The MMA thread

Nucks

RT History Department
Lyoto played into Shoguns hands in that fight. Lyoto is a COUNTER striker, not an aggressor, and while I felt Lyoto had landed the bigger more meaningful shots, I was expecting Shogun to finish him based on the way Lyoto was fighting.

I think Lyoto bought too much into the pleasing the fans bullshit. In the eventual rematch I fully expect Lyoto to get back to his counter striking style. Lyoto looked EXTREMELY sharp in his movement in this fight, the way he was easily slipping away from Shoguns leg/body kicks. The bizarre thing was Lyoto attacking. Just watched it again and I can't for the life of me figure out why he would attack.

UBERScholes

I'd find it flattering if someone hard rubbed agai
Silva is 3 for me. His division is a wasteland.

Fedor is number 1, because he has destroyed everyone he has fought recently. If Rogers was in the UFC he'd be hyped just like Dos Santos, Carwin and company.

UFC apologists are predictable. This is how it works.

Circa 2005,

Apologists "Tim Sylvia will destroy Fedor if they fight." Fedor crushes Sylvia. "Sylvia was shit."
Apologists "Arlovski will destroy Fedor if they fight." Fedor crushes Arlovski.
"Arlovski was shit."
Now it is the current crop of UFC heavy weights. My prediction is that they will float around in the UFC beating on each other looking like world beaters until someone exposes them. The UFC will dump them over money issues. Fedor will fight them and gobble them up (provided he isn't too old and slipping) Then the UFC retards will forget all about the last two years in which they swore up and down that the UFC heavy brigade would mop the floor with him. Instead they will point to the NEW batch of UFC heavy weights and say "No no no, Carwin was shit, soandso HE IS THE REAL ONE!"
Agree with this, Fedor > *. People are eager to dump this UFC HW division on his legacy but no one's really proven anything there. Brock's generating much of the hype, but the guy's 4-1 and still has a lot of question to answer. Personally I think he'll get beaten by Carwin and the division loses much of the freakshow glamour it has at the moment.

JDS and Cain would be great fights to see Fedor taking though

Name Changed

weso26
This.

Shogun pulled a rabbit out of his hat last time and still wasn't good enough.

Machida has been working on controlling distance better for this fight to nullify Shoguns kicking game.

If Shogun tries the same thing, I think he is going to lose badly. So what is he going to do? Will he come at Machida aggressively? Possible for the "that was unexpected" angle, but it would also likely be suicidal. Will Shogun try to take it to the ground? Probably. I don't think Shogun can reliably take Machida down however, Machida is one of the best wrestlers in the entire division.

Neither have really ever relied on their BJJ and both do have black belts so who knows who would get the better of a technical grappling match.

I think Machida wins this in more convincing fashion this time around.
Well, Shogun clearly won the first fight, and he easily won the second fight.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Easily? It was an even fight up until the lucky punch, where I thought Machida was getting the better of things. Of course, that doesn't change that the punch came, or say that Shogun somehow didn't fully deserve to win, but let's try to be a little less partisan in our debates, eh? It's starting to look like Sherdog.

Edit: Nor did he clearly win the first fight. Get real. You might think he won, like a lot of other people (I am undecided), but there was no clearly about it.

Name Changed

weso26
Easily? It was an even fight up until the lucky punch, where I thought Machida was getting the better of things. Of course, that doesn't change that the punch came, or say that Shogun somehow didn't fully deserve to win, but let's try to be a little less partisan in our debates, eh? It's starting to look like Sherdog.

Edit: Nor did he clearly win the first fight. Get real. You might think he won, like a lot of other people (I am undecided), but there was no clearly about it.
It was clear to a lot of people that Rua won the first fight. In fact, the majority of people thought Rua won the first fight. Get off your high horse.

Shogun did deserve to win the other night. He attacked from the start and didn't give Machida any time to do what he does. Sure, Machida took him down easily twice, but taking him down and keeping him down is something totally different.

A lucky punch? Jesus, it was more than one punch. Which one do you consider lucky? The original punch? The one that knocked him out? One of the ones in between?

I am a massive fan of Machida. He is one of my favourite fighters. But did I want Rua to win? Hell yeah. It was justice for the first fight, because in my opinion Rua won it and it was clear to me, as it was to most.

If they fight for a third time, which I'm sure they will, then I have no preferences.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I see another rematch in the cards as soon as Shogun disposes of the Rashad/Rampage winner. Lyoto could've won the other night had he just stuck to his bread and butter style of letting his counter-attacking. Unfortunately for him, he felt that he had something to prove after the first fight and found out the hard way that Shogun isn't Rashad.

BTW - i saw the post fight interview with Koscheck (Dana by his side) where he said that he whispered something into Daley's ear shortly before the final bell, that instigated the sucker punch after the bell. He basically admitted goading him Mattarazzi style. Somehow i doubt Dana is going to let that change his mind.

AllhailManUtd

Manchester United need a minor miracle now, they'r
It was clear to a lot of people that Rua won the first fight. In fact, the majority of people thought Rua won the first fight. Get off your high horse.

Shogun did deserve to win the other night. He attacked from the start and didn't give Machida any time to do what he does. Sure, Machida took him down easily twice, but taking him down and keeping him down is something totally different.

A lucky punch? Jesus, it was more than one punch. Which one do you consider lucky? The original punch? The one that knocked him out? One of the ones in between?

I am a massive fan of Machida. He is one of my favourite fighters. But did I want Rua to win? Hell yeah. It was justice for the first fight, because in my opinion Rua won it and it was clear to me, as it was to most.

If they fight for a third time, which I'm sure they will, then I have no preferences.
Sorry have to disagree, it wasn't clearly at all. For me in the first fight Machida won the first two clearly and the third was a toss up. The way people go on and on about that fight its as if shogun had him mounted for 5 rounds and was pounding him for all 5. Couldnt be further from the truth.

It stands 1-1. I agree with Nucks, Machida felt like he had something to prove to the fans and went way out of his comfort zone, Im not sure why. Next time he wont make the same mistake.

All credit to shogun though he is a beast

Nucks

RT History Department
Sorry have to disagree, it wasn't clearly at all. For me in the first fight Machida won the first two clearly and the third was a toss up. The way people go on and on about that fight its as if shogun had him mounted for 5 rounds and was pounding him for all 5. Couldnt be further from the truth.

It stands 1-1. I agree with Nucks, Machida felt like he had something to prove to the fans and went way out of his comfort zone, Im not sure why. Next time he wont make the same mistake.

I'm not saying Machida will win a rubber match, but this fight was so bizarre. First, Shoguns stylistically is the a foil for Machidas style but in THIS fight, Machida didn't use his style.

He was an aggressor in this fight and got clipped and finished. I think quite clearly the fact many people questioned the win in the last fight he felt he had to go prove something, he didn't. As a result he came out aggressive, did not fight to his strengths which is to evade evade evade counter/trip.

When they do fight their rubber match, I expect the fight to be more like Shogun/Macheda 1, not Shogun/Machida 2.

I'm honestly shocked more people are not noticing just how different Machida fought in this fight. It's like Mike Tyson deciding to box rather than swing for the fences, or PBF deciding to brawl instead of box/counter punch. You don't change the fundamentals of what you do the way Machida did in this fight and expect a good outcome, not against a world class opponent like Shogun who WILL knock you the feck out if you present even the faintest opportunity.

I think the winner of Rashad/Rampage will present problems for Shogun stylistically. Rampage IF he is in shape after his layoff isn't the same guy Shogun blew up 5 years ago or so. Rampage is a clean technical striker, dumb as rocks and easily out game planned (see Forrest), BUT if Shogun doesn't rely on leg kicks and tries to strike his wide open looping shots leave him open to a Wandy treatment.

Rashad on the other hand is like Koschek. Top class wrestler who decided to stop wrestling and try his hand at striking. Has one shot KO power, but is wide and looping like Chuck, he got blasted by Machida and could very well get blasted by Rampage as well. HOWEVER, I think Rashad is going to go back to basics and start wrestling again.

Shogun fought Coleman in the twilight of his career 5 years ago or so, posted improperly and broke his arm. Shogun hasn't fought a top class wrestler since then and it is debatable just what level Coleman still was back then as he had clearly started to decline in my opinion. Coleman now is just a shadow of his former self.

I think it is quite possible we have 3 stylistic issues with Shogun/Rashad/Machida.

Shogun will have problems with Rashads wrestling.
Rashad will have problems with Machidas take down defense and technical striking.
Machida will have problems with Shoguns kicking and distance management.

I think Rashad will probably beat Rampage but Rampage at least in a fisticuffs striking battle presents very real problems for Shogun as well.

EZee

I'm not saying Machida will win a rubber match, but this fight was so bizarre. First, Shoguns stylistically is the a foil for Machidas style but in THIS fight, Machida didn't use his style.

He was an aggressor in this fight and got clipped and finished. I think quite clearly the fact many people questioned the win in the last fight he felt he had to go prove something, he didn't. As a result he came out aggressive, did not fight to his strengths which is to evade evade evade counter/trip.

When they do fight their rubber match, I expect the fight to be more like Shogun/Macheda 1, not Shogun/Machida 2.

I'm honestly shocked more people are not noticing just how different Machida fought in this fight. It's like Mike Tyson deciding to box rather than swing for the fences, or PBF deciding to brawl instead of box/counter punch. You don't change the fundamentals of what you do the way Machida did in this fight and expect a good outcome, not against a world class opponent like Shogun who WILL knock you the feck out if you present even the faintest opportunity.

I think the winner of Rashad/Rampage will present problems for Shogun stylistically. Rampage IF he is in shape after his layoff isn't the same guy Shogun blew up 5 years ago or so. Rampage is a clean technical striker, dumb as rocks and easily out game planned (see Forrest), BUT if Shogun doesn't rely on leg kicks and tries to strike his wide open looping shots leave him open to a Wandy treatment.

Rashad on the other hand is like Koschek. Top class wrestler who decided to stop wrestling and try his hand at striking. Has one shot KO power, but is wide and looping like Chuck, he got blasted by Machida and could very well get blasted by Rampage as well. HOWEVER, I think Rashad is going to go back to basics and start wrestling again.

Shogun fought Coleman in the twilight of his career 5 years ago or so, posted improperly and broke his arm. Shogun hasn't fought a top class wrestler since then and it is debatable just what level Coleman still was back then as he had clearly started to decline in my opinion. Coleman now is just a shadow of his former self.

I think it is quite possible we have 3 stylistic issues with Shogun/Rashad/Machida.

Shogun will have problems with Rashads wrestling.
Rashad will have problems with Machidas take down defense and technical striking.
Machida will have problems with Shoguns kicking and distance management.

I think Rashad will probably beat Rampage but Rampage at least in a fisticuffs striking battle presents very real problems for Shogun as well.
i think jackson will smash evans...

and i actually think evans might even end up dropping to mw as he does not cut much anyway and stays close to weight most of the time...

he could be a fecking beast at mw as well

Nucks

RT History Department
i think jackson will smash evans...

and i actually think evans might even end up dropping to mw as he does not cut much anyway and stays close to weight most of the time...

he could be a fecking beast at mw as well
If Rashad tries to strike I think its likely. If he decides to wrestle I think he will win.

EZee

If Rashad tries to strike I think its likely. If he decides to wrestle I think he will win.
its a fight im looking forward to...

oh and i saw today that a junior dos santos and roy nelson fight is on the card... that would be a fight id like to see

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I'd just like to re-visit this discussion, from the last incidence of blatant cheating by Koschek.

https://www.redcafe.net/f12/ufc-120100/index56.html#post7205276

Daley's getting slated for the cheap shot at the end (and rightly so) but how come the other, almost equally shameful (IMO) talking point in the same fight seems to have been brushed under the carpet?

Dana White doesn't want thugs to compete in his the UFC (which is fair enough) but he's ok with cheats?

EZee

I'd just like to re-visit this discussion, from the last incidence of blatant cheating by Koschek.

Daley's getting slated for the cheap shot at the end (and rightly so) but how come the other, almost equally shameful (IMO) talking point in the same fight seems to have been brushed under the carpet?
well i did post something as it happened...

its not as bad as what paul did... but its not much better... its like divng at football

also even if daley did catch him with the knee (which he didnt)... the timing of it was such that his hands had just come off the floor so it would have been a legal shot anyway...

i hope gsp pokes him in the eyes and when he starts crying about it the ref does not believe him... and gsp rips his arm from his socket

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

its not as bad as what paul did... but its not much better... its like divng at football

also even if daley did catch him with the knee (which he didnt)... the timing of it was such that his hands had just come off the floor so it would have been a legal shot anyway...

i hope gsp pokes him in the eyes and when he starts crying about it the ref does not believe him... and gsp rips his arm from his socket
I think one of his knees was on the ground though, which would have made it illegal. If it did anything other than part his fecking hair, that is!

He's a despicable cheat. I hope GSP makes mincemeat of him.

EZee

I think one of his knees was on the ground though, which would have made it illegal. If it did anything other than part his fecking hair, that is!

it does my head in... pride rules all the way for me...

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't think that likening Koschek's actions to a footballer diving will register with Dana White or for that matter, a vast majority of MMA fans in North America, since many people in the States already think of footballers as pussies who routinely feign injuries to get crumpet breaks, which is precisely why Dana probably had a word in private but no more. The sucker punch however, whether instigated or not, makes his event look like a WWE ass clown circus, which is clearly something he doesn't tolerate.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Perhaps this should be in the Entertainment forum, but anyone else excited about UFC Undisputed 2010? I loved 2009, and from all the previews, hands-on and feature list, this is going to be a lot better. I've played the demo a lot now, and the sway system is brilliant. I might go online a little bit (against someone from RedCafe, perhaps?), but what I like the most is Career type modes. I even liked the one in 2009, and this one is supposed to be light years ahead of that one.

My plan is to start a 205'er first, since there are so many good fighters there (even though they don't have Little *** in the game yet). I'm considering going 175, though, just so I can start a feud with Koscheck and kick his ass (oh, yeah, you can disrespect other fighters and start feuds). :D

UBERScholes

Dana White doesn't want thugs to compete in his the UFC (which is fair enough) but he's ok with cheats?

White's always talking about how he's working hard to show the sport as dignified and professional (Whilst being a childish cretin at every opportunity he gets), and cuts Daley like it's a moral obligation. At the same time, he has no problem with bringing Yvel into the UFC despite his long history. I think Daley should be harshly punished, but he's being punished here mainly because he wouldn't kiss Dana's ass afterwards

EspadaYdaga

Inbred

i think he got an eyelash in his eye... so fair enough then

Raoul

Admin
Staff
White's always talking about how he's working hard to show the sport as dignified and professional (Whilst being a childish cretin at every opportunity he gets), and cuts Daley like it's a moral obligation. At the same time, he has no problem with bringing Yvel into the UFC despite his long history. I think Daley should be harshly punished, but he's being punished here mainly because he wouldn't kiss Dana's ass afterwards
He didn't need to kiss his ass. All he had to do was give a valid explanation as to why he did it, rather than lie to him by saying he didn't hear the bell and then proceed to flippantly shrug his shoulders and walk off when Dana asked him if he wanted to continue fighting in the UFC. If Dana is willing to cut Anderson Silva for a repeat of his antics during the last fight, then this was a no brainer.

Ekeke

He didn't need to kiss his ass. All he had to do was give a valid explanation as to why he did it, rather than lie to him by saying he didn't hear the bell and then proceed to flippantly shrug his shoulders and walk off when Dana asked him if he wanted to continue fighting in the UFC. If Dana is willing to cut Anderson Silva for a repeat of his antics during the last fight, then this was a no brainer.
Didnt Anderson Silva get the warning and told if he repeats it he will be cut? Daley got cut straight away without a warning. So I dont think its a good comparison.

Koz broke 2 rules during the fight, feigning/not fighting and trash talking. Given that, I think Daley could have been shown just a tad more leniancy and not been cut completely but I can understand why he has been. However Koz should be held accountable for his actions too and it doesnt look like he's going to be.

I say that as one of the few people on this planet who didnt hate Koz even before the fight. And I dont hate him now, but fair is fair and this isnt.

EZee

Now I dont for 1 second think paul wrote it but here is his statement

“I’ve had a long flight home to consider my actions and regret the mistake I made on Saturday. I would like to apologize to the UFC and the Athletic Commission for what I’ve done as well as all the fans and sponsors that support me.”

“I would also like to offer my sincerest apologies to Josh Koscheck who did not deserve the cheap shot I threw. He did what he needed to do in order to win the fight and get the job done, and I foolishly reacted to the situation.”

“There is no excuse for my actions and I know what I did was very unprofessional. I was immensely frustrated by a collection of things that took place throughout the fight as well as leading up to it, but I’m certainly not trying to condone or excuse my actions.”

“Josh implemented his game plan perfectly taking me down and staying on top of me for the majority of the fight. I was also frustrated about him claiming (and acting like) I knee’d him in the head on the ground when it was clear for all to see in the video replay that I didn’t connect at all with the knee I threw.”

“Then finally, the verbal abuse Josh hit me with in the final 30 seconds of the fight simply pushed me over the edge and my frustrations came out as I knew I’d lost the fight, was unhappy with my own performance and had then been ridiculed by my opponent to top things off.”

“This is certainly no excuse for my actions; I fully deserve to be punished for what I did and hope that everyone I have disappointed can forgive my rash decision. I feel very disappointed in myself for losing my cool and hope that I am able to address my temperament and bounce back from this low point in my career.”

“I feel ashamed and embarrassed by what I did and hope that together my team and I can get through this issue. It will be a long road back from where I am now to earning the trust and respect of the UFC and the MMA fans that have supported me for so long, I know I’ve let you all down but I’m determined to make it up to you all.”
apparently he found out by text from joe silva that he was cut

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Didnt Anderson Silva get the warning and told if he repeats it he will be cut? Daley got cut straight away without a warning. So I dont think its a good comparison.
Did Silva sucker punch his opponent after the bell ? Precisely my point. If he's willing to cut Anderson Silva if he does what he did again, then it should come as no surprise that he cuts Daley. Lying to him in the cage after the fight and walking away from him probably didn't help his cause. If he apologized and told him the truth (namely that Koscheck whispered something in his ear that set him off before the bell), then he may have stood a chance. I can see how Dana would have been incensed, and the lying and flippancy merely cemented his fate.

Name Changed

weso26

Why are you sorry for disagreeing? It is a forum after all! :D

I don't think Machida went for it to please the fans. He has been in a number of boring enough fights before and never bowed to any pressure to be more exciting. I believe that it was his strategy to take Rua off guard and to an extent it worked. I think Machida did not want to let the fight go the same as it did in the first, because he'd be lucky to get the result if it was the exact same. Why leave it to chance?

In relation to the first fight, I highly doubt anyone thinks that Rua pissed all over Machida. But most (as far as I'm aware) thought that Shogun had won that fight. Anyway, it's irrelevant at this stage.

The third fight will be 50 50 in my opinion.

Name Changed

weso26
Daley was wrong for what he did. I wouldn't mind punching Koscheck myself though. I can see why he did, not that I agree with it.

I am not surprised that he was cut though. Babalu was cut for a situation that was not that dissimilar.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He's done the right thing by releasing the statement, even though it looks a bit extravagant for something he would've personally written. He can further help his cause by actually doing a few TV interviews to apologize, as well as lobbying Dana behind the scenes.

Name Changed

weso26
I cannot wait to see the "amateur" wrestler GSP completely dominate the almost professional wrestler with wrestling and then knock the living shit out of him.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I don't think Daley is out of the UFC permanently, whatever Dana said. I can understand him saying it, and I'm sure he means it, but if Daley is suitably humble and apologetic, and works his ass off to make amends, I'm sure we'll see him back in there sooner or later.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
I don't think Daley is out of the UFC permanently, whatever Dana said. I can understand him saying it, and I'm sure he means it, but if Daley is suitably humble and apologetic, and works his ass off to make amends, I'm sure we'll see him back in there sooner or later.
Later, is my prediction

All this talk of Dana being unprofessional because Daley found out via text message rather then from Dana is funny, Daley should have known he was cut the second he threw his best punch of the night

No sympathy

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He needs to make a public statement and apologize to the fans (on video). IMO, that will go a long way to softening things up. Still can't imagine him back anytime soon though.

EZee

Later, is my prediction

All this talk of Dana being unprofessional because Daley found out via text message rather then from Dana is funny, Daley should have known he was cut the second he threw his best punch of the night

No sympathy
i think dana making such a fuss about strikeforce not controlling things probably has a part to play as well...

though i notice he is quite happy to have shields and nate diaz is still a ufc fighter

dont expect to see daley back for a long time... if ever...

a fight with diaz is a possibility though... how that might end though is anybodys guess

UBERScholes

Apparently Toney vs Couture is being lined up for August, UFC 118. I'm actually pretty interested to see Toney in MMA, I don't have big expectations of him but I think he'll be good entertainment, win or lose.

Mayorga making an MMA debut this weekend as well

EZee

I wondered why the rather nice on the eye logan had not been ringside...

she was sacked for this
Video - UFC Octagon Girls Natasha Wicks and Logan Stanton Say Josh Koscheck*... - MMA & Boxing
saying that kos faked the eye poke... the other girl was sacked as well... perhaps thats one of the reason that people have not been saying so much about what a cheat kos is...

not sure daley is going to come back... but cant they bring logan back!!!

EZee

Apparently Toney vs Couture is being lined up for August, UFC 118. I'm actually pretty interested to see Toney in MMA, I don't have big expectations of him but I think he'll be good entertainment, win or lose.

Mayorga making an MMA debut this weekend as well
118 has the makings of a good card
UFC 118 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
quite a few brits possibly as well

EZee

It's looking good. I'm happy to see Ocipzcak in there, my favourite British fighter. Hope he can come back strong from that loss at 112
its looking a lot better than ufc 114

now that forrest is out bar the evans jackson fightim not too excited about the rest of the match ups... here is my picks anyway

Quinton Jackson vs. Rashad Evans
Michael Bisping vs. Dan Miller
Todd Duffee vs. Mike Russow
Antônio Rogério Nogueira vs. Brilz
Diego Sanchez vs.John Hathaway

im not expecting a great nights for the brits... hope im wrong though