The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveFootball

It's easier to compete with 1 team than to compete with 5, one of them is owned by a whole country, not to mention, Madrid is far more prestigious as a job than any English job will ever be, only top reds will disagree on that. Madrid is the pinnacle of football. That's not to get into how their squad is just better and only needs 1 or 2 attackers up front, and more settled too.

If everyone in this thread, you yourself included were offered to choose 1 of these 2 jobs you'll choose Madrid 9 times out of 10. Let's not delude ourselves.
The financial advantage Madrid had is over now, it's not possible for them to get all the best players as they are now competing with more than 1 team like before; today they have to outspend the like of PSG, City, United and not only Barca to get their players, there are already players who have turned them down for other clubs (Mbappe, Pogba, Neymar, Falcao). Football has changed and is still changing. In the past many players would have chose Madrid because they were the one offering more money, the prestige thing was possible because of the huge wages and fees they could afford but this is no more the case. Pochettinho for one is a recent example of a manager who turned them down. Madrid will struggle for the next few years like many other teams.

Without money there's no prestige. United got the like of Di Maria and Pogba without even CL football to show.

el3mel

The financial advantage Madrid had is over now, it's not possible for them to get all the best players as they are now competing with more than 1 team like before; today they have to outspend the like of PSG, City, United and not only Barca to get their players, there are already players who have turned them down for other clubs (Mbappe, Pogba, Neymar, Falcao). Football has changed and is still changing. In the past many players would have chose Madrid because they were the one offering more money, the prestige thing was possible because of the huge wages and fees they could afford but this is no more the case. Pochettinho for one is a recent example of a manager who turned them down. Madrid will struggle for the next few years like many other teams.

Without many there's no prestige. United got the like of Di Maria and Pogba without even CL football to show.
I don't remember talking about their financial advantage, in fact that makes you favor choosing Madrid job more as I said, they're competing with 1 team with same financial budget as them than competing with 5 one of them having oil money. Worst season for Madrid is to finish 2nd or 3rd and got eliminated from QF in CL, while in United if we go on and buy 5 new players this summer there's still pretty good chance we'll finish 3rd or 4th at best thanks to the strong competition and fact that you have 5 other big teams strengthening and signing big players as well, and all aiming for league title. Zero guarantee for success, in fact zero guarantee for top 4 itself whatever you do, unlike in Spain. Look at Chelsea, after all this drooling over Sarri there's still a pretty good chance they're going to miss on top 4, currently 4th only thanks to GD.

United had been a great job when SAF retired, league champions, way ahead of the others and dominating the country. Now it's just a poison chalice. No manager can be confident about succeeding here for various reasons, strength of the league and number of teams competing are on top of it, unless you're going to decrease the expectation to top 4 finish and unique league titles every some years. Nothing guaranteed. In Spain you know what you're getting with Madrid at least.

The only job I'll say it's a dream in England now is City, otherwise, they're all equal and nothing in them make you take them over Madrid if you're offered Madrid job.

Oh and Madrid aren't going to struggle any time soon. One top goal scorer and they'll back again in no time.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
:lol:

No but seriously at the exception of a couple of lame sources claiming that Mourinho was thinking about resigning(I think that I saw a title from the Daily Star). I don't think that there has been any solid rumours that would lead to an official comment from Mendes.
I don't think Mourinho would ever resign, he'd see it as letting the press/players/doubters get the best of him. He will have to either be fired or simply play out his contract. I just can't see it any other way.

LoveFootball

I don't remember talking about their financial advantage, in fact that makes you favor choosing Madrid job more as I said, they're competing with 1 team with same financial budget as them than competing with 5 one of them having oil money. Worst season for Madrid is to finish 2nd or 3rd and got eliminated from QF in CL, while in United if we go on and buy 5 new players this summer there's still pretty good chance we'll finish 3rd or 4th at best thanks to the strong competition and fact that you have 5 other big teams strengthening and signing big players as well, and all aiming for league title. Zero guarantee for success, in fact zero guarantee for top 4 itself whatever you do, unlike in Spain. Look at Chelsea, after all this drooling over Sarri there's still a pretty good chance they're going to miss on top 4, currently 4th only thanks to GD.

United had been a great job when SAF retired, league champions, way ahead of the others and dominating the country. Now it's just a poison chalice. No manager can be confident about succeeding here for various reasons, strength of the league and number of teams competing are on top of it, unless you're going to decrease the expectation to top 4 finish and unique league titles every some years. Nothing guaranteed. In Spain you know what you're getting with Madrid at least.

The only job I'll say it's a dream in England now is City, otherwise, they're all equal and nothing in them make you take them over Madrid if you're offered Madrid job.

Oh and Madrid aren't going to struggle any time soon. One top goal scorer and they'll back again in no time.
Last time I checked their league table they were 5th and there's a big chance they miss on top 4; I don't remember them being in the same state for the last 20 years. Before Mourinho they didn't have great players but were still able to challenge for the title but this season they are struggling, that's because they are no longer in a position to always strengthening their team with the best players because now best players are spread around many clubs.

United are still able to outspend everyone bar City, I don't know what you're talking about here. United struggles are due to bad choice of managers, nothing to do with money. Last season when Mourinho did a semblance of job, we easily got 2nd behind a super City team coaching by one of the best coach around; this season we're struggling because our idiot of manager tried to prove a point and is now showing his incompetence. With a proper manager and with our financial muscles I bet my house that we can give a good challenge for the league. We're not a poison chalice, don't let LVG and Mourinho's incompetence fool you.

Madrid may comeback to challenge in their league, but they'll no longer be a safe bet for the first 3 places. They may find a good goal scorer but they'll no longer have an easy ride; they may even lose their target to other clubs like United, City and PSG.

Dolf

This deserves its own thread if you ask me.
Bit of a dick move by Mendes if the club or Jose didn't know. Not sure what it would add too. It's not like we can't fire him anymore after this statement.

fellaini's barber

And it will take someone who doesn't care much about his career to take United job, with slime to no chances of competing on big trophies for some years, a squad with so many holes and in a league with 5 other rivals. At least Madrid has 1 rival in Spain, and with a good attacking signing they can very well return to where they were the previous 2 seasons.
I disagree, Liverpool are challenging for top honours having been in a worse state than ours before Klopp who has spent less money than Jose . This thing about clubs being in such a bad state that they need years to get competitve again is never really true and has been disproved time and time again,especially with big clubs like ours. A good manager who knows what the hell he's doing will get us challenging after one good window. The difference between us and City as far as I'm concerned is not money, they just buy players that work out well for them while we've spent the last 5 years buying duds under 2 crap managers. A good manager with our level of financial backing will put us back on track immediately

minoo-utd

Oh don't say the board is happy with him or with where we are. I don't even want to think about if they are remotely happy.

dove

Are we really to believe that the board are 'happy' with Jose Mourinho's management of the club?
Absolutely no way our management is happy with Jose. As clueless as they are, they are surely not that stupid.

Siorac

I disagree, Liverpool are challenging for top honours having been in a worse state than ours before Klopp who has spent less money than Jose . This thing about clubs being in such a bad state that they need years to get competitve again is never really true and has been disproved time and time again,especially with big clubs like ours. A good manager who knows what the hell he's doing will get us challenging after one good window. The difference between us and City as far as I'm concerned is not money, they just buy players that work out well for them while we've spent the last 5 years buying duds under 2 crap managers. A good manager with our level of financial backing will put us back on track immediately
Hell, City needed only three years from their takeover to win the league (I know they were taken over in 2008 but that was on the last day of the transfer window).

el3mel

Last time I checked their league table they were 5th and there's a big chance they miss on top 4; I don't remember them being in the same state for the last 20 years. Before Mourinho they didn't have great players but were still able to challenge for the title but this season they are struggling, that's because they are no longer in a position to always strengthening their team with the best players because now best players are spread around many clubs.

United are still able to outspend everyone bar City, I don't know what you're talking about here. United struggles are due to bad choice of managers, nothing to do with money. Last season when Mourinho did a semblance of job, we easily got 2nd behind a super City team coaching by one of the best coach around; this season we're struggling because our idiot of manager tried to prove a point and is now showing his incompetence. With a proper manager and with our financial muscles I bet my house that we can give a good challenge for the league. We're not a poison chalice, don't let LVG and Mourinho's incompetence fool you.

Madrid may comeback to challenge in their league, but they'll no longer be a safe bet for the first 3 places. They may find a good goal scorer but they'll no longer have an easy ride; they may even lose their target to other clubs like United, City and PSG.
Madrid are 5 points away from the top.

We're not actually over spending anyone anymore. Liverpool and Chelsea have been spending as much as us or even more the last 2 years. We're not richer than anyone. I don't get from when this claim has been. All clubs around us have loads of money to spend thanks to the annual TV money alone. It's just up to any club to spend or not, not that they don't have money to spend. Our financial "power" is heavily overrated thanks to some idiotic comments from Woodward some years ago.

And finally, we got second with 19 points away from the top. We weren't challenging for the league. The point is still on, you can't guarantee any success here or at any English team otherwise you have to be deluded. It's not just us being shite it's thanks to the competitive state of the league and that all teams around you are at the same time. Again, look at Sarri, great manager and they are having a good season and there's a big chance they're going to miss top 4 with Arsenal on their trail. Even if we go on and buy 5 players this summer, the rest of the teams are going to buy and improve their squads as much as yours and you can't guarantee you're going to do better than them.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I've never seen an agent coming out with such a statement. I wonder what's happened behind the scenes?

Claiming the club are happy with him:lol: Honestly, Mendes and Jose are bloody extra. Can't wait for the soap opera to end. Pity Mendes is also De Gea's agent as I don't want us to have anything to do with him or Riaola again.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Of course the board is not happy.
That is the statement from an agent that knows his client is sinking.
The way you say that is interesting. Do you think that the agent did it after consulting his client or he did it autonomously?

RedNed77

Mendes: Ed, the situation is becoming grim
Ed:...
Mendes: You need to announce Jose has your full support and the boards full confidence
Mendes: If you wont I will

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
Ed should just leak to his usual journo that the board didn't say they are happy and that they are currently assessing how our season is going.

Let the shit flinging begin.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Do you really believe this shite? Everyone know that United aren't happy with how things are going. Having said that Mou would only leave if he's given his 20m and the club isn't willing to get him off the hook. He'll stay at United up until we're out of the CL zone and he'll get fired.

RedorDead21

I've changed my mind lads. I want us to support Jose 100%. Every player that drops effort. I want to give him free reign to fire out the door. Call me insane. I've had a drink and I'm sick to the stomach of players thinking thats ok. I want to see the day no player comes here for big wages without knowing it comes with killing yourself for the cause. Jose or no Jose. I want that to be the known standard of the club. Huge payers for the men that can sacrifice themselves for the team. I love the romance of that. Come get me.........

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I've changed my mind lads. I want us to support Jose 100%. Every player that drops effort. I want to give him free reign to fire out the door. Call me insane. I've had a drink and I'm sick to the stomach of players thinking thats ok. I want to see the day no player comes here for big wages without knowing it comes with killing yourself for the cause. Jose or no Jose. I want that to be the known standard of the club. Huge payers for the men that can sacrifice themselves for the team. I love the romance of that. Come get me.........
You're insane.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The way you say that is interesting. Do you think that the agent did it after consulting his client or he did it autonomously?
I can't imagine it would be autonomous. But don't necessarily believe it was at Mourinho's request either.
Mourinho being seen to be running away looks bad on him. I think that's the narrative the want to fight again.

Status
Not open for further replies.