The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick08

Honestly as a Chelsea fan (I’m saying if you was) would you have given Conte this 3rd season? This is exactly what you are advocating by saying you would give Mourinho a 4th. He’s at the wrong club, i’d Rather he go and fix Madrid’s current mess. They have money to spend again... he will love it. Hopefully he comes for Lukaku.
Interestingly the mourinho never had mourinho style footballers in Madrid that's the best any team had played under him as their were proper playmakers in the middle with a top class mid and direct worlds best wide players. Madrid were not a long ball team and most of those players he inherited there, while here he returned with his long ball defensive stuff as he never bough the proper midfield here to play that way while having no natural wide men here.

Reddy Rederson

No one is posting facts here, everyone including you are posting their opinions, if you start asking where is the source or quote for every little thing to just win the argument, then there is no point in the forum at all. THe poster that gave his opinion regarding Martial, clearly explained how he came into that conclusion, instead of debating on those points you just wanted to him shut up and asked for a source which every one knows is unattainable.
Plenty of people are acting like their opinions are facts. So when someone says “he did this” that’s not an opinion, that’s a statement of fact. “I believe he did this” is an opinion, and even then it’s jot out of order to ask why that is your opinion. And when “because it’s in the paper” is the reply it’s jot unreasonable to challenge that opinion.

Which poster? Since I’ve been acted by more than a few people that get butthut about being asked how they came to thier conclusion?

Mainoldo

Back when we were the most consistent & successful team in the UK - a lot of the fans of the other teams would call a lot of our fans 'glory hunters'.

I never really got that & thought it was pure jealousy - which it probably was- but I am seeing it much more clearly now.

Success & trophies are more important to some fans rather than the club progressing themselves bit by bit to a more consistent level of capability.

The fact is Jose at United should adapt his game & his management to the standards of Manchester United - he is being hired to manage the players we already have, utilise things like our youth team, whilst keeping a level of stability & respect at a club that is viewed by millions over the world.

Many fans were very eager for him to take over LVG even though they were at two opposite sides of the spectrum - all because he had the ability to purely win a trophy or two during a traditional 3 year tenure. We skipped the whole trying to let an assistant manager take over the manager after 3 years attempt (giggs & LVG) fall apart because for a need of glory; fair play to that.

Now I am seeing in his 3 years - after winning some marginal trophies that people want to continue with Jose - even though we hardly have a game plan, we hardly get the best out of our players, we hardly control a game even against relegation fiddlers, we play like the underdogs, better players are left out unfairly for people who are merely taller & stronger - the list goes on.

And yet - fans want him to continue.. For what? To win an odd trophy? That to me is a glory hunter - putting all our clubs understanding & expectations of football in a bin just so we can scrape a trophy by winning a game 1-0 on the counterattack with players that are about to retire.

The fact is a traditional Jose team has a very short lifespan & constantly involves players that only suit Jose & not anyone else after. Whilst players like - Matic, Lukaku, Aldeweireld, Sanchez, perisic, Willian & Mcguire- May have the ability to win a title; the chances are mininal in my opinion because whilst such a team could have won in pre - 2014 - playing football in such a robust way is nowhere near good enough anymore due to the level of competition that is spread through out all of the league. Also the fact that alpt of these players are near 30 or more is down right a very short term view on football & as proven so far this season; younger players have been able to up their game when needed more so than expected. These players if they did win a title - would only be able to do so for a year or two max before degrading as we have already seen with Matic & Sanchez.

So what do we do? Continue & just abandon the clubs philosophy for the chance to win an odd lucky title just to feel like a big club again for 12 months or so? Or do we try to build something consistent that may take more time & may take 2 steps back to make 5 steps forward. I know what I want & that's not just merely changing anything of United philosophy to just hunt for glory.

Jose has finally attempted to bend his tactics & his footballing choices towards that of Manchester United In his third season - you could argue that's because he has given up on properly managing this team in his own very strict regime. However whilst the results & the trophies are not there - when we do play good; we play good as we ever did under Jose. That's because the manager has done things the United way for once whilst previously he would go by the philosophy of Chelsea & the numerous other clubs he managed who were under dogs in their league needing success in anyway that came fit.
I never thought about glory haunting like that but you have a point. Maybe that’s why Chelsea fans loved it. They was probably the glory haunting United fans at one time...:smirk:

Mainoldo

Plenty of people are acting like their opinions are facts. So when someone says “he did this” that’s not an opinion, that’s a statement of fact. “I believe he did this” is an opinion, and even then it’s jot out of order to ask why that is your opinion. And when “because it’s in the paper” is the reply it’s jot unreasonable to challenge that opinion.

Which poster? Since I’ve been acted by more than a few people that get butthut about being asked how they came to thier conclusion?
Do you require disclaimers when posters give opinions now?

Aloysius's Back 3

I never thought about glory haunting like that but you have a point. Maybe that’s why Chelsea fans loved it. They was probably the glory haunting United fans at one time...:smirk:
Yep it's the same thing as how things were at City - success was more important than anything else; what players were used, what type of football was being played was irrelevant. That was the case because they had historically low success & were hunting for glory anyway see fit. Jose suits Chelsea even to this day more than he suits United after 3 years because one club would die for success in any way possible - whilst United tend to have standards.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
That is a sackable offence if ever I’ve seen one. Especially with the team he has. It pretty much got the latest Madrid manager the sack.
Good thing youre not anywhere close to the club, I guess.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Do you require disclaimers when posters give opinions now?
No. Just don't chat rubbish like "mourinho said he has a crap team at Chelsea" and then hide when someone asks for quotes.

ash_86

Yep it's the same thing as how things were at City - success was more important than anything else; what players were used, what type of football was being played was irrelevant. That was the case because they had historically low success & were hunting for glory anyway see fit. Jose suits Chelsea even to this day more than he suits United after 3 years because one club would die for success in any way possible - whilst United tend to have standards.
While i agree, we need both standards as well as success.

Hawks2008

Wish we could have been as decisive as Real. This season is already a write off, the fact we are talking about 'maybe if he can get top 4' as a positive then it speaks volumes.

Judas

Open to offers
The season was a write-off before a ball had even been kicked though. I don't remember ever going into a season with so little belief that we'd achieve anything.

Amadinho is the goat
Scout

Butthut is brilliant. Butthurt's often the sign of a shit post but Butthut is totally different, I salute you.

Siorac

No. Just don't chat rubbish like "mourinho said he has a crap team at Chelsea" and then hide when someone asks for quotes.
“Last season I did phenomenal work. Sometimes I find myself thinking that last season I did such an amazing job I brought players to a level that is not their level and, if this is true, I brought them to such a level where this season they couldn’t keep the super motivation to be leaders and champions. That is one possibility."

cheeky_backheel

They’ll only ever be one time to win it. So it’s not a matter of is this squad the best (which is really what your asking) it’s a matter of can this squad win it. After 6 years of no SAF this is the best squad we have had. So yes it is good enough we just require a manager to ‘do their job’.
That this is the best squad since SAF says more about how much quality has or has not been injected. if the squad is not at the level of the competition, how can it be good enough to win the title? managers are not magicians and it is not a coicidence that pep wonntge league after speninding more than everyone else despite starting off with one of the best squads in the league.

Reddy Rederson

“Last season I did phenomenal work. Sometimes I find myself thinking that last season I did such an amazing job I brought players to a level that is not their level and, if this is true, I brought them to such a level where this season they couldn’t keep the super motivation to be leaders and champions. That is one possibility."
Another way you could look at it is that he didn’t throw them under the bus for downing tools? I wouldn’t look at that way, but I’m sure someone could.

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
Typo aside(you’re better than that), what else would you call an aggressive reaction to “how do you know that?”?
I genuinely enjoyed the typo, there's a certain joy to be found in words if you're that way inclined. As for aggressive reactions, I've found being aggressive makes one very vulnerable and unlikely to win an argument, I'd advise everyone to avoid it for their own good, angry people nearly always lose.

cheeky_backheel

Yep, after $400m we're in our rightful place behind teams who have outspent us like Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs
1. where were we before Mourinho? 5th with no CL
2. how much was spent before last summer? about £300m
3. where were we after spending £300m? 2nd behind a citeh who started of with a better squad and spent more.

if we really wanted to compete with citeh, we would have added players the needed quality in the summer to close the gap if not overtake citeh. instead we added fred and dalot

fellaini's barber

Has said something similar about us too. He's good at this shit that man

fellaini's barber

Actually yes they did. However I think these numbers don't include sales but Chelsea's sales are a bit fishy to say the least.
Ok, since money is the sole reason City and Liverpool and Chelsea play better football than us how about Arse and Spurs? Let me guess, those ones have a better 'structure'

fellaini's barber

If we do scrape 4th or 5th the rejoicing and I told sos from Jose's cultists will be greater than our Moscow CL win. 'I told you cnuts $400m can only get you 5th place suck on that you haters haha!!'

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
So where does he say his team is crap. He had a side that was champions one year and shit the next. Then under Conte they were champions one year and shit the next. Even under Ancelotti they won the league and ended up more than 10 points lower in the following season.

Jose was highlighting the lack of motivation with his players, not saying they were of shit quality. Its something even Zidane complained of about his players domestically when at Real in season 3.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If we do scrape 4th or 5th the rejoicing and I told sos from Jose's cultists will be greater than our Moscow CL win. 'I told you cnuts $400m can only get you 5th place suck on that you haters haha!!'
Given we have spent less than City and Liverpool in guessing a fair expectation should be 3rd for you right?

dove

Ok, since money is the sole reason City and Liverpool and Chelsea play better football than us how about Arse and Spurs? Let me guess, those ones have a better 'structure'
I don't know I never said money is the sole reason, I think we should be doing much better with the squad we have, at least play much more positive and it's definitely Jose's fault. I don't think getting Aldeweireld would have changed much, if anything. I can't see us scraping 4th, we are just way behind 4 teams. I don't think Arsenal will maintain this form for much longer, they have been very lucky in quite a few games this season.

fellaini's barber

Given we have spent less than City and Liverpool in guessing a fair expectation should be 3rd for you right?
Yes, if we put up a decent challenge but I'd still want him gone for the shit football. How about you is finishing below Spurs and Arsenal a fair expectation?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yes, if we put up a decent challenge but I'd still want him gone for the shit football. How about you is finishing below Spurs and Arsenal a fair expectation?
I don't think it's acceptable to finish below Spurs and Arsenal no, but I also don't think it's going to be a foregone conclusion that we will. Which is why I'd rather support him in trying to turn it around rather than pack up and wave a white flag in October.

cheeky_backheel

He didn't want any of these players he signed in the last 3 years? He accepted them under duress? You don't even believe that nonsense.

This is flagrant intellectual dishonesty or you are just arguing for the sake of.

Get you story straight about who's fault it is.
The question is about the amount spent. if you feel the players are not worth 400m then the fault lies with the guy who paid 400m for them.

that mourinho or any manager asks for a player does not mean we should cough out whatever the other club is asking for

Reddy Rederson

I genuinely enjoyed the typo, there's a certain joy to be found in words if you're that way inclined. As for aggressive reactions, I've found being aggressive makes one very vulnerable and unlikely to win an argument, I'd advise everyone to avoid it for their own good, angry people nearly always lose.
Apologies, I misunderstood your post. :)

fellaini's barber

I don't know I never said money is the sole reason, I think we should be doing much better with the squad we have, at least play much more positive and it's definitely Jose's fault. I don't think getting Aldeweireld would have changed much, if anything. I can't see us scraping 4th, we are just way behind 4 teams. I don't think Arsenal will maintain this form for much longer, they have been very lucky in quite a few games this season.
That's the thing I don't think Arsenal, Spurs or Chelsea are playing anything spectacular, we're just so terrible even bottom table teams look better at football than us. Blaming that on spending is just being delusional

Reddy Rederson

The question is about the amount spent. if you feel the players are not worth 400m then the fault lies with the guy who paid 400m for them.

that mourinho or any manager asks for a player does not mean we should cough out whatever the other club is asking for
Considering we always seem to pay the “United price” I tend to agree with this. Why were we being quoted somewhere between 75 and 90 for morata for example but Chelsea got him for 60ish? Maybe it’s all just papers talking out their bums but it does seem we are always been offered players for much more than others.

fellaini's barber

I don't think it's acceptable to finish below Spurs and Arsenal no, but I also don't think it's going to be a foregone conclusion that we will. Which is why I'd rather support him in trying to turn it around rather than pack up and wave a white flag in October.
Which is all well and good but some of us have seen enough from the past two seasons to conclude that he's not good enough and frankly so should the club. We are not obligated to wait till the season ends to know if he should stay or not like we did with Moyes for no bloody good reason. Any ambitious club won't accept this as Lopetegui has found out

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Which is all well and good but some of us have seen enough from the past two seasons to conclude that he's not good enough and frankly so should the club. We are not obligated to wait till the season ends to know if he should stay or not like we did with Moyes for no bloody good reason. Any ambitious club won't accept this as Lopetegui has found out
Well that's sort of bullshit because he had 2 cups in his first year and took us 2nd in his second year despite spending less than Conte and Pep. I'm not saying he's amazing in his time but he sure as hell doesn't give the impression you suggest.

You're evidently just upset that our football isn't entertaining in the first 2 seasons, but the truth is his style got us back on the map in seasons 1 and 2 so he's obviously good enough when looking at 1+2 seasons results.

Mainoldo

He moaned about signings for that whole summer. Go read it up yourself.

Mainoldo

When did he say he had a crap team at Chelsea.
When have you ever heard a manager say his team was crap? Your as bad as the other guy. Red cafe the law firm. He said his team was gassed out and needed refreshing. Which is why they ended up as relegation fother apparently. But the magician that was Conte managed to get the same team plus kante and David Luiz (a player Mourinho deemed not valuable enough to keep) back to the title.

The signs are there it’s just History repeating itself. Do you need to get shot before you realise the man has a gun. I don’t get it. Look at David Luiz, that could easily be an Eric Bailly example.

Roboc7

No shit man. He's retired now or we would still have him as manager
You wanted name of manager who has rebuilt a squad and you got one.

There are two ways to sort this team, give Mourinho hundreds of millions to buy whoever he wants and build a team to peak within a year or two before it implodes and then you have to spend fortunes more and start again.

Or look for someone who can improve what we have individually and collectively, spend money on the right players and work as part of a plan with a new structure etc.

Neither is sure to work, even if Mourinho had been ‘backed’ this summer he still wouldn’t have finished above City. The second option is at least along lines of how a club should be run rather than the clueless, scattergun and failing approach we currently have.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
You wanted name of manager who has rebuilt a squad and you got one.

There are two ways to sort this team, give Mourinho hundreds of millions to buy whoever he wants and build a team to peak within a year or two before it implodes and then you have to spend fortunes more and start again.

Or look for someone who can improve what we have individually and collectively, spend money on the right players and work as part of a plan with a new structure etc.

Neither is sure to work, even if Mourinho had been ‘backed’ this summer he still wouldn’t have finished above City. The second option is at least along lines of how a club should be run rather than the clueless, scattergun and failing approach we currently have.
So. The plan is finding the next saf - gill combo? Now why havent we think of that.

While we're at it we should add the next johann cruyft as well.

Now where do we find them?

Status
Not open for further replies.