The MMA thread

Oggmonster

I thought all Khabib said about respect and trash talking was such horseshit by the wa
y.

He's the one that called out Conor in the ring saying "I want to fight your chicken" and then bizarrely tried to insult Ireland by comparing the population of it and Russia? What?

Then he pipes on about how his dad raised him to be respectful, which is funny considering he cornered a fellow Russian fighter with 4/5 others and slapped him.

The hypocrisy is laughable.

(Disclaimer: Me saying this about Khabib in no way defends Conor. They're both idiots.)
I'd imagine he was advised to say that to try and diffuse it all a bit, assuming you're talking about the post fight press conference?

Lets just all be honest here, neither of them are angels. I think in the immediate aftermath of the fight people were happy to say a fall from grace for Conor, which is fair enough, and are now doubling down on him somehow being in the wrong for the after fight incident. It's worth baring in mind that only 3 people were paid to be in the cage that night Conor, Khabib and Herb Dean. No one should be running in there and no one should be jumping out of it. It doesn't look great on anyone but I find it odd people are trying to share the blame as if they were both as bad as each other after the fight.

People have said stuff in press conferences for years (as Dana said) and whilst it probably went to far it's still not a nexcuse.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
The point about why would he approach Lobov if his father taught him respect is also 2 way. With respect comes obligation, Lobov had an obligation to chat the shit he did to Khabibs face, that's all Khabib wanted.
So slapping him is showing respect? Why didn't he just talk to him?

I'm not sure why everyone seems intent on validating Khabib's actions. Both him and Conor, I repeat, were idiots.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Isn't Khabib on YouTube paying some homeless guy to do press-ups for his entertainment, and laughing at him?

2cents

Scout
Doesn't say much for his image as a tough but fair honourable man of principle does it? The two of them can do one, I'm jumping on the Ferguson bandwagon now full-time, douchebag that he is.

2cents

Scout
Fergie isn't a douchebag mate:nono: he's just different.
Yeah but imagine being stuck beside him on a flight or something, having him wearing the ear off you for hours?

Thinking about it, the most down-to-earth, sound fighter in the division seems to be Dustin Poirier. Here's hoping he defeats Nate and gets a title shot.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
I'm no fecking expert but surely that rear naked choke wasn't even in tight at the neck? Tapped from a chin hold? McGregor would need about a 5 year camp to combat that animal Khabib, he has nothing as soon as the fight gets into the grapple/ground

stevoc

Calling someone out for a challenge and calling them chicken is a bit different from bringing up Stalin's forced deportations or lack of mental faculties for not drinking.

I'm sure he only mentioned the population thing in regards to how many people would have bought the fight.

The point about why would he approach Lobov if his father taught him respect is also 2 way. With respect comes obligation, Lobov had an obligation to chat the shit he did to Khabibs face, that's all Khabib wanted.
I've seen this mentioned a few times, what did McGregor actually say about Khabib not drinking?

Heardy

I was just referring to him being a general dickhead, parking in ambulance bays at hospitals for his kid's birth and refusing to move it. Smacking some lads phone out of his hand for trying to take a selfie with him.

That's not even going into all the apparent gang-related shit that my mates in the gardaí (police in Ireland) tell me about. But I'm going to go spreading that shit on a public forum for obvious reasons.

That all said, he obviously does have a good side to him, the charity donations etc. He's not a total prick.
Ah ok, i wondered how much of the other stuff was just media hyperbole! I assumed Conor simply played the "villain" / put on the persona, because it adds so much to the pre-fight hype. It won him a load of fans and lined his pockets.

SteveTheRed

People that condemn both are totally correct but I find extremely strange when people try to defend Conor because what he does has become regular. He poked a bear and while said bear should have walked away into the woods, it was visible that from the beginning he wanted to smash Conor and his gang into pulps, not for marketing but for misplaced honor. The UFC created that situation, they used an assault as marketing material, Khabib was involved in that assault and they never considered/cared that maybe it wasn't a good idea to glorify one side, I bet that they created a lot of resentment.

If the UFC ban Khabib, then they have to ban Conor for his actions in April.
This is it for me. Chuck Liddell has been saying the same on his instagram, the antics in all the press conferences and build up are inevitably leading up to one thing.

2cents

Scout
I've seen this mentioned a few times, what did McGregor actually say about Khabib not drinking?
"I'd say you're some buzz at parties you backward cnut."

RedTiger

Half mast
I'm no fecking expert but surely that rear naked choke wasn't even in tight at the neck? Tapped from a chin hold? McGregor would need about a 5 year camp to combat that animal Khabib, he has nothing as soon as the fight gets into the grapple/ground
I wouldn't call Conor a Pussy for tapping out to that hold, we have no idea how much pressure khabib was applying on his jaw. What's even more surprising for me was that Conor basically offered up his neck for the RNC but Khabib decided not to readjust for that and instead went with the neck crank (imo specifically so he got the tap out as opposed to Conor passing out or the ref stopping it).

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The rear naked choke targets arteries on the side, the sensation is very strange when applied correctly, it's been a long time since I got one but iirc you feel your brain, you know exactly what is happening even though you are not really choking.

Murray3007

The contest itselfs should Conor is a few levels below the elite, should retire now for me unless UFC ditch Khabib which wouldn't surprise me with Dana to be fair, seeing his top man destroyed. the aftermath was stupid from Khabib but seen it in loads of sports about people fighting and arguing hardly new stuff. will work a treat for UFC tho as will play conor as the victim despite him throwing punches first in the ring at they Khabib team, who was trying to get over the cage.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
He calls him a backwards cnut in relation to his religion and nationality a few times. Definitely some xenophobic undertones to it.

Zebs

He calls him a backwards cnut in relation to his religion and nationality a few times. Definitely some xenophobic undertones to it.
There was no reference to religion by Conor at any point. People are just inserting that for their own agendas.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
I’d like to see Conor fight Kevin Lee. Would be a great stylistic matchup.
Yeah, that would be a good fight.

I can see Lee taking him down at will too though, his wrestling is so good aswell.

I'd love to see Conor vs Barboza.

RussellWilson

There was no reference to religion by Conor at any point. People are just inserting that for their own agendas.
What does calling someone backward refer to bar their culture and religion? What did he mean by backward if not that. He's basically calling Khabib below him, because he doesn't fit western values. He says it a few times through the press conference, go back and watch it if you want. I've seen the whole thing.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Dillon Danis now starting with RDA. RDA called him a nobody and Dillon offered to fight RDA outside the cage. Bellator are the real winners here.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What does calling someone backward refer to bar their culture and religion? What did he mean by backward if not that. He's basically calling Khabib below him, because he doesn't fit western values. He says it a few times through the press conference, go back and watch it if you want. I've seen the whole thing.
I don't know conor intimately but I don't think he means anything in particular. He just uses words that may upset you, he lets the other side imagine what they want.

2cents

Scout
He was mocking Khabib getting all precious over a journalist greeting him with "salaam alaikum" in Conor's presence. Could certainly be seen as insulting the religion. The backward cnut stuff as well is clearly a reference to Khabib's background, in which his religion is a massive factor. He knew what he was doing, he made a couple of references to "the Lord and Saviour Jesus H. Christ" as well, he was definitely trying to use the religion angle to wind Khabib up.

RussellWilson

I don't know conor intimately but I don't think he means anything in particular. He just uses words that may upset you, he lets the other side imagine what they want.
If Khabib wasn't such a openly proud muslim from Caucasus', I very much doubt he would have chosen that form of wording. He wouldn't call a British or American fighter backwards. I doubt he'd even call a White Christian Russian backward.

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
Not defending what Khabib did as he's an idiot for jumping out the cage and attacking Danis.

But you gotta love the outrage by Conor fans, when most of them kept quiet when Conor was jumping out the cage himself to taunt Aldo, throwing cans of energy drinks in a press conference where he could have done some serious damage to bystanders or travel to another continent to attack a bus with fighters where he actually injured two of them.

Khabib is a massive idiot but don't come to me with bullshit that he could have instigated a massive brawl, when Conor is known to do the same all the fecking time. One of them is respectful towards his opponents before fights and we all know which one that is.

Zebs

Not defending what Khabib did as he's an idiot for jumping out the cage and attacking Danis.

But you gotta love the outrage by Conor fans, when most of them kept quiet when Conor was jumping out the cage himself to taunt Aldo, throwing cans of energy drinks in a press conference where he could have done some serious damage to bystanders or travel to another continent to attack a bus with fighters where he actually injured two of them.

Khabib is a massive idiot but don't come to me with bullshit that he could have instigated a massive brawl, when Conor is known to do the same all the fecking time. One of them is respectful towards his opponents before fights and we all know which one that is.
I absolutely called him out for the throwing shit at the Diaz press conference thing (although he was reacting to stuff being thrown at him) and the bus thing. Might not have posted it on the Caf but that doesn't mean I didn't criticise him elsewhere and I assume that's the same for others.

People bringing up the Aldo thing are laughable and clutching at straws. He had no intention of touching Aldo, so it's not remotely comparable. It was his marketing brain promoting the next fight from the very first second.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
I wouldn't call Conor a Pussy for tapping out to that hold, we have no idea how much pressure khabib was applying on his jaw. What's even more surprising for me was that Conor basically offered up his neck for the RNC but Khabib decided not to readjust for that and instead went with the neck crank (imo specifically so he got the tap out as opposed to Conor passing out or the ref stopping it).
Like I said I'm a casual fan so don't understand much about it, but have seen many of fights were people have just held that position and not given up their neck. Think its the first time I have seen someone tap from that angle of hold

Oggmonster

How is that one even close to the same? Khabib jumped and assaulted someone, Conor got in someones face.

This whole "Conor fans" stuff that constantly gets said in this conversation is ridiculous to. It's as if no one has ever once made a sensible point and been a fan of McGregor. There's no need to tar everyone with the same brush. I could generalise it about "Khabib fans" and how they seemingly are trying to excuse what he did cos a few have done that but I know it's not the case for everyone.

Zebs

:lol: I need to stop posting in this thread. Conor's an idiot. Khabib's an idiot. I'm an idiot for posting so much about it.

Go n-eirí libh.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
:lol: I need to stop posting in this thread. Conor's an idiot. Khabib's an idiot. I'm an idiot for posting so much about it.

Go n-eirí libh.
Indeed. It's very boring and there's not been nearly enough talk about the fight or posting of gifs such as this one

Conor took that quite well tbf. It was right on the button.

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
How is that one even close to the same? Khabib jumped and assaulted someone, Conor got in someones face.

This whole "Conor fans" stuff that constantly gets said in this conversation is ridiculous to. It's as if no one has ever once made a sensible point and been a fan of McGregor. There's no need to tar everyone with the same brush. I could generalise it about "Khabib fans" and how they seemingly are trying to excuse what he did cos a few have done that but I know it's not the case for everyone.
That's why I said most of them and not all of them.