The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Here's the incident

Initial provocation

On the way back

Going by the number of annoyed faces, I think Marco Ianni did or yelled some sort of provocation on the way back as well.
Yeah on way back you can tell all the bench was pissed too.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
There was nothing wrong with the subs. Rashford and Martial were tired and fresh players give better odds of break. Pereira did his job well too. The pleasing thing for me was Martial hugging him and smiling at something Mourinho said, when subbed. If players are with Mourinho, he can definitely deliver better for us if we give him CBs he wants.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I am fed up with this shit. We need a manager who don’t shut shop the second we have the lead. I remember when fergie was in charge whenever we managed to clawback the deficit we didn’t shut shop instead we threw in more attackers and go for the kill.
Whilst I agree with the sentiment mate, you have perhaps forgotten how often SAF did that very same thing - particularly in his final title-winning season. The difference being, of course, is that we had the likes of Rooney and RVP available on the counter, so we still represented somehwta of a threat.

Lukaku, at least on current form, is not nearly as good as the previously mentioned.

Canagel

Players attacking after they have nothing to lose for the 2nd game in a row. The manager is still holding us back. Why can't we put 90 minutes together consistently like we did the 2nd halves of Chelsea and Newcastle?

Cloud7

Pereira, Herrera and Alexis came on, he didn't exactly bring on 3 defenders.
Alexis is a horrible choice to bring on in a situation like this. He’s barely contributing anything going forward all season, and he gives the ball away more than any other player on the team. What exactly was he supposed to bring to the game at this point?

R'hllor

Dont give a shit about JM in or out anymore, just, when he became such a coward, him being defensive in other clubs is not reason to have a go at him, or for parking a bus but the mentality behind it, stinks of cowardice since he joined us.

ash_86

His subs made us lose control of the game, after his initial tactics had us looking lost in the first half while Chelsea played rings around us, then the game was salvaged by a player he’s been trying to push out of the club for close to a year now. He deserves absolutely nothing.
Chelsea did absolutely nothing with their gazillion passes in the first half. They could've played for 3 days and could not have scored a goal in open play. The game was lost in the last kick of the match and had nothing to do with subs. Take your agenda and shove it somewhere else.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
There was nothing wrong with the subs. Rashford and Martial were tired and fresh players give better odds of break. Pereira did his job well too. The pleasing thing for me was Martial hugging him and smiling at something Mourinho said, when subbed. If players are with Mourinho, he can definitely deliver better for us if we give him CBs he wants.
He's already got a squad with one of the highest wage bills in world football - he should be delivering with what he has, and if he isn't managing to do so then that's of his own doing.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Taking Mata and Martial off was stupid, just gave Chelsea control of the game. We're very good when we're allowed to attack and given freedom but when we sit back and try to defend all the weaknesses start to reappear. I wish he wasn't so defensive minded

PepsiCola

When we abandon Mourinho's initial gameplan, which he gets wrong more often than right, is when we look a team.

Mick321

If anyone wants him out after today's result, give your head a wobble.
What because we drew a game with yet more shambolic defending? The standards have sunk so, so low now it's frightening. A draw at Chelsea isn't some sporting miracle, it's what we should be expecting at worst. We are Manchester United, not Brighton.

Treble

The players showed again that the team isn't struggling because they don't care. The limitations of this team come from the manager.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We're so shite at defending that parking the bus never works for us, just attack and keep attacking. We'll concede more but look what we can do when we create chances. You let the players attack they look interested, they show desire. There was a point just before we got our 2nd that players were just throwing themselves into every single tackle, just goes to show what a bit of creativity can do. And then we blew it, sat back and invited pressure which let them create another chance which they scored from.

Mourinho needs to let the whole team off the leash, give the midfield and attack license to attack, if he keeps pulling this conservative nonsense which is costing us points then he's had it. If we just lets us play like we've shown we're capable of doing then he wouldn't get half this criticism from the media and we wouldn't lose half as many points either. So fecking frustrating.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
What because we drew a game with yet more shambolic defending? The standards have sunk so, so low now it's frightening. A draw at Chelsea isn't some sporting miracle, it's what we should be expecting at worst. We are Manchester United, not Brighton.
In normal circumstances you'd look at a draw against a title-contending team away from home as a solid and decent if not remarkable result, but the problem is that after our shambolic start to the season we're in a position where we can't reasonably afford to drop points on a regular basis at all if we want to have a decent season. Improved results against the likes of Wolves, West Ham etc would've given us more leeway in that regard.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
What on earth... I am not even JM out guy.
In response to someone before saying he wants him out right in the aftermath of this result. I'm saying there's nothing more he could have done today.

el3mel

Plenty of positives to take from today. We're still in October and if we play like we did in second half of last 2 matches for the upcoming months we'll get closer to the top in no time. The key is to make these 45 minutes a total of 90 minutes, not just one half.

He needs to just drop Lukaku as he's letting everyone down. Start Sanchez up top with the same lineup as today.

Cloud7

Chelsea did absolutely nothing with their gazillion passes in the first half. They could've played for 3 days and could not have scored a goal in open play. The game was lost in the last kick of the match and had nothing to do with subs. Take your agenda and shove it somewhere else.
They were almost 2-0 up but for a miscontrolled pass by Alonso. They looked far more likely to create anything than we did in that half, but I’m the one with the agenda :rolleyes:

He took off our two best players on the day, one who was a massive threat going forward all day, and the other who is probably the best player in our team at ball retention, and replaced them with an attacker who loses the ball at almost every opportunity and a midfielder who hasn’t had a good game in quite some time. With Martial and Rashford off, only Sanchez and Lukaku were left beyond the halfway line. That is the definition of inviting oressure onto us. When you invite pressure you concede, that’s not rocket science, so yes, his subs were wrong.

EDIT: To add to this, Sanchez does far less defensive work than Martial, so even from a defensive POV it doesn’t make sense.

Last edited:

Greck

Yep today's result doesn't do that much for us on the table. Should have a better idea by the end of the week but presently we still need to make up those losses/draws against smaller sides with wins not draws. We're 4 points out of top 4 and everyone has a game in hand

E-mal

If anyone wants him out after today's result, give your head a wobble.
Give your own head a wobble. We are a reactive team in constitution and when we attempt to attack we look far better. That is on the manager.

R'hllor

In response to someone before saying he wants him out right in the aftermath of this result. I'm saying there's nothing more he could have done today.
Are you freaking kidding me!? Who made those subs? The moment we took a lead he just did what he is done few times as United manager, Matic stayed whole 96min. the amount of times he could cost us while moving like oil tanker, Lukaku stayed full 96 min. , while he subbed some other players, come on.

Drifter

American
Here's the incident

On the way back

Going by the number of annoyed faces, I think Marco Ianni did or yelled some sort of provocation on the way back as well.
Glad the Steward stopped him there or we could have been talking about a season ban.

BlahRules

Not later Fergie. It seems some fans have selectively erased all of those memories of us holding on for dear life at the end of games under SAF later in his career.
Fergie’s last season was not boring! You have to take in to account he didn’t even have a midfield to dominate matches, what he did was take advantage of our wing play and counter with his immense defence.
I can bet my life he would have had played amazing football again. He was changing his football style, the acquisition of Kagawa shows which direction he is going.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
He's already got a squad with one of the highest wage bills in world football - he should be delivering with what he has, and if he isn't managing to do so then that's of his own doing.
I doubt our defenders are on big wages. It is case of quantity over quality. We do have too many CBs and our constant injury concerns mean we end up using many of them so we are hesitant to get rid. We can add at least one top quality CB, get rid of Darmian, Young, Valencia and one of Jones and Rojo, Maybe keep one of TFM or Tuanzebe as backup.

haram

People are clueless if they think we completley abondoned our gameplan after being 1 goal down at half time.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Here's the incident

Initial provocation

On the way back

Looks like it's something in Italian. Darmian looks super pissed off.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
In normal circumstances you'd look at a draw against a title-contending team away from home as a solid and decent if not remarkable result, but the problem is that after our shambolic start to the season we're in a position where we can't reasonably afford to drop points on a regular basis at all if we want to have a decent season. Improved results against the likes of Wolves, West Ham etc would've given us more leeway in that regard.
True, but even with our start in mind, away at the Bridge wasnt really a must must win. If we were at OT then maybe. Its a good result.

LJJT

Great in the 2nd half today and vs Newcastle. The penny has dropped with him hopefully to stick with martial and Rashford, the players are playing for him. He’s bossed Chelsea in the end today we should have had all 3 points. I think we are getting close to being a real team again. Love the passion as the end

Cloud7

Here's the incident

Initial provocation

On the way back

That is completely out of line from that Chelsea guy. There’s no room for that in a game like this, in a moment like that. I can’t blame José for how he reacted at all.

Regalia

Mourinho outfoxed Sarri today. Just wish he had the players to take it all the way. 30 secs away from it being a success.

The armchair managers moaning about the subs are hilarious.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
There were a lot of positives from today’s game. Hopefully we keep improving and move upward. A draw away to Chelsea is usually a good result but it’s normal to be disappointed considering the circumstances.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I doubt our defenders are on big wages. It is case of quantity over quality. We do have too many CBs and our constant injury concerns mean we end up using many of them so we are hesitant to get rid. We can add at least one top quality CB, get rid of Darmian, Young, Valencia and one of Jones and Rojo, Maybe keep one of TFM or Tuanzebe as backup.
Our squad as a whole are paid ridiculous sums considering what we've been getting out of them for the past few years. My general point is that Mourinho - at a minimum - should be able to mount a title challenge with what he has currently and if he can't then that's fully on him. It's alright to identify weaknesses in a squad and want to address them, but even without another new CB we shouldn't be conceding at a rate of almost two goals per game, especially under a manager famed for his ability to craft a quality defence. To highlight how stark an issue it is we've already conceded more this season than Jose's Chelsea did throughout the entirety of the 2004-05 season.

IppoKun

Supports
Benfica
I wonder if people here even watch the game at all, Martial before being subbed barely could run, the guy was tired as feck. Rashford couldn't even get up anymore!

Mourinho had to do the subs, they couldn't go on the rest of the game. Nothing wrong with it.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
True, but even with our start in mind, away at the Bridge wasnt really a must must win. If we were at OT then maybe. Its a good result.
It depends on what your expectations are for the season, but with how the top five teams are currently playing we really can't afford to be dropping points at all. We've got City and Liverpool away over the next two months - ideally a point would be fine in both games, but we've already dropped too many points to now not be looking at them as must-wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.