The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unitedssss

He needs to go, we've gave him time and the money to create something big.

When you watch the game against West Ham, we didn't look into it. We weren't playing as a team and even when we scored there was no passion in anybody's faces, they're playing as if it is their jobs, not their love.
Another example is West Ham's third goal, when Arnautović scored their third goal our defenders didn't even bother pressuring him. Leaving it all up to De Gea to save it, he's not invincible

I would prefer Zidane over Mourinho any day of the week.

Mou out.

RedDevil@84

I do not see anyone claiming that everything else is hunky dory. But the manager is currently the biggest open bleeding wound that must be stanched first, and it makes no sense to blame his travails on everyone else except himself. And indeed the players are better than they look under him.
Pointing out other problems at the club does not mean blaming his travails on everyone else.

midnightmare

In management terms, the sacking of Jose is a “quick win”. High impact, easy to implement in a short time. Sure, there are deeper issues that’ll need fixing but those can’t be done instantaneously. Sacking Jose though is the best start we could make.

Will give the whole atmosphere a lift too. Getting in Zidane (or whoever else) now will also give us time to not only do what best we can this season but assess what is needed in the summer.

The United

People do like to talk about the deeper issues. I mean what issues...that are preventing us from being a good team again? Look at teams around. Every big teams have issues from top to bottom.

But, somehow, we are the only one who is struggling to get CL football almost every other season since SAF retired. I just think the board going for 'safe' managers to 'stabilize the ship' is the main issue instead of being brave and go for up and coming managers who will have similar ideology like the club and let them have a go at it.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
The fact he still hasn’t gone yet after this weekend tells you all you need to know about the stewardship of this club. At any other big club worth it’s salt - the manager would have a) had the self respect to have walked or b) been shown the door immediately. This will sadly drag on until we’re out of the running of all trophies and the seasons a complete write off. It’s actually disgusting tbh if that is allowed to happen. We’re good enough to get top 4 if we take the squad at face value.

midnightmare

People do like to talk about the deeper issues. I mean what issues...that are preventing us from being a good team again? Look at teams around. Every big teams have issues from top to bottom.

But, somehow, we are the only one who is struggling to get CL football almost every other season since SAF retired. I just think the board going for 'safe' managers to 'stabilize the ship' is the main issue instead of being brave and go for up and coming managers.
"Deeper issues" pertain to a sustained longer-term vision of how the team runs and plays. This outlives the manager and spans for eras. It defines the transfer philosophy as well as the managers you bring in and ensures that transfer spends and wages are not suddenly made redundant wastes when you swap managers. We went from LvG (possession-football) to Jose (counter-attacking with solid defence) and ensured that most of the money LvG spent was wasted. You don't see clubs with good DoFs doing this because the new manager is brought in to suit the desired style.

With us, there's a good chance that the new manager will once again, find that he lacks the tools he wants, ensuring a lot of the outcomes of Jose's spending will be deemed surplus to requirements. This isn't the way a good club is run. We need a DoF. Didn't before, because Fergie was an ever-present. We need to understand that we won't get another Fergie - or even if we still hold out hope, we can't plan our structure based on the assumption that we will get another Fergie.

Of the elements that make a great organization, one of the key ones is to have the kind of structure that reduces dependence on a single person for any area and ensuring that the organization will continue to flourish regardless of a single person being in or out. That's what the "deeper issue" is at United. Woody has no idea of how to run the football side - and relies on the manager. When the manager cocks up, we're screwed.

Gabriel Derschner

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I m wondering why does the Players don t give their best week in and week out. I mean if Players come to such a big club as United they do have to adapt to the tactics the Coach gves them for shure but first and foremost they must represent with HONOUR the Shit to the rest of the world. Theplayers may have Problems with the Coach but they still must do their work what they are going to be Paid richly for. Ist easy to blame or fame a Couch only then when the Players give their best and isn t good enough but when i see the Squad im expecting them to challange for everything

midnightmare

The fact he still hasn’t gone yet after this weekend tells you all you need to know about the stewardship of this club. At any other big club worth it’s salt - the manager would have a) had the self respect to have walked or b) been shown the door immediately. This will sadly drag on until we’re out of the running of all trophies and the seasons a complete write off. It’s actually disgusting tbh if that is allowed to happen. We’re good enough to get top 4 if we take the squad at face value.
I still have hope. We lost on a Saturday and today's Monday. I am hoping that this announcement will make it a good start to my week... for a change, could do with a good Monday after a weekend disappointment!

Robbie Boy

When was this?

I agree, its not a matter of if, but when. My money is on him not making it beyond October, sooner if we don't get results in the next few matches. If we lose Tuesday at home to Valencia, he should be sacked immediately after. Let Carrick and McKenna run the match against New Castle while you get Zidane or Conte in to save/salvage the rest of the season. The club would be foolish to leave the decision time to whether we bomb out of the CL in the groups stage but I wouldn't put anything past them at this point. The cost of letting Jose run the team further into the ground will be a hell of a lot more than any payout he's due for being sacked. Get rid. He's beyond the point of turning this around. He's had a feud with Shaw, Pogba, Martial, Herrera, apparently now Sanchez, Bailly, who is next?
Conte? Another manager who is a grade a cnut and plays shit on a stick football, no thanks.

The United

"Deeper issues" pertain to a sustained longer-term vision of how the team runs and plays. This outlives the manager and spans for eras. It defines the transfer philosophy as well as the managers you bring in and ensures that transfer spends and wages are not suddenly made redundant wastes when you swap managers. We went from LvG (possession-football) to Jose (counter-attacking with solid defence) and ensured that most of the money LvG spent was wasted. You don't see clubs with good DoFs doing this because the new manager is brought in to suit the desired style.

With us, there's a good chance that the new manager will once again, find that he lacks the tools he wants, ensuring a lot of the outcomes of Jose's spending will be deemed surplus to requirements. This isn't the way a good club is run. We need a DoF. Didn't before, because Fergie was an ever-present. We need to understand that we won't get another Fergie - or even if we still hold out hope, we can't plan our structure based on the assumption that we will get another Fergie.

Of the elements that make a great organization, one of the key ones is to have the kind of structure that reduces dependence on a single person for any area and ensuring that the organization will continue to flourish regardless of a single person being in or out. That's what the "deeper issue" is at United. Woody has no idea of how to run the football side - and relies on the manager. When the manager cocks up, we're screwed.
It is not that I don't understand the above issues. My point is that many big clubs have those kind of issues. They don't seem to struggle as much.

Also, about DOF issue, I think people are overestimating about their responsibility and functioning within the structure. The likes of LVG, Jose etc probably would not fit with a DOF above them. People will blame on DOF instead of Ed if shit happens. So not only we have to find a 'right' manager, we have to find a 'right' DOF too.

If woodward buys what managers tell him to and those players turn out shit, it is woodward who should be taking the blame. If woodward does not buy players, he has no idea how to run a football because he does not back the manager 100%. DOF will have the same issues. And guess what it is woodward who does not hire the 'right' football DOF. I just think people are making the whole thing a bit too complicated. I am not saying I am against having DOF. Just that there will be the same issues which probably have nothing to do with anything but getting 'safe (wrong)' managers in the first place.

Last edited:

HailtotheKing

im not sure it’s that complicated. The club needs a clear vision. The DOF helps define that division then recruits the manager and players that fit it. If for whatever reason the manager does t work, the DOF finds another one who fits and will hopefully be successful. If the vision is right, then probably a lot of the players will still be suited to the new manager too. So less spending is required.

So long as we agree on the vision then we should have no problem with the DOF. Only if they continue to hire a bunch of failing managers would you start to question them.

Sound familiar?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'd keep him and see if he can turn it around before evaluating next season. Only way I'd sack him is he drifts too far from the likes of Arsenal.

Siorac

I wouldn't take too much notice of the press, they know as much as we do and have to write articles for clicks. I could have made up that Telegraph article myself.

Loads of journos were saying Moyes would be given at least the season and it never happened. Jose is done - maybe not tomorrow but the writing is on the wall and it won't drag until summer, not a chance.
To be fair, Moyes was given pretty much the whole season - he was fired only when we had nothing but meaningless games to play.

JonDahl

So let’s get this into prospective 71% of our fan base want Ed Woodward to appoint a new manager.

Ok thanks red cafe.
Well when the alternative is keeping a manager who has churned out 2 years of shit-on-a-stick football with the 3rd well and truly in motion, on our way to achieving nothing having spent £300 million, then yes I think we have to hedge our bets and let Woodward try again. Let’s not act like hiring Jose was a “bad” move at the time either (certainly short term).

Roboc7

When was this?

I agree, its not a matter of if, but when. My money is on him not making it beyond October, sooner if we don't get results in the next few matches. If we lose Tuesday at home to Valencia, he should be sacked immediately after. Let Carrick and McKenna run the match against New Castle while you get Zidane or Conte in to save/salvage the rest of the season. The club would be foolish to leave the decision time to whether we bomb out of the CL in the groups stage but I wouldn't put anything past them at this point. The cost of letting Jose run the team further into the ground will be a hell of a lot more than any payout he's due for being sacked. Get rid. He's beyond the point of turning this around. He's had a feud with Shaw, Pogba, Martial, Herrera, apparently now Sanchez, Bailly, who is next?
He said it around the time we beat Burnley. I can’t see him getting sacked for a while, the board let Moyes and LVG keep going even though they didn’t have any intention of keeping them for the next season. I don’t think they want or know how to change manager during the season and will be hoping to drag it out to the summer.

Mourinho wont get on with the job though, he will basically dare them to sack him knowing he is due a big pay off and that the board don’t want to pay it. I see it getting so bad he has to be sacked but am concerned that could take a couple of months at least.

Robbie Boy

Look where keeping Moyes left us... It's just not working and barring a miracle, it won't. Why not cut our losses instead of this insistence of waiting until our season is completely fecked and then possibly missing out on revenue the following season if we don't make the CL. I honestly don't get it. I mean if there were any positive signs of progression, it would make some semblance of sense to keep him on, but things are horrific.

buchansleftleg

Given the importance of Tuesday's game I would actually announce he has gone today if possible. The current state of the squad is that we would be humiliated if we play Juventus - god can you imagine Ronaldo running at that demoralised defence with McTominay being tasked to mark him!

Valencia at home is our best chance to get some points on the board in Champs League. If we mess that up we will get bounced out in the early rounds. Jose is not the type to just keep things ticking over till a replacement is found. He will go kicking and screaming unless you tie him up in a nice settlement agreement like Abramovich did first time round.

I watched the Women's team play on Sunday and it was so refreshing to see a well drilled team fight for each other and try lots of different tactical approaches in the game. Announcing he has gone would have an immediate impact on morale and make the Valencia game more positive. If Jose is still around on Tuesday things will get even more toxic.

Judas

Open to offers
I'd keep him and see if he can turn it around before evaluating next season. Only way I'd sack him is he drifts too far from the likes of Arsenal.
What makes you think for a second he could turn it around when he's never looked likely to do so before? You really want us to the be the first team to allow his 3rd season meltdown and then give him a 4th? Are you a masochist?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
What makes you think for a second he could turn it around when he's never looked likely to do so before? You really want us to the be the first team to allow his 3rd season meltdown and then give him a 4th? Are you a masochist?
He earned some benefit of doubt from what he achieved results wise last season. If there were a safer bet around I'd understand but I think it's a big risk making sudden changes this early on anyway.

We just have to hope he stabilises things. Also, can you please explain more about this 3rd season thing from a results standpoint? Outside of Chelsea I haven't seen his sides implode and finish low down the table in his final season. Could be wrong though.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I think he passed the point of new return some time ago. He fell out with too many players, also the board, and on the pitch he cant do anything right

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Just seems like Woodward is too scared to take action at the moment. But he's just delaying the inevitable.

Win the next two games and Jose earns himself a few more awful results. This club needs to be far more ruthless, we've become so passive.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
What did he say? Please share ❤
"It was not good enough from a Manchester United team with all the talent we have," said Shaw, 23.

"We didn't look like a team that was going to beat West Ham.

"If you want the truth I think it was honestly horrendous. I think individually and as a team we were awful."

Ban

Let's bring Zidane, what can go wrong. If he made it that Madrid team he can surely make it with us. Xoxo
<3

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Thanks- the question is why don't we look like a team after 3 seasons?
Mourinho isn't interested in a team playing good football.

All he cares about is sitting deep, winning the ball back and counter attacking. Even with that though we still suck at it.

in 2/3 years in charge our footballs got worse not better. We take 1 step forward then 2 steps back.

Robbie Boy

Let's bring Zidane, what can go wrong. If he made it that Madrid team he can surely make it with us. Xoxo
<3
Let's keep Mourinho, he is doing a swell job both on and off the pitch. The match on Saturday was a joy to watch hunz xoxo

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We will

But, somehow, we are the only one who is struggling to get CL football almost every other season since SAF retired. I just think the board going for 'safe' managers to 'stabilize the ship' is the main issue instead of being brave and go for up and coming managers who will have similar ideology like the club and let them have a go at it.
I do think the problems are overstated and a lot of them would be solved by hiring the right manager. At the same time we can up our game off the pitch

amolbhatia50k

<3
He possibly can and we'll find out if we give him a chance. Sticking with an asset that's failing is plain daft.

amolbhatia50k

Just seems like Woodward is too scared to take action at the moment. But he's just delaying the inevitable.

Win the next two games and Jose earns himself a few more awful results. This club needs to be far more ruthless, we've become so passive.
The see saw will carry on till January at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.