The MMA thread

kidbob

Ok wents as I expected, Woodley can't deal with pressure against someone who can defend the takedowns (Rory being a perfect prewatch fight). Jone just will never be beaten unless he goes to HW or fights until he is 40. The greatest MMA fighter of all time by quite a distance. But I'm here to remind people of Jose Aldo. A guy we remember for getting KOd aftewr taking taking shit off Conor for over a year. A guy w seen Max, not outclass, but overwhelm 2 times.

Serioulsy we news of him and Volkanovski happening I'm sure Aldo will destroy yet another prospect. The only guy he can't beat is Max and not because he is a worse fighter, he simply can't hold the pace and chin that Max has. I'd worry for him against Conor again but he has the abilities to beat him. Aldo is one of the GOATS of this sport. Took out Mendes x2, Edgar x2, Mociano, Stevens, Faber and so on and will destroy Volkanovski. What an absolute sometime forgotten animal.

kidbob

Also in a preemptive post, serious Conor KOS Ferguson in 2 but Ferguson gives Khabib way more trouble. The perfect rock, paper, scissors of MMA.

Andersons Dietician

I'm sure there was something not right with him. He was way too passive and powerless, it just didnt look right. Nevertheless, I have a lot of respect how he handled that loss, for me, still one of the best
Yeah very true, maybe this is just what happens when he comes up against a guy of this size that is just as good if not a better wrestler than he is so he was worried about over committing to any shots, he is a great analyst, talks well, educated and generally seems like a good loser, no complaints, no nothing, straight up said he wasn’t good enough on the night. Respect to him. Hope to see him again but honestly don’t think he’ll get a shot at the title again unless he wipes out the division first.

Oggmonster

Ok wents as I expected, Woodley can't deal with pressure against someone who can defend the takedowns (Rory being a perfect prewatch fight). Jone just will never be beaten unless he goes to HW or fights until he is 40. The greatest MMA fighter of all time by quite a distance. But I'm here to remind people of Jose Aldo. A guy we remember for getting KOd aftewr taking taking shit off Conor for over a year. A guy w seen Max, not outclass, but overwhelm 2 times.

Serioulsy we news of him and Volkanovski happening I'm sure Aldo will destroy yet another prospect. The only guy he can't beat is Max and not because he is a worse fighter, he simply can't hold the pace and chin that Max has. I'd worry for him against Conor again but he has the abilities to beat him. Aldo is one of the GOATS of this sport. Took out Mendes x2, Edgar x2, Mociano, Stevens, Faber and so on and will destroy Volkanovski. What an absolute sometime forgotten animal.
Aldo does get plenty of credit and is constantly up there in the debate of P4P GOAT. The usual names in there are GSP, MM, Jones, Aldo and Anderson Silva but his name is always there. His problem is you could argue 2 of them (Jones and GSP) are definitely better and people often debate the other 3 in any order.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Also in a preemptive post, serious Conor KOS Ferguson in 2 but Ferguson gives Khabib way more trouble. The perfect rock, paper, scissors of MMA.
Not so sure. Connors power might not transcend beyond featherweight. Yes, he knocked down Alvarez a few times, but even then, it wasn't the KO power he showed against Poirier or Aldo...

poleglass red

Not so sure. Connors power might not transcend beyond featherweight. Yes, he knocked down Alvarez a few times, but even then, it wasn't the KO power he showed against Poirier or Aldo...
I think it's his speed more than anything that has gone. He used to catch people with punches they didn't see coming due to the speed and angles he threw at.Don't think he has that as much anymore and once you take that aspect from his game, that's his main weapon. Maybe he's trying to become more well rounded and is not focusing on his strengths. Just doesn't seem to have them same zip anymore

No Love

Very fun card this weekend. So many watchable fights. Don’t want either of the two men in the main event to lose though! :(

Oggmonster

I'm surprised Stipe isn't getting much consideration in all of this. He's already beaten Ngannou which is massive.
Yeah true. To be honest I didn't even consider him. I dunno if he's still holding out for the rematch seems the likes of JDS and Ngannou are happy to fight each other which prob works for UFC more if the Lesnar stuff is actually happening...I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't and we get DC fighting Ngannou or something

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Conor self-hyping himself over the past few years was a smart move since his draw is likely to drop after losing and and the various arrests. Fighting Mayweather was stroke of genius - 4 years worth of UFC paychecks in one hour.

Oggmonster

Conor self-hyping himself over the past few years was a smart move since his draw is likely to drop after losing and and the various arrests. Fighting Mayweather was stroke of genius - 4 years worth of UFC paychecks in one hour.
I don't think the arrests will do much.

Tyson went to prison for tape, Mayweather for beating up his wife and they were still the biggest draws in boxing. Doubt people stop watching McGregor fight cos he broke a phone. If anything the incident with the bus ended up selling the fight more.

Andersons Dietician

Calderwood vs Chookagin, I’m guessing winner of that gets the next title shot At whomever holds it after Valentina vs Eye.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Yeah I think a lot of it is a pride thing. I think Hardy and Smith break it down well in respect to both GSP and Jones in that they get in there thinking it can be done but then they realise it's harder than it looks. It's basically admitting you're beaten by a better fighter and none of them really like admitting that.

I think they are scared of looking a bit daft as well. Basically before it saying the plan then realising the plan was never going to work in hindsight. I don't think it does personally, think you look more stupid if you get outclassed for 5 rounds and then still won't admit the other guy is a better fighter.
These guys rely on mental foundations that swear they are the best and can match up to anybody - I don't think it's pride, rather a mental fortitude most would crumble or seriously doubt themselves without.

It takes a special kind of fighter to admit inferiority to another fighter; that's basically making yourself a beta amongst the bigger dogs, unless of course, you're a Cormier or so who has smashed everyone else and only has one obstacle to prove against.

The soul searching one must do after the revelation you're way further down the totem than you imagined would be the end of a lot of fighters.

kidbob

No excuses for Conor, he's showing that he's a real piece of shit. But look in my mind Khabib beats him 9/10 times no matter the circumstances but it's clear now after Kavanaugh's comments and the recent shit going on that Khabib beat a very different Conor from the Alvarez or Aldo fights. His head just isn't there anymore and I wouldn't be surprised to see him lose to even lesser opponents if he continues fighting. The ironic thing of him wanting to be like Floyd is that Floyd never lost his focus on boxing the way Conor has in MMA. He ain't got the same passion now. The old Conor would be in the gym doing everything he could to beat Khabib but instead he is out partying.

Luke1995

Rockhold has told ESPN that he was offered a fight against Corey Anderson and is waiting to hear back. That fight would be so intriguing to me, because it has alot of questions:

- Can LHW Rockhold be as good or better than his 2014-2015 version ?

- Will the difference in age between them (Rockhold is 34 coming off a few surgeries and Anderson 29, reaching his physical prime) have any impact in the fight ?

- Is Anderson willing to strike with him ? (If he wants to be a champion, will have to show improvements there) Everyone knows about Luke's chin, but he's also a very dangerous kicker

- Can Anderson be the first fighter to take Rockhold down and dominate him for 15/25 minutes ? What happens if Rockhold is the one to score a takedown ?

I'm all in on that one.