The MMA thread

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Like Ronda, I think it's inevitable that Connor will eventually end up in WWE. He's also an huge fan iirc.
He gives the WWE nothing but abuse every time he'as asked about it.

Zebs

Side note: I still can't get over the number of people who can't spell Conor :lol:

Oggmonster

Best view of what happened inside.

Khabib was out of line but surprise surprise on who threw the first shot inside the cage.

If we are punishing Khabib are we also okey that Conor should never be allowed in the US again for second offense?

Khabib has jumped out the cage and just attacked Conor's corner. The other guy is probably going to do the same. Of course he's going to react to it.

There's no defending Khabib and his team here. I don't think he should be banned for life, I don't think he should be stripped. The UFC will use this footage for a rematch. @Dirty Schwein said it on the previous page I don't know how some of you got so worked up after this (it's funny to read back as well.) There's complaints the UFC is turning in to WWE and then everyone got so annoyed and worked up at this you really can't blame the UFC for using this kind of stuff!!

I want to say Khabib ruined this for himself cos no one is talking about the fight in the media but I don't think he did, the hype for a rematch is now huge and he'd make more money if anything. I'm sure he's not to worried.

As for the fight itself it was a domination, Conor looked lost and out his depth. He needs to go away and focus on wrestling for a while cos he doesn't know what he's doing there. He'll never get to Khabib's level but he could be so much better.

Feel sorry for the likes of Pettis, Ferguson and Lewis. 1 was a great fight and the other a big win which will be forgotten cos of this stuff. Shame really. Good call by Roofus etc to pull Pettis out as well.

El-Manos

He didn't destroy the win.
He made himself look like a clown, stop trying to justify his actions you’re having a mare. Both fighters acted like complete idiots and are childish individuals who can’t control their temper. They’re supposed to be professional athletes

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Khabib has jumped out the cage and just attacked Conor's corner. The other guy is probably going to do the same. Of course he's going to react to it.

There's no defending Khabib and his team here. I don't think he should be banned for life, I don't think he should be stripped. The UFC will use this footage for a rematch. @Dirty Schwein said it on the previous page I don't know how some of you got so worked up after this (it's funny to read back as well.) There's complaints the UFC is turning in to WWE and then everyone got so annoyed and worked up at this you really can't blame the UFC for using this kind of stuff!!

I want to say Khabib ruined this for himself cos no one is talking about the fight in the media but I don't think he did, the hype for a rematch is now huge and he'd make more money if anything. I'm sure he's not to worried.

As for the fight itself it was a domination, Conor looked lost and out his depth. He needs to go away and focus on wrestling for a while cos he doesn't know what he's doing there. He'll never get to Khabib's level but he could be so much better.

Feel sorry for the likes of Pettis, Ferguson and Lewis. 1 was a great fight and the other a big win which will be forgotten cos of this stuff. Shame really. Good call by Roofus etc to pull Pettis out as well.
Yep, it was. Absolutely no point sending him back out there against Ferguson with a broken hand. Good to see.

stevoc

That's true, but knock-out artists are also meant to be able to control the flow of the fight so as to set up their sole weapon. If one punch man was his team's plan then I don't think his team helped him set it up.
McGregors is usually very good at controlling the fight and luring people in for the knockout, but he was obviously a bit too wary of the take down in this fight and stood off a bit too much.

Khabib is a bad match-up for any striker, he's a one trick pony but he's been practicing that trick all his life and is the best in the UFC at it.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Khabib is a fecking idiot, unrelated parties in the crowd could have been injured there.

And to anyone replying back with "well, conor is no saint either", both can be idiots, it's not mutually exclusive.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Connor spent his whole career acting gangster and running his mouth and his fan boys cheered him on all the way. When he finally runs into a real badass his fan boys cry, that's not fair and people should be banned. All hilarious to me. Like a school bully meeting his match then everyone feeling sorry for him.

Khabib doesn't care about material things. Things like his heritage and honour mean more to him. There's a man with principles.

Skizzo

Connor spent his whole career acting gangster and running his mouth and his fan boys cheered him on all the way. When he finally runs into a real badass his fan boys cry, that's not fair and people should be banned. All hilarious to me. Like a school bully meeting his match then everyone feeling sorry for him.

Khabib doesn't care about material things. Things like his heritage and honour mean more to him. There's a man with principles.
It’s not really the same at all. No one is complaining about the actual fight. Everyone agreed that Khabib was dominant, and looked better standing than Conor too.

This would be akin to someone beating up the school bully, and then sending flying kicks into the crowd of kids standing around watching, causing a mass brawl to break out. That’s what people have taken issue to. Not the one sided actual fight. The stupid actions he took afterwards.

cyberman

I think Khabibs style colours how the fight went. He had Conor pinned down but Conor was defending well on the ground. He didn't really give up anything.
He defended a few takedowns in the second and held his own in the clinch, even coming out to win the third.
Khabib was by far the better man but Conor wasn't as bad as its made out to be.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
People that condemn both are totally correct but I find extremely strange when people try to defend Conor because what he does has become regular. He poked a bear and while said bear should have walked away into the woods, it was visible that from the beginning he wanted to smash Conor and his gang into pulps, not for marketing but for misplaced honor. The UFC created that situation, they used an assault as marketing material, Khabib was involved in that assault and they never considered/cared that maybe it wasn't a good idea to glorify one side, I bet that they created a lot of resentment.

If the UFC ban Khabib, then they have to ban Conor for his actions in April.

cyberman

People that condemn both are totally correct but I find extremely strange when people try to defend Conor because what he does has become regular. He poked a bear and while said bear should have walked away into the woods, it was visible that from the beginning he wanted to smash Conor and his gang into pulps, not for marketing but for misplaced honor. The UFC created that situation, they used an assault as marketing material, Khabib was involved in that assault and they never considered/cared that maybe it wasn't a good idea to glorify one side, I bet that they created a lot of resentment.

Nobody defended Conor over the bus incident ffs.
Then Bellator happened and then the Dublin gangster nonsense.
I have no idea why this is continually brought up? It simply didn't happen.
Conor was dragged through the coals for that one.

Trizy

Rewatching the post-fight brawl (again) and it’s hilarious to see McGregor cower in fear up against the cage at the 1:05 mark in the video above.
Hilarious he got assaulted by 3 proper fighters/ex-fighters after he'd no energy from getting hammered in an MMA fight? Jesus..

RussellWilson

It’s not really the same at all. No one is complaining about the actual fight. Everyone agreed that Khabib was dominant, and looked better standing than Conor too.

This would be akin to someone beating up the school bully, and then sending flying kicks into the crowd of kids standing around watching, causing a mass brawl to break out. That’s what people have taken issue to. Not the one sided actual fight. The stupid actions he took afterwards.
Not really akin to that. It would be akin to him fighting the crew of the school bully who also went around bullying people.

He attacking Dillan Danis, he was running his mouth an insulting Khabib all the way through the fight according to Rogan who was ringside. His crew were also involved pre-fight.

He's from Dagestan. They don't stand for the shit out there. If you insult a man in their culture, expect to get a fist flung at you or in this case a flying kick.

Credit to Connor, he's not really moaned yet. I think he knows he crossed a line with Khabib and shit can go down like that. It's his fan boys that are funny crying about it, like you don't reap what you sow.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

“A man with principles” Feck off :lol:

People are justifying his actiond cos McGregor provoked him, “insulted his religion and his country”, my goodness. Does his religion say that you should beat someone up if he criticizes said religion or what? He showed himself a classless thug just like McGregor has in the past, he’s no better going off his actions after the fight. Religion or pride doesn’t excuse shit. Looks to me like they’re a bit behind on civilization where’s he from, his gang looks like a tribe who can’t see that McGregor actually doesn’t give a shit about any of them but just wants to hype up the fight with inflammatory comments about whichever topic he can think of. If you can’t put yourself above that, you’re no better than the one making the comments.

RussellWilson

Hilarious he got assaulted by 3 proper fighters/ex-fighters after he'd no energy from getting hammered in an MMA fight? Jesus..
After Connor threw the first punch at Khabibs corner, and which point he was attacked. Again don't start shit if you can't handle it. Connor picked on the wrong crew this time.

Heardy

I'm very much not a fan of either Conor or Khabib. I was a fan of him 3 or so years ago but I know far too much about what Conor does and has done in Dublin, let alone the UFC, to ever like the guy. I'll always support an Irish man or woman in any sport and hope they win, but I don't like him as a person.
Can this be ellaborated upon at all?

RussellWilson

“A man with principles” Feck off :lol:

People are justifying his actiond cos McGregor provoked him, “insulted his religion and his country”, my goodness. Does his religion say that you should beat someone up if he criticizes said religion or what? He showed himself a classless thug just like McGregor has in the past, he’s no better going off his actions after the fight. Religion or pride doesn’t excuse shit. Looks to me like they’re a bit behind on civilization where’s he from, his gang looks like a tribe who can’t see that McGregor actually doesn’t give a shit about any of them but just wants to hype up the fight with inflammatory comments about whichever topic he can think of. If you can’t put yourself above that, you’re no better than the one making the comments.
As above, the guy is from Dagestan. They don't take that shit over there. Connor couldn't get away with his fake tough guy act this time.

People come from different cultures, thinking yours superior is typical colonialist mentality. In your world, others can do whatever they want unless you don't react your as bad as them. In Khabibs world, actions have consequences.

JPRouve

Scout
Nobody defended Conor over the bus incident ffs.
Then Bellator happened and then the Dublin gangster nonsense.
I have no idea why this is continually brought up? It simply didn't happen.
Conor was dragged through the coals for that one.
People did defend Conor general attitude which was my point and concerning the bus I'm talking about the UFC's response from a disciplinary standpoint.

Oggmonster

I think Khabibs style colours how the fight went. He had Conor pinned down but Conor was defending well on the ground. He didn't really give up anything.
He defended a few takedowns in the second and held his own in the clinch, even coming out to win the third.
Khabib was by far the better man but Conor wasn't as bad as its made out to be.
Conor was cheating to defend anything that came at him. Grabbing shorts, grabbing gloves, kneeing him when he was down. The intrigue in the match up was on paper it was a tricky fight for both. Khabib adapted early and dominated, Conor looked like he didn't know what to do. There's no shame in losing and to his credit Conor handles a loss well. I hope he goes back to the gym and learns his wrestling and ground game are miles behind really. I think he was as bad as people sya, he didn't really do anything significant which is never good...he won the 3rd I suppose in fairness to him but it was hardly a dominant round and him mounting a comeback.

Like Ronda, I think it's inevitable that Connor will eventually end up in WWE. He's also an huge fan iirc.
I've not seen it in years but isn't it all family friendly now? I doubt Conor works well in that environment. Can't go calling people backwards cnuts and rat bastards on a kids show. His whole gimmick in pre fight is to be loud and abrasive. It would of worked in WWE in the 90s (which is where I'm sure he got his material from) but not now.

After Connor threw the first punch at Khabibs corner, and which point he was attacked. Again don't start shit if you can't handle it. Connor picked on the wrong crew this time.
But Khabib has already attacked his corner and the other guy is going to do it as well. There's no excusing any of the behaviour but Khabib etc are definitely the ones who come across worse in this.

Well done to Rockhold and DC for calming it down afterwards. Despite what others think I'd say in hindsight it was the right call not putting the belt on khabib to by Dana. I don't think it was cos Conor lost and he was annoyed the whole event had turned nasty.

ZupZup

Not really akin to that. It would be akin to him fighting the crew of the school bully who also went around bullying people.

He attacking Dillan Danis, he was running his mouth an insulting Khabib all the way through the fight according to Rogan who was ringside. His crew were also involved pre-fight.

He's from Dagestan. They don't stand for the shit out there. If you insult a man in their culture, expect to get a fist flung at you or in this case a flying kick.

Credit to Connor, he's not really moaned yet. I think he knows he crossed a line with Khabib and shit can go down like that. It's his fan boys that are funny crying about it, like you don't reap what you sow.
I'm not a Conor fan, but if Khabib can't deal with trash talk without overreacting the way he did... then quite simply, he shouldn't be in the UFC. It's a professional sport and trash talk will always be a part of combat sports like this. The fact he is from Dagestan where the culture is different or whatever, is completely irrelevant. The UFC is not Dagestan and if you can't deal with that, you shouldn't be in it.

He won the battle and all of the bragging rights. He should have left it there.

Zebs

IT'S feckING CONOR. C-O-N-O-R. CONOR.

Anyway, as has been said several times, the fighting had already started outside the ring. Are you telling me the member of Khabib's team had no intentions of going in and attacking Conor's team as well when he ran across and scaled the fence? McGregor punched a totally innocent member of Khabib's team? Come off it.

Yes Conor threw the first punch in the ring, but it part of the wider fight. It didn't start a separate fight, he punched that guy because he was on his way to attack Conor's teammates.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
As above, the guy is from Dagestan. They don't take that shit over there. Connor couldn't get away with his fake tough guy act this time.
Yeah I'm not buying that. "Oh but I come from an island where killing people is okay if they insult you so I shouldn't be condemned if I kill someone in Vegas, should I?"

milemuncher777

formerly kid777

Couldn’t have put it better.

RussellWilson

IT'S feckING CONOR. C-O-N-O-R. CONOR.

Anyway, as has been said several times, the fighting had already started outside the ring. Are you telling me the member of Khabib's team had no intentions of going in and attacking Conor's team as well when he ran across and scaled the fence? McGregor punched a totally innocent member of Khabib's team? Come off it.

Yes Conor threw the first punch in the ring, but it part of the wider fight. It didn't start a separate fight, he punched that guy because he was on his way to attack Conor's teammates.
If that's the case why are people making out like Conor was innocently standing in the ring when he was attacked? He got involved in the brawl. He could have not but he did, and got punched as a result. Just like Khabib's corner could have not got involved but they did. If you get involved, you will get hit back.

Zebs

Can this be ellaborated upon at all?
I was just referring to him being a general dickhead, parking in ambulance bays at hospitals for his kid's birth and refusing to move it. Smacking some lads phone out of his hand for trying to take a selfie with him.

That's not even going into all the apparent gang-related shit that my mates in the gardaí (police in Ireland) tell me about. But I'm going to go spreading that shit on a public forum for obvious reasons.

That all said, he obviously does have a good side to him, the charity donations etc. He's not a total prick.

stevoc

It won't be the UFC banning Khabib it will be the athletics commissions.

Zebs

If that's the case why are people making out like Conor was innocently standing in the ring when he was attacked? He got involved in the brawl. He could have not but he did, and got punched as a result. Just like Khabib's corner could have not got involved but they did. If you get involved, you will get hit back.
I think Conor would have been attacked by Khabib's teammates regardless of whether he got involved. The two that vaulted back into the cage we're helping Khabib originally, they possibly (although I can't tell) didn't see Conor punching the other lad.

RussellWilson

Yeah I'm not buying that. "Oh but I come from an island where killing people is okay if they insult you so I shouldn't be condemned if I kill someone in Vegas, should I?"
Regardless of that, my point is what were the UFC and anyone else thinking when they built the whole fight on personal beef and hate? They used a felony assault on every promo. You can't do all that leading up to the fight then try to take the moral high ground after the chickens come home to roost from your previous actions.

If you want a professional fight and event, do that all the way through. You don't get to pick and choose when professional kicks in.

As Khabib said after the fight in the press conference. He felt disrespected all the way through and no one said anything, they were fine with that.

RedTiger

Half mast
People did defend Conor general attitude which was my point and concerning the bus I'm talking about the UFC's response from a disciplinary standpoint.
The defence everybody used was that Khabib shouldn't have approached Lobov initially and that it was obvious Conor would defend his friends honour.

In other other words, actions have consequences.

Oggmonster

People can go back and forth on who's to blame, trash talk going to far etc (it did probably) but at the end of the day the comisison will react to what was seen.

Khabib jumped out the Octagon and assaulted someone, it doesn't matter Danis is a fighter or whatever, it was still assault. I think he'll some kind of punishment for it. I don't think it will be anything severe though, I reckon the lesser fighters will take the brunt of it and Khabib and Conor get a slap on the wrist...Conor probably gets nothing.

RussellWilson

I think Conor would have been attacked by Khabib's teammates regardless of whether he got involved. The two that vaulted back into the cage we're helping Khabib originally, they possibly (although I can't tell) didn't see Conor punching the other lad.
Well they had the chance to and they ran straight past him to climb the cage. Only once Conor threw a punch did they turn their attention to him.

JPRouve

Scout
The defence everybody used was that Khabib shouldn't have approached Lobov initially and that it was obvious Conor would defend his friends honour.

In other other words, actions have consequences.
Which is why you need to be strict and sanction certain behavior, not use it as a promo tool. I'm not defending any fighter here but condemning the UFC too.

Zebs

I thought all Khabib said about respect and trash talking was such horseshit by the way.

He's the one that called out Conor in the ring saying "I want to fight your chicken" and then bizarrely tried to insult Ireland by comparing the population of it and Russia? What?

Then he pipes on about how his dad raised him to be respectful, which is funny considering he cornered a fellow Russian fighter with 4/5 others and slapped him.

The hypocrisy is laughable.

(Disclaimer: Me saying this about Khabib in no way defends Conor. They're both idiots.)

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
As Khabib said after the fight in the press conference. He felt disrespected all the way through and no one said anything, they were fine with that.
If you feel disrespected by your employer, quit. Don't say nothing throughout the whole process and start whining when you've cashed in.

RedTiger

Half mast
I thought all Khabib said about respect and trash talking was such horseshit by the way.

He's the one that called out Conor in the ring saying "I want to fight your chicken" and then bizarrely tried to insult Ireland by comparing the population of it and Russia? What?

Then he pipes on about how his dad raised him to be respectful, which is funny considering he cornered a fellow Russian fighter with 4/5 others and slapped him.

The hypocrisy is laughable.

(Disclaimer: Me saying this about Khabib in no way defends Conor. They're both idiots.)
Calling someone out for a challenge and calling them chicken is a bit different from bringing up Stalin's forced deportations or lack of mental faculties for not drinking.

I'm sure he only mentioned the population thing in regards to how many people would have bought the fight.

The point about why would he approach Lobov if his father taught him respect is also 2 way. With respect comes obligation, Lobov had an obligation to chat the shit he did to Khabibs face, that's all Khabib wanted.