The MMA thread

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
There was nothing wrong with him coming in imo. Gastelum just clocked him with a left hook that sent him down.
I'm not really saying it had an impact on him in this fight, more that as a general rule fighters shouldn't be allowed to fight again three weeks after a fight like the GSP one. That would have been the case even if he had beaten Gastelum.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'm not really saying it had an impact on him in this fight, more that as a general rule fighters shouldn't be allowed to fight again three weeks after a fight like the GSP one. That would have been the case even if he had beaten Gastelum.
I suspect it was also Bisping throwing a bone to Dana and the UFC so that they would view him more favorably for a future pre-retirement London fight.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It makes no sense. Unless he thought a win could lead to a quick turnaround and have the fight in England be a title fight?
Even then that's a stretch
Doubt there was much more to it than fitting in one more payday before his final fight.

Edit: Also maybe what Raoul said above.

Nah he will retire in England

He deserves a main event again in Manchester
Dan Henderson retired?
One more go with him to settle that, although he took a lot of punishment in that fight, so maybe now

But fair fecks to bisping, never ducks anyone, took this on no notice after just losing his title,

Raoul

Admin
Staff
My current top 10 at Middleweight:

1. Georges St-Pierre
  2. Robert Whittaker
  3. Luke Rockhold
  4. Chris Weidman
  5. Yoel Romero
  6. Kelvin Gastelum
  7. Michael Bisping
  8. Jacare Souza
  9. Paulo Costa
  10. Anderson Silva

Fights that should happen:

1. GSP v Whitaker - Logical title unification fight which GSP was contractually bound to do if he beat Bisping

2. Romero v Rockhold - Solid contender elimination bout. Winner fights the winner of GSP/Whitaker

3. Paolo Costa v Gastelum - Young upstart elimnation fight. Winner goes into the top 4 in the rankings and competes for the number 1 contender position.

4. Weidman v Bisping - Solid opponent for Bisping's farewell fight. Weidman lost three in a row before beating Gastelum and Bisping would obviously be up for it for his England farewell fight.

JP77

DC will absolutely maul him. Volkan IMO will be relying on something similar to what he got against Manuawa, a crazy burst and then catching DC flush, can never rule it out but I don't see it happening. DC has shown he has a very good chin. I can see Cormier grinding him down and probably submitting him.

Hopefully Gus comes back well from his surgery, he's the only guy I give good chance against Cormier. It tells you everything you need to know about the division when you see Nog ranked in at 11th in 2017. They need some fresh blood coming through badly in the division.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
DC will absolutely maul him. Volkan IMO will be relying on something similar to what he got against Manuawa, a crazy burst and then catching DC flush, can never rule it out but I don't see it happening. DC has shown he has a very good chin. I can see Cormier grinding him down and probably submitting him.

Hopefully Gus comes back well from his surgery, he's the only guy I give good chance against Cormier. It tells you everything you need to know about the division when you see Nog ranked in at 11th in 2017. They need some fresh blood coming through badly in the division.
I don't know how this one will go. DC is old now and Oedzimir's last two fights were over in a collective 70 seconds.

JP77

I don't know how this one will go. DC is old now and Oedzimir's last two fights were over in a collective 70 seconds.
I give him the burst and finish chance as I said. I don't rule anybody out. He's a good fighter but I need a lot of convincing to believe he's great. If he doesn't finish DC with one of those crazy eruptions like Manuwa then how/where does he beat DC? No way is he out grappling him or out wrestling him. In fact I also don't believe he's a better striker either.

We'll see if the Jones loss has an effect on Cormier. I don't buy the old stuff at all. Sure, he's got to eventually slow down but 4 months back this was a dude that was arguably 2 rounds up against Jon Jones, a guy who was not only potentially cheating but a guy who is regarded as the pound for pound greatest of all time by many. DC has only ever been beaten by Jones. I just don't see him losing to Volkan unless he catches him and shocks a lot of people, which admittingly can happen to the best of fighters.

I see him trying to explode on Cormier at stages, maybe lands a few but Cormier weathers the storm and slowly grinds him down. Cormier is a better striker than he get's credit for. I think he'll have some success on the feet but will get it down to the mat, tire Volkan and that'll eventually give him opportunities to sub him.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
DC took Rumble's best shot and not only survived but man handled him. Can see a similar thing happen again.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Volkan has a mean (the meanest) short hook. One of those to your ear and you are lights out right away (like Misha) or ice skating (like Manuwa before getting finished).

Always that short hook for him. If DC can avoid it before putting his hands on Volkan, he will manhandle him easy.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
One of the girls out of the main event tomorrow night

We saw on the show she struggled badly with the weight cut so it’s not really a surprise

So Roxanne takes her spot

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I have my doubts over DC. He was brutally knocked out by Jones not long ago so I'm questioning how much impact that has had on DC's ability to take a shot. I'm not sure he comes back with that granite chin he had prior to the Jones fight and Oezdemir has nasty knockout power. I also wonder much he has recovered from the Jones fight mentally. Oezdemir could be catching DC at the right time imo.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I have my doubts over DC. He was brutally knocked out by Jones not long ago so I'm questioning how much impact that has had on DC's ability to take a shot. I'm not sure he comes back with that granite chin he had prior to the Jones fight and Oezdemir has nasty knockout power. I also wonder much he has recovered from the Jones fight mentally. Oezdemir could be catching DC at the right time imo.
DC is one of the best in all of MMA, but at nearly 39, one has to ask how much more he has in his tank, especially when it comes to dealing with a red hot upstart like Oedzimir.

George Owen

One of the girls out of the main event tomorrow night

We saw on the show she struggled badly with the weight cut so it’s not really a surprise

So Roxanne takes her spot
yep, Sijara was struggling from the beginning with the cuts.

The finalists were the 12 and 14 seed respectively. Speaks volumes of the lack of quality in the majority of this girls.

Anyway, Roxy got lucky and has a new chance (3rd) to win TUF... we'll see. I got Nicco Montaño to win the final though. She is the hardest to take down, and Roxy without her GnP is shit.

ps. Montana has a lot of potential in the UFC. Young, sexy and can fight wrestle.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
My current top 10 at Middleweight:

1. Georges St-Pierre
  2. Robert Whittaker
  3. Luke Rockhold
  4. Chris Weidman
  5. Yoel Romero
  6. Kelvin Gastelum
  7. Michael Bisping
  8. Jacare Souza
  9. Paulo Costa
  10. Anderson Silva

Fights that should happen:

1. GSP v Whitaker - Logical title unification fight which GSP was contractually bound to do if he beat Bisping

2. Romero v Rockhold - Solid contender elimination bout. Winner fights the winner of GSP/Whitaker

3. Paolo Costa v Gastelum - Young upstart elimnation fight. Winner goes into the top 4 in the rankings and competes for the number 1 contender position.

4. Weidman v Bisping - Solid opponent for Bisping's farewell fight. Weidman lost three in a row before beating Gastelum and Bisping would obviously be up for it for his England farewell fight.
Sounds about right. Dunno about Romero below Weidman though, when he almost murdered him in the not so long ago.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Sounds about right. Dunno about Romero below Weidman though, when he almost murdered him in the not so long ago.
You're probably right there, although Weidman just won his last fight and Romero just lost his last one, but they could easily be interchangeable on the top 10.

George Owen

awful fight. The drunken guys from my bar have better technique than this guys.

Also, you would think they are fighting in Mexico city. weird fight.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
@Raoul disagree with those rankings. Whittaker and Romero should be #1 and #2 imho, Rockhold #3 then GSP, then Weidman

Btw, who do we got for tonight? I have Ngannou and Holloway winning

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Predictions time.

Max Holloway (c) vs Jose Aldo
Alistair Overeem vs Francis Ngannou
Henry Cejudo vs Sergio Pettis
Eddie Alvarez vs Justin Gaethje
Tecia Torres vs Michelle Waterson

Charles Oliveira vs Paul Felder
Alex Oliveira vs Yancy Medeiros
David Teymur vs Drakkar Klose
Felice Herrig vs Cortney Casey

Abdul Razak Alhassan vs Sabah Homasi
Jeremy Kimball vs Dominick Reyes
Justin Willis vs Allen Crowder
Amanda Cooper vs Angela Magana

I was tempted to go with Aldo but after seeing him on the scales yesterday I'm going with Holloway. I can see it going similar to the first fight with Aldo maybe winning the first couple of rounds then Holloway will start to take over and get the stoppage win. Overeem and Ngannou is an interesting one, I can see Overeem using a lot of movement to avoid Ngannou's power but I think eventually Ngannou will connect and knock Overeem out. I don't think his chin can hold up to that sort of power.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
@Raoul disagree with those rankings. Whittaker and Romero should be #1 and #2 imho, Rockhold #3 then GSP, then Weidman

Btw, who do we got for tonight? I have Ngannou and Holloway winning
Romero is 40 years old and just coming off a loss - on top of which he recently came off a USADA suspension which suggests he needs drugs help to remain competitive at this stage of his career. I can perhaps see the arguement that he could be 4 instead of 5 (swap with Weidman), but then again Chris is coming off a win and Romero a loss, so they are naturally going in opposite directions. No chance Romero at the age of 40 is #2 right now. On current form - GSP, Rockhold and Whitaker the best fighters in that division.