The MMA thread

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I think they were harder and faster and I'm impressed that Tony took them as much as he did. Having said that, I think McGregor's standup game is more about precision and counter-punching than power. I think they're somewhat different strikers so it'll be an interesting fight. I was also very impressed by Gaethje's defence so I think he might win if he faces Conor. I think he can deal with the counter punches very well while doing a fair bit of damage himself.
Yeah, thats true, actually.

Paxi

Its going to happen isn't it? Usman v McGregor

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Whilst he doesn't deserve it based off a 1-1 against a journeyman from 155, id love to see it. I think Usman would batter him more than Khabib. He'll not go for a submission finish, and will instead impregnate McGregor's leg.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Whilst he doesn't deserve it based off a 1-1 against a journeyman from 155, id love to see it. I think Usman would batter him more than Khabib. He'll not go for a submission finish, and will instead impregnate McGregor's leg.
My worry is that Usman is a bit arrogant and will try to wrestle as little as possible. That's one of the things that I like about Khabib, he trades strikes long enough to show that he is himself at a high level but will eventually switch to wrestling and make you understand why he is superior.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
My worry is that Usman is a bit arrogant and will try to wrestle as little as possible. That's one of the things that I like about Khabib, he trades strikes long enough to show that he is himself at a high level but will eventually switch to wrestling and make you understand why he is superior.
Good point. But the one time I remember Usman doing this is against Colby, and that could be due to Colby having a fantastic wrestling base.

He wrestle-fecked Woodley and most of the other fights he had that I have seen. Admittedly, most of his fights involved me falling asleep so I could be wrong :lol:

JPRouve

Scout
Good point. But the one time I remember Usman doing this is against Colby, and that could be due to Colby having a fantastic wrestling base.

He wrestle-fecked Woodley and most of the other fights he had that I have seen. Admittedly, most of his fights involved me falling asleep so I could be wrong :lol:
I may have to watch the Woodley fight again but while he did wrestle against him, I was frustrated by the fact that he was overwhelmingly superior and seemed to just play around, he didn't seem to be in a mindset where he was going to dominate technically on the ground. But then again I use Khabib as a benchmark and he is an unbelievable wrestler.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Let's hope not. Would be a massive slap in the face to the rest of the division. Conor hasn't beaten any top opposition in five years when he beat Aldo (who was still good at the time).

Paxi

Let's hope not. Would be a massive slap in the face to the rest of the division. Conor hasn't beaten any top opposition in five years when he beat Aldo (who was still good at the time).
Happened at LW division against Alvarez did it not? He fought Diaz 1st time at around 168 because both didn't make weight. Then a rematch at 170. Then straight into Alvarez fight if I remember correctly. So he's used to fighting for titles he hasn't earned. Also, he'd get mauled by Marty ffs. He had difficult time with Chad Mendes, who himself gassed and had shit game plan. Really ridiculous for him to get knocked out the way he did in my opinion. Tapped in the second against Nate cause he was absolutely desperate and went for a takedown. Won the first two rounds against Nate, and knocked him down twice and still managed to only win by a majority in a rematch. He's got woeful cardio and shit ground which makes him resort to constantly hold on to the fence, throw illegal elbows, knees or ask the ref to stand it up. I'm not even going to mention what happened with Khabib but Usman is basically a bigger version of him with perhaps better striking and worse grappling. I can see it only going one way. Good choice by Ali. Low risk, high reward. For Conor, he's getting a tittle shot and his reputation firmly in tact for his stans if he gets embarrassed. But on the other hand if he wins this, Dana will ejaculate everywhere, sets up a Khabib fight at 170 nicely or a rematch with Usman. Either way it's a money maker for Dana. To be fair, Dana could go in the cage himself against Conor and ppv would be massive. I think this makes financial sense more than anything.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Happened at LW division against Alvarez did it not? He fought Diaz 1st time at around 168 because both didn't make weight. Then a rematch at 170. Then straight into Alvarez fight if I remember correctly. So he's used to fighting for titles he hasn't earned. Also, he'd get mauled by Marty ffs. He had difficult time with Chad Mendes, who himself gassed and had shit game plan. Really ridiculous for him to get knocked out the way he did in my opinion. Tapped in the second against Nate cause he was absolutely desperate and went for a takedown. Won the first two rounds against Nate, and knocked him down twice and still managed to only win by a majority in a rematch. He's got woeful cardio and shit ground which makes him resort to constantly hold on to the fence, throw illegal elbows, knees or ask the ref to stand it up. I'm not even going to mention what happened with Khabib but Usman is basically a bigger version of him with perhaps better striking and worse grappling. I can see it only going one way. Good choice by Ali. Low risk, high reward. For Conor, he's getting a tittle shot and his reputation firmly in tact for his stans if he gets embarrassed. But on the other hand if he wins this, Dana will ejaculate everywhere, sets up a Khabib fight at 170 nicely or a rematch with Usman. Either way it's a money maker for Dana. To be fair, Dana could go in the cage himself against Conor and ppv would be massive. I think this makes financial sense more than anything.
Which is a good reason for it to not happen again. Alvarez was rubbish. Much like in other divisions, it backlogs the usual schedule of fights and the fighters who are putting their heart into moving up in the division. Imagine being a Leon Edwards or a Masvidal - both peaking at the moment in the hopes of preparing for a title shot.

Of course, the person Conor wants to fight, usually has to take the fight because a:) Dana wants it and b:) the money is up to 5x better than it usually is.

Paxi

Which is a good reason for it to not happen again. Alvarez was rubbish. Much like in other divisions, it backlogs the usual schedule of fights and the fighters who are putting their heart into moving up in the division. Imagine being a Leon Edwards or a Masvidal - both peaking at the moment in the hopes of preparing for a title shot.

Of course, the person Conor wants to fight, usually has to take the fight because a:) Dana wants it and b:) the money is up to 5x better than it usually is.
I feel for Leon Edwards but Masvidal seems to want to fight Nate again. Don't think he cares too much about the actual WW belt :lol:

JPRouve

Scout

But why can't Dana do the smart thing and schedule McGregor vs Masvidal/Edwards and Usman vs Masvidal/Edwards, then you match winners and losers in a future event(s)? It's a deep division there are enough fights to create lucrative cards without messing up the schedules.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
But why can't Dana do the smart thing and schedule McGregor vs Masvidal/Edwards and Usman vs Masvidal/Edwards, then you match winners and losers in a future event(s)? It's a deep division there are enough fights to create lucrative cards without messing up the schedules.
As Frankie Edgar once said "the C in UFC stands for Conor"

Luke1995

Who would you rather see fighting Yan for the BW title, Sterling or Sandhagen ?

Oggmonster

No one, the UFC included, cares about the likes of Cejudo. Him retiring was a negotiation tactic I think and they're not arsed. Him retiring doesn't damage the company at all he'll probably be back in a year or so and probably get s title fight straight away in fairness. Doubt he'll be on anymore money than he tried getting with this though

Luke1995

By the way, just how sad it is that we'll have to wait a long time to see the Patricio Pitbull X Pedro Carvalho fight ? Was really looking forward to that one

justboy68

Even if Conor bests Usman it wouldn't make him the greatest because outside of FW he's never had to actually climb the ladder in a division. He could knock out anyone WW and down on a given night but would you actually back him to put on a Tony like run through either LW or WW? Unlikely given how much he struggled with Nate.

Now when you are moving divisions as a non-champ I'm not saying you should start from the bottom but you usually have to have a couple of top contender fights first like Aldo vs Morais, Rockhold vs Jan, RDA when he went to welterweight etc. If he beat Masvidal and Covington first then it would be more legit.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Even if Conor bests Usman it wouldn't make him the greatest because outside of FW he's never had to actually climb the ladder in a division. He could knock out anyone WW and down on a given night but would you actually back him to put on a Tony like run through either LW or WW? Unlikely given how much he struggled with Nate.

Now when you are moving divisions as a non-champ I'm not saying you should start from the bottom but you usually have to have a couple of top contender fights first like Aldo vs Morais, Rockhold vs Jan, RDA when he went to welterweight etc. If he beat Masvidal and Covington first then it would be more legit.
You don't need to go through a division if you can take the head of the top dog immediately. It's an embarrassment and disgrace to a division when someone from a lower weight comes up and doesn't need to work his way up to be competitive with its very best... that, or testament to the greatness of the fighter who has gone up a weight class, took on its very best and prospered.

It's something every heavier champion should fear when facing a come up from a lighter division because, in terms of optics, it always looks absolutely terrible for the heavier guy, who just by size, should wipe the floor with this upstart.

Jones to Stipe
Adesanya to Jones
Usman to Adesanya
Khabib to Usman
Volkanovski to Khabib
Cerudo to Volkanovski

Conor to Usman; every single one of them would be disgraced losing to the one coming up, so for Conor it's an unfair, win-win fast track that would shock the UFC and send his hype machine into overdrive and certainly have him in rarely triumphant territory, traversing so many divisions fighting champions, especially if it then becomes 2 from 3 in victories.

For Usman, it's supposed to be a showcase of him putting someone he told outright to stay away from the 'big boys', back in his box and it will be the biggest humiliation he'll have in his career if he loses such a fight.

What doesn't seem to be accounted for is Usman has a massive ego and a lot of pride. He fought Covington the way he did out of principle not only to cause as much physical damage as possible, but to make clear he is the superior man outright. If he and Conor fight, I have no doubt in my mind he'll attempt to do the exact same and put Conor through as many tortuous rounds as possible... thing is, Usman's stand up is poor and he walks forward reliant on absorbing blows and firing back over avoidance and technical guile with craft. If he gives Conor the same openings and shots he gave Covington, he's going to sleep because they'll all be landing in the right spots at the right times with Usman's own size and momentum contributing to the impact point damage.

Not quite Aldo's levels of emotional irrationality, but along those same tracks of Usman wanting to destroy this guy will play right into Conor's only realistic inlet for the win. If Usman is cautious and looks to take him down, Conor will be in for a torrid night and gassed even quicker than normal, but the odds of Conor getting in Usman's head and having him coming out trying to decapitate him are a lot higher than a bigger man exercising caution in a fight he has said would be a massacre. The optics of Usman shelling up and potshotting shots would be terrible for him against the much smaller man who, he's already said, shouldn't even be in his division.

Like it or not, 2 from 3 going up 3 weight classes would look tremendous on a C.V. even without the groundwork in the division. It'd also justify Conor being given preferential treatment, much to the ire of the rest of the star roster.

RedFish

You don't need to go through a division if you can take the head of the top dog immediately. It's an embarrassment and disgrace to a division when someone from a lower weight comes up and doesn't need to work his way up to be competitive with its very best... that, or testament to the greatness of the fighter who has gone up a weight class, took on its very best and prospered.

It's something every heavier champion should fear when facing a come up from a lighter division because, in terms of optics, it always looks absolutely terrible for the heavier guy, who just by size, should wipe the floor with this upstart.

Jones to Stipe
Adesanya to Jones
Usman to Adesanya
Khabib to Usman
Volkanovski to Khabib
Cerudo to Volkanovski

Conor to Usman; every single one of them would be disgraced losing to the one coming up, so for Conor it's an unfair, win-win fast track that would shock the UFC and send his hype machine into overdrive and certainly have him in rarely triumphant territory, traversing so many divisions fighting champions, especially if it then becomes 2 from 3 in victories.

For Usman, it's supposed to be a showcase of him putting someone he told outright to stay away from the 'big boys', back in his box and it will be the biggest humiliation he'll have in his career if he loses such a fight.

What doesn't seem to be accounted for is Usman has a massive ego and a lot of pride. He fought Covington the way he did out of principle not only to cause as much physical damage as possible, but to make clear he is the superior man outright. If he and Conor fight, I have no doubt in my mind he'll attempt to do the exact same and put Conor through as many tortuous rounds as possible... thing is, Usman's stand up is poor and he walks forward reliant on absorbing blows and firing back over avoidance and technical guile with craft. If he gives Conor the same openings and shots he gave Covington, he's going to sleep because they'll all be landing in the right spots at the right times with Usman's own size and momentum contributing to the impact point damage.

Not quite Aldo's levels of emotional irrationality, but along those same tracks of Usman wanting to destroy this guy will play right into Conor's only realistic inlet for the win. If Usman is cautious and looks to take him down, Conor will be in for a torrid night and gassed even quicker than normal, but the odds of Conor getting in Usman's head and having him coming out trying to decapitate him are a lot higher than a bigger man exercising caution in a fight he has said would be a massacre. The optics of Usman shelling up and potshotting shots would be terrible for him against the much smaller man who, he's already said, shouldn't even be in his division.

Like it or not, 2 from 3 going up 3 weight classes would look tremendous on a C.V. even without the groundwork in the division. It'd also justify Conor being given preferential treatment, much to the ire of the rest of the star roster.
Prize fighters. The rankings mean less than nothing. They'll fast track anyone who is entertaining and can actually fight.

Usman wipes the floor with Conor all day long.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yeah, agreed. It's a massive mismatch I think and he'll get mauled by Usman for sure.

I somehow doubt this will happen though. I think Dana will protect his cash cow for now and save his credibility for the obvious Khabib vs Conor II payoff.
That would be the smart move, especially since Dana gave Conor an easy fight with Cowboy, to avoid him losing again, which would've made his PPV draw decrease. Getting smashed against Usman would decrease the chances of Conor ever fighting Khabib again.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'm sure Usman's manager putting forward the idea of a potential McGregor fight has nothing to do with the ongoing negotiations for a fight with Masvidal, who recently tried to flex for more money by suggesting he could fight Diaz again instead.

RedFish

Yeah, agreed. It's a massive mismatch I think and he'll get mauled by Usman for sure.

I somehow doubt this will happen though. I think Dana will protect his cash cow for now and save his credibility for the obvious Khabib vs Conor II payoff.
Same. No way Conor fights Usman. Too strong. Plus Usman isn't a draw for PPV so basically it just doesn't make any sense.

I'd like to see him face Gaethje. The Gaethje of old, would get sparked by Conor I think, but after that flawless performance against El Cucy on the back of impressive wins agaisnt Barboza and Vicks, I'm not so sure about the outcome now....

Regarding Khabib, I cant see any way Conor is competitive against him.

Gaethje (be Khabib) may be able to stop it going to ground and he does have Whitman in his corner....

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I'm sure Usman's manager putting forward the idea of a potential McGregor fight has nothing to do with the ongoing negotiations for a fight with Masvidal, who recently tried to flex for more money by suggesting he could fight Diaz again instead.
;)

RedFish

You're proving the point.
Well.yes, it's all about who people will pay to see fight. They get to jump the queue.

Not that I agree with it, as i do like a sense of order, but anyone following the rankings over the last decade and more will know they mean jack.

Like I said, I'd prefer a fair ranking system etc but that - we do not have. So what do you expect. It is what it is .......

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Well.yes, it's all about who people will pay to see fight. They get to jump the queue.

Not that I agree with it, as i do like a sense of order, but anyone following the rankings over the last decade and more will know they mean jack.

Like I said, I'd prefer a fair ranking system etc but that - we do not have. So what do you expect. It is what it is .......
In relation to what I replied to and then your reply about Usman obliterating Conor.

Sure, that's what's supposed to happen when a lighter fighter moves up a division and faces its champion (no less), which is what I highlighted for all divisions, not just in relation to Conor, but then if Conor 'shocks the world', it'll be seen as a legendary feat that would have him circumvent the entire process of staying a division and cleaning it out Jon Jones' style.

Dana is a money-hungry sleeze, but he'd not put his prized asset in a fight that'd knock his worth to the company down by a number of notches. Having said that, it's all win-win for Conor in a weight class he's supposed to be too small for. If they did fight, it's Usman under immense pressure to make good on his word, putting on a show, being the aggressor and dominant force, and with his comparatively sloppy stand-up, it's not as clear cut as being made out, imo.

Usman showed emotional vulnerability in the Covington fight; if he fights Conor that exact same way, he's going to sleep.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town

Hello Max

RedFish

In relation to what I replied to and then your reply about Usman obliterating Conor.

Sure, that's what's supposed to happen when a lighter fighter moves up a division and faces its champion (no less), which is what I highlighted for all divisions, not just in relation to Conor, but then if Conor 'shocks the world', it'll be seen as a legendary feat that would have him circumvent the entire process of staying a division and cleaning it out Jon Jones' style.

Dana is a money-hungry sleeze, but he'd not put his prized asset in a fight that'd knock his worth to the company down by a number of notches. Having said that, it's all win-win for Conor in a weight class he's supposed to be too small for. If they did fight, it's Usman under immense pressure to make good on his word, putting on a show, being the aggressor and dominant force, and with his comparatively sloppy stand-up, it's not as clear cut as being made out, imo.

Usman showed emotional vulnerability in the Covington fight; if he fights Conor that exact same way, he's going to sleep.
Appreciate the lose-lose scenario for someone like Usman no if he fought Conor. Aside from dollars ++ there's nothing in it for him ( though that ought to be enough given they're all in it for the money).

Don't like fighters moving up or down to face the Champion without earning the right to either, but the way the rankings are at the moment........

Agree Dana most likely won't risk Conor in a match up with Usman, but his fans would keep his PPV numbers up anyway. It's like Hatton and his army of fans. They never did leave him right up to the day he retired.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Am interesting bout would be McGregor v Colby. The build up will be nuts and it's the one time McGregor could potentially be the unanimous baby-face :lol: