The MMA thread

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
So what next for Chimaev? I don't think I've ever seen someone who so relishes in beating up people. He's completely unfazed.

Andersons Dietician

Has Jan came out and said anything about being injured or anything? I mean sometimes you just know a submission is on and there is no point in toughing it out but that seemed like a super quick tap. Hand to hand grip and I think he was tapping before Glover even started cranking.

Yan is a weapon some of the combs were or choices mixing his strikes were brilliant. He’s going to run through Aljo.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Has Jan came out and said anything about being injured or anything? I mean sometimes you just know a submission is on and there is no point in toughing it out but that seemed like a super quick tap. Hand to hand grip and I think he was tapping before Glover even started cranking.

Yan is a weapon some of the combs were or choices mixing his strikes were brilliant. He’s going to run through Aljo.
I doubt that; he's going to make him suffer for as long as he can before taking him out late, I reckon.

I wonder how Sterling will approach the fight: go out on his shield or fold early as possible.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d

Jan was asked in the post-fight and didn’t say anything particular was wrong, but yeah, it looked super quick, like he’d broke his jaw or cheekbone or something

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So what next for Chimaev? I don't think I've ever seen someone who so relishes in beating up people. He's completely unfazed.
Probably a mid tier fight against an opponent who actually knows how to fight. He wants Nate (probably for financial reasons), but I think more likely he will face one of Chiesa, Magny, Bilal, or Masvidal, which will allow him to set himself up as a top contender if he wins.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I doubt that; he's going to make him suffer for as long as he can before taking him out late, I reckon.

I wonder how Sterling will approach the fight: go out on his shield or fold early as possible.
He's gonna kneed to head straight for Yan's knee.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Wonderboy saying he’s fighting end of the year/start of the new year. Nothing on the opponent yet

Andersons Dietician

Jan was asked in the post-fight and didn’t say anything particular was wrong, but yeah, it looked super quick, like he’d broke his jaw or cheekbone or something
I suppose he could have still been rocked and even more so given Glover cracked him in the head to move him in to the choke ala Diaz to MCGregor.

Womp

idiot
Yes. Usman isn't a draw. Colby hasn't gotten many fans with his MAGA hat. Masvidal's luck has run out. And Leon, well, he is too nice. It makes sense to push Khamzat.

He can build himself into a big star at WW and then have a massive champ vs champ superfight with Adesanya.

I could see Islam bouncing between divisions too though.
Masvidal like Diaz is still a huge draw though. Even if he's losing, people tune in because he's a character. Khamzat is ridiculous, but I'm still not sure he's earnt a title shot, it's all well and good being as dominant as he has been, but it would basically prove, what we all know, that this whole ranking system is fecking pointless. Only a fight or two ago he was unranked, fighting unranked guys, he gets his first ranked opponent and suddenly there are people suggesting he should fight for the title? I would like to see him fight Diaz, Burns or the winner of Masvidal/Edwards - then we can really see where his level is at.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Masvidal like Diaz is still a huge draw though. Even if he's losing, people tune in because he's a character. Khamzat is ridiculous, but I'm still not sure he's earnt a title shot, it's all well and good being as dominant as he has been, but it would basically prove, what we all know, that this whole ranking system is fecking pointless. Only a fight or two ago he was unranked, fighting unranked guys, he gets his first ranked opponent and suddenly there are people suggesting he should fight for the title? I would like to see him fight Diaz, Burns or the winner of Masvidal/Edwards - then we can really see where his level is at.
Agreed. He hasn't even fought anyone in the top 10 I don't think so it's crazy that people are even mentioning title shots :lol:

Although I do want to like him, I really want him to get KO'd. Mainly because I love seeing Dana's tomato face when one of his hype trains get derailed :lol:

Womp

idiot
Agreed. He hasn't even fought anyone in the top 10 I don't think so it's crazy that people are even mentioning title shots :lol:

Although I do want to like him, I really want him to get KO'd. Mainly because I love seeing Dana's tomato face when one of his hype trains get derailed :lol:
:D I do think it's a matter of time before he becomes champ, these Russians are grappling/wrestling at a level no-one can compete with, I just don't think he's close to earning a shot yet. Islam, Usman, Khabib etc. all had to earn a shot, but Khamzat fights his first ranked opponent and suddenly people are saying he has earnt a shot or is one fight away from earning one - just makes this whole numerical system look even more stupid than it already does.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
:D I do think it's a matter of time before he becomes champ, these Russians are grappling/wrestling at a level no-one can compete with, I just don't think he's close to earning a shot yet. Islam, Usman, Khabib etc. all had to earn a shot, but Khamzat fights his first ranked opponent and suddenly people are saying he has earnt a shot or is one fight away from earning one - just makes this whole numerical system look even more stupid than it already does.
He should fight one of Masvidal or Diaz.

Leon Edwards should get the next shot after Colby and then if Usman beats him, at least they can justify Chimaev title shot with the fact that Usman had cleaned out the division.

Womp

idiot
He should fight one of Masvidal or Diaz.

Leon Edwards should get the next shot after Colby and then if Usman beats him, at least they can justify Chimaev title shot with the fact that Usman had cleaned out the division.
Ye, I think Leon is only getting the shot if he gets past Masvidal first though. If Masvidal wins, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get another shot at the title due to his popularity. I would want to see Diaz vs Khamzat or maybe Burns too. He's should be another 2-3 fights at least from a title shot imo.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
The stat of him only having been hit with 4 significant strikes at all in his UFC career so far is eye catching enough that I'm not surprised he's been fast tracked to be fair, rightly or wrongly. The rankings are pointless bollocks in the UFC though I agree, also the sheer volume of interim titles they've created at random doesn't reflect brilliantly on the actual titles either.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Colby and Usman are so bad at trash talk :lol:

Really excited for the night though.

Gaethje v Chandler had the potential to be FOTY!!

Womp

idiot
Genuine question - why do both Gaethje and Chandler keep thinking a win here gets them a title shot? Both of their last fights were title fights, Gaethje got put to sleep and it wasn't even really competitive against a Khabib with barely no training camp and a broken foot and Chandler got knocked out. Both guys got finished and only just fought for the title.

I do think Islam or Beneil should be in the conversation, both have a far larger win streak and neither has actually fought for the belt.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Genuine question - why do both Gaethje and Chandler keep thinking a win here gets them a title shot? Both of their last fights were title fights, Gaethje got put to sleep and it wasn't even really competitive against a Khabib with barely no training camp and a broken foot and Chandler got knocked out. Both guys got finished and only just fought for the title.

I do think Islam or Beneil should be in the conversation, both have a far larger win streak and neither has actually fought for the belt.
Justin because he's number 2 and list to Khabib, who is one of the goats. Khabib retired, so gaethje back in conversation.

Chandler is an exciting name and of he beats gaethje then that pumps his stock again.

Which really good fighters have Islam or Dariush beat?

Womp

idiot
Justin because he's number 2 and list to Khabib, who is one of the goats. Khabib retired, so gaethje back in conversation.

Chandler is an exciting name and of he beats gaethje then that pumps his stock again.

Which really good fighters have Islam or Dariush beat?
The fact that they haven't beat top fighters, I'd agree, that's a valid point. Chandler beat Hooker and got a title fight right after - Islam did it and made it look even easier, whilst also having a far greater win streak though. I can see why Gaethje and Chandler will be the easy option, but it's not like their title shots were so close to the point where they should be able to run it back after one fight, they were both finished in the fight and in the case of Justin - it wasn't even a competitive fight.

I can see how they could justify them two and I do agree the UFC will give it to them, I just don't get as excited at the prospect of seeing them fight for the title again, as I would someone new and fresh.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
The fact that they haven't beat top fighters, I'd agree, that's a valid point. Chandler beat Hooker and got a title fight right after - Islam did it and made it look even easier, whilst also having a far greater win streak though. I can see why Gaethje and Chandler will be the easy option, but it's not like their title shots were so close to the point where they should be able to run it back after one fight, they were both finished in the fight and in the case of Justin - it wasn't even a competitive fight.

I can see how they could justify them two and I do agree the UFC will give it to them, I just don't get as excited at the prospect of seeing them fight for the title again, as I would someone new and fresh.
Did you see Dustin vs Justin 1? Would love a rematch of that.

Colby has basically gone for the right wing bro crowd. Hope the Rose fight goes a few rounds, would love to see a technical back n forth.

Luke1995

I think Masvidal catched lightning in a bottle 2019. He had been a pro since 2003 but never had his breakthrough moment until then.

As for Khamzat fighting for the title right now, it wouldn't be the first time. Brock and Anderson Silva got title shots in their second or third UFC appearance.

Ladron de redcafe

I think Masvidal catched lightning in a bottle 2019. He had been a pro since 2003 but never had his breakthrough moment until then.

As for Khamzat fighting for the title right now, it wouldn't be the first time. Brock and Anderson Silva got title shots in their second or third UFC appearance.
So did GSP. When a division is bereft of contenders and a newcomer stands out, it isn't ridiculous to give them an early title shot.

cyberman

So did GSP. When a division is bereft of contenders and a newcomer stands out, it isn't ridiculous to give them an early title shot.
That’s a problem as well though. You’re exposing exciting fighters that aren’t really ready. For all the shit boxing gets, they do allow their fighters to ripen.

Ladron de redcafe

That’s a problem as well though. You’re exposing exciting fighters that aren’t really ready. For all the shit boxing gets, they do allow their fighters to ripen.
Possibly, but it isn't the case if that fighter is ready. Silva was ready, and so was Lesnar.

Whether Chimaev is, is another matter. There's a big difference between the guys he's fighting and someone like Usman.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Dana is trying to book Khamzat and Nate. It will be Nates last fight on his ufc deal as well.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Dana is trying to book Khamzat and Nate. It will be Nates last fight on his ufc deal as well.
It'll probably be the last time Nate ever steps into a cage. He's admitted that he hates fighting and only does it for money. He has never looked good at WW. Chimaev will actually beat the living crap out of him for the entire fight as Nate doesn't quit. Would be a tough watch.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
It'll probably be the last time Nate ever steps into a cage. He's admitted that he hates fighting and only does it for money. He has never looked good at WW. Chimaev will actually beat the living crap out of him for the entire fight as Nate doesn't quit. Would be a tough watch.
Yeah I see him boxing a couple times then calling it a day. Hopefully he's been good with his money and doesn't need to come back like Nick.

Green_Red

Looking forward to seeing this Ian Garrys debut at 268. Has anyone followed him in cage warriors? I don't watch it, looks fairly capable from his highlights on YouTube.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Looking forward to seeing this Ian Garrys debut at 268. Has anyone followed him in cage warriors? I don't watch it, looks fairly capable from his highlights on YouTube.
Yeah, looking forward to his debut. The guy looks promising. Should beat the crap out of his opponent tomorrow.

ps. Patchy Mix just submitted young James Gallaguer with a guillotine.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Gaethje is pretty short with the bookies….is he really considered a heavy favourite against Chandler?