The MMA thread

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
anyone seen the embedded series for saturday?

Miocic just won the belt and he is already spending it all (cars, luxury clothing).

I wonder if his mindset is in the right place. Got a feeling Overeem gonna take that belt now. Should be a good one.

Oggmonster

anyone seen the embedded series for saturday?

Miocic just won the belt and he is already spending it all (cars, luxury clothing).

I wonder if his mindset is in the right place. Got a feeling Overeem gonna take that belt now. Should be a good one.
Did he buy a car? I thought he just went to a car show. He did get 50k bonus in his last fight as well so sure he has some disposable cash. He pretty heavily promoted the suit place as well which could come with some kind of discount, free advertising after all.

I think he seems up for it, he was the same before the Werdum fight, he's just a bit childish really. It's entertaining though.

Dunno about you but I've found that all of Miocic, Overeem, Punk and Gall have all come across alright really. Dunno who I want to win them fights now!

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Did he buy a car? I thought he just went to a car show. He did get 50k bonus in his last fight as well so sure he has some disposable cash. He pretty heavily promoted the suit place as well which could come with some kind of discount, free advertising after all.

I think he seems up for it, he was the same before the Werdum fight, he's just a bit childish really. It's entertaining though.

Dunno about you but I've found that all of Miocic, Overeem, Punk and Gall have all come across alright really. Dunno who I want to win them fights now!
yeah i like all of them. Good bunch of guys.

But just like Werdum before his fight in Brazil, Miocic has been way too much exposed to the media of late. Going to parades, taking his belt fecking everywhere, etc, which clearly affected Werdum out of his concentration. So i'm worried it will affect him too.

edit. i really want CM Punk to win, but after watching his sparring sessions I'm not too hopeful. Old man strength is the only factor i can think on his favour.

Last edited:

Charlie Foley

Strongly disagree with this. A noble one on one, with unwritten rules, perhaps, but people bite, gouge, scratch, pull out weapons plus others quickly jump in if their mate is losing and unless you can quickly take the neck in those situations, you really want to keep as much distance from the assailant(s) as possible. I think BJJ gives some people a false sense of confidence in that they want to engage as quickly as possible, which could be a really bad idea in a street fight.
What's the best martial art in such a circumstance would you say? Krav Maga?

Oggmonster

What's the best way to watch UFC 203 in the UK?

(willing to pay / don't have BT sport).
UFC Fight Pass has the events 2 days after but other than that legally the only way is BT I think mate. There's various websites which will have it on the morning after which arent legal but decent enough quality.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
What's the best martial art in such a circumstance would you say? Krav Maga?
The average street-fight is determined inside a minute, generally supposedly around 30 seconds. High octane, explosive frenzies (usually wild swings to the head) that get even worse if someone is felled (stomps and kick-ins) so you want, at all costs, to avoid any unnecessary tangling, especially anything that has your back or peripheral vision compromised.

A lot of schools of Muay Thai, Hapkido, boxing (dirty boxing) have derivative street forms that are rapid and brutal. But obviously something like Krav Maga is on another level for real-world practicality because that's what it was made for. The Filipino arts are along the same lines, too, as they are for armed and un-armed real life scenarios, and they are fecking nasty.

Grappling is a massive asset to have, but in real terms it has to be a bonus because tangling blind-sided and/or rolling around on a pavement whilst a bunch of random people watch (and decide whether they want to stick the boot in) would be really ill-advised.

Diver

....and nobody likes a diver.
Watch Diver Shoots His Load In The General
UFC Fight Pass has the events 2 days after but other than that legally the only way is BT I think mate. There's various websites which will have it on the morning after which arent legal but decent enough quality.
Thanks man!

I may have to accidentally stumble on to the wrong site in the early hours of Sunday morning.

JP77

Weight cut clearly noticeable on Punk during the press conference today.

Really would love to see Travis knock Werdum out. Hoping Miocic does the same to Overeem too.

Oggmonster

By 3rd party reselling compañías though... Or not?

Anyway, hopefully is packed to the rafters.
Yeah it's all touts which is shite. SUre they will sell the tickets though but just unfair on the people who wanted to go.

I got 3 in the presale which am happy with, not the best seats but to get in TIer 1 it was 100+ quid, I'm 2nd tier 5th row back.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
CM Punk to win by way of reaching into his shorts for shards of glass and grinding them into Gall's forehead.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Glad Punk didn't shake his hand. Gall has been far too nice through all of this. But it's clearly an act, Punk sees right through him.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Punk to win, McGregor to storm into the ring and stare him down only to raise his hand before grabbing the mic off of Joe Rogan and calling out the Diaz brothers for a tag team match.

If that happened, the people who bought the UFC for 4 billion would make all their money back from one PPV.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Punk to win, McGregor to storm into the ring and stare him down only to raise his hand before grabbing the mic off of Joe Rogan and calling out the Diaz brothers for a tag team match.

If that happened, the people who bought the UFC for 4 billion would make all their money back from one PPV.
I had never thought about a tag team mma match before but now I can't stop thinking about it.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert

Needs an one night guest app for JR. "Bah gawd Joe! What fresh hell is this?! You son of a bitch Conor, you son of a bitch!!!!"

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
I don't know much about MMA, but I'm surprised that anyone would pick Punk to win. It's a whole new world. Surely no matter how determined he is and how hard he prepared, there's just a lack of drilled in fundamentals that comes with actually competing.

He's not going from kickboxing to MMA, or judo to MMA. He's going from pretend fighting to actual fighting.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I don't know much about MMA, but I'm surprised that anyone would pick Punk to win. It's a whole new world. Surely no matter how determined he is and how hard he prepared, there's just a lack of drilled in fundamentals that comes with actually competing.

He's not going from kickboxing to MMA, or judo to MMA. He's going from pretend fighting to actual fighting.
Hardly anyone is picking Punk. He's a huge underdog in the betting but in mma you never know, his opponent is also a rookie and all it takes is one mistake.

Punk has been training with a seriously good team for two years (he's not walked straight from a WWE ring to the cage) so he will have the skill to sneak a submission if the other guy tries something silly.

Oggmonster

As @duffer says it's not like he's fighting a dead experienced fighter. Gall is young and the 2 people he has fought professional had 1-0 records so even he hasn't fought many people.

I don't know many people picking Punk, most people who give him any chance do so on the fact he probably won't feel under as much pressure due to performing in front of huge crowds before.

I've not seen anyone say they think Punk will win, just they want him to.

JP77

Miocic
Browne
Gall
Rivera
Andrade
Correia

Hoping I'm wrong about three of those in Gall, Andrade and Correia. I'm not even a fan of Punk but the amount of people shitting on him kind of makes me want to see him pull it off. Whatever the result it'll be interesting to see how much he's learned in a year+ under a top team. Want to see Calderwood beat Andrade but Andrade looked a beast on her Straweight debut, somebody get's finished either way. Like Eye but she's on a three fight losing streak (in fairness those are against good opposition in McMann, Tate and Pena), think Correia will just have too much for her.

Other three are a complete toss up for me, three tough fights to call. Expecting fireworks and finishes throughout the entire night.

Oggmonster

Eye
Calderwood
Faber
Gall
Werdum
Overeem

For me. I think Overeem/Miocic is a 50/50 fight. Think Faber will have far to much for Rivera to be honest, I'd still have Faber as 3rd best in his division and the top 3 is miles in front of everyone else. Spoke about Gall and Punk in previous post but can't see how CM Punk wins myself. Werdum eased past Browne last time and I think he will stop him this time. Except Rousey I'd back anyone who trains with Tarverdyan to lose as well.

Last edited:

Sylar

Gall looks quite charismatic. So if Punk wins, great for UFC.
If Gall wins, they can use him going forward (a "star" made at the expense of Punks name value).