g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The MMA thread

shabz

Amazing kick by Paige, first thing that went through my head was what kind of flashbacks was Andre Fili having in the corner. :lol::lol:

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Hard to know where Petis would go from here if he loses tonight

All the pressure on him

Lost 3 in a row and now at featherweight

shabz

Showtime is back. So quick with his submissions. What a night of fights so far. Prelims were pretty solid as well.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Excellent fight and I'm glad to see Pettis get a win. Losing four straight fights would've been disastrous for Showtime so credit to him for getting the victory tonight. Nice work!

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So much for 145 being a shit division. Pettis, Olivera, Edgar, Aldo, Holloway, Rodriguez - plenty of talent in there.

Rick88

Didn't know whom to support between Condit (love him as a fighter) or Maia (as I train in Jiu Jitsu myself). But Maia's ground game is of a different level. Just give him the title shot for UFC 205 (New York, I think).

justboy68

feck it I want Maia to get the title shot. He is amazing. But he is 38 and time will catch up with him if he has to wait too long.

JP77

Can we just have Joe Lauzon fight Jim Miller on every card?

Thought PVZ looked poor in the first round, big KO finish though even if those hammerfists did look like some of the weakest ever thrown :lol: will be interesting to see who she matches up with next, I'd expect anybody in the top five to comfortably beat her so I'd be expecting somebody lower ranked again.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Didn't know whom to support between Condit (love him as a fighter) or Maia (as I train in Jiu Jitsu myself). But Maia's ground game is of a different level. Just give him the title shot for UFC 205 (New York, I think).
Are you long at it Rick? I started learning/training in Jiu Jitsu myself over a year ago and absolutely love it. At first it was just to keep fit and learn some self defence but I ended up giving up the sports like hurling and football that I played all my life (I'm 36) to keep at it!

Rick88

Are you long at it Rick? I started learning/training in Jiu Jitsu myself over a year ago and absolutely love it. At first it was just to keep fit and learn some self defence but I ended up giving up the sports like hurling and football that I played all my life (I'm 36) to keep at it!
Been a year and a few months. Got my blue in 11 months. I dabble in Muay Thai and boxing too, but Jiu Jitsu and Wrestling/Judo being my main facets. Used to play basketball but once MMA started, have completely left it.

UFC had a big role to play in me taking up MMA especially Jiu Jitsu. It was too fascinating. Nice to hear there are people like you on the caf training in MMA/Jiu Jitsu. There must be others too.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Been a year and a few months. Got my blue in 11 months. I dabble in Muay Thai and boxing too, but Jiu Jitsu and Wrestling/Judo being my main facets. Used to play basketball but once MMA started, have completely left it.

UFC had a big role to play in me taking up MMA especially Jiu Jitsu. It was too fascinating. Nice to hear there are people like you on the caf training in MMA/Jiu Jitsu. There must be others too.
I do kick boxing but will soon take up bjj and muay thai.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Thought PVZ looked poor in the first round, big KO finish though even if those hammerfists did look like some of the weakest ever thrown :lol:
haha yeah they looked weak but I think she already knew that the kick had finished Bec and she didn't want to hit her too hard. She's too nice :lol:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I recommend it to all. For all of Condit's striking abilities, he couldn't land one hit on Maia today. For one vs one fight (self defence), Jiu Jitsu will probably come on top every time.
You're doing well if whatever self defence situation you're in is one v one.

TheReligion

Abusive
From my limited experience the last thing you want to do in a real life situation is take someone to the floor as it leaves you open to be attacked from elsewhere however it's massively important you can fight off your back so jiu jitsu with some good striking is ideal.

Rick88

From my limited experience the last thing you want to do in a real life situation is take someone to the floor as it leaves you open to be attacked from elsewhere however it's massively important you can fight off your back so jiu jitsu with some good striking is ideal.
I totally agree. I have never been in a street fight and i never want to be. Anybody can have a weapon on them. Better avoid and walk away.

No matter how much one train in any sort of martial art. A person can take on one or two at a time. maybe three if one is pushing it. More than that, better run.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Aye, ideally you'd have both just in case but generally speaking the last thing I'd want is for a fight to go to the ground. So easy for some sly fecker to throw in a kick out of nowhere when you're that easy a target. Striking and moving ftw.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
There's talk of GSP making his return for December's UFC 206 in Toronto, possibly against Bisping for the title. What do we make of this?

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town

Did anyone listen to Rashad Evans on MMA Hour? Great interview. I used to hate Rashad but the more I hear from him in recent times the more he grows on me. Same with Rampage Jackson.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
this means more money fights or less money fights?

personally i don't really care for Silva and Shelby (Shelby specially). In a modern sport where you have rankings, no point of match making. let the best fight the best and start from there...

Maybe he is pissed with how the administration let Conor and some other big draws to call the shots of his fights and that's why he quits?

If Dana got 400millions, Silva probably got a good number as well, being an UFC employer for over 20 years. good luck to him, always seemed like a good guy.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
this means more money fights or less money fights?

personally i don't really care for Silva and Shelby (Shelby specially). In a modern sport where you have rankings, no point of match making. let the best fight the best and start from there...

Maybe he is pissed with how the administration let Conor and some other big draws to call the shots of his fights and that's why he quits?

If Dana got 400millions, Silva probably got a good number as well, being an UFC employer for over 20 years. good luck to him, always seemed like a good guy.
You'd hardly base things off those rankings though would you? They're not usually all that accurate imo.

Oggmonster

I don't think it's the hardest job in the world but I do think you need a match maker. Some of these mathematical formulas stuff (however that works, never heard of it myself) would surely bring up some duds? To have someone there controlling it is essential. There would be some shocking fights if it was all done on statistics. Match makers have been around for years and whilst I don't know the ins and outs if they weren't needed then they wouldn't exist really. I doubt it will change much though, Shelby has been doing it for years...Rogan alluded to him being the successor at the 202 weight in, albeit tongue in cheek. I'd imagine they will havbe something in place.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
those guys should remain backstage to be honest.

Anyway... watched the first episode of season 3 TUF Latin America, and as fecking usual, the chilean lost right away. One more in competition luckily.

16 guys, 8 per team, all lightweight. Only 1 winner. Coaches Chuck Liddell and Forrest Griffin. Filmed in Buenos Aires, Argentina.