The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

klsv

Also, there are already is a candidate that would be able to replace - Jardim.
Finally! 305 pages and finally we have a candidate to replace Jose instead of saying the same thing over and over again. How does Jardim play? Is he attacking? What's his record with the youths? How do you think he'd set up our current side and who do you think he'd look to buy in January and in the summer?

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Madrid at least now can give the boot to their flop manager, in order to avoid an awful season, with (once again) the ChL as the season's goal.

But we are stuck with Mou, that means a "life support season": a victory just in time to avoid the sack, then another victory, then a decent draw, then a "oh, what a pity" defeat, then another victory, Round of 16, chances of making the top4 still in April-May...but then nothing (5th-6th spot, trophyless...)

This season will be a big nothing, yet not awful.

Canagel

I don't see the point of this thread anymore. We've all made made our minds up both for and against. One game isn't going to change anything. Our season will follow this cycle and I've made peace with it. Maybe 2 or 3 wins then a disappointing defeat and then a draw rinse and repeat. What we need is a run of consecutive victories but it's never happened under mourinho and there's nothing to suggest things will be any different in this season.
We're stuck with him until the top 4 is mathematically impossible.

Kapardin

Madrid at least now can give the boot to their flop manager, in order to avoid an awful season, with (once again) the ChL as the season's goal.

But we are stuck with Mou, that means a "life support season": a victory just in time to avoid the sack, then another victory, then a decent draw, then a "oh, what a pity" defeat, then another victory, Round of 16, chances of making the top4 still in April-May...but then nothing (5th-6th spot, trophyless...)

This season will be a big nothing, yet not awful.
This is why Ed needs to be removed from footballing duties. Not because he hasn't backed the managers, but because he doesn't sack the managers when required.

CA1

Mourinho to Madrid.

CL winner in May.

3 fingers up to signal 3 CL wins :cool:

The Caf is pondering whether Eddie Howe or Laurent Blanc should take over after Jardim's nightmare short stint.

ash_86

My point is every time he’s back in peoples good books we want to watch if he’s tracking back. Bring up all the extra training and instructions he must be taking on from Mourinho when the simple truth is he’s just playing. He got player of the month a couple times last season because we played him. He will get player of the month for October because shock horror we played him. It’s that simple.
This is Martial's third season under Mourinho and there have been quite numerous times Martial had won MOTM and i cannot recollect a single time Jose has said that Martial is playing the way he'd like except now. So just playing does not cut it for Martial with Mourinho. In the post match Jose's words specifically said he would have been happy with Martial performance even if he hadn't scored. That shows that there is a change in the stance with Martial. My understanding is that Martial is understanding what he needs to do to keep his place and he knows that playing on just one half of the pitch is not gonna cut it for him.

Farfetched

I am trying to imagine the contract renegotiations that went on between Woody and José when they agreed on an extension to his contract; because however it was they do appear to be on completely different recruitment strategies.
Perhaps it went like this! Woody ‘right José we going to offer you a longer contract, what’s your plans for the squad?’. José, ‘ok Woody I am going to want at least five new players each transfer window, they must be at least six feet tall and no younger than 29 years old’. Woody ‘sorry José I think we should only get a couple of players in each window, I mean why five each window?’ José ‘that’s easy, some I won’t like after a week or two and won’t play again, some won’t be good enough and I won’t play them again and the rest I will fall out with and never play them!’ Woody ‘well José that just won’t work, anyway here’s your contract extension, right on to the next business partner sponsorship deal’
As the great man said "It's not the right man for the right woman,"

Siorac

You make the point of Everton being crap. I assure you, Everton are a decent side and not as bad as you are making out.
Against Juve, who are arguably favourites to the CL, we lost 1-0 and not the huge margin which many people expected. Jose simply wanted to keep the damage to a minimum in that game as he is positioning us to be in 2nd place in our group. Everything is going according to plan.
Before that we played CFC, who many believe are the best team in the league - they got very lucky to get a draw against us. Not many, if any team (who has played them this season) can say that.
Before that it was Newcastle. We played badly in the first half, but made amends in the 2nd half, scoring 3 goals and conceding nothing. I loved that match and not many teams in the league could make a comeback like we did.

I understand that you don't like Jose. I get that. But give credit where credit is due.

This idea that if Jose leaves, everything will be sunshine and roses and that we shall waltz to the league title, is false.
Until we have a credible candidate to replace him, there is no point in him leaving. I beleive ZZ has already said that he won't manage this season and Poch (who a lot of people like), will be staying at Spurs this season.
And for those who say that Carrick should take over for the rest of the season - that'll be an unmitigated disaster. Giving one of the biggest jobs in football to a complete noob, who was a player last season, would be irresponsible.
Spinning "we only lost 1-0 at home with a desperate performance" into a positive is worthy of the best propaganda experts. That we should GIVE CREDIT for that is insane.

Also, nobody thinks Chelsea are the best team in the league.

the chameleon

Finally! 305 pages and finally we have a candidate to replace Jose instead of saying the same thing over and over again. How does Jardim play? Is he attacking? What's his record with the youths? How do you think he'd set up our current side and who do you think he'd look to buy in January and in the summer?
He's capable of playing attacking but is adaptable. See his Monaco sides. He would make use of Martial and Rashford much better. I think Greenwood's development would be more suited with Jardim (look what he did with Mbappe). He's been great at developing young talent Ligue 1. I'm not sure who he would buy, but he would make better use of our current resources.

Hawks2008

I don't see the point of this thread anymore. We've all made made our minds up both for and against. One game isn't going to change anything. Our season will follow this cycle and I've made peace with it. Maybe 2 or 3 wins then a disappointing defeat and then a draw rinse and repeat. What we need is a run of consecutive victories but it's never happened under mourinho and there's nothing to suggest things will be any different in this season.
We're stuck with him until the top 4 is mathematically impossible.
The difference between a club with ambitions and one content with the bare minimum. If only our board could be as ruthless.

Water Melon

Mou will be gone at the end of the season at latest. We do not need him, he does not need us unless we pay him out the rest of his contract. Hopefully, Woody is looking for a replacement already and doing his homework diligently. We do not have a super dominant team in the prem, so should be well in the mix for the title race.

fellaini's barber

Madrid have sacked a manager after a few months without even giving him a chance to do the whole 'get his own players' thing we do. If we did that @CA1 and @Reddy Rederson would have opened 5 anti Woodward/Glazer blaming threads.
Hope Woodward is taking note. If there's one thing I want him fired for is leaving incompetent managers for way too long.

fellaini's barber

Mourinho to Madrid.

CL winner in May.

The Caf is pondering whether Eddie Howe or Laurent Blanc should take over after Jardim's nightmare short stint.
Or he could get sacked in at the end of the season for falling out with the whole squad playing crap and hopefully you'll be in some Madrid forum hopelessly trying to wum them saying it's all Perez's fault and should be sacked cos he is ruining the club

Reddy Rederson

Madrid have sacked a manager after a few months without even giving him a chance to do the whole 'get his own players' thing we do. If we did that @CA1 and @Reddy Rederson would have opened 5 anti Woodward/Glazer blaming threads.
Hope Woodward is taking note. If there's one thing I want him fired for is leaving incompetent managers for way too long.
You know me so well. :rolleyes:

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
This is stupid. You know things happen that the club won't confirm publicly. If you've no interest that's your deal. You can wait for the club website to tell you what they want you to believe.

Others who are interested in the club will take heed of the huge amount of information available. Manager quotes, player agent quotes, journalists, team selections, former players etc. Some things the papers say are true, others are obvious nonsense. If you aren't braindead you can actually get a decent idea of the difference. Mourinho himself has given us several direct insights into his relationship with Martial for instance. Those with the ability to take these on board will be better placed to judge these stories.

Those who lack that capacity will be better off not reading anything because you can't tell the difference and end up saying "it's those newspapers lied to me again innit" If that's your situation so be it. But stop this nonsense about "facts" and verified sources etc.
Lots of "facts" get quoted on the caf with no real back up or source, apart from newspaper chat and some obscure reading of a managers/players quotes. It should be perfectly fair to question to them, unless of course you want to live in a post fact world and just believe stories/rumours that back up your narrative or opinion. But I am glad to see your "better placed" to judge these than others.

Asking for facts and sources is not nonsense.

haram

You have world class players across the whole pitch at Real, there's a difference. But yes, the board did feck the manager over by not even replacing Ronaldo anyway.

SteveW

Lots of "facts" get quoted on the caf with no real back up or source, apart from newspaper chat and some obscure reading of a managers/players quotes. It should be perfectly fair to question to them, unless of course you want to live in a post fact world and just believe stories/rumours that back up your narrative or opinion. But I am glad to see your "better placed" to judge these than others.

Asking for facts and sources is not nonsense.
Flat out dismissing everything you hear unless confirmed by the club is absolutely nonsense. This is what I was responding to. 90% of what would happen behind the scenes would never be confirmed by the club. If you had read the conversation you would understand that I wasn't taking anything as fact but taking the understanding that some things were far more plausible than others based on the what we do know.

In this instance we have a situation where Jose has in many peoples opinion treated the player much more harshly than others based on performances, is on record as saying Martial has a personality that's not the type he typically likes in a player, has tried to shoehorn Rashford into his position, has had several public attempts to sign other players to play in his position finally succeeding in signing Sanchez, and said himself that he was happy to let the player leave. This is NOT the behaviour of a manager that wants to keep a player. I can't confirm specifics of him trying to swap him for William but there are several instances of him admitting he'd love to sign Willian while also saying he's open to selling Martial.

So I think we have enough to suggest that if Jose had his way it's likely that Martial would not be here and someone like Willian, Peresic or a defender would be here instead. But fine, since the club haven't confirmed it you can pretend there's nothing in it. That's your business.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Oh well, resorting to insults. I guess thats the limit of your belief in your argument. Im just gonna pop you on ignore now, as thats type of thing can only go to bad places. You take care, and try not to believe everything spotify tells you.
Only if you cant read english at basic level.
You can be obtuse without being a hypocrite.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Flat out dismissing everything you hear unless confirmed by the club is absolutely nonsense. This is what I was responding to. 90% of what would happen behind the scenes would never be confirmed by the club. If you had read the conversation you would understand that I wasn't taking anything as fact but taking the understanding that some things were far more plausible than others based on the what we do know.

In this instance we have a situation where Jose has in many peoples opinion treated the player much more harshly than others based on performances, is on record as saying Martial has a personality that's not the type he typically likes in a player, has tried to shoehorn Rashford into his position, has had several public attempts to sign other players to play in his position finally succeeding in signing Sanchez, and said himself that he was happy to let the player leave. This is NOT the behaviour of a manager that wants to keep a player. I can't confirm specifics of him trying to swap him for William but there are several instances of him admitting he'd love to sign Willian while also saying he's open to selling Martial.

So I think we have enough to suggest that if Jose had his way it's likely that Martial would not be here and someone like Willian, Peresic or a defender would be here instead. But fine, since the club haven't confirmed it you can pretend there's nothing in it. That's your business.
Don't disagree with any of this, but it is an opinion, one we share.

But the original poster was not "Flat out dismissing everything you hear unless confirmed by the club" he/she was questioning what the source was, which should be encouraged.

My post was calling you out for suggesting people dismiss searching for facts and verified sources, and suggesting you were better placed to read what was going on at the club than some others. People should always question where the information they are reading as true has come from.

ErranMorad

In my opinion, Marotta would be the single most important signing United would have done since SAF's retired. We should throw all the money in trying to get him. In fact, Inter are ready to swallow their pride to try and sign him themselves. That comes with Moratti's blessing who basically loves Juventus as much as SAF loves Liverpool.

The thing is that a top quality football CEO is more then a man who understand football. He's got contacts which means he'll bring in the right staff with him. For example Marotta was the man who brought Paratici in. He's also good to quickly offload deadwood and to work concurrently on many signings at a time. Juventus tend to make around 6-7 signings a year and they tend to move so swiftly in the market that there's barely any competition for their signings. He's also got this sneaky way of convincing players to sign with them before the deal is actually concluded. That means that the club in question will either let the player leave to Juventus for cheap or else risk losing him for free the year after/see his performance nosedive. We've seen that happening with Pogba during SAF's time and I suspect that they already have everything cooked up for SMS.
Thanks for your reply.

That sounds exactly like someone we need and that is exactly why we won't appoint him. I think Eddy likes being the boss and this sounds a job parallel to Eddy's not as his subordinate. Morons like Eddy don't give up their position so easily and have an almost delusional belief in themselves.

Last edited:

Eddy_JukeZ

Mourinho to Madrid.

CL winner in May.

:lol:

Mourinho is not winning the CL anytime soon.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
In my opinion, Marotta would be the single most important signing United would have done since SAF's retired. We should throw all the money in trying to get him. In fact, Inter are ready to swallow their pride to try and sign him themselves. That comes with Moratti's blessing who basically loves Juventus as much as SAF loves Liverpool.

The thing is that a top quality football CEO is more then a man who understand football. He's got contacts which means he'll bring in the right staff with him. For example Marotta was the man who brought Paratici in. He's also good to quickly offload deadwood and to work concurrently on many signings at a time. Juventus tend to make around 6-7 signings a year and they tend to move so swiftly in the market that there's barely any competition for their signings. He's also got this sneaky way of convincing players to sign with them before the deal is actually concluded. That means that the club in question will either let the player leave to Juventus for cheap or else risk losing him for free the year after/see his performance nosedive. We've seen that happening with Pogba during SAF's time and I suspect that they already have everything cooked up for SMS.
Moratta, would be coming I .to replace Ed Woodward. I can't see that happening. My understanding is we are after a DoF. That would be a demotion for Moratta.

smallred

100% he should stay. he has made some errors with his mouth but overall, im 100% behind him.

this mess we are in, is due to the club and the board and especiallly Mr Woodward.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Moratta, would be coming I .to replace Ed Woodward. I can't see that happening. My understanding is we are after a DoF. That would be a demotion for Moratta.
Not really. Moratta could become joint CEO catering at the football side of things. Woody on the other hand will cater for the financial side (sponsors, debt etc). Its similar to how Juve work with Agnelli and himself

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Thanks for your reply.

That sounds exactly like someone we need and that is exactly why we won't appoint him. I think Eddy likes being the boss and this sounds a job parallel to Eddy's not as his subordinate. Morons like Eddy don't give up their position so easily and have an almost delusional belief in themselves.
Well sooner or later the owners will be asking why we are spending so much money with little results and why every manager we get seems to be a bad fit for us. Its wise for woody to focus on what he knows best and leave the football side to those who understand it

Greek9

Supports
Panathinaikos
He will stay for at least 4 more years which will make the lot of you but they, and I'll be happy.

Dennis Viollet

The reverse .Rossi
Solari temporarily at Madrid it means (imho) that Florentino wants Mou for the next year. Could Antonio Conte be our new manager next year? Seems reasonable to me. We'll see.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Are you talking about Jose or Donald Trump?
There is a debate going on inside my head as to which scenario is worse, 4 more years of Jose or 4 more years of Trump.

The idea of both staying on in their respective positions for a further 4 years is inconceivable.

Greek9

Supports
Panathinaikos
There is a debate going on inside my head as to which scenario is worse, 4 more years of Jose or 4 more years of Trump.

The idea of both staying on in their respective positions for a further 4 years is inconceivable.
Maybe you should think about the probability of the next coach failing miserably and bringing you back to Moyes era, but no everything is just perfect in your minds and the next coach will miraculously fix everything wrong with this squad, I tell you what you are just as likely to be devastated with the next coach if not more, considering the last 3 coaches haven't succeeded yet there seems to be a bigger problem with the board and the overhaul the set of players needed rather than the coach's position.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Maybe you should think about the probability of the next coach failing miserably and bringing you back to Moyes era, but no everything is just perfect in your minds and the next coach will miraculously fix everything wrong with this squad, I tell you what you are just as likely to be devastated with the next coach if not more, considering the last 3 coaches haven't succeeded yet there seems to be a bigger problem with the board and the overhaul the set of players needed rather than the coach's position.
I'm fairly certain that no one on planet earth believes that.

The only guarantee in football and life in general is that there are no guarantees, save one, if Jose remains manager of our club for a further 4 years, the universe will implode.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Solari temporarily at Madrid it means (imho) that Florentino wants Mou for the next year. Could Antonio Conte be our new manager next year? Seems reasonable to me. We'll see.
That I can't tell who I'd rather have, Mourinho or Conte, shows how much I don't want Conte.

CA1

That I can't tell who I'd rather have, Mourinho or Conte, shows how much I don't want Conte.
Two of the last 4 PL winning managers.

Hard choice but yeah lets go for Eddie Howe...

Alabaster Codify7

Conte would be such a short-term decision that it will definitely happen. Our board will see him as another steady hand with experience and his rather defensive mindset will mean there won't be a huge shift for our players........in other words, exactly what we don't want.

Status
Not open for further replies.