The MMA thread

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Ngannou totally gassed, if he doesn't catch his second wind he's done.
Miocic isn't letting him get any wind. Stipe got caught and rocked there, but went straight on top of him and tired him out some more.

Bubz27

Only chance Ngannou has is keeping it stood up, but he just can't stop the take down. Exhausted.

Bubz27

Forget Stipe winning, who called it going the distance?

Nucks

RT History Department
Ngannou needs to work on his ground game badly.
That's not his problem.

His problem is that he is too big, and fights in a manner to leverage his size and explosiveness. It's what got him where he is, but at the same time, it's a system that cannot reliably win after a round or two.

Maybe he needs a better ground game, but it's hard to say, because by the time the fight went to the ground, he could barely stand up anyways, so good ground game or not, it wouldn't have mattered!

Bubz27

Did Ngannou punch himself out in the 1st round? Or did Miocic tire him out?

If he fought that fight more intelligently and wait for the opening instead of trying to force it, is there a different outcome?

As soon as he was tired, Miocic controlled it with ease. But what was the cause of the fatigue?

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!

If he fought that fight more intelligently and wait for the opening instead of trying to force it, is there a different outcome?

As soon as he was tired, Miocic controlled it with ease. But what was the cause of the fatigue?
he reminded of my nephew when chasing whatever...

I think the title fight got into his head.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

He punched himself out in the first half of the first round, then Stipe took over and started taking him down and basically putting his weight on him to tire him further.

Nucks

RT History Department

The cause of the fatigue, is that he was probably 275-280 pounds in the ring, with maybe 10% body fat. He fought wild and aggressively in the opening 180 seconds or so. A persons heart is typically only so big, a persons lungs are typically only so big. There is not a linear progression of cardio with size. He got tired because he's a giant dude, big muscles suck a lot of oxygen, and he fought very fast and aggressively and did not meter his energy out.

The only thing Miocic did, was not get mauled like Leonardo Di Caprio in the Revenent, and let Ngannou get tired, then when he say his opportunity, he draped himself on him punched him in the face, and sapped any energy Ngannou had left.

Bubz27

he reminded of my nephew when chasing whatever...

I think the title fight got into his head.
He punched himself out in the first half of the first round, then Stipe took over and started taking him down and basically putting his weight on him to tire him further.
So if Ngannou fought more intelligently he'd have a better chance. That's obvious to say with hindsight.

But a less tired Ngannou handles those takedown attempts easier and waits for his opening.

Because even in that utter domination by Miocic, he still looks battered.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If he gets smashed to pieces, what will you say? That weight classes are there for a reason? It's a complete size mismatch? You didn't see it coming?

For me, Stipe is facing someone outdoes him in every physical measure. N'Gannou doesn't have the resume, but I really don't think it matters when it's like saying one has a record in a weight class below the other, which makes it somewhat redundant.

I really believe N'Gannou shakes up the division and it will take someone his [natural] size to beat him, that, or Cain. But, as you say, we'll see.
:lol:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So if Ngannou fought more intelligently he'd have a better chance. That's obvious to say with hindsight.

But a less tired Ngannou handles those takedown attempts easier and waits for his opening.

His fundamental problem is similar to that of Rumble Johnson. He will come at you with haymakers early in the fight to end it early. If he can't then he will gas badly and spend the rest of the fight trying to survive.

Rick88

Someone with explosive power who keeps trying to knock someone's head off will get tired very quickly. Plus as Rogan pointed out, Ngannou may have had a huge adrenaline dump, and that takes everything out of the body. Miococ has good knockout power and had rocked Ngannou a few times too. As a result, Ngannou had to respect Miocic's hands and couldn't go all out. Add the takedowns and the leg kicks. Perfect strategy my Miocic and I had marked him for the win.

Bubz27

The cause of the fatigue, is that he was probably 275-280 pounds in the ring, with maybe 10% body fat. He fought wild and aggressively in the opening 180 seconds or so. A persons heart is typically only so big, a persons lungs are typically only so big. There is not a linear progression of cardio with size. He got tired because he's a giant dude, big muscles suck a lot of oxygen, and he fought very fast and aggressively and did not meter his energy out.

The only thing Miocic did, was not get mauled like Leonardo Di Caprio in the Revenent, and let Ngannou get tired, then when he say his opportunity, he draped himself on him punched him in the face, and sapped any energy Ngannou had left.
So would that always happen? In Ngannou's and Miocic particular case, is this result where the smart money goes? Or can Ngannou mitigate his size by fighting more intelligently?

Bubz27

His fundamental problem is similar to that of Rumble Johnson. He will come at you with haymakers early in the fight to end it early. If he can't then he will gas badly and spend the rest of the fight trying to survive.
So it's a mindset issue? Surely if someone got him jabbing and waiting for openings, with a little bit more craft and subtlety, he'd be almost unstoppable?

I know everything I'm saying is very hypothetical. But like you just said, cardio and wrestling are king. Is there any way that power and intelligence can be king?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
What Ngannou needs to do:

- Lose weight (fight at 245 instead of 265).
- Lose muscle mass
- Work on his ground game
- Focus on cardio

He basically needs to become a complete fighter and not remain a one trick pony.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So it's a mindset issue? Surely if someone got him jabbing and waiting for openings, with a little bit more craft and subtlety, he'd be almost unstoppable?

I know everything I'm saying is very hypothetical. But like you just said, cardio and wrestling are king. Is there any way that power and intelligence can be king?
Great conditioning, having a well thought-out game plan, and actually executing it - all helped Stipe tonight. He successfully weathered the storm in the early 1st, after which Ngannou's speed and power fell off a cliff.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!

You see guys like Tyron Woodley doing that. You need to get your hands on them and they get tired quickly, but if you don't, he knock you out or keep you at distance.

eventually, with more experience and training, i can see it working for Ngannou too.

Nucks

RT History Department

Not necessarily.

A guy like Ngannou is always going to struggle with 5 rounds. Shit, they are going to struggle with 3. A guy like that, pretty much has to maximize their potential to win, and their potential is never better at the start of the fight. If you take it easy, you still get tired, and you can get outworked and maybe you never actually threaten to leverage your size advantage or athletic advantage (in the case of T-Wood). T-Wood is a very similar fighter, but the HW division exaggerates everything even more, because Ngannou was probably close to 40 pounds bigger in the ring. So it's not apples to apples, he's working with an even more stressed gas tank compared to the guys he fights.

IF you actually look back through the history of combat sports since the advent of the super heavy weight, MMA and Boxing, the optimal size has been closer to 240, than it has been 265. A 265 guy is a serious threat early, but they predictably get tired quickly, whereas the 240 pound guy has that combination of stamina and power, more powerful than a smaller HW, but not so big that they gas like a 265 pounder.