The MMA thread

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Sad to see Cruz get beat. One of my favourites to watch. But that style and all those injuries plus age is not a good mix.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Cruz needs to retire. Sad for him because his own style is too much for him to cope with and the moment his aged self stops the perpetual movement, he gets dropped time and time and time again.

Problem is the moment he fatigues, his patterns become clear and obvious and he doesn't seem to be aware of that in the heat of combat. I also think he doesn't know how to fight conventionally to the standard to be relevant, so even if he could resort to a conventional style once tired, it wouldn't help him much.

It's a real shame as you still glimpses of the untouchable version he was when champion and relatively injury free, but he's not added to or developed the style and it has been studied and dissected by opposing camps to the point they basically just leave him to punch himself out and then capitalise, that or take his legs away.

Cruz, Mighty Mouse, Dillashaw all used to be such fun to watch. :(

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Cruz needs to retire. Sad for him because his own style is too much for him to cope with and the moment his aged self stops the perpetual movement, he gets dropped time and time and time again.

Problem is the moment he fatigues, his patterns become clear and obvious and he doesn't seem to be aware of that in the heat of combat. I also think he doesn't know how to fight conventionally to the standard to be relevant, so even if he could resort to a conventional style once tired, it wouldn't help him much.

It's a real shame as you still glimpses of the untouchable version he was when champion and relatively injury free, but he's not added to or developed the style and it has been studied and dissected by opposing camps to the point they basically just leave him to punch himself out and then capitalise, that or take his legs away.

Cruz, Mighty Mouse, Dillashaw all used to be such fun to watch. :(
Agree with all that. I guess it's like watching a blisteringly fast and skillful winger... Amazing at their peak and then once age catches up, they either adapt a new way of playing or become irrelevant.

Ladron de redcafe

Dom is BW GOAT. DC is Jone's b*tch.
It's more accurate to say that Cruz is Garbrandt's bitch than it is to say that DC is Jones' bitch, given that the latter had to resort to PEDs and still didn't embarrass DC the way Garbrandt toyed with Cruz.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Agree with all that. I guess it's like watching a blisteringly fast and skillful winger... Amazing at their peak and then once age catches up, they either adapt a new way of playing or become irrelevant.
What's weird with him is that for such an analytical guy, he refuses to turn the lens on himself. He can't execute his own style anymore but persists with it and is getting some serious hits for it. Even before that awful KO he was getting dropped almost everytime he got caught flush, which makes you wonder how bad his punch resistance is by now.

It's a really bad and dangerous combination and you'd hope someone who he'll listen to will tell him it's time to call it a day before a young gun really does him serious damage. Can't even imagine how much of himself he lost with that last KO to compound what was already a seriously compromised chin.

cyberman

Cruz suffered as striking improved in MMA. Prime Cruz gets knocked out with his leading with his head nonsense imo. Can’t do that in the modern era

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Cruz suffered as striking improved in MMA. Prime Cruz gets knocked out with his leading with his head nonsense imo. Can’t do that in the modern era
He does it perfectly well in the modern era until he tires. Then he is timed and caught.

Even in this fight, everything goes well for him, until it doesn't.

RedFish

He does it perfectly well in the modern era until he tires. Then he is timed and caught.

Even in this fight, everything goes well for him, until it doesn't.
He's so refreshing to watch. Not just for sentimental reasons but AK on MMA fightings post fight show had it spot ok. - there's simply no one like him and it's a joy to watch. I will miss him when hes gone. Truly unique and quite brilliant with it. I think hes not completely shot, but his title ambitions are pretty much dead in the water.....I hope he fight on, I'll be incredibly sad when be calls it a day

RedFish

It's more accurate to say that Cruz is Garbrandt's bitch than it is to say that DC is Jones' bitch, given that the latter had to resort to PEDs and still didn't embarrass DC the way Garbrandt toyed with Cruz.
What a perfect performance that was. Pity for him he couldn't replicate his genius that night.
When all is said and done, Garbrandt's career pales in comparison. Everyone knows that.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He's so refreshing to watch. Not just for sentimental reasons but AK on MMA fightings post fight show had it spot ok. - there's simply no one like him and it's a joy to watch. I will miss him when hes gone. Truly unique and quite brilliant with it. I think hes not completely shot, but his title ambitions are pretty much dead in the water.....I hope he fight on, I'll be incredibly sad when be calls it a day
His style when applied like he used to be capable of really was something special and required elite opponents to keep up with, a real joy to watch and so unique.

Me personally, I don't like watching the greats on that horrid downward spiral unless they've modified themselves and adapted their game to their fading attributes - I don't like that Cruz is still trying to fight in the same way he did in his prime, not because he can't execute it for a bit, but because he's really getting damaged because of it ultimately.

The worst thing about this last fight was seeing how his effectiveness diminished the moment he tired and became predictable you go from being really impressed to thinking he needs to hang them up so quickly once his tank comes up short.

What will always be an issue for him, should he stay in the game and not retire is he is a massive scalp that any upcoming prospect will want to claim, which, for me, means a lot more brutal KO's following the same formula as we saw on Saturday - Dom looking like the business, getting tired, then being brutally KO'd. He's also so game that he'll keep getting up after being dropped until he's properly put down, which is where the heart and pride of these over the hill greats is actually detrimental.

I personally think it's better to remember what he once was, as he's just going to become more of a shadow of that if he keeps going out there and getting brain cells kicked and punched outof his head.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Got Edwards over Usman. As much as Usman is rated and the stratospheric improvements in his striking, Edwards is a consummate fighter, one who is dull and dish water but destined to be a champ, and a dominant one at that.

As long as he keeps his fingers out of eyes... I think he'll piece up an Usman who will try to stand-up with him until he realises the gulf there still is in striking is as apparent as ever. If he goes for wrestling as a secondary resort, it'll already be too late for him.

Think it goes the distance or there's a real extreme KO via a kick to the head on Usman's right side.

RedFish

Got Edwards over Usman. As much as Usman is rated and the stratospheric improvements in his striking, Edwards is a consummate fighter, one who is dull and dish water but destined to be a champ, and a dominant one at that.

As long as he keeps his fingers out of eyes... I think he'll piece up an Usman who will try to stand-up with him until he realises the gulf there still is in striking is as apparent as ever. If he goes for wrestling as a secondary resort, it'll already be too late for him.

Think it goes the distance or there's a real extreme KO via a kick to the head on Usman's right side.
I hope you're right. I've been waiting for this one for ever. Now is the time for Leon. Heart say Leon, head says 50/50.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I hope you're right. I've been waiting for this one for ever. Now is the time for Leon. Heart say Leon, head says 50/50.
No pokey fingers, Leon!

Really believe it’s his time; he’s definitely not the champ Dana wants, but he’s a really, really good fighter.

Abraxas

I'd be surprised, I think Usman has really improved and has massive confidence now. Hopefully I'm wrong.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I don’t care what you say, don’t care if I’m entirely tarred by the casual brush, don’t care if it’s genuinely noobish…..but I am so, so down for Costa vs Rockhold. So much more than Usman vs Edwards. Unless Edwards wins. I’m genuinely down for that, I just don’t see it happening

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I don’t care what you say, don’t care if I’m entirely tarred by the casual brush, don’t care if it’s genuinely noobish…..but I am so, so down for Costa vs Rockhold. So much more than Usman vs Edwards. Unless Edwards wins. I’m genuinely down for that, I just don’t see it happening
I'm super excited to see Rockhold get sent into another dimension again too.

Not really fussed about the main event. Don't get me wrong, still will see it but I suspect it will be a boring fight.

Also looking forward to Aldo. His fights are always fun.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I'm super excited to see Rockhold get sent into another dimension again too.

Not really fussed about the main event. Don't get me wrong, still will see it but I suspect it will be a boring fight.

Also looking forward to Aldo. His fights are always fun.
Yes and definitely yes :drool:

Plus, the more of Paulo I see (on Twitter) the more I love him. He has that unintentionally hilarious factor. I’m only slightly disappointed that he’s managed to control his weight this time…I was so able to identify with an inability to stop putting food in your mouth

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Yes and definitely yes :drool:

Plus, the more of Paulo I see (on Twitter) the more I love him. He has that unintentionally hilarious factor. I’m only slightly disappointed that he’s managed to control his weight this time…I was so able to identify with an inability to stop putting food in your mouth
"feck this old guy" :lol:

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Looking forward to seeing Rockhold knocked out again.

He goes out there like being handsome and hung keeps the punches from hurting, strange fighter.

Last edited: