g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The Modern / Current Players Draft

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Only now I noticed/remembered that post-1990 rule. Hazard in the first round makes more sense now

Annahnomoss

I don't agree with this bullying of Ribéry. He deserves his diacritical marks, same as everyone else.

As do Modrić and Vidić, incidentally.
Ribery easily deserves to be a first pick. He's a bit of a dark sheep in these drafts though.

NM

Haas @MJJ PM'd anybody? If not, that's it for a while as he won't be up for sometime.

VivaJanuzaj

@Pat_Mustard I think Veratti is a great pick, considered him myself, but I don't think Barzagli is as good as you describe him. I admit that I don't watch Juventus enough to be the best judge, but he always seemed to me like the weaker one from the trio.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
regretting passing up on Verratti now for De Jong. Just felt with the players I have in mind, my midfield would have become too technical and lightweight. Suits Pats team better.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I don't agree with this bullying of Ribéry. He deserves his diacritical marks, same as everyone else.

As do Modrić and Vidić, incidentally.
Aye. Not to mention Rööney and Cãrrick - they're always ignored and I for one hope this draft will change that.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Yeah. He needs to prove himself more in big tournaments, but very good CB nonetheless.
He has been excellent in the 2 WCs he's played in, being integral for the rather unfancied team which made the semis in 2010 and was equally good in the 2014 team as well.

His CL performances have been top notch as well, commandeering one of the stingiest defenses in recent memory, to just concede 6 goals in their run to the final last season and being the leader of the la liga winning team, conceding a miserly 26 goals throughout the domestic campaign.

His big game performances have been mint as well. Being MOTM and scoring against Italy in a vital WC encounter, almost winning the CL final with his goal and performance until Ramos's last min equalizer and finally his display and 'winner' in the title decider against Barca in the Camp Nou, in the penultimate game of last season.

Varane and Benatia should be nowhere near Godin or Boateng.

I'd say there's a top four there of Silva, Vidic, Terry and Godin. Silva the pick of the bunch. Then followed by Boateng, Kompany and Chiellini. It's hard to judge the Real duo given their propensity for the occasional calamity but otherwise strength at playing a high line.
Agreed although I could understand it if someone placed Godin in the second tier behind that trio, with the likes of Company, Boateng and Chiellieni all in the third tier.

Tbh I was surprised to see Godin sneak through, we thought he was a goner for sure, esp with the recent batch of meh defenders. So much so that Skizzo was willing to sacrifice David Silva to pick Godin, as we were certain that he was bound to be united with Aguero by crappy. Thankfully that didn't happen :D.

They can really be behind them, but okay I'm not saying you're wrong about these two.
But Godin's peak is too short for me to give him the 4th spot.
He has been magnificent for Atletico for a good 3-4 years now and is the best defender in the world for some time now. He barely gets any plaudits though, you see the likes of Luiz in the FifPro team of the year and Ramos winning the la liga defender of the year last season, with Godin bizarrely not even being nominated! Tbf it's not just him but the entire Atletico team which gets inexplicably overlooked more often than not.

Last edited:

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Yeah, was a bit unsure on reaction to Verratti. The next Pirlo is quite a tag to live up to. Will be interesting to read match comments on him.
I'm happy to see him getting such a good reception obviously but I've never quite agreed with the next Pirlo tag. He's very classy on the ball of course, but he's an aggressive bastard who makes a prodigious amount of tackles. As much Gattuso as Pirlo really **NOT CLAIMING HE'S AS GOOD AS EITHER AT THEIR SPECIALITIES!

I don't think there will be too many people doubting Verratti, he's great. Barzagli, on the other hand, is a bit crap.
@Pat_Mustard I think Veratti is a great pick, considered him myself, but I don't think Barzagli is as good as you describe him. I admit that I don't watch Juventus enough to be the best judge, but he always seemed to me like the weaker one from the trio.
A bit gutted about the Barzagli reception as he's honestly looked like Juve's standout defender to me, but I'm well armed with a series of quotes to the contrary and a pathetic back up plan** of FIFA 15 rating :) (**primary plan really).

regretting passing up on Verratti now for De Jong. Just felt with the players I have in mind, my midfield would have become too technical and lightweight. Suits Pats team better.
I am concerned with the lightweight criticism regarding my midfield and was considering another option, even though I don't think the criticism holds water with Verratti as he's such an aggressive tackler. I do rate De Jong much higher than most also. As Gio referred to about the 2014 WC final, there really is something to be said for an old school midfield warrior.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Decent picks again Pat.
Cheers Gio. I'm happy with how my team is taking shape so far. All of them seem compatible in terms of a short passing game and composure in possession, and Villa brings a guaranteed goal threat. Defensive steel and physical presence are the big obstacles, especially if noone else rates Barzagli.

I should clarify here - I'm not claiming he's as good as Silva, Vidic or Terry, but they're the only 3 that are clearly superior to him imo.

Thats not much of a clarification but the unnamed players thing comes into effect!

harms

Staff
A bit gutted about the Barzagli reception as he's honestly looked like Juve's standout defender to me, but I'm well armed with a series of quotes to the contrary and a pathetic back up plan** of FIFA 15 rating :) (**primary plan really).
He was for me too. That Juve team was crap outside Serie A, but still they have/had some great players and incredible domestic achievements

NoPace

I don't watch a ton of Serie A, but I've read over and over that for the last 3-4 years Barzagli has been the best central defender at Juve.

Golden Nugget

Bloody hell, Rio not eligible for a modern players draft? Never realised how old he actually is.
I kept looking at the draft wondering why he hadn't been picked yet and then realised that he wasn't eligible. Really doesn't seem that old!

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
I have to disagree rgarding Barzagli. He is very good. Barzagli was easily Juve's best defender under Conte in the last four odd years. Overall, I would say Chiellini is better since I feel he regressed a bit in the last few years but pre-2008 Chiellini was pretty beast.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
He was for me too. That Juve team was crap outside Serie A, but still they have/had some great players and incredible domestic achievements
I don't watch a ton of Serie A, but I've read over and over that for the last 3-4 years Barzagli has been the best central defender at Juve.
Isn't this the same criticism against Kompany, Shite outside PL? He had good seasons here but was underwhelming in CL.

harms

Staff
Isn't this the same criticism against Kompany, Shite outside PL? He had good seasons here but was underwhelming in CL.
Yeah, pretty much, except I would say that Serie A is weaker. Barzagli played in Germany too and won the league with Wolfsburg but I haven't seen much of that Bundesliga tbh.

Feck, I wrote a big comment about Kompany and his regress, but then realized that it was full of unpicked names and was based around them :nono: Will save that for later.

MJJ

Some of us are KNACKERED :mad:
so am I mate, so am I. Am in office after four hour sleep :(

1. Pat_Mustard: 1. Xavi 2. Villa 3. Dani Alves 4. Barzagli 5. Verratti
  2. Raees: 1. Ronaldinho 2. Hummels 3. Chiellini 4. De Jong 5. Gundogan
  3. Physiocrat: 1. Robben 2. Fabregas 3. J. Boateng 4. Wilshere 5. Alba
  4. MJJ: 1. Kaká 2. Torres 3. Essien 4. Matic 5.Pique
  5. Stobzilla: 1. Lahm 2. Alaba 3. Vidal 4. Rooney
  6. The Red Viper: 1. Iniesta 2. Terry 3. Neymar 4. van Persie.
  7. Isotope: 1. Suárez 2. Eto'o 3. Mascherano 4. Pepe
  8. Theon: 1. Schweinsteiger 2. Ibrahimovic 3. Sánchez 4. Sneijder
  9. BorisDeLedFora: 1. Vidic 2. Kompany 3. De Rossi 4. Cavani
  10. Snow: 1. Hazard 2. Modric 3. Busquets 4. Azpilicueta
  11. VivaJanuzaj: 1. Thiago Silva 2. Yaya Touré 3. Ivanovic 4. Pogba
  12. NoPace: 1. Kroos 2. Reus 3. Ramos 4. Di María
  13. Barney: 1. Gerrard 2. Alonso 3. Martínez 4. Benatia
  14. Skizzo: 1. Müller 2. Evra 3. Godín 4. D. Silva
  15. crappycraperson: 1. Ribery 2. Agüero 3. Varane 4. Carrick
  16. NM: 1. Bale 2. Cole 3. Maicon 4. Cambiasso

I will take pique.

@Stobzilla please dont change my pick this time :( :p