The MMA thread

poleglass red

That works both ways for Conor as well. He has missed fights due to his infantile behavior of not wanting to fly to Vegas to do promo work and more recently due to his antics at Bellator events. That's actually worse than Khabib missing weight or getting injured.
Which fights did he pull out of.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Which fights did he pull out of.
He caused the cancellation of his fight with Nate Diaz at UFC 200, which was later rescheduled because Conor didn't want to do leave Iceland to do media. He then caused a the cancellation of his performance at UFC 219 because he shoved ref Marc Goddard at Bellator 187.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
He caused the cancellation of his fight with Nate Diaz at UFC 200, which was later rescheduled because Conor didn't want to do leave Iceland to do media. He then caused a the cancellation of his performance at UFC 219 because he shoved ref Marc Goddard at Bellator 187.
That was just a convenient made up excuse.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I back Conor with his Dana feud though.
He was cut up about that fighter dying, I have a cousin training at the gym and everything fell apart for a good while after. Kavanagh was a mess.
Dana mishandled that whole situation.
If he was so cut up, why jump into the cage when a fighter is KO then hassle the ref, who's trying to attend to said KO'd fighter and cause the poor guy more issues?

Khabib was on beast mode yesterday.

The Bloody-Nine

Khabib would smash McGregor, in my opinion. Thought that before last night and I haven't changed my mind.

Khabib vs Ferguson for the right to fight McGregor would be an enormous joke. If that happens, the UFC can give up all pretensions of being any more credible than boxing.

cyberman

If he was so cut up, why jump into the cage when a fighter is KO then hassle the ref, who's trying to attend to said KO'd fighter and cause the poor guy more issues?

Khabib was on beast mode yesterday.
I can't see how that two are connected?

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
McGregor has a better take down defence than Barboza, he has more striking power too. My money would be on Khabib walking straight into a McGregor left.

poleglass red

Haha wise up mate. He fought Diaz at 2 weight classes above his own. He was never scheduled ever to fight at UFC 219. Compare that to Khabibs record. Tabloid shite lad ur coming out with.

poleglass red

Nearly every fighter conor has fought has been a stand in. Andy ogle replaced by Holloway who McGregor beat on one leg after suffering a knee injury. Hes now the fw champ. Cole Millar was replaced by Diego Brando.RDA never wanted conor n pulled out. ALDO didn't take it, Frankie Edgar didn't take it either both knocked it back. Conor fought Diaz at 2 weight classes above and lost. Rematch offered against a natural ww at lw by UFC and he refused it and fought at ww in rematch. U may not like him but give him his dues and don't insult my intelligence by comparing Khabibs lack of ring action with his. Conor fought anyone in his prime. I don't see him fighting again maybe once more. When Khabib is in that money class maybe he'll be selective on who he fights. He's pretty selective even without his money

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Khabib would smash McGregor, in my opinion. Thought that before last night and I haven't changed my mind.

Khabib vs Ferguson for the right to fight McGregor would be an enormous joke. If that happens, the UFC can give up all pretensions of being any more credible than boxing.
Khabib is a pretty wily fighter and would likely have an effective counter measure against Conor’s left just as he had against Edson’s vaunted leg kicks and Flying knees. Conor would have a similar tactic in preventing a takedown, although once Khabib gets his hands on him at close range, I can’t see what anyone avoiding getting taken down.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
I'm not completely sure Ferguson would beat Conor but Khabib would be a horrible matchup for the irishman. He would absolutely destroy him.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Khabib hasn't got knockout power. He was multing the head off Barboza with all his might for the entire fight and Barboza was still standing at the end of it.

McGregor has alot more tools in his box, he's a far more intelligent fighter too. People saying Khabib would absolutely destroy him fullstop are way off the mark.

Last edited:

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
He was kicked off the card.
He never had a fight scheduled for 219

There was nothing signed at all. Not sure where you heard otherwise? Sure there was talk of him possibly being on the card but they were miles off getting anything sorted

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He never had a fight scheduled for 219

There was nothing signed at all. Not sure where you heard otherwise? Sure there was talk of him possibly being on the card but they were miles off getting anything sorted
It was being worked behind the scenes in October and was cancelled after Conor's WWE antics at the Bellator event. See Helwani's Nov 13th podcast interview with Mike Mazulli.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I'm not completely sure Ferguson would beat Conor but Khabib would be a horrible matchup for the irishman. He would absolutely destroy him.
Watched the fight last night and I can’t help thinking Khabib wouldn’t be able to come forward at will like that against Conor

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Watched the fight last night and I can’t help thinking Khabib wouldn’t be able to come forward at will like that against Conor
You also have to consider that Conor may not be as assertive in coming forward knowing that Khabib can't be allowed to get too close to him. Conor's take down defense is a good but not world class to where he could easily repell Khabib's take down defense.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
You also have to consider that Conor may not be as assertive in coming forward knowing that Khabib can't be allowed to get too close to him. Conor's take down defense is a good but not world class to where he could easily repell Khabib's take down defense.
Conor didn't come forward that much in his last fight against Alvarez. He stood his ground more, kept him at arms length while picking him off with tremendous accuracy. That tactic I feel would work against Khabib who just seems to walk towards his opponent like a man possessed and a defence that Conor would find a hole in handy enough.

Conor has a fair jaw on him too. Even if Khabib got him down and didn't submit him, I reckon he'd soak up what Barboza did. Thing is Conor would be a different animal to Barboza if he got up.

Andersons Dietician

Just finished watching the weekends fights. What I’ve taken away from the Barboza vs Kahbib fight is damn.... both men are actually scary because some of those early kicks from Barbosa actually had me checking kicks on my couch. Then that late spinning heal kick when he was already a broken man I actually gasped and pulled my hand to my mouth, just crazy the power and speed he kicks at. Also way to take a beating.

Kahbib..... normally I hate that kind of fighting, but watching him is something else, he is levels above anyone else at grappeling. The amount of technical little things you see him do, he is in complete control. It’s an art form. He also was walking through some of those kicks. What a performance, I actually believe he would walk through Connor and Ferguson in one night.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Conor didn't come forward that much in his last fight against Alvarez. He stood his ground more, kept him at arms length while picking him off with tremendous accuracy. That tactic I feel would work against Khabib who just seems to walk towards his opponent like a man possessed and a defence that Conor would find a hole in handy enough.

Conor has a fair jaw on him too. Even if Khabib got him down and didn't submit him, I reckon he'd soak up what Barboza did. Thing is Conor would be a different animal to Barboza if he got up.
That's why it would be a good fight. An iconic clash between world class striking and a world class grappling/ground game.

Last edited:

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Just finished watching the weekends fights. What I’ve taken away from the Barboza vs Kahbib fight is damn.... both men are actually scary because some of those early kicks from Barbosa actually had me checking kicks on my couch. Then that late spinning heal kick when he was already a broken man I actual gasped and pulled my hand to my mouth, just crazy the power and speed he kicks at. Also way to take a beating.

Kahbib..... normally I hate that kind of fighting, but watching him is something else, he is levels above anyone else at grappeling. The amount of technical little things you see him do, he is in complete control. It’s an art form. He also was walking through some of those kicks. What a performance, I actually believe he would walk through Connor and Ferguson in one night.
:lol: Yeah I definitely felt them more than Khabib did. Crazy tough to not even register them

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
:lol: Yeah I definitely felt them more than Khabib did. Crazy tough to not even register them
He caught Khabib a good one in the second I think? Other fighters would have gone done no doubt.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
He caught Khabib a good one in the second I think? Other fighters would have gone done no doubt.
Think Khabib was just gonna keep coming forward at all costs, because he's so brutal on the ground, and it worked for him. Not sure he'd be able to do that with Conor, he'd have to give him a bit more respect IMHO

JP77

Barboza is a very underrated fighter. Good tank and a bit of a warrior. Most fighters would have been done inside a round.

I wouldn't write off McGregor because he's a talented fighter but on paper Khabib looks like one of the worst match ups possible for him. A dude that can take shots, has a relentless pace, comes forward with crazy pressure, is ridiculously strong and is a ridiculous wrestler. There's been a lot of underrating of Khabib over the last year or so due to his injuries. McGregor was man handled at times by a guy like Mendes, Khabib is a different level in terms of strength and wrestling. I've pointed out numerous times as well how McGregor is so open on his feet, slightly masked by being a very good striker with a good enough style/stance/movement.

Not confident the fight happens anyway. If it does I'd have Khabib as a strong favourite. Injuries have been his big issue. The focus needs to be on Khabib/Ferguson right now.

Andersons Dietician

I feel like you’re really underestimating the level of striker Barboza is, because arguably he is one of the best in the UFC. Yes a lot more of his game is based on leg kicks and going forward where Conner is punching and countering but I don’t think I’d rate Connor anywhere near Barboza in terms of striker.

It is fighting so if anything connects anything can happen, but let’s not down play how impressive Kahbib performance was against one of the best strikers in all of MMA

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Barboza is a very underrated fighter. Good tank and a bit of a warrior. Most fighters would have been done inside a round.

I wouldn't write off McGregor because he's a talented fighter but on paper Khabib looks like one of the worst match ups possible for him. A dude that can take shots, has a relentless pace, comes forward with crazy pressure, is ridiculously strong and is a ridiculous wrestler. There's been a lot of underrating of Khabib over the last year or so due to his injuries. McGregor was man handled at times by a guy like Mendes, Khabib is a different level in terms of strength and wrestling. I've pointed out numerous times as well how McGregor is so open on his feet, slightly masked by being a very good striker with a good enough style/stance/movement.

Not confident the fight happens anyway. If it does I'd have Khabib as a strong favourite. Injuries have been his big issue. The focus needs to be on Khabib/Ferguson right now.
Yeah I legitimately thought Edson had a chance of taking Khabib out. I was shocked by how efficient and ruthless Khabib was in dismantling him.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Some of the misconceptions regarding McGregor (for and against) are so blindly biased, it's laughable.

McGregor hasn't fought the elite - no, he really has. Aldo was the all time best FW champion and he was destroyed in 13 seconds. Eddie Alvarez is a tough son of a bitch, but he was made to look like an average Joe from the audience. Mendes is an excellent fighter, Diaz and Dustin Poirier are also decent.

McGregor beat Max Holloway so no need for them to fight again - no, he beat Max at a very early stage of Max's career and yes he got injured but so did Max. If they fight again, it could be way different because Max has grown into one the best fighters in the organisation.

Khabib would lose to McGregor because he walks forward with no head movement - come on guys, game plan. Doubt Khabib would just walk into a McGregor left and besides, I think one left would not best Khabib, he's not a present day Chuck Liddell.

McGregor went up TWO weight classes to fight a welterweight Diaz - no, McGregor natural fighting Weight class is LW. He went DOWN to FW, so he really went up one weight class from his natural weight. And. Diaz isn't a natural fighting WW, look at his previous fights in that division. They both went up one weight class as far as I'm concerned.

McGregor against last minute changes - people say McGregor opponent changes makes his victories more impressive, not for me. Yes he has to adjust to new style but the guy stepping in has minimal time to prepare for a fight full stop. No way can mini Mendes or Diaz be fight ready with such short camps.

RDA got scared and pulled out against McGregor - no, just no :lol:. These are professional fighters who punch each other in a cage in front of millions of people, they're not scared you idiots. RDA fight a prime Pettis, he fought Ferguson, Diaz, Lawler, Cowboy, Eddie... Does that look like the résumé of someone that's scared? Heck he's angling for T-Wood FFS. He got injured and even showed the scan to prove it.

McGregor got where he is because of talking - he might have done in the last fight or two but before that, he did pretty much destroy all that was in front of him. Taking helped but the guy has some skills.

The Bloody-Nine

Reminds me of Tyson Fury at this point. A blowhard who is only interested in being in the public eye. Difference being that he isn't 17 stone overweight.

cyberman

Conor is just building up anticipation, you can't give Conor to Khabib over Ferguson and you can't have the intern champ be 3rd in line.
Its strange, Id make Conor v Tony but I don't think Khabib deserves a shot after the mess with Tony, Barboza win isn't enough to be able to sit back and fight the winner.
Tony v Khabib is the fight to make but the whole thing is a mess, Conor is biding his time till the summer.

TheReligion

Abusive
I like Conor but seriously. Book a fight or just do one. Hate it when people clog up a division especially when they are fit, healthy and able to compete. Stinks the place up.

Andersons Dietician

@George Owen Mackenzie Dern is supposedly set to make her UFC debut at UFC 222 vs Ashley Yoder.

Either her stand up has gotten to a point where it’s good enough or they just think her Jits is so good it doesn’t really matter. Or maybe Dana is just thinking money money money off of her looks and marketing ability.

Watched her against Gabi Garcia recently and Christ, she looks like a baby compared to her. We are talking 280lb Gabi as well vs 116lb Dern and she wins :lol:

RedFish

Khabib just so fecking good. Ferguson v Barboza was an absolute war, yet Khabib just walks Barboza down taking whatever kicks to wherever and does what he does to every fighter in the Octagon -pummel his face to shit.

Cyborg never looked in trouble, but I thought Holly was the more aggressive fighter in the first 2 rounds
No matter, Cyborg deservedly won.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Just watched it, fair fecks to anyone who gets in the octagon with Khabib.