The MMA thread

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He needs to move up to 170 for me. Win that belt then he's hall of fame status. His skills are unmatched at 155, it's not even fair. Plus he's struggled to make 155, his natural weight will be 170. I want him to fight Tony, then smother Askren
No. He’s a 155 easy. Look at him. He didn’t even struggle to make 155.
If he does 170 then he’s the best fighter of all time hands down. Think how good Usman is right now, think how mental it would be for Khabib to beat him... well they also fight for same team.. Well Woodley, Khabib wound have to dominate, take down, rag doll, USA all time champion... and he’s not even the UFC champion. But Khabib is making the weight very easy now.. why go up?

Paxi

To be the best Khabib has to fight the best. He has yet to fight the person in his division who can realistically beat him, so until that happens there will be a big asterisk next to his name in terms of being the greatest ever.
Ah ffs Raoul... that’s like saying Barca truly deserved 2009 final.

Dan_F

Man he's the absolute best. Check out Grange Tv on youtube if you want an MMA podcast, his coach is fecking hilarious. @MaxiPaxi anyone who denys Khabib at this stage is an idiot, he's an animal and I always thought, even as an Irish fanboy originally, that he'd wreck Conor and the rest. I also agree with @Vato that while Ferguson has the best chance it's a very small chance.

Watching tonight the only chance to beat Khabib is a guy who can back him to the fence and keep him there. His takedowns are more effective at the cage than in the open but it's hard to keep him from backing you up. Perhaps we need someone like Gathje to just go for broke in the first minute and risk everything to knock him out. What I love about MMA is that he can be beaten just like Jones can simply because anything can happen in this sport.
I don’t think anyone is “denying” Khabib. There’s just a big difference between him being the best lightweight at the moment and the GOAT. Which is what is being thrown around at the moment. Jones is considered one of the best because of the variety of opponents, variety of his skill and longevity at the very top.

kidbob

If Nate and Nick have such famous Cardio then why are they fecking journey men? Why does Nate fight Conor, who is a fecking panic attack artist.. Lets see Nate fight Woodley or Usman...!? You know why? Cause he’d get tossed around like a rag doll. His heart would not oxidate fast enough for him to roll with those guys.

I can be really fit too.
And trust me I was and at 19 I was probably fitter than 90% of UFC guys.. probably not something tangible or scientific but I could say with a certain degree of certainty that people are unfit to be athletes.
You seem defensive about Dagestani fighters mate, almost like Conor fanboys accepting his faults. You surely realise the reason that they can't fight those guys is the fact that they suck at wrestling and has nothing to do with their cardio. At 19 you had better cardio than any UFC guy but they'd probably have taken your head off in a fight. Cardio is a small part of any fighter and while the Diaz' have fantastic cardio they have always lacked wrestling chops to win against guys like Usman. If MMA was just stand up then the Diaz brothers would have been the best guys for a long time. In context their are footballers with better cardio than Messi but because he is so much better at actual football he is a much better footballer than them.

You might as well ask why can Lingard run for longer than Messi but isn't as good as a footballer. Or else why doesn't Khabib fight Ngannou, because there's more than on aspect to fighting.

Paxi

I'm pretty drunk but I want some of what this guy is having.
Well my friend, just so happens that I had players over from Stoke City, and we laughed at them. We actually laughed, and then we subconsciously scuttled our minds....

kidbob

I don’t think anyone is “denying” Khabib. There’s just a big difference between him being the best lightweight at the moment and the GOAT. Which is what is being thrown around at the moment. Jones is considered one of the best because of the variety of opponents, variety of his skill and longevity at the very top.
Oh man he's not the GOAT. I hate Jones but he's the one (all fighters are on PEDs, every single one and every other sports people too). He's the best because he's good at everything whereas Khabib is great at one thing (although no one can stop it). However at this stage Khabib is the best Lightweight ever by a distance and has to ve in the conversation for GOAT.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Well my friend, just so happens that I had players over from Stoke City, and we laughed at them. We actually laughed, and then we subconsciously scuttled our minds....
I don't need to have the best cardio to laugh at Stoke players tbh.

Paxi

You seem defensive about Dagestani fighters mate, almost like Conor fanboys accepting his faults. You surely realise the reason that they can't fight those guys is the fact that they suck at wrestling and has nothing to do with their cardio. At 19 you had better cardio than any UFC guy but they'd probably have taken your head off in a fight. Cardio is a small part of any fighter and while the Diaz' have fantastic cardio they have always lacked wrestling chops to win against guys like Usman. If MMA was just stand up then the Diaz brothers would have been the best guys for a long time. In context their are footballers with better cardio than Messi but because he is so much better at actual football he is a much better footballer than them.

You might as well ask why can Lingard run for longer than Messi but isn't as good as a footballer. Or else why doesn't Khabib fight Ngannou, because there's more than on aspect to fighting.
Well of course I’d get ended in a fight... but at the end of the day, cardio is what keeps me focused longer. You make divisive tasks a split second earlier. That plays a massive part.

Adcuth

I’m saying that Nate can get a lot fitter. It’s clearly true considering his weight. I don’t think comparing him to Zabit physiologically is too out there if Nate really wanted to compete.

** Edit: obviously that goes with a big grain of salt of quasi scientific shit that you hear on the internet.

Honestly, I don’t doubt that Nate is fit but I would say that Khabib is only out out of few guys who would pass an SASR selection for instance.
How can you judge Khabib's fitness to be this high from just watching him fighting but dismiss Nate when he fights AND competes in an endurance event

Dan_F

If he does 170 then he’s the best fighter of all time hands down. Think how good Usman is right now, think how mental it would be for Khabib to beat him... well they also fight for same team.. Well Woodley, Khabib wound have to dominate, take down, rag doll, USA all time champion... and he’s not even the UFC champion. But Khabib is making the weight very easy now.. why go up?
How can you say it’s not a struggle when he missed weight multiple times in the past.
Oh man he's not the GOAT. I hate Jones but he's the one (all fighters are on PEDs, every single one and every other sports people too). He's the best because he's good at everything whereas Khabib is great at one thing (although no one can stop it). However at this stage Khabib is the best Lightweight ever by a distance and has to ve in the conversation for GOAT.
I genuinely don’t think he can with the quality of opponents he’s faced.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Ah ffs Raoul... that’s like saying Barca truly deserved 2009 final.
No its not. Khabib has yet to fight the best fighter in his own division. He needs to do so and win convincingly in order to be considered the greatest ever. This is not particularly complicated.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If Nate and Nick have such famous Cardio then why are they fecking journey men? Why does Nate fight Conor, who is a fecking panic attack artist.. Lets see Nate fight Woodley or Usman...!? You know why? Cause he’d get tossed around like a rag doll. His heart would not oxidate fast enough for him to roll with those guys.

I can be really fit too.
And trust me I was and at 19 I was probably fitter than 90% of UFC guys.. probably not something tangible or scientific but I could say with a certain degree of certainty that people are unfit to be athletes.
Because they genuinely don't give a feck and prefer smoking weed on boat parties in Cabo.

Paxi

I don't need to have the best cardio to laugh at Stoke players tbh.
Point was, that people can get very, very fit but not resistant. I can stretch you like a band... but for how long...?
I’m pretty sure there are people that will not bend to ones will and yet there will be fitter, stronger people than them. Sounds inherently wrong when you think about it...

Adcuth

Did you see the weigh in? He stripped bollocko and looked relieved when he heard his weight. It's well known that he's struggled in the past, and it gets harder each time. Why put your body through a weight cut like that over and over again. His only issue at 170 could be his height, but DC proved that height means feck all when you're on your back.

Paxi

How can you judge Khabib's fitness to be this high from just watching him fighting but dismiss Nate when he fights AND competes in an endurance event
That was a bad example but something I have experience with so I can relate. I genuinely do not see this cardio in Nate Diaz... feck me maybe I’m totally wrong but I just see him as a barely fit, yet competent Gracie BJJ black belt and and a massive brawler. I don’t see he him as an elite athlete. If he runs triathlons, then my answer is, I did that early before I joined the Royal Marines, and when I did I got completely found out for not being fit enough.

Paxi

I’m away to get fecked up in an IRISH PUB! Real winner is Paul Felder the ginger cnut!

Dan_F

That was a bad example but something I have experience with so I can relate. I genuinely do not see this cardio in Nate Diaz... feck me maybe I’m totally wrong but I just see him as a barely fit, yet competent Gracie BJJ black belt and and a massive brawler. I don’t see he him as an elite athlete. If he runs triathlons, then my answer is, I did that early before I joined the Royal Marines, and when I did I got completely found out for not being fit enough.
Barely fit. Are you actually mental?

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
I know it was warm and all but can they do all UFCs in Abu Dhabi from now on? It's great not having to stay up till 7 in the morning.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Good interview as always from Khabib. I disagree with him on the last bit. If he beats Tony, he will have cleared out the division. The only option at that point would be to move up or finish with a mega fight against a GSP or the like.

Adcuth

I've no doubt that both are elite athletes mate and that Nate would hang with Khabib.

Your last example wasn't any better to be fair thougg haha. Nate isn't coming from triathlons to mma. He's already in the big league's of it while still doing endurance events.

Charlie Foley

Agreed. I get the impression anyone who says that hasn't watched much UFC and isn't familiar with Tony. Khabib could win, but it certainly won't be easy like his previous fights.
I probably agree but I don't like to gate keep :p

Conor fought Khabib at the wrong point in his career in my opinion. He was long past his peak by 2018, despite being at an age where he should have been peaking. His focus/hunger was gone and he'd spent 2 years not really being an MMA fighter. Cocaine is a hell of a drug too... Had he fought him in the autumn of 2016 (for example, if Conor fought Khabib at 205 instead of Eddie) we would have seen a much better fight. I'm not saying Conor would win but he wouldn't have been bitch slapped so badly.

But yeah, Tony is the one to watch. I'd be pissed if they did a Conor rematch before Tony-Khabib. Right fighting style and a crazy MF too. Speaking of crazy Raging Al's performance looks better and better every time you see Khabib since then, too.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I probably agree but I don't like to gate keep :p

Conor fought Khabib at the wrong point in his career in my opinion. He was long past his peak by 2018, despite being at an age where he should have been peaking. His focus/hunger was gone and he'd spent 2 years not really being an MMA fighter. Cocaine is a hell of a drug too... Had he fought him in the autumn of 2016 (for example, if Conor fought Khabib at 205 instead of Eddie) we would have seen a much better fight. I'm not saying Conor would win but he wouldn't have been bitch slapped so badly.

But yeah, Tony is the one to watch. I'd be pissed if they did a Conor rematch before Tony-Khabib. Right fighting style and a crazy MF too. Speaking of crazy Raging Al's performance looks better and better every time you see Khabib since then, too.
:yawn:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I wouldn't put it past Dana to try and make a Conor v Khabib fight just for the money. Hope Khabib tells him to feck off.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
It was so idiotic. I said to Brian "Boom" Kelleher on twitter early this week, that hopefully Dustin doesn't goes for the guillotine to defend take downs (he did it vs Alvarez so i was scared he was gonna do it again... ffs) because he would only burn his arms (zero chance submitting Khabib). Of course the fight was over few seconds later after the attempt...
Exactly. He burnt his last reserves of energy and when Khabib needs to control hands, Dustin has no strength to fight or resist.

Let him take you down, away from the fence, his game is u unstoppable next to the fence. In the middle of the mat, can move your hips and head and try to elbow from bottom.