The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainoldo

I can’t believe so many fans believe the gutter press and point fingers where they can not ultimately know for sure. First it was moyes, then it was lvg now it’s Jose. When do we ever look past the soap opera that’s played out in the media and consider that it’s more than just the manager? But let’s say it was just the manger. Doesn’t three managers in a row that are divisive and shit suggest that whoever is hiring these managers hasn’t got a clue what they are doing?

What I don’t understand is that people can have so little faith in man who has been successful, thinking he can’t turn things around, but that a man who has picked three dud managers in row will get it right the forth time.

Take out the specifics of your post, and everything you said was also said about lvg. So it’s either not the managers, or it is and woody keeps choosing them. Either way, woody needs to be moved on first because whoever our next manager is, I’d like someone that has a clue to assess and interview him/her.
So he’s picked 3 dud manager (2 actually) but then you also admit the last dud manager is actually a successful one. Like make up your mind.

Mainoldo

What do you base this theory on? We've spent loads of money in recent years, including a world-record transfer fee. We've given players better contracts left and right; we currently have the highest wage bill in the world. How can this possibly indicate that the board's goal is to spend as little as possible?
It just matches the agenda. When you break it down it actually makes no sense. If it was really the case why not just keep LVG? Why try and get a ‘better’ manager who has a track record of a league title within 2 years. Would we not have been better placed trying to convince Wenger to take over?

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
So he’s picked 3 dud manager (2 actually) but then you also admit the last dud manager is actually a successful one. Like make up your mind.
He can't make up his mind because, like most other people who are Mourinho in, he rating him by his past accomplishments rather than what he's doing now. Some of the logic used to defend this guy (and he'll tell you he isn't) is nothing short of mental gymnastics. These are they same posters who will turn around and tell you Pochettino isn't good enough.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
So did I read somewhere that Mourinho is going to get another hundred and thirty million to squander?
If he "squanders" it for Skriniar and Koulibaly than I am all up for it.

Even happier when we see the back of Jones and Rojo.

Greek9

Supports
Panathinaikos
He can't make up his mind because, like most other people who are Mourinho in, he rating him by his past accomplishments rather than what he's doing now. Some of the logic used to defend this guy (and he'll tell you he isn't) is nothing short of mental gymnastics. These are they same posters who will turn around and tell you Pochettino isn't good enough.
They don't even deserve to be on the same sentence, Mourinho is head and shoulders the better manager, also if you want me to rate his current accomplishments then he as done better than Pochetino, I don't care who had the better recourses just like most so not care that Pep had half a billion more to spend in order to win the league instead of Mou.

cheeky_backheel

Same pochettino that hasnt won anything (beyond PL manager of the month) but wants spurs board to invest heavily?

Reddy Rederson

What do you base this theory on? We've spent loads of money in recent years, including a world-record transfer fee. We've given players better contracts left and right; we currently have the highest wage bill in the world. How can this possibly indicate that the board's goal is to spend as little as possible?
I believe what he means is that top 4 finish is good enough for them and they wont push harder to get first place or a champions league win. One of the things that I remember reading about the glazers is that they wanted a 3 billion pound team. ie they what the image of being the most expensive, rather than being the best club. An example of this might be di maria who is and always has been a flair player. Hes not someone who just plays a role and does whatever hes told. Yet woody went and got him even though he was as far away from an LVG player as you can get. And it really showed as time went on and di maria became quite the little bitch about having defensive responsibilities.

Then theres everyones favourite punching bag, rooney. A shadow of his former self, but the idea that united couldnt attract big players without SAF was an issue. And so Rooney got the big money to stay and be captain. Was it worth it? Not in my opinion as I think united in itself is the draw. Moyes being moyes and woodward being an idiot didnt really make anything happen transfer wise. They got mata, and as I believe the rumour goes they were to get kroos in the summer. So the idea seems to be that the big spending is more about image/brand than reaching for the top. Whether thats true or not, I dont know. But I have seen things that would lead me to believe that to be the case.

Reddy Rederson

:lol: So you want a cheat to manage us and have us playing dirty football while still winning nothing? Good plan.

And if you think not buying everything thats printed in a newspaper or posted on twitter is Jose in then I really dont know what else there could be to say. God forbid you have to show your work to the class. Opinions are not, and never have been facts. Sorry that makes you and your friend so mad.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
It's that simple. He won player of the month 3 times in the first half of last season. Then Jose jettisoned him for Sanchez and tried to sell him over the summer. Jose is forced to give him a run of games this season due to injuries. Lo and behold he's our best player again.

The only thing stopping Martial has been Jose's refusal to play him consistently. He deserves zero credit for his form. If anything, we should be thankful to Ed for refusing to sell him. If Jose had his way he'd be banging in the goals or Chelsea right now.
You state here that Mou tried to sell him over the summer and Ed refused this as though it is established fact. The poster asked you for a source link other than newspaper talk

I think you need to read the exchanges fully. That poster was being extremely obtuse. Sources will never be publicly named. So in asking for facts and sources he was looking for a cheap way to win his argument. Basically saying if we couldn't prove it with facts or sources then it never happened. That's obviously not the case. Things do happen. And most things that happen are not publicly confirmed.
He wasn't saying it never happened, he was questioning the validity of the statement, his narrative is seemingly pro jose your's is seemingly anti. Fair enough you're both discussing opinions and reading the situation how you see it.

This is stupid. You know things happen that the club won't confirm publicly. If you've no interest that's your deal. You can wait for the club website to tell you what they want you to believe.

Others who are interested in the club will take heed of the huge amount of information available. Manager quotes, player agent quotes, journalists, team selections, former players etc. Some things the papers say are true, others are obvious nonsense. If you aren't braindead you can actually get a decent idea of the difference. Mourinho himself has given us several direct insights into his relationship with Martial for instance. Those with the ability to take these on board will be better placed to judge these stories.

Those who lack that capacity will be better off not reading anything because you can't tell the difference and end up saying "it's those newspapers lied to me again innit" If that's your situation so be it. But stop this nonsense about "facts" and verified sources etc.
The only evidence you really offered for your opinion was that Neville had said it on Sky and you had worked it out from manager/agent and player statements. So I think it's perfectly fair to ask for sources, is it from reliable journalists, which Jose/agent quotes are you interpreting etc Otherwise it is just rumour that fits an anit-jose argument.

E-mal

Mourinho is done, yesterday's man. There is no way in hell he is going to win the EPL ahead of these current top coaches in the league.
They are more evolved in the modern game than him and their sqaurd of players ain't that bad.
And for those saying the club has no ambition, the manager has been backed, other than Pep, he has been backed far more than others.
He should have been sacked from preseason for all his negative prophesies. The Sir Alex's stand by your manager comment is the problem. Is time we become more like chelsea simple!

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
:lol: So you want a cheat to manage us and have us playing dirty football while still winning nothing? Good plan.

And if you think not buying everything thats printed in a newspaper or posted on twitter is Jose in then I really dont know what else there could be to say. God forbid you have to show your work to the class. Opinions are not, and never have been facts. Sorry that makes you and your friend so mad.
I didn't say anything about newspapers so you can use that strawman rubbish on someone else.

Now he's a cheater and we are still appealing to accomplishments. It's like arguing with a 4 year old.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
They don't even deserve to be on the same sentence, Mourinho is head and shoulders the better manager, also if you want me to rate his current accomplishments then he as done better than Pochetino, I don't care who had the better recourses just like most so not care that Pep had half a billion more to spend in order to win the league instead of Mou.
I see you're just regurgitating the same rudimentary arguments about Mourinho being a better manager because of past accomplishments. Boring like his football.

Pep spent half a billion and put together one of the most feared squads in Europe who walked the league last year. Mourinho spent 400m and he's sitting behind Watford and Bournemouth in the table and was played off the park by a Championship side. Talk about lowered expectations.

rollingstoned1

I think he should go because already the best we can hope for is an fa cup and a top 6 finish while we will in all likelihood look goal shy and struggle to show any kind of spark going forward all year and everytime we lose he will moans about the 30 year old CB he wasn't allowed to sign and how much that has affected his plans. In the mean time we will probably show a few bright spots here and there like the newcastle 2nd half, the Chelsea game and parts of the Everton game but everyone pretty much knows unless we really gather ourselves it won't really count and we will fail every test when it really matters ala last season.

fellaini's barber

I didn't say anything about newspapers so you can use that strawman rubbish on someone else.

Now he's a cheater and we are still appealing to accomplishments. It's like arguing with a 4 year old.
For your sanity's sake, don't engage that guy, he's either on a permanent wum or delusional

cheeky_backheel

The same Mourinho who spent 400m to build a squad that plays like Everton under Moyes.
Didnt know it was Mourinho negotiating transfers?

If you have a problem with the 400m being spent, take it up with the guy who negotiated and decided those players were worth the price tag

Mainoldo

If you have a problem with the 400m being spent, take it up with the guy who negotiated and decided those players were worth the price tag
I don’t think no of us have a problem with the money being spent, we’re just tired of the manager complaining that it hasn’t been enough. Everything that comes out of his mouth for the past 7 months has been about money.

SteveW

You state here that Mou tried to sell him over the summer and Ed refused this as though it is established fact. The poster asked you for a source link other than newspaper talk

He wasn't saying it never happened, he was questioning the validity of the statement, his narrative is seemingly pro jose your's is seemingly anti. Fair enough you're both discussing opinions and reading the situation how you see it.

The only evidence you really offered for your opinion was that Neville had said it on Sky and you had worked it out from manager/agent and player statements. So I think it's perfectly fair to ask for sources, is it from reliable journalists, which Jose/agent quotes are you interpreting etc Otherwise it is just rumour that fits an anit-jose argument.
I've went through this already. I'm not writing another few paragraphs explaining the same things to you.

cheeky_backheel

I don’t think no of us have a problem with the money being spent, we’re just tired of the manager complaining that it hasn’t been enough. Everything that comes out of his mouth for the past 7 months has been about money.
The question that should be asked is if the squad we have is good enough to win PL and/or CL. For me, the answer is clearly no. Thus if the aim is to win championships, then the manager is right that the 400m spent so far is not enough

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The question that should be asked is if the squad we have is good enough to win PL and/or CL. For me, the answer is clearly no. Thus if the aim is to win championships, then the manager is right that the 400m spent so far is not enough
Or manager is not good enough.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football

He didn't want any of these players he signed in the last 3 years? He accepted them under duress? You don't even believe that nonsense.

This is flagrant intellectual dishonesty or you are just arguing for the sake of.
Since joining Citeh, Pep has spent over £500m in signing 13 players, while Mourinho has spent about £390m on 8 players (with additional 2 coming on free).
I have never said Mou should get the specific players he requests for cos i find his judgement dubious in this regard ( e.g. he bought quaresma - wtf).
Overall our transfer activities have been poor imo and find neither Mou nor Woodward significantly capable in this regard
Get you story straight about who's fault it is.

Mainoldo

They’ll only ever be one time to win it. So it’s not a matter of is this squad the best (which is really what your asking) it’s a matter of can this squad win it. After 6 years of no SAF this is the best squad we have had. So yes it is good enough we just require a manager to ‘do their job’.

redIndianDevil

We might as well shut down the website if we have to discuss has to be backed up with sources, quotes etc. FFS not even the journalists running news websites can get sources and quotes for everything and post opinions. That's what we all do here, we post opinions and that opinions are formed by following football.

Siorac

Some people here want Conte:houllier:. Poor man's Mourinho.
Mourinho is the right man for this job. Give him 2 players in next transfer window and we will win something maybe even this season. And one more thing. Of all top managers in big clubs, he is the one who is playing with the most youth players.
Rashford, Shaw, Martial are playing every match plus sometimes Mctominay and Pereira. So much about youth myth.
How much players are promoting Sarri, Pep, Valverde, Allegri, Klopp, Poch...?

Hate for Mourinho here is unreal. Nearly equal as in newspapers.
Let's hope they're not another Mkhitaryan. Or Sanchez. Or Lukaku. Or Matic. Or Bailly. Or... you get the point, I'm sure.

Red_Ramirez

You can't win the league without being entertaining. They go hand in hand. Entertaining meaning scoring lots of goals and playing attacking football.
I don't know why we act like its one or the other. The best football is the winning football and you don't win PLs by being a boring team. We've won no league titles in the last 5 years by being boring. So yes the next manager must be an attacking one.
Arsene Wenger it is then:smirk:

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
I found this posted on "The Shed End" website. Dated 22nd October 2015.

"I love jose and was delighted to have him back, but he's been back nearly 2 and a half years and if I'm honest, we have been pretty poor to watch bar the first 4 months of last season.

I think I would prefer us to play with 2 solid defensive midfielders that can cover and let us the attacking players attack.

I think we would have been a better team with a midfield of

Matic (another dm)

Kdb mata hazard

Now we seem to be stuck in between styles, if Mourinho is truly here for the long term, we need to start signing players that fit into his philosophy. Get in more players that are suited to play on the counter, play deep and hit teams on the break. High pressing and possesion football isn't mourinho's game, and I think it's one of the reasons for our troubles at the moment"

Parallels?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Let's hope they're not another Mkhitaryan. Or Sanchez. Or Lukaku. Or Matic. Or Bailly. Or... you get the point, I'm sure.
Miki was our best player in Europa league and mostly because of him we won euro trophy and were back in champ league. Lukaku scored 27 goals last year. Matic had solid season. But hey, lets tell lies. Everybody hates Mourinho, nobody will notice it.
I heard that Jose was guilty for tsunami last year in Asia. Spread that around;)

Siorac

Miki was our best player in Europa league and mostly because of him we won euro trophy and were back in champ league. Lukaku scored 27 goals last year. Matic had solid season. But hey, lets tell lies. Everybody hates Mourinho, nobody will notice it.
I heard that Jose was guilty for tsunami last year in Asia. Spread that around;)
And now Mkhitaryan has been sold because he turned crap. His replacement still hasn't produced anything near what's expected. Matic and Lukaku have both been getting worse the longer they've been with us which is sort of the point. There is a pattern here: all his signings do well initially and then they start getting worse and worse. Except Sanchez who has been crap from day one and Lindelöf who seems to show some improvement now.

Skills

Snitch
Some people here want Conte:houllier:. Poor man's Mourinho.
Mourinho is the right man for this job. Give him 2 players in next transfer window and we will win something maybe even this season. And one more thing. Of all top managers in big clubs, he is the one who is playing with the most youth players.
Rashford, Shaw, Martial are playing every match plus sometimes Mctominay and Pereira. So much about youth myth.
How much players are promoting Sarri, Pep, Valverde, Allegri, Klopp, Poch...?

Hate for Mourinho here is unreal. Nearly equal as in newspapers.
What? He's been dicking Mourinho for a few years now.

fellaini's barber

Yep, after $400m we're in our rightful place behind teams who have outspent us like Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs

tonnas

I still laugh when people still think Jose is the man. Ed and the board have faults as they chose 3 managers that failed. We need a DOF and a footballing board with a united way vision so the coach/manager dont need to change hald the team. Jose with this team is playing shite, outplayed by much lesser teams in derby, brighton, westham etc etc. It is now his 3rd year and we are frikken 8th with a slight chance of a top 4. Aren't you pro Jose not bothered by our ''style'' of play, boring football and hoof it to Fellaini?

This is the guy that wanted Martial out for perisic or willian, wanted to sell Shaw, targeting old cbs that cost a hell of a lot of money, simply to play the same shite boring football with more experience!! I blame the board for not sacking him in summer as it is clear they did not give him money as they do not believe in him so why not sack him? Is it compensation money? if we miss top 4 we will still lose a lot of money from the cl!

Utd should start to prepare for the next era, getting in a dof and his footballing board so they can decide on player recruitment and not the manager, they should target a new manager that has an attacking vision and his principles as close to the united way of play. With what is happening at spurs, i'd target pochettino to start next summer and in the meantime set up all the necessary work and installing the new DOF and board so it will be all ready and prepared for next season. Also, any recruitment done this Jan shouldn't be Jose choices but the clubs for the new direction.

WensleyMU

Day after day you see the same long since debunked nonsense being posted. About how much is spent, about how he's past it, about how he's lost players and dressing rooms etc etc. At this point it has to be a parody, an act done purely for entertainment and not for actual discussion.

What we know at this point is that Jose remains and is likely to remain United manager for the foreseeable future. That the players are absolutely behind their manager and are willing to perform and fight for him, the club and the fans. That Jose was right about the issues United faced and was right to be vocal about it.

fellaini's barber

Day after day you see the same long since debunked nonsense being posted. About how much is spent, about how he's past it, about how he's lost players and dressing rooms etc etc. At this point it has to be a parody, an act done purely for entertainment and not for actual discussion.

What we know at this point is that Jose remains and is likely to remain United manager for the foreseeable future. That the players are absolutely behind their manager and are willing to perform and fight for him, the club and the fans. That Jose was right about the issues United faced and was right to be vocal about it.
:lol:Debunked when and by who?

SolidSnake007

70% of the fanbase still want him gone even after a few wins. The writing is on the wall I'm afraid. There is no coming back from this.. too much water under the bridge now.

Just another FILLER season TBH

Status
Not open for further replies.