The MMA thread

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Good thing i'm not betting on MMA, not sure if i've ever been right :lol:

redom

I was watching Mighty Mouse break down the first fight the other day and he kept highlighting the left kick for Islam, saying he should keep firing it and then bring it up, looks like Volk went to block to the body and got caught.

Name Changed

weso26
Volk is still an absolute legend. Went up a weight on short notice to fight a much bigger guy who is an absolute beast. He's class.

JP77

Neither should have.
That loss doesn’t hurt Usman at all at this point in his career. Took it on short notice and tbh there was barely anything in that fight, a draw would probably have been a fair result. Five rounds and that probably swings to Usman.

It’s tough to really rate these two on a high level like some are until they truly start fighting more top ranked fighters at similar size or pushing themselves to go up weight classes.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
If anyone ever doubted size being one of the most important factors, surely tonight put an end to that. Usman clearly a frame smaller and Volkanovski even smaller again. Both only really had a punchers chance

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Chimaev is reckoned to have broken his wrist in the 1st round. Would explain a lot in terms of how differently he approached the 1st to the 2nd.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
That loss doesn’t hurt Usman at all at this point in his career. Took it on short notice and tbh there was barely anything in that fight, a draw would probably have been a fair result. Five rounds and that probably swings to Usman.

It’s tough to really rate these two on a high level like some are until they truly start fighting more top ranked fighters at similar size or pushing themselves to go up weight classes.
No, I'm only worried about Volk's brain, getting KOd is never good.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Volk is still an absolute legend. Went up a weight on short notice to fight a much bigger guy who is an absolute beast. He's class.
He's a class act and I'm gutted for him. Hope I'm wrong but I do have a bad inkling that things could go south for him quite quickly now. If he really does come back as early as January to fight Topuria that's a really quick turnaround after a nasty KO loss, and Topuria has serious power as well.

redom

He's a class act and I'm gutted for him. Hope I'm wrong but I do have a bad inkling that things could go south for him quite quickly now. If he really does come back as early as January to fight Topuria that's a really quick turnaround after a nasty KO loss, and Topuria has serious power as well.
After watching his post fight presser it seems like he's going to push for that fight as soon as possible because he's having issues mentally when out of camp, I really hope that's something he can get help with because he's at that age where it can start to turn quickly and I'd like to think he'd be able to step away at the top instead of staying around too long because he can't adjust to not being a fighter. From the sound of it it's not something he's always experienced so maybe it was more circumstantial and he'll work his way out of it.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
After watching his post fight presser it seems like he's going to push for that fight as soon as possible because he's having issues mentally when out of camp, I really hope that's something he can get help with because he's at that age where it can start to turn quickly and I'd like to think he'd be able to step away at the top instead of staying around too long because he can't adjust to not being a fighter. From the sound of it it's not something he's always experienced so maybe it was more circumstantial and he'll work his way out of it.
Wow. He seems to be a really good lad so we can only hope he can work out his off the octagon issues

Pat_Mustard

Yeah that presser was sad to watch. He does seem so grounded and down to earth that I'd be optimistic that he'll work through it. There'll always be something for him to compete in recreationally at least if his body holds up at all - with his build he'd probably take to powerlifting like a duck to water, or he could go down the endurance sport route like Paul Felder. He seems to have a fantastic team around him as well, and you'd imagine that just about every fighter from his neck of the woods would love to have him involved with their coaching

Terry Chango

Goddammit. Was pumped for that fight (assumed Jones would roll over Stipe though)
Yep, same. Since 2020 we've only seen JJ fight twice. Once against Dominick Reyes and then Ciryl Gane earlier this year.

Was really hoping he'd be more active in the HW division and maybe down the line we'll see Jones V Aspinall, if the latter gets the interim title.

Last edited:

Oldyella

Yep, same. Since 2020 we've only seen JJ fight twice. Once against Dominick Reyes and then Ciryl Gane earlier this year.

Was really hoping he'd be more active in the HW division and maybe down the line we'll see Jones V Aspinall, if the later gets the interim title.
He's not getting any younger. Serious injury, wonder if he walks away? Preserves his record

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
To be honest the name values gone but Aspinall-Pavlovich is a potentially much better fight.

Hope Tom's been in the gym and comes in sharp, if he can get through the first 5 minutes and slow the pace down he should take this, he's better than Pavlovich everywhere technically.

Terry Chango

He's not getting any younger. Serious injury, wonder if he walks away? Preserves his record
Yep, very nasty and at his age, like you say, it's got to be something he's thinking about.

Happened to my mate when benching. The pec peeled away and had to be rolled back out again. Bearing in mind he'd been bulking up nice and slowly for the HW division, I can only imagine the dark place his mind is now going to take him.

We all know what happens to JJ when he's not training, in fight camp or in a good head space.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't think he cares tbh (plus he technically has one loss from the DQ). He'll squeeze another fight or two out of this then walk away imo.

predator

Youth NITK
I personally do not think the fight between Jones and Stipe will happen. I hope I am wrong and you can quote me on this in november. Stipe hasn't fought for 2 years atm and he looked finished against Ngannou. I'm expecting some sort of pull out. I do love Stipe, at his peak he was arguanly the HW GOAT. You are right about Pav though, he's the dark horse for me in the HW division.

After seeing what Jones did to Ciryl after 3 years of inactivity, no one is beating him. The guy is a otherworldly.
Called it in July.

cyberman

No more USADA so both off to roid up. I guarantee you retirements are postponed now

Pat_Mustard

To be honest the name values gone but Aspinall-Pavlovich is a potentially much better fight.

Hope Tom's been in the gym and comes in sharp, if he can get through the first 5 minutes and slow the pace down he should take this, he's better than Pavlovich everywhere technically.
Aye, I'm more excited for this than I was for Jones vs Stipe tbh. I've been an Aspinall fan since I first saw him so I'm nervous for him against such a dangerous opponent, especially as he fights so fearlessly and might well march straight into the early storm against Pav. Nothing to say he can't win that way either, although a more measured approach might be smarter.

Pat_Mustard

Aspinall has to be one of the most likeable people in the sport. He's seriously doing this the hard way too. I'd either forgotten or never known that Pav was the back-up fighter for Jones vs Stipe so has presumably been doing a full training camp. Looks like Stipe rejected Pav as an opponent, and I agree with Aspinall that no-one should really blame him at this point of his career. He effectively has one foot in retirement now, and Jones was a legacy fight for him.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Really hope he can pull this off at short-notice - I think he can beat Jones at HW too.