The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
I don’t think no of us have a problem with the money being spent, we’re just tired of the manager complaining that it hasn’t been enough. Everything that comes out of his mouth for the past 7 months has been about money.
Mourinho has practically turned into the quintessential chequebook manager and some are happy to defend it while discrediting Pep, Pochettino and Klopp.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Miki was our best player in Europa league and mostly because of him we won euro trophy and were back in champ league. Lukaku scored 27 goals last year. Matic had solid season. But hey, lets tell lies. Everybody hates Mourinho, nobody will notice it.
I heard that Jose was guilty for tsunami last year in Asia. Spread that around;)
Jose's signings have been objectively poor and to try claim otherwise is pure nonsense.

WensleyMU

:lol:Debunked when and by who?
Jose's lost the dressing room... Nope
Jose's getting sacked after Newcastle... Nope
Jose's spent £400million... Nope
Klopp, Poch, McKenna, Carrick, Giggs etc are better... Not in this reality

Loads of "senior sources" claims that clearly never happened, loads of pre and post match comments that were misreported to get a reaction...

There's barely a page in this thread where something hasn't been claimed that turned out to be utter rubbish, often enough though the same handful of posters will continue to "debate" that rubbish despite it being shown as rubbish.

fellaini's barber

Someone has made this point better than I could ever put it in another thread so I'll just put it here

The current United squad is not a level below the likes of Chelsea or Liverpool. Reading this tedious shite is simply tedious. The deflation of the existing playing squad in support of a cooked manager has been persistent since Ferguson retired even in spite of the the ever-improving and ever-expensive squad of players we’ve been building.

The mods on this forum should make this my tagline given how often I say it: Liverpool are practically top of the table with Gini Wijnaldum and James Milner in central midfield. Their right back is younger than Dalot. Joe Gómez was about as unproven as Axel Tuanzebe prior to last season and Andy Robertson was a £7 million punt from Hull City. Their manager has made it work due to his methods.

More quality players will take us to the “top level”? Keep banging that head, lad. It won’t break the wall.

Cloud7

At this point it has to be a parody, an act done purely for entertainment and not for actual discussion.
Mate at this point most of the points you make over and over to defend Mourinho come across as more of a parody than anything else.

fellaini's barber

Jose's lost the dressing room... Nope
Jose's getting sacked after Newcastle... Nope
Jose's spent £400million... Nope
Klopp, Poch, McKenna, Carrick, Giggs etc are better... Not in this reality

Loads of "senior sources" claims that clearly never happened, loads of pre and post match comments that were misreported to get a reaction...

There's barely a page in this thread where something hasn't been claimed that turned out to be utter rubbish, often enough though the same handful of posters will continue to "debate" that rubbish despite it being shown as rubbish.
You talked about Jose being past it and spending $400m being debunked, how have you debunked these seeing as we're 8th playing crap? And can you tell us how much he's actually spent? So we can use the the correct amount right to decimal points. As for your other points that's just normal discussion you can find on any discussion board, we were getting hammered by shite teams of course people speculated he's lost the dressing room because we were pathetic. His cultists like you responded in kind with player power threads which quickly dissapeared after we won Newcastle or didn't you notice those? People saying Klopp, Poch etc might do better is only speculation and normal discussion on a forum. Only way you'll 'debunk' that is if they all came and spent the same time and money he's had and still have us playing shite in 8th place and if they did we'd be wanting them fired too and they'll probably all have their own version of you generating excuses for them.

Reddy Rederson

I didn't say anything about newspapers so you can use that strawman rubbish on someone else.

Now he's a cheater and we are still appealing to accomplishments. It's like arguing with a 4 year old.
Yes it is since you questioned the validity of my reply to someone else are now dissmissimgnthe other side of the conversation because it doesn’t fit your narrative. The disingenuous nature of your arguments reads of desperation to “win” this ridiculous too red pissing contest you’ve sucked me into. Ive made my position clear countless times, yet you still try to speak for me, insisting you know me or my motives.

He is a cheater, he said so himself in a fecking interview.

https://www.thenational.ae/sport/fo...m-manager-mauricio-pochettino-admits-1.201796

And that’s how you do it, you make a statement and you back it up with a link to justify your statement. Not just shove your bullshit opinion down someone’s throat and get all pissy because they don’t take your word for it and want to see what brought you to that conclusion. This is an interview with the man himself, not “according to sources” or “it’s understood” or “believed”.

Arguing with 4 year olds would be a welcome break. You lot shifting the goal posts every time you get caught out is tiresome. You can go on the ignore list as well. You’re wumming is annoying.

Mainoldo

Day after day you see the same long since debunked nonsense being posted. About how much is spent, about how he's past it, about how he's lost players and dressing rooms etc etc. At this point it has to be a parody, an act done purely for entertainment and not for actual discussion.

What we know at this point is that Jose remains and is likely to remain United manager for the foreseeable future. That the players are absolutely behind their manager and are willing to perform and fight for him, the club and the fans. That Jose was right about the issues United faced and was right to be vocal about it.
I see you was easily sold. So we all should have believed a team that finished 2nd last season should be 8th.

It’s Moyesium all over again. Asif some fans have been brainwashed again by an underperforming manager.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'm not arguing against the notion that our start has been terrible and Mourinho is largely responsible for that.

I just find it laughable that people want one of the most decorated active managers in the world sacked because he made a slow start to the season.

Reddy Rederson

We might as well shut down the website if we have to discuss has to be backed up with sources, quotes etc. FFS not even the journalists running news websites can get sources and quotes for everything and post opinions. That's what we all do here, we post opinions and that opinions are formed by following football.
Then some people need to stop acting like thier opinions are facts or worth more than others. That’s were the arguments are coming from. But if you believe something and want someone else to believe it to, it’s not out of order to ask how you came to that opinion or belief. Is it? If a person doesn’t care if someone else shares their belief then why all the aggro?

Reddy Rederson

You talked about Jose being past it and spending $400m being debunked, how have you debunked these seeing as we're 8th playing crap? And can you tell us how much he's actually spent? So we can use the the correct amount right to decimal points. As for your other points that's just normal discussion you can find on any discussion board, we were getting hammered by shite teams of course people speculated he's lost the dressing room because we were pathetic. His cultists like you responded in kind with player power threads which quickly dissapeared after we won Newcastle or didn't you notice those? People saying Klopp, Poch etc might do better is only speculation and normal discussion on a forum. Only way you'll 'debunk' that is if they all came and spent the same time and money he's had and still have us playing shite in 8th place and if they did we'd be wanting them fired too and they'll probably all have their own version of you generating excuses for them.
He’s spent £360 million since he got here.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ose-mourinho-spent-money-at-manchester-united

Handré1990

Someone has made this point better than I could ever put it in another thread so I'll just put it here
Agreed! It’s all about what’s being done (or not done) on the training ground, and Mourinho’s underdog philosophy (i.e concede possession to minimize risk of mistakes that could punish us). I did change my vote to ‘yes’ in the poll after our third game this season (I think).

The reason it took me so long to make up my mind was because I was hoping (not expecting) to see some of his fabled counter-attacking football. He has failed miserably at getting us playing anything resembling a unit. The biggest paradox though, is that besides City, Liverpool, Tottenham, Chelsea and perhaps Arsenal, all other teams will have less possession than us on any given day. What then?

I said in the match day thread v Everton that at least we tried to play, but it wasn’t close to the level we should be at. We won because of a handful of talented attacking players. Even the defence, which is supposed to be his niche, looks nowhere near good enough, be it organisation or partnerships. Everton created more than enough to have been able to steal a point, or maybe even all three, even though objectively we deserved to win. This is his THIRD season people. This is his team, his responsibility.

Just my humble opinion, of course.

Mainoldo

I'm not arguing against the notion that our start has been terrible and Mourinho is largely responsible for that.

I just find it laughable that people want one of the most decorated active managers in the world sacked because he made a slow start to the season.
A bad start that he predicted. I wonder why it happened. It was like an internal sabotage.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
A bad start that he predicted. I wonder why it happened. It was like an internal sabotage.
He predicted it because he knows a good team when he sees one and he didn't have a good team. He asked for certain players to make it better but he didn't get them.

Siorac

We sacked one of the most decorated active managers in the world right after winning a trophy because he lost out on goal difference to a team that had massively outspent us.

So you can spin just about anything to make it sound ridiculous.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We sacked one of the most decorated active managers in the world right after winning a trophy because he lost out on goal difference to a team that had massively outspent us.

So you can spin just about anything to make it sound ridiculous.
Not at all. LVG had never won a title in England. In fact his last league win was in a two horse league 6 years prior.

Jose won us 2 cups in his first year and the Premier league in 15/16. Don't be daft to compare the two. LVG finished outside top 4. Jose hasn't yet and isn't out of.any top 4 race.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

It's not JUST because of a slow start though, is it..

Poor football, bad player judgement, falling out with our players and throwing them under the bus, never accepting responsibility for a poor performance, moaning about transfer funds when he's spend an absolute shedload already.

Add in the slow start and it's all looking pretty bad.

Siorac

He predicted it because he knows a good team when he sees one and he didn't have a good team. He asked for certain players to make it better but he didn't get them.
Again - and this is a very circular discussion at this point - that argument would hold a lot more weight if the players he DID get were performing brilliantly. But they aren't. Lukaku, Matic and Sanchez are all among the worst performers this season (and in the case of Sanchez, last season, too and Matic has been steadily getting worse after a solid start). Bailly is nowhere. Mkhitaryan has already been sold. Fred is mostly warming the bench and he's mediocre when on the pitch.

If Mourinho had his way, we probably wouldn't have Martial and maybe not even Pogba, the two players who keep saving his ass these days.

Siorac

Not at all. LVG had never won a title in England. In fact his last league win was in a two horse league 6 years prior.

Jose won us 2 cups in his first year and the Premier league in 15/16. Don't be daft to compare the two. LVG finished outside top 4. Jose hasn't yet and isn't out of.any top 4 race.
Van Gaal won a cup the day before he was sacked. Doesn't get any more recent than that.

We might still qualify for the CL, yes. If that's the only expectation then there is really no need to employ the world's best paid manager.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It's not JUST because of a slow start though, is it..

Poor football, bad player judgement, falling out with our players and throwing them under the bus, never accepting responsibility for a poor performance, moaning about transfer funds when he's spend an absolute shedload already.

Add in the slow start and it's all looking pretty bad.
Not really bad football in general. Good football against Watford, most of Chelsea, Burnley, Young Boys, Everton, Leicester, half of Newcastle are some examples.

It shows he is becoming more adventurous in his play. Last season people complained about his methods even though they got a good league position all things considered. This year he's changing the style more, but do you really think it comes swiftly without any hiccups? Are you really that naive?

Moaning about transfers is what we need. I'd rather get a Mou manager and take on the board to push for more spending.

Canagel

We have the 2nd place squad of last season plus Fred and Dalot. getting a CB isn't the difference between us winning or losing to teams like Brighton/West Ham etc the reason we are out of position in the table. It's poor management and nothing to do with signings. Mourinho would have an argument if we were 2nd behind City again but we're not.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Van Gaal won a cup the day before he was sacked. Doesn't get any more recent than that.

We might still qualify for the CL, yes. If that's the only expectation then there is really no need to employ the world's best paid manager.
Van Gaal didn't get top 4 and that's what cost him the job. We all know this. Itl be the same with Jose if he does the same and even I as a staunch Jose fan will not disagree with that decision. But to just whine and call for a sacking since early October when we are currently 5 pts off 28 games to go is pretty fecking stupid.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We have the 2nd place squad of last season plus Fred and Dalot. getting a CB isn't the difference between us winning or losing to teams like Brighton/West Ham etc the reason we are out of position in the table. It's poor management and nothing to do with signings. Mourinho would have an argument if we were 2nd behind City again but we're not.
Dalot wasn't brought in as a starter. We literally just have Fred as someone who was looked to contribute meaningfully to the season and even that you can argue was to replace Fellaini headcount at the time.

There was a well documented Times article suggesting he had a 5 positions he wanted to upgrade on. If that is to believe he was very much short changed.

Siorac

Van Gaal didn't get top 4 and that's what cost him the job. We all know this. Itl be the same with Jose if he does the same and even I as a staunch Jose fan will not disagree with that decision. But to just whine and call for a sacking since early October when we are currently 5 pts off 28 games to go is pretty fecking stupid.
We wasted a lot of money, we look no closer to winning major trophies (league or Champions League) than on day 1, we play dreadful football most of the time... I really don't see why we need to wait until the wheels have well and truly fallen off. Why not actually try and save the season? We made the same mistake with Moyes, waiting until it was mathematically certain we would not qualify for the CL even though his ineptitude had become woefully obvious much earlier; we made the same mistake with Van Gaal, not firing him in December 2015 when our season completely derailed...

I know we are going to make the same mistake with Mourinho, that we are going to wait and see if he can do something he has never ever done in his career - turn around a crisis - but I do not have to be happy about it. Essentially, we're writing the season off.

EDIT: And I would be really, really, really interested to know WHY ON EARTH is any United fan a "Jose fan". The unwavering loyalty he commands from a section of our supporters is nothing short of bizarre. He achieved big success at one of our rivals; he did absolutely nothing special at United and repeatedly shat on the club (footballing heritage, remember?), he does not play entertaining football. I'm genuinely baffled how and why he managed to create such a **** of loyal followers.

Jackbell1874

Jose deserves to stay till January, get the backing of the board the give him 1/2 months, no improvement sacked!

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I am boring with this but people spin same posts after every game so i will join too.
Did Jose inherited squad which needed complete rebuilding? We all agree that post lvg squad had only 4 or 5 class, united level quality players?
Was first season (huge) success? 2 trophies. One european. 2 more than Guardiola who invested more in his squad which was already better than ours.
Was second season solid? Fa cup final plus second in PL behind City and Pep who invested huge again. So solid second season? Yes?
So all those hate is based on these 3 months of this season?

And yes, i agree, football in this season is not that good but we are improving. We had bad run of results and form but we are looking better now. Give him 2 more players who he wants and we will challenge City.

Edit; @Siorac . Yes. I always rated Mourinho. But i am not Jose fan in this case. I am a fan of world class United manager for whom i think that he is doing very good job here. I rated Lvg before he came here. When i saw that he is not doing good job anymore, i voted for "sack him now".

Mainoldo

He told us Chelsea was a crap team too. Said they needed a CB. They brought a CM and won the league the next season.

WensleyMU

Mate at this point most of the points you make over and over to defend Mourinho come across as more of a parody than anything else.
Yes, pointing out where people have falling into the media reported nonsense is certainly a parody.

Speculation is a dangerous thing. Best to ignore it and concentrate on what we know. Not a single person denies we have had a poor start to the season. What is being said is that we are only in October and there is plenty of time to turn it around.

I see you was easily sold. So we all should have believed a team that finished 2nd last season should be 8th.

It’s Moyesium all over again. Asif some fans have been brainwashed again by an underperforming manager.
If we finish 8th, then Jose will rightly be sacked, as Moyes rightly was. However, it may surprise you and others to learn that the season ends in May, not in October. Something a few here seem to miss repeatedly.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We wasted a lot of money, we look no closer to winning major trophies (league or Champions League) than on day 1, we play dreadful football most of the time... I really don't see why we need to wait until the wheels have well and truly fallen off. Why not actually try and save the season? We made the same mistake with Moyes, waiting until it was mathematically certain we would not qualify for the CL even though his ineptitude had become woefully obvious much earlier; we made the same mistake with Van Gaal, not firing him in December 2015 when our season completely derailed...

I know we are going to make the same mistake with Mourinho, that we are going to wait and see if he can do something he has never ever done in his career - turn around a crisis - but I do not have to be happy about it. Essentially, we're writing the season off.

EDIT: And I would be really, really, really interested to know WHY ON EARTH is any United fan a "Jose fan". The unwavering loyalty he commands from a section of our supporters is nothing short of bizarre. He achieved big success at one of our rivals; he did absolutely nothing special at United and repeatedly shat on the club (footballing heritage, remember?), he does not play entertaining football. I'm genuinely baffled how and why he managed to create such a **** of loyal followers.
The money spent is tedious. We wasted money before him and if we fail to appoint a DOF we will waste money after. The money under his reign is heavily concentrated on 2 players. He's spent 388m and 40% of that is concentrated on two players.

Liverpool since hiring Klopp have spent £570m to improve whilst City we know have spent even more.

Last season Jose actually spent less than Chelsea and finished above them.

I don't actually care.about how much a team spends so long as it's spent well. If it isn't you'd point to the transfer structure and see if the manager is to blame or the club. In our case it's obviously the shit scouting, the lack of a proper infrastructure to negotiate deals and actually serve the managers interests. I know you really want to blame Jose with a lazy "he spent x so we should be first", but it's not that simple. He's not spent wild amounts compared to his peers and the waste of money on certain signings was a problem before him. Point to the scouts and Ed before you start looking at Jose. He was manager at a time where Sneijder Milito Essein Drogba would come in and make a mammoth difference. I think he knows his fecking players.

As for the crisis point, he's only been "in crisis" once and didn't get the chance to see it out like Klopp did with Dortmund. We were in crisis against Newcastle and I'd argue he's on the way to turning it around.

Fans of Jose aren't unwavering. There are a lot of things that piss me off about him but fact remains he's the best one around and has dislodged Pep once before. Seems a long way off right now hut the problems aren't exclusive to him.

fellaini's barber

And I thought Kinderbueno was a lunatic! Seems every manager no matter how hopeless will just have these set of defenders who will back him even if he took us to relegation

fellaini's barber

Can you compare that to Klopp and Pep please?
Why stop there, what about Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and Watford? They're all better than us of course obviously, can't expect poor Jose to be competing with these giants after spending a paltry ($459m,€360m)whatever

WensleyMU

:lol: I don't even know why I'm bothering with you. Ok so how much has he spent in $ please let us know so we can stop rounding it up then
It would be better to keep the discussion to one currency, being that United are an English club and I am British, I prefer to use GBP. The problem which switching between currencies is that it quickly goes from $459million to £459million, as it has in the past.

Siorac

The money spent is tedious. We wasted money before him and if we fail to appoint a DOF we will waste money after. The money under his reign is heavily concentrated on 2 players. He's spent 388m and 40% of that is concentrated on two players.

Liverpool since hiring Klopp have spent £570m to improve whilst City we know have spent even more.

Last season Jose actually spent less than Chelsea and finished above them.

I don't actually care.about how much a team spends so long as it's spent well. If it isn't you'd point to the transfer structure and see if the manager is to blame or the club. In our case it's obviously the shit scouting, the lack of a proper infrastructure to negotiate deals and actually serve the managers interests. I know you really want to blame Jose with a lazy "he spent x so we should be first", but it's not that simple. He's not spent wild amounts compared to his peers and the waste of money on certain signings was a problem before him. Point to the scouts and Ed before you start looking at Jose. He was manager at a time where Sneijder Milito Essein Drogba would come in and make a mammoth difference. I think he knows his fecking players.

As for the crisis point, he's only been "in crisis" once and didn't get the chance to see it out like Klopp did with Dortmund. We were in crisis against Newcastle and I'd argue he's on the way to turning it around.

Fans of Jose aren't unwavering. There are a lot of things that piss me off about him but fact remains he's the best one around and has dislodged Pep once before. Seems a long way off right now hut the problems aren't exclusive to him.
570m? What the feck? They spent €437M according to transfermarkt which is roughly 390m. This sky article says 411m. But nowhere near 570m and actually very comparable to what we spent. The difference is less than 20m. And, I repeat, Liverpool started off from a worse position and they had to sell their best player. We also pay far higher wages.

So the poor transfers are down to shit scouting and poor structure, we should point to the scouts and Woodward before pointing at Mourinho. To summarise: the poor football is because of the poor players and the poor players are the fault of the scouts and the board. So absolutely nothing is Mourinho's fault! I mean, he would probably agree with you but then the discussion is pointless.

Again, by that logic, we should never have fired Van Gaal. Yes, we played poor football but the players were crap and the scouts and Woodward didn't sign the right players for him! He knows his players, he was manager when Robben came in and made a mammoth difference to Bayern.

Moonwalker

What is this tripe?

Mainoldo

Yes, pointing out where people have falling into the media reported nonsense is certainly a parody.

Speculation is a dangerous thing. Best to ignore it and concentrate on what we know. Not a single person denies we have had a poor start to the season. What is being said is that we are only in October and there is plenty of time to turn it around.

If we finish 8th, then Jose will rightly be sacked, as Moyes rightly was. However, it may surprise you and others to learn that the season ends in May, not in October. Something a few here seem to miss repeatedly.
It might end in May but I got guarantee you we aren’t going to win the league. There is nothing to bloody miss from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.