The MMA thread

Fener1907

Has Cejudo always been like this or did he spend too much time around Colby?

Can't wait for next weekend. Romero and Costa are going to slap the steroids out of each other, and it will be just shy of three years when Nate returns.

Oggmonster

It comes across as a bit boring because she's a counter striker who waits for her opponent to commit. If the opponent doesn't commit then you get a boring result where the fans start jeering for lack of action.

She's not particularly attractive imo (unlike her sister). As for the Nunes fights, she could've easily won either of those fights. The first one was right after she joined the UFC and took Nunes the distance and the second, many people thought she actually won, so losing a couple of nailbiters to Nunes can't be held against her. I think she has a good chance of beating her next time if Dana creates a proper superfight.
Attractive? Hmmm.

She can beat Nunes. She was so close before.
Beauty in the eye of the beholder I suppose! I've seen plenty of comments around though whenever she fights saying she's attractive etc (don't see it myself either but each to their own) I'm not saying it's the only reason people rate her but it does seem to have an impact on people watching her.

I'm not claiming she's an awful fighter or anything she's clearly high level, albeit she's put on a load of really boring fights, just I find it odd people proclaim she's currently the best female fighter when she's lost to Nunes twice who's CV is much better.

RedFish

Has Cejudo always been like this or did he spend too much time around Colby?

Can't wait for next weekend. Romero and Costa are going to slap the steroids out of each other, and it will be just shy of three years when Nate returns.

He's just trying to annoy anyone who'll take notice, like Covington as you say. Gets a bit tiring. Generally try to avoid him, as I just find it too WWE.

RedFish

Beauty in the eye of the beholder I suppose! I've seen plenty of comments around though whenever she fights saying she's attractive etc (don't see it myself either but each to their own) I'm not saying it's the only reason people rate her but it does seem to have an impact on people watching her.

I'm not claiming she's an awful fighter or anything she's clearly high level, albeit she's put on a load of really boring fights, just I find it odd people proclaim she's currently the best female fighter when she's lost to Nunes twice who's CV is much better
Her (Nunes)MMA CV has more celebrity names on it, but Valentina is not exactly avoiding anyone. She is a 125er and that's that. Other than GDR, the others like Holly Holm just aren't that good ( as much as she's idolised). Cyborg was a demolition job fair enough. I'd Has Nunes fought anyone on the level of JJ - Not at all.

Nunes is high level for sure, one of the very best, but I think she belongs in the same category of elite fighters as JJ and Valentina. Randamie has the potential to be up there with them.

I honestly think Valentina currently is second to no one. I think generally she is widely regarded as being at the pinnacle of Women's MMA. She doesn't need to promote herself, her record and well earned standing in the sport speaks for itself.

Last edited:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

I'm not claiming she's an awful fighter or anything she's clearly high level, albeit she's put on a load of really boring fights, just I find it odd people proclaim she's currently the best female fighter when she's lost to Nunes twice who's CV is much better.
Valentina won the second fight and was robbed.

Oggmonster

Her (Nunes)MMA CV has more celebrity names on it, but Valentina is not exactly avoiding anyone. She is a 125er and that's that. Other than GDR, the others like Holly Holm just aren't that good ( as much as she's idolised). Cyborg was a demolition job fair enough. I'd Has Nunes fought anyone on the level of JJ - Not at all.

Nunes is high level for sure, one of the very best, but I think she belongs in the same category of elite fighters as JJ and Valentina. Randamie has the potential to be up there with them.

I honestly think Valentina currently is second to no one. I think generally she is widely regarded as being at the pinnacle of Women's MMA. She doesn't need to promote herself, her record and well earned standing in the sport speaks for itself.
I don't think she's avoiding anyone. I just don't think her CV is as impressive as Nunes and it seems a bit unfair on Nunes people discard her in the debate when she beat the person who people are claiming is better than her twice. It seems odd to dismiss the CV some what as well. Rousey was clearly a high level athlete and very good fighter who is somewhat talked down cos of how her career ended, I agree Holm isn't that good (but equally that takes a name of Shevchenko's record really.)

I'd argue someone like Cyborg is just as big of a name than JJ, especially when Joanna had to go up a weight to take the fight and the size difference was obvious watching. Takeaway the Joanna fight and Shevchenko isn't exactly full of great names, through no fault of her own she can only fight the division but look at her last 2 fights and it's hardly HOF level fighters and next in line is Katlyn Chookagian. It's hardly a great list.

I do think she's very good just not as good as people make out, it doesn't help that plenty of her fights are painfully dull to watch as well.

Valentina won the second fight and was robbed.
I mean she didn't though. For her to win she'd of have to of won the fight...but she lost. I don't get this whole narrative of people deciding who they thought won and then saying everything is a robbery. A robbery would imply a one sided fight scored the wrong way. It was a close fight when went in Nunes favour, that's not a robbery it's a close fight. That's life of a combat sport athlete.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don't think she's avoiding anyone. I just don't think her CV is as impressive as Nunes and it seems a bit unfair on Nunes people discard her in the debate when she beat the person who people are claiming is better than her twice. It seems odd to dismiss the CV some what as well. Rousey was clearly a high level athlete and very good fighter who is somewhat talked down cos of how her career ended, I agree Holm isn't that good (but equally that takes a name of Shevchenko's record really.)

I'd argue someone like Cyborg is just as big of a name than JJ, especially when Joanna had to go up a weight to take the fight and the size difference was obvious watching. Takeaway the Joanna fight and Shevchenko isn't exactly full of great names, through no fault of her own she can only fight the division but look at her last 2 fights and it's hardly HOF level fighters and next in line is Katlyn Chookagian. It's hardly a great list.

I do think she's very good just not as good as people make out, it doesn't help that plenty of her fights are painfully dull to watch as well.

I mean she didn't though. For her to win she'd of have to of won the fight...but she lost. I don't get this whole narrative of people deciding who they thought won and then saying everything is a robbery. A robbery would imply a one sided fight scored the wrong way. It was a close fight when went in Nunes favour, that's not a robbery it's a close fight. That's life of a combat sport athlete.
Ok maybe not a robbery. GSP over Hendricks was a robbery. Lawler over Condit was a robbery. I had Shevchenko winning that fight though, and I think if they fight again it could go either way. I can't say that about any other potential challengers for Nunes.

RedFish

Ok maybe not a robbery. GSP over Hendricks was a robbery. Lawler over Condit was a robbery. I had Shevchenko winning that fight though, and I think if they fight again it could go either way. I can't say that about any other potential challengers for Nunes.

Absolutely, which is a credit to Valentina given that she is the smaller physically and would essentially be fighting someone above her weight class. If that doesn't tell you something then I don't know!

Oggmonster

Absolutely, which is a credit to Valentina given that she is the smaller physically and would essentially be fighting someone above her weight class. If that doesn't tell you something then I don't know!
You could argue the same about Nunes going up to fight Cyborg after all she is of a higher weightclass...and has also abused steroids for that long it's a ridiculous disadvantage there to.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
You could argue the same about Nunes going up to fight Cyborg after all she is of a higher weightclass...and has also abused steroids for that long it's a ridiculous disadvantage there to.
Nunes definitely has a better CV but unlike every other fighter she’s faced, there is doubt that she could beat Shevchenko the way she has the likes of Rousey and Cyborg. The fight would likely go the distance again and be a close decision, much as the previous two have. Frankly, there’s a lot to gain by having a third fight since Valentina could be walking around with two belts afterward.

Oggmonster

Nunes looked bigger IIRC. Kudos for the win though she destroyed the Cyborg.
She put on a lot of size agreed but she still went up the weight class and did it. And against someone who people gave her not much of a chance against and did it really easily.

Nunes definitely has a better CV but unlike every other fighter she’s faced, there is doubt that she could beat Shevchenko the way she has the likes of Rousey and Cyborg. The fight would likely go the distance again and be a close decision, much as the previous two have. Frankly, there’s a lot to gain by having a third fight since Valentina could be walking around with two belts afterward.
I'm not disputing the fights were close or maybe it should happen again. My point was it's a bit of a disservice to Nunes the praise Valentina gets when she fights all the time when Nunes beat her twice (close fights or not.)

Re the last point, whilst it's possible I hope we don't get another double champ. It's honestly the worst "gimmick" ever. It was painful enough when Conor did it but it's a constant thing now and is really tedious. It actually makes me root against whoever is going for the second belt just cos it's that shit.

Andersons Dietician

@Oggmonster I think the two you’re speaking about will always just split opinion. For me that 2nd fight wasn’t close. Valentina won it easily by her superior skill level. Nunes just was the aggressor and pushed forward and maybe the judges don’t like the fact that all Valentina did was counter strike.

They are also two very different fighters. On a technical level Valentina is I would say a country mile better than Nunes but Nunes hits like a truck and you can see people shut down as soon as she lays a glove on them or it just registering in their heads what the fook was that. Nunes is obviously still a good striker but I would say Joanna and Valentina are at another level but the power is a great equaliser.

Not sure it’s worth seeing a 3rd fight between them as probably just go the same way with Valentina counter striking but if she can’t land something hard enough to make Nunes double think or put her out probably be a Nunes win again.

Anyway saw this, proper gangster “who’s the champions in my weight class 55 and 70?”

Just doesn’t care but him vs Masvidal would be :drool:

Fener1907

Anyway saw this, proper gangster “who’s the champions in my weight class 55 and 70?”

Just doesn’t care but him vs Masvidal would be :drool:
He has a point. Not that he's better (assuming he meant he could beat them) but definitely cooler. Usman's grinding his way to a championship and losing to Colby Covington in the trash talking. Realistically, how many casuals are looking out for his upcoming fights.

Three years out and Diaz can still stroll back in and steal the show.

RedFish

Just for you @Oggmonster

predator

Youth NITK
Question.

If I sign up for fight pass on Saturday (free trial or not) will I be able to watch the whole of UFC 241 on sunday afternoon uk time?

I'm working away this weekend and will miss it live. I want to somehow watch the whole event, around Sunday afternoon, without knowing any results.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Question.

If I sign up for fight pass on Saturday (free trial or not) will I be able to watch the whole of UFC 241 on sunday afternoon uk time?

I'm working away this weekend and will miss it live. I want to somehow watch the whole event, around Sunday afternoon, without knowing any results.
Nope.

"Pay-Per-View event replays are available to subscribers 30 days after the original event airs, or the day after the next UFC event airs (whichever is later)."

it will be available in the torrent sites though.

predator

Youth NITK
Nope.

"Pay-Per-View event replays are available to subscribers 30 days after the original event airs, or the day after the next UFC event airs (whichever is later)."

it will be available in the torrent sites though.
Not familiar with them.

Is there any way I can watch it legit having paid for it?

predator

Youth NITK
BT Sport's thumbnail for the event will show the winner they're that stupid.
Yeah I thought about this aswell. Even if I watch an official replay the results will be displayed before I even start it.

Tbf I just want to watch the Diaz - Pettis / DC - Miocic and be completely oblivious to the result. I will have my phone on 'do not disturb' and will refuse to look at social media.

Surely in this day and age I can do that about 12 hours after the fights have happened, if I paid too?

I feel like the only way to solve my predicament is if someone recorded the 2 fights and sent them to me.