possibly career ending. Hopefully the other fighter is ok.
It's so dangerous you literally don't execute full-force on another human outside of a real combat environment (you drill to the impact point and apply barely any force in training)! Which makes it a surreal thing to see in a sport when so many other things in line with how damaging that kind of move is have been outlawed.

Even if not career-ending, it can easily be completely career-altering, which is just not in line with practically everything else you can do legitimately in MMA/UFC outside of turning heel hooks full force to rip ligaments to shreds, which would just be a cnutish thing to do. The motto for sport should hopefully be to live and fight another day after patching up somewhat superficial wounds or head trauma, which that kick goes against.

I don't blame Rountree for executing it, but it really caught me off guard and I wonder how many gyms and dojos it was the talk of as those who have practiced the light form of it countless times, but never used it full force on another human, saw the effects right there on the big screen in a sports setting where it's the last place you'd expect to see such a thing.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Khalil Rountree Jr is slammed by UFC stars over his BRUTAL oblique kick on Modestas Bukauskas, with fellow fighters calling for his 'knee stomper' technique to be banned... but American defends his use of the 'great defensive move'
  • Khalil Rountree Jr beat Modestas Bukauskas on Saturday with an oblique kick
  • The move severely hurt the Lithuanian who now needs a MRI scan on his knee
  • The knee stomping action is one of UFC's biggest controversies at the moment
  • UFC stars were split over whether the fierce kick should remain legal in the sport
  • Rountree and Bukauskas defended the former's actions after the Las Vegas figh
UFC star Khalil Rountree Jr's brutal victory over Modestas Bukauskas has sparked a debate among the industry's fighters over whether the oblique kick should remain legal.

UFC middleweight star Kevin Gastelum tweeted: 'This strike should be illegal. It is a career ender. Who can we talk to about this? @ufc

'This in now way is a knock on Rountree. His performance and execution was great to watch. But this strike should be addressed.'

Welterweight competitor Belal Muhammad added: 'Ahhh that technique should be banned that's career changing.'

American heavyweight star Jamahal Hill posted: 'That's exactly why that s*** shouldn't be allowed!!! Hoe s***!!! #UFCVegas36'

Another lightweight star Vinc Pichel claimed: 'I don't care if I'm unpopular for this but that bulls*** kick should be banned.'

Meanwhile, current UFC bantamweight champion Aljamain Sterling said: 'Who wants to go into a fight, throw a jab, and get their entire knee destroyed… OUCH! OW! AHH! UGHH! That strike is a devastating one.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/u...sparks-debate-legality-knee-stomper-move.html

Causing the kind of discussion it should, as it shouldn't be in the sport - it's a martial art's move in the purest sense, and nothing to do with sport. The bolded above is pretty much the crux, and that's not sport.

Jon Jones is gonna be the most gutted if they ban the move, even though his use and angles are nothing like what Rountree did.

Luke1995

I am Brazilian and I am definitely NOT a Vitor Belfort fan. I hate the fact that one of my favorite fighters ever, Bisping, is one-eyed because of him.

Any cool person would have seen that Holyfield wasn't fit to fight and done some kind of light sparring exibition...

I couldn't be more happy for Anderson Silva though... he absolutely deserves a huge Jake Paul payday and i'd pick him to win even though Paul is twenty years younger.

Don't think Jake would risk it all though. It's fair easier to go up against a Tommy Fury and not get embarassed than Silva in a pure striking match.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Posted on Reddit, aparantly from Ariel Helwani.

Strange way to announce breaking news :lol:

If anyone wants to read the comments.

MarylandMUFan

Posted on Reddit, aparantly from Ariel Helwani.

Strange way to announce breaking news :lol:

If anyone wants to read the comments.
That is very 2000's pop-up add like. Like that someone (along with PFL?) is taking advantage of the conditions that the mid-level fighters fight under for UFC. Makes sense that Dana has been throwing out contracts to marginal fighters left and right on the Contender Series. He must be worried that some of these promotions are going to start picking his fighters off.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Feels properly odd to pop over to this thread after a UFC event and see that @George Owen is AWOL :nervous:.

Not a bad event that. Impressive maulings from Lippski and Ion, and an exciting main event with a very angry Anthony Smith. Just tuned in to Bellator and Ultimate Fighter prospect Saul Rodgers is looking good early on.

Pat_Mustard

Reassuringly Manc accent from Rogers after a good performance. He looked like one to watch in one of the few TUFs that I followed and seems a very good pressure fighter. Not sure if he's outstanding enough in any area to become a truly top prospect but he's definitely one to watch.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Feels properly odd to pop over to this thread after a UFC event and see that @George Owen is AWOL :nervous:.

Not a bad event that. Impressive maulings from Lippski and Ion, and an exciting main event with a very angry Anthony Smith. Just tuned in to Bellator and Ultimate Fighter prospect Saul Rodgers is looking good early on.
:lol:

Just having a little break. Currently on a cabin next to the Mettawee river, close to my lake (lake George hahah).

Didn't wanna miss the Tsarukyan fight, so managed to watch the last 4 fights. Good, dominant performances, specially Smith.

I'll be back on full capacity soon. Lurking mode for now, so I'll still be here in spirit.

Ps. Glad Saul won his fight.

Pat_Mustard

:lol:

Just having a little break. Currently on a cabin next to the Mettawee river, close to my lake (lake George hahah).

Didn't wanna miss the Tsarukyan fight, so managed to watch the last 4 fights. Good, dominant performances, specially Smith.

I'll be back on full capacity soon. Lurking mode for now, so I'll still be here in spirit.

Ps. Glad Saul won his fight.
:lol: Glad to hear you're alive and well man! Really wanted to stay awake for the Romero fight, despite it looking odds on to be terrible, but I'm teetering on the brink of unconsciousness and I'm critically low on beer so may have to call it a night.

RedFish

Diaz Lawler got me hyped. I think Lawler wins early but who knows what will happen.
Lawler can't pull the trigger under pressure. I reckon Nick schools him unless Lawler shows a dramatic change in the form he showed against Colby and more recently against Magney. I say that having no idea what kind of Diaz we're going to get but Ibe no doubt Robbie is shot.

poleglass red

so Diaz v Lawler fight is possibly being changed to middleweight from welterweight, no reason given although Dana said kind of jokingly:
“(Nick) probably doesn’t want to make weight. Every time you come into a Diaz fight, and we forget ‘cause we haven’t seen Nick in a few years.”
the other strange thing is that Cesar Gracie took to twitter to deny Diaz was injured or ko'd in sparring, I never knew either was being mentioned.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Lawler can't pull the trigger under pressure. I reckon Nick schools him unless Lawler shows a dramatic change in the form he showed against Colby and more recently against Magney. I say that having no idea what kind of Diaz we're going to get but Ibe no doubt Robbie is shot.
Nick hasn't fought in a long time and Robbie has at least fought more recently against tougher guys. I like both guys but my gut says Robbie takes this.

so Diaz v Lawler fight is possibly being changed to middleweight from welterweight, no reason given although Dana said kind of jokingly:
“(Nick) probably doesn’t want to make weight. Every time you come into a Diaz fight, and we forget ‘cause we haven’t seen Nick in a few years.”
the other strange thing is that Cesar Gracie took to twitter to deny Diaz was injured or ko'd in sparring, I never knew either was being mentioned.
It was on the Josh Thompson and Big John podcast where the rumor first started i believe. Nick got knocked out in sparring and doesn't want to do the weight cut while already vulnerable is what the streets are sayin. Robbie will accept the fight unconditionally probably but technically it's within his rights to get a cut of the purse.

Last edited:

poleglass red

Nick hasn't fought in a long time and Robbie has at least fought more recently against tougher guys. I like both guys but my get says Robbie takes this.

It was on the Josh Thompson and Big John podcast where the rumor first started i believe. Nick got knocked out in sparring and doesn't want to do the weight cut while already vulnerable is what the streets are sayin. Robbie will accept the fight unconditionally probably but technically it's within his rights to get a cut of the purse.
He's fought at middleweight in the past, certainly more times than Diaz anyway. I thought Diaz seemed focused in the interviews and training footage we saw, he actually spoke better than I've ever seen him before, maybe everything not as rosy as they would have you believe. I'm intrigued now and maybe that's what they want, as this morning I had Diaz winning this fight, now not so sure.

Luke1995

Is Diaz X Lawler scheduled for five rounds ? I really wish it was five rounds. (Although I could totally see it ending sooner)

I have absolutely no idea as to what to expect of that fight and I love it. First round will tell us alot.

Volkanovski X Ortega could be a tactical masterclass from Volkanovski although I have a slight feeling that Ortega is going to put him away.

I can't see anyone out-gamepplanning Volkanovski but I do believe Ortega has the tools to knock him out or submit him.

Charlie Foley

Is Diaz X Lawler scheduled for five rounds ? I really wish it was five rounds. (Although I could totally see it ending sooner)

I have absolutely no idea as to what to expect of that fight and I love it. First round will tell us alot.

Volkanovski X Ortega could be a tactical masterclass from Volkanovski although I have a slight feeling that Ortega is going to put him away.

I can't see anyone out-gamepplanning Volkanovski but I do believe Ortega has the tools to knock him out or submit him.
Yes

Ladron de redcafe

Nick Diaz is dismissing the upcoming fight all together, telling Brett Okamoto that the only fight that should be made is between him and Usman, and that he'd smash Usman.

The Diaz brothers never change. They're either supremely confident or flat out delusional, but I don't think many would give Nick Diaz a chance of beating a top welterweight in 2021.

Oldyella

What a waste of what should have been a goat career(and arguably still is). Domestic violence too.. I would say innocent till proven guilty etc but chances are its true!

Ladron de redcafe

How many arrests and out of the ring incidents has Jones had now?,

On top of the multiple positive PED tests, including the current shady 2 year break which has Jones targeting a very specific time frame to be back ("Q2 of 2022" which is 2 years after his last fight).

Is he really that big of a draw that Dana White and the UFC continue to put up with this?,

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
How many arrests and out of the ring incidents has Jones had now?,

On top of the multiple positive PED tests, including the current shady 2 year break which has Jones targeting a very specific time frame to be back ("Q2 of 2022" which is 2 years after his last fight).

Is he really that big of a draw that Dana White and the UFC continue to put up with this?,
He's the greatest of all-time for a lot of people (including me), which will always give him a pass until he's washed up, but with his financial demands and the fact he hasn't fought in ages, he's not going to be given much more rope - could even be the opportunity for Dana to drop him, if he's intent on not paying him his worth.

What comes up with regard to this arrest may be the final nails in the coffin, however, as beating up women would be a new low, even for Jon Jones and the UFC can't be seen to support that.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
He's the greatest of all-time for a lot of people (including me), which will always give him a pass until he's washed up, but with his financial demands and the fact he hasn't fought in ages, he's not going to be given much more rope - could even be the opportunity for Dana to drop him, if he's intent on not paying him his worth.

What comes up with regard to this arrest may be the final nails in the coffin, however, as beating up women would be a new low, even for Jon Jones and the UFC can't be seen to support that.
Greg Hardy.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
What time is Valentina fight at in the UK?

Got a puppy so I need to sleep while he’s sleeping too or else I’ll be hanging out my ass all day. I will just have to settle for 2 main events.

Also just seen that Max vs Yair is done for 13 November — fecking epic!

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What time is Valentina fight at in the UK?

Got a puppy so I need to sleep while he’s sleeping too or else I’ll be hanging out my ass all day. I will just have to settle for 2 main events.

Also just seen that Max vs Yair is done for 13 November — fecking epic!
It’s co-main so probably not til 4.30 at the earliest. The Diaz Lawler fight is a 5 rounder too so could be gone 5.