g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocknrolla69er

Mourinho has to go , who’s available to replace him and when will play a big factor, it wouldn’t surprise me mourinho seeing the season out then being told thanks but no thanks. I wouldn’t be surprised to see max allegri replace him if poch isn’t gettable.

We need a sporting director who match’s the clubs footballing philosophy who can build a team and have a long term strategy, to take Woodward’s footballing duties, then we need a coach who also match’s the clubs footballing philosophy and is happy to work alongside a sporting dir3ctor

Basically we lack brains and long term vision

The galactico, no risk defensively obsessed football has failed miserably

Last edited by a moderator:

jmaggio

Mourinho seems to be in a Cold War with Woodward. The result of this is that he has sacrificed Bailey and Rojo to prove that we don’t have options. And now somehow Free, who looks like a great CM option is becoming a victim do this charade. I’m so sick of this

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Wake up Woppit wake up.

I'm awake, and depressed in this real world.

I fecking hope not or we’ll be the next Leeds never mind Liverpool.

They already do.

You shouldn’t be on here if you’re actually a UTD fan and believe that shit.

Santoryo

ripping the reward

At about 3.30 he is asked about Lingard and Rashford looking to Sterling as an example and working to improve their finishing. His answer? Lingard and Rashford work very hard, but it's about their natural qualities.

I hate this guy.
This is especially weird when one considers that Sterling wasn't particularly a good finisher before Pep yet he's managed to improved that aspect of his game. An example of a non natural finisher who didn't have the ability but managed to improve with coaching is literally right there in the question yet he still managed to ignore that and pretend that it's impossible to improve with hard work.

buchansleftleg

His agent's statement is significant I think as he seems to be fighting the narrative that Jose is trying to leave.

The silence from the club is deafening and is the only positive to hang onto at the moment. Hopefully we are getting things lined up in the background to end this horror show before Christmas.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
The idea that you can't improve with practice is absurd, especially for someone in their early 20s.

You might not be able to turn Rashford into Romario or Lingard into Lampard (I'm talking about just finshing) bit they can both get better than they are.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Don't see anything wrong in this. For all his faults, Jose is right about those two, they aren't top quality.

Ok, maybe he was a bit brash to say that openly. But then, I'm sure the players are used to him throwing them under the bus by now, he's literally run out of players to criticize.
But you look at the likes of Sterling who couldn't hit a barn door before and now he's scoring plenty. Right there in the question there is already proof that players even without natural abilities can improve with hard work and proper coaching.

Jose's answer was just to try and deflect from the obvious fact that Pep has improved his players while Mourinho has failed miserably. For all his faults Rashford is still a more natural finisher than Sterling yet the latter currently seems to have better knack of it because he's been coached well the oast 3 years under Pep.

You can work hard and improve finishing. You can improve technique, shooting, finishing, heading from training. There are so many players who have improved. Jose being cnut shocker doesn't mean players cant improve by coaching.
And the example is right there in the question, Sterling.

Rashford is a more natural finisher than Sterling but currently when looking at the 2 of them Sterling looks miles ahead compared to Rashford. The past 3 years under Pep have done wonders for him. I think people have forgotten that Sterling couldn't hit a barn door prior to Pep(though his finishing can still be erratic even now but still miles better than where he was before Pep).

EwanI Ted

At about 3.30 he is asked about Lingard and Rashford looking to Sterling as an example and working to improve their finishing. His answer? Lingard and Rashford work very hard, but it's about their natural qualities.

I hate this guy.
This is the stuff I hate about Mourinho. The question was getting at whether he’s doing the right training with his players to help their finishing. His response is some bullshit (training won’t make you better) and a dig at his players (they lack quality) in order to defend his own training methods.

What do you think if you’re Rashford or Lingard and you hear that? That your manager thinks you’re not good enough, plainly. People wonder why the players don’t respond to his methods. Given he spends all his time telling us they’re not good enough, maybe they are listening to him and playing accordingly.

Drawfull

It's like The Simpsons' monorail episode.
Perfect analogy.
But you look at the likes of Sterling who couldn't hit a barn door before and now he's scoring plenty. Right there in the question there is already proof that players even without natural abilities can improve with hard work and proper coaching.
Indeed, and there are loads of examples of players having to practise and work harder to become what they are. Gary Neville, for one.

C'est Moi Cantona

The idea that you can't improve with practice is absurd, especially for someone in their early 20s.

You might not be able to turn Rashford into Romario or Lingard into Lampard (I'm talking about just finshing) bit they can both get better than they are.
Of course it's absurded, every skill in life is learnt, and once done so can be made better with practice, some will always have more natural speed, intelligence, etc, but a heck of a lot will always come down to the dertminstion to succeed, the willingness to devote your time to hone your skills, and crucially the skill of the person/people teaching you.

You've only got look at someone like David Beckam, he'd have been half the player if he was if he didn't devote so much time into striking the ball the way he did, and have the people around him to coach him.

Last edited:

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Another and better example is Ronaldo. When he just joined United he wasn't much of a good finisher and his game geared more toward tricks and such but he never displayed that much natural finishing ability.

But overtime he started working on his finishing and improved tremendously. Today you have him as one of the deadliest finisher in the game.

Mourinho talks are a bunch of nonsense and anyone lapping up that garbage should be considered on a wum.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Sterling's finishing was derided before Pep went to City. It was the poorest area of his game.
Mourinho is not a coach.

El Zoido

I hate this guy.
You’re the coach, Jose. You’re supposed to guide and improve your young players. Why are we paying this guy millions of pounds a year when he admits he’s incapable of doing his job?

Also can he go five minutes without making excuses for his failure? His £75m striker ain’t exactly doing the business either, whose fault is that? He gets right up my nose. Sick to death of him.

Fosu-Mens

Sterling's finishing was derided before Pep went to City. It was the poorest area of his game.
Mourinho is not a coach.
Clearly evident as none of our players have improved...
When we appoint a new manager he would need to have a trackrecord of improving players. By this i am not saying that the manager is the one solely responsible for the improvement, as it takes two to tango, but he would be the one responsible to create an environment(coaches, training, culture) for the players to strive and improve in. Pochettino and Howe are two good examples of this.

dove

I hate this guy.
:lol: Wow, I mean, WOW! If your manager says that no matter how hard you train you won't improve, it surely adds even more motivation to players... It's so obvious he wants to be sacked it's ridiculous. He used to say some shite similar to this from time to time but now he is doing it every opportunity he gets. Crazy how he is still at this job.

Jacob

Reading some of his quotes make me laugh. The guy has zero communication education.

Fosu-Mens

:lol: Wow, I mean, WOW! If your manager says that no matter how hard you train you won't improve, it surely adds even more motivation to players... It's so obvious he wants to be sacked it's ridiculous. He used to say some shite similar to this from time to time but now he is doing it every opportunity he gets. Crazy how he is still at this job.
JM has wanted to get the sack since the summer.

Even Lallana improve under Klopp - the guy couldn't hit a barn door when he arrived. I remember he was always missing chances, then the following season he improved immensely.

Water Melon

Reading some of his quotes make me laugh. The guy has zero communication education.
Doing his best to get the sack. Blaming everyone bar himself. He is a like a fecking troll that cost us hundreds of millions in loss. Unfeckingbelievable.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Which guys? Most of the players went out, but that was manager decision.

It didn't stop LVG from taking the job, like it didn't stop Jose from signing precontract while LVG was still here.
My point is that there was a coup against Moyes and those who did it, were kicked out by the new management soon afterwards. Managers might back stab one another but they do gang against anyone outside of their circle who try to hurt their fellow professionals. Hence why I believe our own players are careful, this time round, not to show that Mou had lost the dressing room and that's wise not to give Mou the excuse he's desperately needs to justify why he had failed.

This is how the club is probably seeing it. Access to top 4 is as good as gone and there aren't any options to replace him with. Therefore we might as well suck it up, give this moaner enough rope to hang his career with it and let him leave without those 20m severance pay he's desperately aiming to.

Honestly I would tweak it a bit by starting employing people that we desperately need now ie a top DOF (Berta? Emenalo?), a head of youths and experienced people as head of recruitment (Mitchell?). These people will provide us with valuable advice on who should replace Mourinho, it would provide the new manager with a list of viable transfers we can get quickly and good intel on our team's strengths and weaknesses. Considering Mou's experience with DOFs it might be the tipping point we need for him to leave early, sparing us the misery in the process.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Doing his best to get the sack. Blaming everyone bar himself. He is a like a fecking troll that cost us hundreds of millions in loss. Unfeckingbelievable.
That's pretty predictable TBH. Mou is a high tier manager which means he's used to being paid handsomely for his services. However his recent experience had been dire. He was kicked out from Real after underperforming, he was then hired by Chelsea only to be sacked after 2 years and he's now failing big time with us. Now football has a very short memory and recent failure will be remembered more then past success irrespective of the many fingers Mou keeps insisting in showing during games. Take Benitez as an example. At one point he wasLiverpool and Valencia legend getting top jobs with Inter and Real. Now he's a sports direct employee. Mou can easily end up into that same situation if somehow the disaster he'll be leaving us in (7th place after spending 400m) can be associated back to him. He can't afford that

Bugs Bunny

Supports
Manchester City
I believe the Yes vote is now the highest it’s ever been.
Disappoting if so.

I won't be changing my vote from 'no' ;-)

On a serious note, I don't see what Utd have got to gain by keeping him on any longer. Surely the compo if he gets the sack isn't really that much of an issue and every single minute he stays (like what occurred at Chelsea) just does your club more harm.

buchansleftleg

This is why he needs to go now, rather than at the end of the season.

Every statement is now aimed at protecting himself and he is throwing young players and the club in the line of fire to absolve himself.

I've no problem using that tactic against the press, other teams, other managers or the FA.

However when he directs that stuff internally he damages the club and if anyone here is a virus it is Jose.

Cut it out. Dowse it in bleach or burn it with fire, but, whatever you do, do it quickly before the whole body succumbs.

jumpedship

Supports
liverpool
Because he’ll get paid more, be able to pay his squad more and have more money to sign new players.

Three compelling reasons right there, even if you ignore the fact it’s a much more prestigious job to have on his CV than managing Spurs (which it is)
it didn't do much to enhance the CVs of Moyes, Van Gasl and Mourinho. I would think Man Utd is a high risk for someone who is already considered good enough for the big boys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Great stuff in the paper today, won't ever get near to City or Pool again until they stop spending.

You can't make this stuff up. He's making us sound like absolute paupers who don't have a chance!!
I'd imagine he'd explain the likes of Tottenham being comfortably higher without spending a penny as being down to his incredible management last year holding us above them against all odds!!

Greck

What happened to his man management? These days all it takes to make him throw a player under the bus is a reporter questioning his methods. It's like a child in self-preservation mode. That third season meltdown thing was no joke. He really can't maintain decorum longer than 2 years before his personality sours

Kapardin

Great stuff in the paper today, won't ever get near to City or Pool again until they stop spending.

You can't make this stuff up. He's making us sound like absolute paupers who don't have a chance!!
I'd imagine he'd explain the likes of Tottenham being comfortably higher without spending a penny as being down to his incredible management last year holding us above them against all odds!!
In a way, him being this way benefits us. Firstly, it puts the spotlight on Woodward and the Glazers, whose incompetence exceeds even Mourinho. If it makes them the target of criticism, I'm all for it.

Secondly, it would also make them want to part with Mourinho pretty quick, as I don't think they like being called out for their lack of support.

I would sympathize with Mourinho if it wasn't for the fact that his targets are often underwhelming and I don't think we would do a whole lot better even if we signed Toby and Willian -- probably a couple of places above our current league position, and both would likely decline the Matic way next season.

spiriticon

I wish he'd stop moaning about the quality of our players. The few players we have with any real quality are wanting to get the feck out the club ASAP or refusing to sign a new contract under his stellar leadership. So our overall quality is going to go down, not up.

Soon enough the only players who want to stay are those who are average at best, so he'd better find a way of getting the best out of these 'shit players' fast if he is serious about being a United manager for longer than a few more months.

Less media talk, more football coaching.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

Which in itself, destroys his own argument, by admitting that good management actually can make a huge difference.

Basically most of the arguments those still on his side are desperately clawing at (He did so well last year because he was motivated, Fergie kept us from imploding under the Glazers, etc) are inadvertently arguments for a new manager, or at least completely incompatible with the whole “it wouldn’t matter who was in charge” guff, because at this point, almost nothing isn’t!

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Another pathetic press conference from Mourinho.

He’s talking absolute bollocks. The very best strikers have a natural instinct to be in the right place at the right time (see Lineker, Owen, RVN). It’s that natural instinct that can’t be trained. You’ve either got it or you haven’t.

But all other aspects of finishing can be trained though. Good coaches will improve a players striking of the ball, when to make runs and what to do in any given scenario when bearing down on goal etc.

Excuse after excuse after excuse from Mourinho and I’m sick to death of it.

Mick321

He's an absolute scumbag, the sooner he's out of here and rinsing cash from some other mugs the better. The worst manager we have ever had.

Anyone who chants his name at matches is also part of the problem, he's a disease that's destroying this club.

ErranMorad

The cheek of the man who for a decade called Wenger a failure to now give excuses & say that we can only win a title if City are hit with ffp..

Absolute fecking pathetic little vermin.

But....somehow still here!

Greck

In a way, him being this way benefits us. Firstly, it puts the spotlight on Woodward and the Glazers, whose incompetence exceeds even Mourinho. If it makes them the target of criticism, I'm all for it.

Secondly, it would also make them want to part with Mourinho pretty quick, as I don't think they like being called out for their lack of support.

I would sympathize with Mourinho if it wasn't for the fact that his targets are often underwhelming and I don't think we would do a whole lot better even if we signed Toby and Willian -- probably a couple of places above our current league position, and both would likely decline the Matic way next season.
That and the massive sense of entitlement he has when his big money signings flop and he almost immediately comes back demanding more to replace them. If LVG knew this was all it took he should have spent his final season antagonzing the board for money to replace Darmian, Depay and Co. I'm sure he'd amass a sizable portion of fans saying he hadn't been backed and it was the board's fault he failed

Red00012

He's an absolute scumbag, the sooner he's out of here and rinsing cash from some other mugs the better. The worst manager we have ever had.

Anyone who chants his name at matches is also part of the problem, he's a disease that's destroying this club.
To be fair I haven’t heard that song in awhile.

Canagel

The biggest spender in football history complaining about other clubs buying players. Desperate stuff from the Portuguese Pulis

Status
Not open for further replies.