The MMA thread

Oggmonster

I like Bisping and am glad he had a run as champion but from what I remember he was pushing for that Henderson fight from nearly straight after the Rockhold one.

I've got no video proof or anything and I could be wrong but I could of sworn I heard himk say somewhere (maybe on MMA hour or even in post fight press conference) he had a score to settle with Henderson. Maybe the UFC pushed him to say it and he did but he was going along with it.

JP77

He wanted it for sure and you can't blame him. The two have legit heat from the past and he wanted to avenge his loss before it was too late.

Bisping hasn't ducked fighters in a way where he's scared to fight them. In fact you can argue he didn't duck anybody in anyway. Henderson shouldn't have got a title shot (that was on the UFC) but you can see why Bisping would have wanted that fight for the title against one of his biggest rivals in the UK.

Didn't Bisping suffer an injury earlier in the year after the GSP fight originally fell through before being remade? There's been some bad timing. Whittaker got injured, Romero was then coming off of a loss, so was Rockhold before just recently beating Branch. Weidman and Jacare were too. Hardly ducked a load of fighters in fear when he then fought a guy who hasn't lost in 10 years and many are calling great again after his return.

Oggmonster

He wanted it for sure and you can't blame him. The two have legit heat from the past and he wanted to avenge his loss before it was too late.

Bisping hasn't ducked fighters in a way where he's scared to fight them. In fact you can argue he didn't duck anybody in anyway. Henderson shouldn't have got a title shot (that was on the UFC) but you can see why Bisping would have wanted that fight for the title against one of his biggest rivals in the UK.

Didn't Bisping suffer an injury earlier in the year after the GSP fight originally fell through before being remade? There's been some bad timing. Whittaker got injured, Romero was then coming off of a loss, so was Rockhold before just recently beating Branch. Weidman and Jacare were too. Hardly ducked a load of fighters in fear when he then fought a guy who hasn't lost in 10 years and many are calling great again after his return.
I'm sure he would of fought whoever the UFC wanted him to fight but equally I'm sure he was happy with the fights he got. Fair play to him cos he made a shit load of money off the GSP fight probably and I'm guessing he retires in a few fights time anyway and I'm happy he would of made some good money in a sport and an organisation which typically underpays fighters. At the same time I'm sure when he was injured he even admitted he would of fought GSP at the time but not anyone else cos of the pay day. That's kind of ducking people albeit your reason may be perfectly valid.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Hope Conor McWWEgor gets a proper ban.
Tired of that clown.

Rick88

Body triangles can exert alot of pressure. I tore someones intercostal muscles rolling as I had it on tight and they tried to twist around. Instant stoppage.

Disagree about Bisping ducking fights too. He's as game as they come.
It's painful as hell. I think he hurt himself when Porrier transitioned to mount while having the body triangle wrapped around.

Nice to see a fellow BJJ person on the caf. How long have you been training for?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I like Bisping and am glad he had a run as champion but from what I remember he was pushing for that Henderson fight from nearly straight after the Rockhold one.

I've got no video proof or anything and I could be wrong but I could of sworn I heard himk say somewhere (maybe on MMA hour or even in post fight press conference) he had a score to settle with Henderson. Maybe the UFC pushed him to say it and he did but he was going along with it.
Yes he definitely wanted it from the beginning, which in hindsight was part of his strategy to not lose the belt before making it to a big pay day at a future UFC PPV event (which eventually became the GSP fight). He probably made a couple of million off PPV points on top of the 600k he made for showing up and from Reebook.

http://thesportsdaily.com/mma-manifesto/ufc-217-fighter-salaries-reebok-attendance-gate/

BTW....its really bizarre how Rose Namajunes made more to show up than Joanna did. That can't be right.

Last edited:

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Yes he definitely wanted it from the beginning, which in hindsight was part of his strategy to not lose the belt before making it to a big pay day at a future UFC PPV event (which eventually became the GSP fight). He probably made a couple of million off PPV points on top of the 600k he made for showing up and from Reebook.

http://thesportsdaily.com/mma-manifesto/ufc-217-fighter-salaries-reebok-attendance-gate/

BTW....its really bizarre out Rose Namajunes made more to show up than Joanna did. That can't be right.
"But please remember – this is only an estimate, not official info"

Probably those number are not accurate.

Oggmonster

Joanna's contract could be loaded with a big win bonus as well where as Rose might of negotiated for a large upfront payment with no bonus. I think Kevin Lee did similar with his fight vs. Ferguson.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town

BTW....its really bizarre how Rose Namajunes made more to show up than Joanna did. That can't be right.
According to that, I make more than Wonderboy even if he fights the times :lol:

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Sounds like BS.

Its been over a year since his fight with Alvarez... time to vacate that belt.
Yeah I find it hard to believe.

Also, we're just about 6 weeks away from 219 and still no main event has been announced. What the hell is going on with that?

George Owen

Yeah I find it hard to believe.

Also, we're just about 6 weeks away from 219 and still no main event has been announced. What the hell is going on with that?
I think they were trying to get Conor to fight but his demands are too crazy...

Holm doesn't want to fight Cyborg.

No idea who else they might have as option... CM Punk?

We will have news by the end of the week for sure. they can't delay that shit for longer.

TheReligion

Abusive
It's painful as hell. I think he hurt himself when Porrier transitioned to mount while having the body triangle wrapped around.

Nice to see a fellow BJJ person on the caf. How long have you been training for?
Probably about 4 years now. I do all no gi sessions along with some wrestling and muay thai. Train about twice a week. You?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The delay with Conor is that he wants the UFC to cut him into an ownership scheme, which they are obviously not going to do. Conor just made upwards of $100m a couple of months ago, which is about 5 times what he would make in one UFC fight or the equivalent of about 2.5 years worth of UFC fights. In short, Conor doesn't need the UFC but they desperately need him since they don't have enough star power to push their PPV numbers to what they were when Conor and Rousey were both in the game.

The delay with Conor is that he wants the UFC to cut him into an ownership scheme, which they are obviously not going to do. Conor just made upwards of $100m a couple of months ago, which is about 5 times what he would make in one UFC fight or the equivalent of about 2.5 years worth of UFC fights. In short, Conor doesn't need the UFC but they desperately need him since they don't have enough star power to push their PPV numbers to what they were when Conor and Rousey were both in the game.
which is why they are leaking bs about him not fighting dec 30 because of beleator shenanigans

cyberman

He obviously has enough feck you money to not give a shit but using the death of a fighter as vindication is absolutely disgusting.

poleglass red

Apparently Nate Diaz has entered training camp and he's rumoured to be fighting Woodley at 219. :confused: UFC are getting desperate.

https://www.mmamania.com/2017/11/15...woodley-vs-nate-diaz-in-the-works-for-ufc-219

hopefully not true, would make an even bigger mockery of the rankings than anything before it. A man not even in. the equation for a shot at the lightweight title, goes up a weight class and gets a shot. His record at ww is uninspiring at best. If he wants to go up to ww, have him earn a shot, have him fight a Magny, Usman, Nelson or Till, beat one of them well, then fight a top 3-4 fighter and then we can talk about title shots. Is this man ever milking his Conor fights, get back in the ring and prove yourself.

JP77

Bizarre but I honestly wouldn't rule it out. They probably want Woodley defending on the show and the issue is most of the top guys are coming off of losses or have just fought (or about to fight in RDA/Lawler's case). Still completely out of the blue.

I don't give Nate much chance against most of the top fighters but could you imagine they booked it and he somehow pulled it off...you just fecking know they'd be booking McGregor/Diaz 3 with McGregor going for a 3rd title :lol:

cyberman

Welterweight is a bit of a mess at the minute. Give the champ a payday and a more than winnable fight to let RDA etc sort it out between them. It just feels like everybody is 1 or 2 wins away rather than a legit contender being forced to wait.

poleglass red

Bizarre but I honestly wouldn't rule it out. They probably want Woodley defending on the show and the issue is most of the top guys are coming off of losses or have just fought (or about to fight in RDA/Lawler's case). Still completely out of the blue.

I don't give Nate much chance against most of the top fighters but could you imagine they booked it and he somehow pulled it off...you just fecking know they'd be booking McGregor/Diaz 3 with McGregor going for a 3rd title :lol:
there's still legitimate ww in the rankings that haven't fought recently. I named a few above. Problem is they don't have the appeal that Diaz has, and as you know money talks. They also need the champ to look good again after the Maia and Wonderboy fights being so uneventful. Diaz is usually involved in exciting fights, I think he'd give it a good go but come up short against Woodley.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Sad how they’re clutching at straws to find a main card for what is supposed to be the biggest card of the year. I suppose having the likes of Jones, Rousey, Lesnar, MacDonald et al available would’ve come in handy right about now.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Sad how they’re clutching at straws to find a main card for what is supposed to be the biggest card of the year. I suppose having the likes of Jones, Rousey, Lesnar, MacDonald et al available would’ve come in handy right about now.
jesus spot the odd one out in the list you mentioned :lol:

Their biggest cards of the year are the summer one and the New York one

Still its shabby planning not to have a main event yet for this one

Raoul

Admin
Staff
jesus spot the odd one out in the list you mentioned :lol:

Their biggest cards of the year are the summer one and the New York one

Still its shabby planning not to have a main event yet for this one
Their NYE cards have historically also been one of the biggest of the year. Seems they no longer have enough fighters to create a massive card at the moment.

Oggmonster

MacDonald? If he was still around I'm guessing the booking would of been the exact same. He's hardly a huge draw, he would do no better numbers than most of WW contenders like Lawler, RDA even the likes of Thompson who has had an awful fight vs. Woodley would probably do similar numbers.

UFC's problem which you've alluded to in the past is their inability to promote fighters. Woodley is a perfect example, after his last fight Dana was shitting all over him now he's rumoured to be headlining the NYE card it's crazy. They're literally Conor or bust at this point. I don't think any of the other champions (maybe except GSP) would draw even over 500k buys which is pretty poor for an organisation that big. They have a whole host of entertaining fighters and personalities but don't care cos for a brief period they hit the jackpot with McGregor. I don't even think Nate pulls in big numbers without Conor personally, it seems some desperation to build up a Conor vs. Nate fight....it's weird cos Woodley probably picks him apart easily and if anything that lowers the stock of that fight.

poleglass red

MacDonald? If he was still around I'm guessing the booking would of been the exact same. He's hardly a huge draw, he would do no better numbers than most of WW contenders like Lawler, RDA even the likes of Thompson who has had an awful fight vs. Woodley would probably do similar numbers.

UFC's problem which you've alluded to in the past is their inability to promote fighters. Woodley is a perfect example, after his last fight Dana was shitting all over him now he's rumoured to be headlining the NYE card it's crazy. They're literally Conor or bust at this point. I don't think any of the other champions (maybe except GSP) would draw even over 500k buys which is pretty poor for an organisation that big. They have a whole host of entertaining fighters and personalities but don't care cos for a brief period they hit the jackpot with McGregor. I don't even think Nate pulls in big numbers without Conor personally, it seems some desperation to build up a Conor vs. Nate fight....it's weird cos Woodley probably picks him apart easily and if anything that lowers the stock of that fight.
the McDonald fight would have been good as a fight fan as McDonald has a win over Woodley, they maybe could have hyped that up a bit. Problem is as you say, not a great pull numbers wise. I was the Toronto fight a few yrs back where McDonald absolutey destroyed Diaz, yet maybe due to his lack of charisma, McDonald doesn't do the numbers. Considering his fight with Lawlor which was a war, it certainly isn't down to his ability. I think Woodley needs a gimme fight, where he can showcase his talent. His last few fights have been poor spectacles. I thinks that's possibly the thinking behind Diaz.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

When you are losing fighters to retirement, long term drug suspensions, long term injuries etc. you need to retain as many middle to uppper tier fighters as possible because they add value to PPV cards. MacDonald may not be the main event on most cards, but he would certainly create an interesting match up to fill out a big card.

Oggmonster

the McDonald fight would have been good as a fight fan as McDonald has a win over Woodley, they maybe could have hyped that up a bit. Problem is as you say, not a great pull numbers wise. I was the Toronto fight a few yrs back where McDonald absolutey destroyed Diaz, yet maybe due to his lack of charisma, McDonald doesn't do the numbers. Considering his fight with Lawlor which was a war, it certainly isn't down to his ability. I think Woodley needs a gimme fight, where he can showcase his talent. His last few fights have been poor spectacles. I thinks that's possibly the thinking behind Diaz.
When you are losing fighters to retirement, long term drug suspensions, long term injuries etc. you need to retain as many middle to uppper tier fighters as possible because they add value to PPV cards. MacDonald may not be the main event on most cards, but he would certainly create an interesting match up to fill out a big card.
I don't disagree with the fact he would be good value. I like watching him and whilst I agree the UFC should of kept him on I don't really think he makes a massive difference to any cards. I think there's plenty of fighters though in the UFC who would draw similar or better numbers than him. He's a huge stand out name in the list you provided lets be honest.

The UFCs problem is people like MacDonald could of been big draws but they didn't capitalise on it properly. Now they're left scrambling and may have one of their bigger PPV dates headlined by someone who Dana White slated after his last fight.

George Owen

So yeah, finally Holm did man up and we have a main event for ufc219.

ps. Woodley already sign the contract and its calling Nate Diaz to do the same... But Nate want none of that.

George Owen

Yep, not bad. Holm looked pretty shitty on the previous title fight, so I'm wondering if she gonna get murdered or maybe she shock the world once again.

Oggmonster

PRetty shit main event (which it's meant to be)

Can never get in to Cyborg fights cos she has such a clear advantage due to the fact she's hammered steroids for years and Holm is 1-3 in her last 4 still dining out on the fact that she beat Ronda 2 years ago. The rest of the card is good though so I'll watch, it's a shame there's not a better name headlining cos it'd be some good exposure for some of the fighters on the card.