The MMA thread

justboy68

Saved his energy perfectly in the 4th and brought everything in the 5th.

Pereira had the standing advantage imo. Every time up against the fence looked dangerous.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I don't think Izzy can overcome that size difference. It's two different weight classes in there and it shows when they hit each other.

Stated he'd lose way back when, but I thought it would be an earlier KO not one so late, after Izzy looked like he'd weathered the storm and was going to win with a champion's performance.

Don't see what will be different in a re-match: Adesanya has to fight a perfect fight for 5rds; Pereira just has to land a couple of times, if that. Too tilted, I think.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't think Izzy can overcome that size difference. It's two different weight classes in there and it shows when they hit each other.

Stated he'd lose way back when, but I thought it would be an earlier KO not one so late, after Izzy looked like he'd weathered the storm and was going to win with a champion's performance.

Don't see what will be different in a re-match: Adesanya has to fight a perfect fight for 5rds; Pereira just has to land a couple of times, if that. Too tilted, I think.
Izzy was winning the fight through 4 round, which is why Alex’s corner told him he had to try for a ko round 5. Otherwise Izzy could’ve easily won 4-1. Therefore a rematch will be in the cards. Very similar to the Usman Edwards situation.

Name Changed

weso26
Pereira can't keep cutting weight like that. It's only a matter of time before he doesn't make it or he gets seriously sick.

Ladron de redcafe

Pereira can't keep cutting weight like that. It's only a matter of time before he doesn't make it or he gets seriously sick.
He's massive for a middle weight. I thought Costa was huge but this guy is even bigger. He must be a legitimate 6"4 and is built like a tank. Every jab felt like a bomb.

They said he was around 220 lbs in there which is staggering. It's 15lbs over the weight limit for the division ABOVE his:lol:

At some point, the weight cutting might be a problem. In the meantime, he's already won the title so the pressure is off him. He can transition to LHW if he begins to have trouble cutting weight, and he should be s legitimate contender in that division as well.

Gordon S

Nobody beats Izzy on points, it has to be by brute force. As always, impressive fighting by Izzy but a snoozefest none the less.
Thank feck for Alex!
Could easily see him put LHWs to sleep as well.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Izzy should have tried to hold the center of the octagon more. A lot of the reason he was able to avoid most of the power shots from Pereira in their Glory fights was by using his head movement and leaning out of the way, can't do that with a cage behind you...

DC kept talking about Pereira being tired but it looked like the grappling also took a lot out of Adesanya, probably because he isn't used to expending energy with offensive grappling in fights. And despite engaging a lot of the clinches he didn't really seem to do much, opened up the body by constantly going for the high body-lock and Pereira snuck in a lot of knees in particular that I think helped down the stretch. And even when he's tired he just has that equalizing power that's going to always give him a chance.

I'm guessing we'll get an immediate rematch, which Izzy deserves on the basis of his run as champ + the fact he was up on the cards. Oddly reminiscent of his friend Usman in the way he lost his belt, 3-1 up against a seemingly fading opponent, winning the round probably and then gets stopped.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Izzy was winning the fight through 4 round, which is why Alex’s corner told him he had to try for a ko round 5. Otherwise Izzy could’ve easily won 4-1. Therefore a rematch will be in the cards. Very similar to the Usman Edwards situation.
Yeah, but I don't think he can keep him out for 25 minutes. Could see the rematch being almost identical.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Nobody beats Izzy on points, it has to be by brute force. As always, impressive fighting by Izzy but a snoozefest none the less.
Thank feck for Alex!
Could easily see him put LHWs to sleep as well.
I don't understand how anyone can see such a fight as a snoozefest - every single offensive action Adesanya made was absolutely rife with risk, which makes his performance highly impressive for fighting the majority of the fight offensively.

Pereira is just a giant compared to him - the size difference was even worse than when he fought Blacowicz, ffs. It is absurd, really and under those conditions, the smaller man usually gets mopped.

Adesanya came out of that fight than a number of his victories of late. He fought like a champion; Pereira just has bricks for hands.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
What a great final fight

I must say, israel has been so boring and conservative lately, but last night he was doing a great fight against a big tree, he outstroke him and obviously was keeping the belt in the points, i don't think he couldve done something different to win just to lose it on the 5th. Obviously rematch

And silvas record still unbroken

Castia

Izzy got rocked!

Wow Adasanya and Usman both dropping their belts in the past few months

A world champion who doesn’t know how to get out of a wrist lock! good fight but I can’t see this guy being able to compete against a top grappler

ZupZup

I think a rematch is still very interesting because Adesanya showed he does have the power to knock Pereira out too. I wasn’t expecting to see him rocked like at the end of that round.

I think Adesanya needed to put it on him in the 4th when Pereira was clearly gassed. He basically took the round off to recover, but Izzy allowed him to by not pushing the pace.

Poirier v Chandler was a great scrap too. Dustin has a hell of a chin and just a much higher fight IQ than Chandler. A decent card overall.

redom

Man, Chandler has accumulated some damage in his UFC stint, it makes for wildly entertaining fights but he's just too gung-ho for his own good, it feels like if he was just a little bit more measured he'd maintain the explosive threat he has but not be so open to taking shots and gassing himself, great fight though.

Pereira is a beast, like others have said I don't know how long he can keep making those types of cuts considering he's already 35, would be quite the move to just immediately vacate the title and move up to LHW to challenge Jiri if he beats his mma mentor Glover in the rematch.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Worst habit in MMA is this idea that a fighter was winning until he wasn’t. 4th / 5th rounds are so so dangerous in the sport
Izzy won 4 as well. And Alex’s victory had little to do with anyone gassing, he simply caught Izzy with a couple of good shots.

I was also struck by how much bigger Alex looked than Izzy, almost like he was a LHW fighting a MW

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
That was a striking clinic from two of the best in the world. The constant leg work and faints. Great fight .

redom

What happened?
Guessing it was the Hooker/Puelles fight, Puelles just wouldn't engage on the feet and kept going for imanari rolls and lying on the floor trying to get Hooker to come into his guard and then got finished by a few nice but not powerful kicks to the liver/solar plexus, was a bit of a strange one.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
I like Chandler overall but he's a dirty feck for that fish-hook.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Guessing it was the Hooker/Puelles fight, Puelles just wouldn't engage on the feet and kept going for imanari rolls and lying on the floor trying to get Hooker to come into his guard and then got finished by a few nice but not powerful kicks to the liver/solar plexus, was a bit of a strange one.
Oh my bad. I thought they were talking about the Chandler fight. Thanks for clearing up.

Castia

That Puelles guy should be fired on the spot. Easily one of the most bizarre/frustrating attempts at fighting I’ve ever seen.

Gordon S

I don't understand how anyone can see such a fight as a snoozefest - every single offensive action Adesanya made was absolutely rife with risk, which makes his performance highly impressive for fighting the majority of the fight offensively.

Pereira is just a giant compared to him - the size difference was even worse than when he fought Blacowicz, ffs. It is absurd, really and under those conditions, the smaller man usually gets mopped.

Adesanya came out of that fight than a number of his victories of late. He fought like a champion; Pereira just has bricks for hands.
Izzy was for sure impressive. As he always is.
Pereiras knock out power put a layer on it that is usually not there when Izzy is fighting. It made it less of a snooze than normal.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Izzy won 4 as well. And Alex’s victory had little to do with anyone gassing, he simply caught Izzy with a couple of good shots.

I was also struck by how much bigger Alex looked than Izzy, almost like he was a LHW fighting a MW
It's not almost. He allegedly weighted himself at 211 lbs.