The MMA thread

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I wouldn't put it past Dana to try and make a Conor v Khabib fight just for the money. Hope Khabib tells him to feck off.
That’s what I also suspect and is the only reason conar is in for it too. Milk out one last pay day.

Khabib ego might just fall for it; as I wrote above I might even pay my ppv dues to see conar get one more thrashing.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Agreed. I get the impression anyone who says that hasn't watched much UFC and isn't familiar with Tony. Khabib could win, but it certainly won't be easy like his previous fights.
I don’t know ufc anywhere close to you but I’ve watched enough and try it out in the gym at my own pathetically very very low level. And cos I’ve loved Khabib for several years, I’ve been hooked on 155 division, so seen all Ferguson/MCG/Poirier etc fights, albeit mostly recorded on YouTube or fight-pass.

He strikes me as unconventional, unpredictable (like fury) and abit mental in the head. Whilst that’s hard to train for, I suspect he’ll offer plenty of access points for Khabib to attack.

Likewise I’ve seen khabibs defence on striking improve literally fight by fight, and Mendez would surely focus on that for a Ferguson fight. We saw a brief example tonight when Khabib just disengaged as soon as Poirier landed some jabs.

To hurt Khabib, you first have to get close to him, which none has managed so far. The more I see him, I think his defence is as good as his offence.

I think the Ferguson would go the same way as McGregor and Poirier: Khabib would exhaust them within 2 rounds and then finish him off at will in 3rd.

Charlie Foley

It’s a yawn.

As in I’m bored reading yet more excuses for Conar’s humiliation and thrashing.
It’s not an excuse. You’ve greatly misinterpreted or perhaps misread. I don’t like him. I said he’d still lose. I don’t want a rematch. I’m just saying he was a better fighter in late 2016 than 2018 (undeniable), therefore a fight against a superior fighter (Khabib) would be closer and therefore better as a fight (not necessarily more enjoyable, particularly for those who wanted to see a cocked up scumbag get smacked around) as is the case always when an underdog is stronger.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
It’s not an excuse. You’ve greatly misinterpreted or perhaps misread. I don’t like him. I said he’d still lose. I don’t want a rematch. I’m just saying he was a better fighter in late 2016 than 2018 (undeniable), therefore a fight against a superior fighter (Khabib) would be closer and therefore better as a fight (not necessarily more enjoyable, particularly for those who wanted to see a cocked up scumbag get smacked around) as is the case always when an underdog is stronger.
Sorry I misunderstood.

Whilst you may be right, surely it can only ever be a hypothetical: Khabib wasn’t as good in 2016 as he is in 2019, both miss each other at their peak?

I guess the better hypothetical is conar 2016 vs Khabib 2019?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Personally I don't think anyone 'kills' Tony.[/QUOTE
Sounds hearsay, makebelieve

Paxi

I can’t have different opinions on Tony and Conor? They’re very different...
Tony and Khabib would make short work of Conor. I’d love to actually see just shut any remaining nut huggers up. I swear, I’d fight McGregor, any time, any place, anywhere, anonymous, for free — id just smash his fecking face in!

Charlie Foley

Sorry I misunderstood.

Whilst you may be right, surely it can only ever be a hypothetical: Khabib wasn’t as good in 2016 as he is in 2019, both miss each other at their peak?

I guess the better hypothetical is conar 2016 vs Khabib 2019?
No worries lad.

Yeah of course it’s a hypothetical. I think your thing about 2016 Khabib is part of my point though. Khabib was around in 2016. Conor who fought Eddie at 205 v Khabib who fought Johnson that night (or who was supposed to fight Tony earlier in the year)...that was the best time for Conor to fight Khabib in the real world timeline. 2017, and even more so 2018 levels of each, Conor is getting mauled.

Conor 2016 v Khabib 2019, I think we’d agree on the winner there...

Charlie Foley

Tony and Khabib would make short work of Conor. I’d love to actually see just shut any remaining nut huggers up. I swear, I’d fight McGregor, any time, any place, anywhere, anonymous, for free — id just smash his fecking face in!
What are you talking about?

If you’re trying to make a serious point Khabib already ruined him. And Tony Conor would be like Nate Conor 1 but worse for Conor

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
I find all this very fascinating because i havent ever practiced any martial arts. Is a guillotine that energy drainer of a technique? I don't have tha POV while watching these fights. Any other interesting technical detail about todays fight?
Yep, quite tiring. If you are already tired, you only go for that guillotine if you are 100% sure you gonna finish it. If you commit for it, and don't get it, it leaves you with your arms completely burned out, plus, in a terrible position under your opponent.

In the specific case of Dustin, if he couldn't submit Alvarez with it, and on the contrary, ended up in bad positions most of the times he attempted it, then it was never gonna work on Khabib, who has been fighting those chokes since he was born. So it was always gonna be just a waste of energy. If he doesn't goes for it, at least he could have make it to the next round and start once again standing up.

That's why I was hoping he didn't went for it.

As @Murder on Zidane's Floor says, to even have a chance against Khabib, you have to win the centre of the octagon and push Khabib onto the fence, so if he shoots, you make him take you down but far away from the fence, where you can take away part of his game. That's why I like Tony's chances. He will put Khabib against the fence and hurt him, and if Khabib shoots, Tony gonna embrace the takedown instead of fighting it, he will roll with it but on his own terms, centre of the octagon and ready to work.

Bellator is on tonight :D
Watching now :cool:

Some nice submissions so far.

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I think Dustin went for the guillotine as a final hail Mary. Probably thought he can either submit Khabib or hold it until the rounds end. He said in the post fight that he made a mistake with the positioning of his legs. Felt so bad hearing him in that post fight presser. Seems like such a decent guy.

I think Ferguson will be tough test for Khabib. He can strike, great off his back, unconventional fighter, great JJ, great cardio. If Khabib gets through him with ease, then yes, he'll be one of the goats.

Gaethje would also be interesting but don't see that happening anytime soon.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The more I see of The Diamond the more I love him. Such a cool dude. I think they should do him Vs McGregor if the Crumlin Cokehead wants to make a comeback. Nice pay cheque for Dustin and leaves Khabib to fight Tony.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I agree that Khabib should move up once he beats Tony. There is nothing left, but there are some very tough fighters alt WW for sure.

GSP and Conor, nahh... GSP is seriously retired and wont make it to the required level anymore, and Conor has become a joke

predator

Youth NITK
Khabib will retire from UFC undefeated - even after facing Tony, GSP (unlikely to even happen), anyone. It would be great to see someone match him but he's a one off in this generation. I feel sorry for his opponents and what they have to go through, its akin to watching a snake wrapping itself around its prey.

Imo Dustin looked petrified from the moment he got in the cage. Tony will not be scared at all and he will give khabib more problems than anyone out there but he will also get mauled and beat.

Paxi

If you don’t like Dustin then are you even a real person? He’s literally along side SteveJ and Jippy in terms of likeness.

Rick88

I find all this very fascinating because i havent ever practiced any martial arts. Is a guillotine that energy drainer of a technique? I don't have tha POV while watching these fights. Any other interesting technical detail about todays fight?
I can be really fit too.
And trust me I was and at 19 I was probably fitter than 90% of UFC guys.. probably not something tangible or scientific but I could say with a certain degree of certainty that people are unfit to be athletes.
Oh man. How much have you had to drink or smoked something really strong?

Rick88

@DrRodo a guillotine needs to be sunk in properly under the chin with one's body at an angle and the opponent's head on the mat. If not locked in properly and/or not at the right angle it shall not work and the arms will burn out in less than ten to fifteen seconds.But wrestlers are prone to getting guillotined while going for a double leg (remember Velasquez vs Werdum?). Kabib has BJJ and combat sambo as a background. Just another day in the office for him defending a guillotine as he'd be doing it for ages now.

Andersons Dietician

The more I see of The Diamond the more I love him. Such a cool dude. I think they should do him Vs McGregor if the Crumlin Cokehead wants to make a comeback. Nice pay cheque for Dustin and leaves Khabib to fight Tony.
Didn’t Connor dispatch him within a round on his way to Aldo. Used to think “The Diamond” was a bit of a sore loser but yeah in recent months or years he has really come across as a more likeable guy.

Kahbib has to fight Tony and I hope Ortega moves up and that Holloway gets another crack at 155.

Edit: checked TKO/ 1min 46secs of the first round.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Get a cushion and squeeze it as hard as you can with your bicep for about 20 seconds and see if it hurts :lol:
Great explanation.

Just tried that and my bicep started to feel fire after 10 seconds which became unbearable by 20 seconds.

But as you say, that’s just aperitif: my entire arm was limp and useless for 2 minutes after :lol:

Last edited:

Paxi

Oh man. How much have you had to drink or smoked something really strong?
I did have a lot of alcohol and of course I’m stretching but I stand by my point. Nate Diaz isn’t some sort of a natural born Demi-God. I can absolutely guarantee he’d get strung up, cardio-wise, against Usman or Woodley. I can bet my last bottom dollar on it.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Ridiculously boring main event. Not even close.

If they don't do Tony vs Khabib next I'm not watching UFC anymore, its turned into Don King boxing or McMahon WWF bs

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
If you don’t like Dustin then are you even a real person? He’s literally along side SteveJ and Jippy in terms of likeness.
He might be a likable person but he's not much of a likable UFC fighter - opposite of Khabib who I think is unlikable person but a likable UFC fighter.

Paxi

He might be a likable person but he's not much of a likable UFC fighter - opposite of Khabib who I think is unlikable person but a likable UFC fighter.
What makes you think that Khabib is a horrible person?
I mean, where do we draw the line? Jon Jones is the fecking devil then.
Other fighters make Jon Jones look like saint though. Just look at some domestic abuse etc from trained killers essentially. Where does that place them?

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
What makes you think that Khabib is a horrible person?
I mean, where do we draw the line? Jon Jones is the fecking devil then.
Other fighters make Jon Jones look like saint though. Just look at some domestic abuse etc from trained killers essentially. Where does that place them?
The way he acted like a two bit thug after the connor fight and the way his camp talked like wanna be gangstas.

Also anyone guilty of domestic abuse is by default a shite person. I didn't think that even needs to be said