The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NJM78

Since and including Sevilla game at OT our record is P21 W11 D2 L8 F30 A23.
Even our pre season was a shambles. This is clearly a team going nowhere and inconsistent for 6 months now. I’m almost certain we will lose at Chelsea, Juventus and City in next 7 games whilst struggling in the others. I think this will quite comfortably be our worst season in 26 years unless a change is made soon. Players seem lost and divided, Jose seems clueless and bitter whilst the board seem pretty much useless with regards to on the pitch matters.
Just a huge frustrating mess!

ManUtd1999

Since and including Sevilla game at OT our record is P21 W11 D2 L8 F30 A23.
Even our pre season was a shambles. This is clearly a team going nowhere and inconsistent for 6 months now. I’m almost certain we will lose at Chelsea, Juventus and City in next 7 games whilst struggling in the others. I think this will quite comfortably be our worst season in 26 years unless a change is made soon. Players seem lost and divided, Jose seems clueless and bitter whilst the board seem pretty much useless with regards to on the pitch matters.
Just a huge frustrating mess!
Ed Woodward here: please provide me with concrete suggestions of what to do to reverse this very bad trend. Please give names too.

Thank you!

BlueHaze

Why hasn't he been sacked yet? Only this club let's so much shit happen without taking action. If this was Real, Barca, Bayern or any other top club he would have gotten sacked ages ago and rightfully so. How much more of this shitshow are we going to have to endure? Moyesinho is dragging us down the filth just like he did with Chelsea before he got axed. The most pathetic thing is that here he reached the meltdown stage without even winning anything significant. The more time they give this guy the bigger the circus we will become. Everyone talks about player wages but no one mentions this bastard is on 15m a year for dragging the club down to absolute hell.

podurban2

Why hasn't he been sacked yet? Only this club let's so much shit happen without taking action. If this was Real, Barca, Bayern or any other top club he would have gotten sacked ages ago and rightfully so. How much more of this shitshow are we going to have to endure? Moyesinho is dragging us down the filth just like he did with Chelsea before he got axed. The most pathetic thing is that here he reached the meltdown stage without even winning anything significant. The more time they give this guy the bigger the circus we will become. Everyone talks about player wages but no one mentions this bastard is on 15m a year for dragging the club down to absolute hell.
Because we gave him a stupid contract, just like we did with Moyes. We are probably talking about millions in credit losses. No company would want that on their balance sheet.

Negan

Would love somebody to tell me which manager is gonna walk in and turn Young, Smalling and Jones into world beaters.

People are living in this fantasy world where Martial, Shaw, Pogba etc are “world class” and it’s the big bad Mourinho that’s holding them back.

Be careful what you wish for. We finished 2nd last year. We won a European cup and league cup in his first season. It’s a transition period and Rome wasn’t built overnight. Like it or not, the fact remains that Jose was denied signings by the board and what you’re witnessing right now is a result of that decision.

If he was allowed to splash the cash on Alderweireld, Sandro, Perisic and Willian, just like Pep has been... you’d be looking at a very different story right now.

Sereques

When SAF was the manager, I use to complain that Man United doesn't have a defensive manager. The Lord curse Man United with a manager that plays 3 defensive midfielders against a team that is yet to win at home and 17th place in the league. I've learn't my lesson and am praying to the Lord to rid Man United of this curse.

MuFc_1992

Would love somebody to tell me which manager is gonna walk in and turn Young, Smalling and Jones into world beaters.

People are living in this fantasy world where Martial, Shaw, Pogba etc are “world class” and it’s the big bad Mourinho that’s holding them back.

Be careful what you wish for. We finished 2nd last year. We won a European cup and league cup in his first season. It’s a transition period and Rome wasn’t built overnight. Like it or not, the fact remains that Jose was denied signings by the board and what you’re witnessing right now is a result of that decision.

If he was allowed to splash the cash on Alderweireld, Sandro, Perisic and Willian, just like Pep has been... you’d be looking at a very different story right now.
No it isn't because not signing 2 players doesn't make us play as badly as we are playing now. It can be argued that not signing the players he wanted made him go down this path of negativity that has ultimately resulted in this mess but it was his decision to react that way to not getting the signings. Just look at Poch who didn't get a single signing but his team are doing fine.

WPMUFC

how the club haven't briefed the press about sacking jose before the next game is beyond me. I watched a mini-match version of the game this morning (Aussie broadcaster shows condensed games), they are 100% not playing for him. Pogba was simply moving around at a cantor pace, couldn't give a stuff about the game and it feels like the players are just waiting for a new manager.

Sb_16

Its not about choosing sides. It about taking the logical first step towards solving the problem at hand. The problem being we're completely shit at football.

Jose was hired because he won trophies. Most thought it would reinstall winning mentality into the club and the rest would follow. We are nowhere close to that nevermind exciting football.

He's been backed in the market big time. How many of his recruits has performed well? Wasn't Jose known to be not fussed about rotation and had a stable starting eleven in the past? What is his best eleven here?

Who in their right mind thinks McTominay is a good CB? Apparently he had a great game yesterday. He leaves Bailly on the bench to make a point to Woodward. How is that not throwing away a game to stroke his ego?

Think about it, why do we make every team we face look like they are better than us at football?

Jose was hired because of his CV, his past achievements, knowing well his ultimate failures too. Isn't what we see today history repeating itself?

I can't believe there are still who will back him. It hasn't worked out for him here and its turning toxic. Ok, you like him but to have blind faith.

Seven Seas Sardines

If you honestly feel a new manager will suddenly turn the current team into title challengers then all the power to you. This team is a long way from winning important trophies, we can't even win the Mickey Mouse cup!
Chelsea is in the EL and looking like title challengers after two months of Sarri-ball. Why couldn't he do the same at United?

Danny_

The Albert Einstein of Economics
He should stay. Only 7 games into the season and people are bawling crying. It's a bad start, that's all.

ash_86

Chelsea is in the EL and looking like title challengers after two months of Sarri-ball. Why couldn't he do the same at United?
Cause chelsea has got quite good squad who just won the league couple of years back. On paper our squad looks good but we need to be patient with the new manager without placing heavy expectations right from the start.

gajender

Stop spouting nonsense signings or no signings we haven't played even a single team this season where we weren't supposed to be favourites and mostly comfortably so, we had a very easy start and still have lost three times it's all on Mourinho he is done as a top manager sooner he leaves it's better.

Rednotdead

We're currently 10th but we'll be in the bottom half of the league if Palace beat Bournemouth on Monday. This is where he's brought us to.

Enough.

Nikelesh Reddy

I want him out....I”m saying this for the first time.We are a mess right now...After 2 seasons we are still light years away from winning the league.He wasn’t backed in the transfer window this summer but he’s been heavily backed for the last 2 seasons.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Sure. Not as if the signings he's made so far have gone to pot:
Lukaku - poor form
Pogba - enough said
Matic - been poor since the turn of the year
Lindelof - so bad he was hooked off in favour of keeping a midfielder on at CB
Sanchez - record earner dropped from squad
Fred - dropped to bench
Bailly - dropped to bench in favour of having McTominay as a CB
Dalot - just recovered from injury, didn't make the squad for some reason
Mkhitaryan - ended up being surplus to requirements pretty quick
Zlatan - had a 'decent' season and that was it

Not one of them has been a certifiable success so far and you think by spending another 300M on players, things will just be hunky dory? 10 players signed (not counting Grant), eight still at the club, four started today and one of them was hooked off with the other three playing poorly. Should be pretty damning, no?

As for transition period and Rome wasn't built in a night - look at Chelsea and the transformation Sarri has made in such a short time in playing style compared to when they were coached by Conte. This is the third season we've been managed by Mourinho and our identity now boils down to playing against Derby and West Ham like they're Real Madrid or Barcelona.

Kyriacandro

Mou and pogba have to go he has lost the dressing room because of pogba which is sad but means his time is up. As for pogba far better players than him have taken united on and lost. Now we know why fergie wasn't fussed to let the arrogant show pony go.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
As the saying goes, you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear. Half of this squad are not good enough to wear the Utd shirt. Below average players in every area (De Gea) being the only exception. If they sack Mourinho the next manager needs to clear the dross out with Pogba and Sanchez at the top of the list. Our season is already finished.
Absolutely ridiculous post.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Board is a huge problem. Club is fecked up from top to bottom.

Okay a Linkin park reference,
"Jose is only a crack in this castle of glass"

Devils11

You don't have to buy big players to challenge. Look at liverpool squad, look at their defence and midfield , Robertson, Alexander-Arnold, Matip, Henderson , Milner , Wijnaldum etc ,are they world class players? The problem now is our players no longer have belief under Mourinho right now.

promisedlanchiao

Come to think of it, Jose Out, Woodward In. If you think about it, Woodward has backed our managers in all but two seasons. All of Van Gaal’s seasons were backed with galactico signings and Mourinho too, until Ed realised his signings weren’t getting us anywhere apart from down the finance toilet and toned it down this summer, not totally mind you.

Another person he didn’t back was Moyes but he had every right too, as Moyes’ targets were borderline stupid and unattainable. Fighting Bale’s dream club for him, Kroos, fighting Pep for Thiago etc etc. Nah.

Back on topic, Mourinho’s tactics are a poison and he needs to go. Zidane plays attacking football and Woodward will back him, along with the probability that Pogba and Martial will become the world class players we know they can be under him. Should do well in Europe as well and it’s not as if he’s never won a league title before. Add all this to the fact that he wants to manage us and it seems like such an obvious employment.

Thiagoal

Everything about the man is fecking negative and poisonous! There is no way he can turn this around and he has to go now!

The only reason he hasn't gone already is money and the ridiculous new contract he was given last year! Mourinho must have been laughing all the way to the bank thinking about his severance package... disgraceful!
For the first time in 30 odd years following United I will not be attending another game until he's gone!

Hamadovich86

You mean we need world class players to beat West Ham, Derby County, Wolves, Brighton? We got outplayed by these clearly lesser teams! Last season was a wash with Pool throwing away the league in favor of the CL, Chelsea and Arsenal in crisis if these teams were playing as well as they are today and de Gea wasnt in the form of his life we would not finish 2nd. Despite that we had the fewest chances created in the big 6 and played dreadful football. You dont have to have world class players to implement an attacking philosophy but Mourinho doesnt have one. His philosophy is to try and control the opponent by limiting their strengths, this used to work at some point but there is no indication that it does any more.

Lastly, we have to stop this bullshit narrative that he wasnt backed. Hes the most backed manager since SAF left, hes outspent SAF's last 6 or 7 seasons combined.

Look at the players he brought

Ibra (left) , Miki (left) , Pogba (bust up) , Bailly (doesnt play him) Lukaku (best player he got but out of form), Matic (no complaints about him) , Lindelof (shite) , Sanchez (out of form)
Fred (jury is still out), Dalot (jury is still out) , Grant (3rd keeper)

His transfers have been hit and miss at best and the rest hes had a falling out with. He wasnt trusted to sign more CBs when he wasnt playing the ones he bought! We have marginally improved under Mourinho but thats it, marginally and this season is about to unravel all that.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
It's the players have given up on him, it may also be the manager's constant whinging has become soo repetitive that it has sucked the life out of them.

Woody has to make a decision on whether to keep him until Jan and then evaluate the status or cut our losses now.

VP

Who are the 30% who still want this poisonous prick at our club? We don't have that many opposition supporters on here, do we?

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Bringing my 12 year old son to OT for the first time ever next Saturday. Should be a massive big deal, a memory for all time. The team is so bad that I am dreading it. Can we please sack this fool and restore the “buzz” to OT matchdays? Oh, can we also sack Paul Pogba? This situation does not even begin to change until both are gone IMHO.

Fracture90

One of the most successful managers in the history of the game and we can't make it work? We can't back him to the fullest. Honestly if we get rid of him, then we almost deserve to fail. I stand by my belief that we either commit to a manager fully or sack him. No half arsed shit that encourages harmful rumours, unsettles the dressing room. Order needs to be restored but it seems Ed is hell bent on making our club a laughing stock.
Name me a manager that has been backed to the fullest, I'll wait.

King.of.Red

I always like and support Jose but at this point it's better if he leaves the club. Too tired reading so many pointless negative news about us. It will be great if we have manager like Sarri who can focus build his chelsea team to play good football without many drama.

Joseunited

He should stay. Only 7 games into the season and people are bawling crying. It's a bad start, that's all.
Good grief,It's not just a start though is it!How shortsighted can you be.He has no idea what formation to play or which players to use and has alienated himself from too many players.There is nothing to suggest that this is all just down to a tricky start to the season,hell we should be sitting at the top of the league looking down at everyone with the way we were handed such an easy start.The longer he stays the more toxic the atmosphere around the club becomes and the bigger the hole becomes that the next manager has to dig us out of.

Thiagoal

All I want is a happy, positive, attack minded manager that will lift the doom at the club and get everyone enjoying football again; because I bloody hate it at the moment as do the players!

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
If the players are still with him, truly with him, you can maybe wait another game or two and see

But, it's self evident that he should go

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We need to cut the cord now. He's been a complete disappointment and is clearly not the right man for Manchester United.

Either get Zidane (someone with incredible recent success and a top man management record at Madrid) in, or go for potential scouting the best young managerial talent around. If it's not Zidane I'd like it to be a proper attacking coach like Sarri. Watching Chelsea yesterday I was in awe at how deeply he's impacted that squad so quickly. Would love for us to play like that even if we don't win the league next season. The focus has to be to get someone in who will elevate Pogba, Martial and Rashford. And obviously add a few key players to build a proper football team.

The caretaker option is not a bad one. Get rid of Jose and make a sensible decision on who takes over for 19/20.

davidmichael

Purposely playing a rookie midfielder at centre back when he’s played about 30 minutes football all season in favour of arguably our best centre back because he’s personally fallen out with him and just to show Woodward “I was right, we needed a centre back (even though I’ve bought two in two summers)” shows just how petty and all about himself Jose really is.

I’m sorry but the ‘Jose wasn’t backed in the summer’ line simply doesn’t work anymore as Spurs didn’t sign a single player and finished below us last season, Jose genuinely doesn’t give a feck and wants to be sacked so he can put all the blame on the players and Woodward but the reality is that this has been coming from last season and was very clear during pre season BEFORE the whole centre back saga.

Jose bought Pogba, Sanchez, Bailly and Mkhitaryan and has now fallen out with all of them and is at the point where already he’s dropping Fred (one of HIS signings) for Fellaini whilst also subbing Lindelof (HIS signing) and keeping on McTominay at centre back and showing he doesn’t rate HIS OWN signings.

The rot is only setting in deeper and the longer it’s allowed to continue the harder the job for the next person will become, I’m not a fan of knee jerk sackings early in a season but this isn’t knee jerk as it’s been coming for months but finishing second last season put a plaster over the top. We’ve no set first choice 11, no set formation, no direction, no style, no planning and it’s only getting worse.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
All I want is a happy, positive, attack minded manager that will lift the doom at the club and get everyone enjoying football again; because I bloody hate it at the moment as do the players!
Our football itself has no joy whatsoever. Even when we win 2-0 it just feels so mechanical. The romance and beauty has completely been sucked out by three dreary and lifeless managers. The most entertainment we get is sadly in soundbytes and player unveilings.

Lemansky

The Mourinho supporters disappeared pretty fast.
Comments like this one is so unnecessary. I have supported Mou all the way. The last games however I have changed my opinion - as I don’t think he is capable of turning this around.

I support Man Utd, that’s it. I want what is best for my club. I don’t think we will see huge changes if Mou goes though. The problem we have is much bigger than him.

ghg

When SAF was the manager, I use to complain that Man United doesn't have a defensive manager. The Lord curse Man United with a manager that plays 3 defensive midfielders against a team that is yet to win at home and 17th place in the league. I've learn't my lesson and am praying to the Lord to rid Man United of this curse.
This "defensive manager " has a team with a -2 goal difference , so hes obviously crap at that as well .

Status
Not open for further replies.