The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

liamp

“Last season I did phenomenal work. Sometimes I find myself thinking that last season I did such an amazing job I brought players to a level that is not their level and, if this is true, I brought them to such a level where this season they couldn’t keep the super motivation to be leaders and champions. That is one possibility."
Did Trump say that

Mou won't get us in top 4 and be gone at the end of the season.
He’s a strange one Mou, he’s had a couple of spells at United where he seems to have ”taken off the handbrake” so to speak, and that’s been apparent again since the story of his imminent sacking broke.
Martial & Pogba now purring, Lukaku dropped and decent enough football. The worry is what happens if we get a few more good results on the bounce and then he returns to type.

Kapardin

Lots of reports that Conte hopes for the United job after Mourinho. Can't wait for him to go ballistic when Woodward leaks that he would have signed Varane for 100 million.

What's with the connection between us and Chelsea all the time, always getting their players and now manager(s)...

CantonaVeron

I think he should stay at least until the end of the season, a director of football must now be brought in and given time to put a plan in place and review which manager and players would be the best way forward. This will take time to be done properly, we need to stop reacting to disasters and follow a plan to put us back to the top, IMO Mourinho staying until the end of the season gives us time to develop that plan.

fellaini's barber

Well that's sort of bullshit because he had 2 cups in his first year and took us 2nd in his second year despite spending less than Conte and Pep. I'm not saying he's amazing in his time but he sure as hell doesn't give the impression you suggest.

You're evidently just upset that our football isn't entertaining in the first 2 seasons, but the truth is his style got us back on the map in seasons 1 and 2 so he's obviously good enough when looking at 1+2 seasons results.
His first year was good, we finished almost same place at City but the football was horrendous but it was his first season and we all felt we would improve from there.Next season we didn't even mount a title challenge. Since then we've gotten more players and have been getting progressively worse till date while everybody else have kept on improving, some with less resources and new managers. We don't look like we'll be challenging for shit this season either, so yeah he needs to go. Not to mention the constant moaning and digs at players at the club

Reddy Rederson

So apparently the papers are saying a dof won’t be brought in unless Jose agrees with the selection. If true, it’s just more damning evidence that the problem goes beyond the manager.

Roboc7

So. The plan is finding the next saf - gill combo? Now why havent we think of that.

While we're at it we should add the next johann cruyft as well.

Now where do we find them?
Never heard of Johan Cruyft so pass on that one.

You don’t look for the next Gill/SaF you just work out a way to adequately replace them, which we haven’t done so far and in all likelihood it will probably involve recruiting additional staff and having some form of plan other than appoint a new manager and expect everything to work out.

fellaini's barber

So apparently the papers are saying a dof won’t be brought in unless Jose agrees with the selection. If true, it’s just more damning evidence that the problem goes beyond the manager.
We have to run our DOF appointment by the man who we'll very likely be firing soon:lol:. So if Jose doesn't like our selection Manchester fecking United won't hire a dof?! You are really delusional. And you were telling off someone earlier for posting stuff from 'not confirmed' sources

George The Best

Sky reporting the club and Jose have today been discussing transfer targets for the next 2 windows - with the club willing to back him in the market, allegedly. If true it doesn’t look like he’s going anywhere soon.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
When have you ever heard a manager say his team was crap? Your as bad as the other guy. Red cafe the law firm. He said his team was gassed out and needed refreshing. Which is why they ended up as relegation fother apparently. But the magician that was Conte managed to get the same team plus kante and David Luiz (a player Mourinho deemed not valuable enough to keep) back to the title.

The signs are there it’s just History repeating itself. Do you need to get shot before you realise the man has a gun. I don’t get it. Look at David Luiz, that could easily be an Eric Bailly example.
I've addressed this. Conte was no more successful than Jose was during his tenure there so your argument just collapses on itself.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
His first year was good, we finished almost same place at City but the football was horrendous but it was his first season and we all felt we would improve from there.Next season we didn't even mount a title challenge. Since then we've gotten more players and have been getting progressively worse till date while everybody else have kept on improving, some with less resources and new managers. We don't look like we'll be challenging for shit this season either, so yeah he needs to go. Not to mention the constant moaning and digs at players at the club
And you expected a title challenge? City spent way more than anyone despite having a better squad than most the league to begin with. They were always going to run away with it.

As for how we've been since, its fecking October so chill out. We've had Fred as a first team joiner whilst City, Chelsea and Liverpool have introduced more.

fellaini's barber

And you expected a title challenge? City spent way more than anyone despite having a better squad than most the league to begin with. They were always going to run away with it.

As for how we've been since, its fecking October so chill out. We've had Fred as a first team joiner whilst City, Chelsea and Liverpool have introduced more.
Yes, we finished in almost similar places in his first season, bought similar number of players so yes I expected a challenge. So did everyone else till we collapsed and the excuses started coming out

Borden

Well that's sort of bullshit because he had 2 cups in his first year and took us 2nd in his second year despite spending less than Conte and Pep. I'm not saying he's amazing in his time but he sure as hell doesn't give the impression you suggest.

You're evidently just upset that our football isn't entertaining in the first 2 seasons, but the truth is his style got us back on the map in seasons 1 and 2 so he's obviously good enough when looking at 1+2 seasons results.
Yeah if you think a couple of tin cups and zero challenges for major trophies while playing shite football is good enough for a club like United, sure.

"Got us back on the map", please. We were a laughing stock then and we're a laughing stock now.

CA1

People saying the football was horrendous during the first season?

We played some great stuff at times with Zlatan up front. The problem was we couldn't finish our chances.

I remember a fair few games in 16/17 where we reigned on opponents goals at OT like we've not done since Fergie.

Zlatan made a massive difference for me, his finishing was actually average but the way he would conduct the front line by actually controlling the ball and getting others into play.

The Europa League we went more conservative but it was a means to end which ended successfully.

cheeky_backheel

We should blame Woody for giving Jose good wages now? Soon you lot will suggest we fire Woody for hiring Jose and keep Jose
if you feel jose is overpaid then the fault lies with the guy who decided to overpay. Afterall the implication is that we could have either got same quality quality at lower price or better manager for same price

Mainoldo

I've addressed this. Conte was no more successful than Jose was during his tenure there so your argument just collapses on itself.
Conte and Mourinho are not who I want managing this club. So I don’t get where my arguement collapses.

fellaini's barber

People saying the football was horrendous during the first season?

We played some great stuff at times with Zlatan up front. The problem was we couldn't finish our chances.

I remember a fair few games in 16/17 where we reigned on opponents goals at OT like we've not done since Fergie.

Zlatan made a massive difference for me, his finishing was actually average but the way he would conduct the front line by actually controlling the ball and getting others into play.

The Europa League we went more conservative but it was a means to end which ended successfully.
Our games against Celta Vigo was one of the worst football matches I've ever seen. The final was brutal too. But yeah we had some good games too

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yes, we finished in almost similar places in his first season, bought similar number of players so yes I expected a challenge. So did everyone else till we collapsed and the excuses started coming out
Pep came in with a world class striker, and world class midfielders to his disposal. Jose walked in with no striker, no proper midfield, daely blind at centre back. Sure enough they made a similar number of transfers but there was a gulf in quality between the personelle at the two clubs already existing.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Conte and Mourinho are not who I want managing this club. So I don’t get where my arguement collapses.
Then don't try and demean Jose at Chelsea by pointing to Conte's Chelsea career afterwards. It collapses because Conte failed at pretty much the exact point Jose did in their relative careers with the club.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yeah if you think a couple of tin cups and zero challenges for major trophies while playing shite football is good enough for a club like United, sure.

"Got us back on the map", please. We were a laughing stock then and we're a laughing stock now.
We finished what, 7th, 4th and 5th before he came. He won the Europa Cup to get us back in the Champions league before bringing us to 2nd with the best points tally since SAF and the best goal difference since him too. Yeah, that's pretty much back on the fecking map. I know you might hate him, but it's undeniable that under him we became relevant again.

CA1

Our games against Celta Vigo was one of the worst football matches I've ever seen. The final was brutal too. But yeah we had some good games too
Away leg was a well played 1-0. Second leg yeah we let them onto us far too much especially considering we got an early goal. But they were do or die games for us at the time, it wasn't just a trophy, it was for CL football. Our players were very nervy. The final was well executed, simple as that.

I come back to it time and time again but people on here overestimate our players both in their mental and techincal qualities. I think a lot of the time we say they didn't work hard or try etc is usually because they're anxious. If we do get a new manager, his first call would be to try and resolve that. Our players have been a nervous wreck since Fergie left, it has transferred to the supporters and now it's almost expected that things will be made difficult. The expectancy vs the quality of the player at our club is not even in my very honest opinion.

CA1

We finished what, 7th, 4th and 5th before he came. He won the Europa Cup to get us back in the Champions league before bringing us to 2nd with the best points tally since SAF and the best goal difference since him too. Yeah, that's pretty much back on the fecking map. I know you might hate him, but it's undeniable that under him we became relevant again.
The narrative of last season being shit is just bizarre. We've not even been close to 2nd in the 4 seasons previous. The media got to our fans. Liverpool will have an identical season this year in my opinion because they can't keep up with the ridiculous City pace just like we couldn't. Lets see the reaction they get.

fellaini's barber

Pep came in with a world class striker, and world class midfielders to his disposal. Jose walked in with no striker, no proper midfield, daely blind at centre back. Sure enough they made a similar number of transfers but there was a gulf in quality between the personelle at the two clubs already existing.
A gulf in quality which was not that evident in Peps first season? Plus we've still given Jose the resources to bridge that gap in quality, spending record fees on a striker and midfielder. Pep bought Ederson, Silva, Mendy, Walker, Danilo in his second season, Mendy and Danilo barely featuring in their season . We got Lukaku, Matic, Lindelof and later Sanchez. One team has gone on to win the EPL with record points total while one is still playing hoofball to Fellaini. Other teams who finished below us are now competing with City despite this 'gulf in quality' while we are looking worse off

CA1

A gulf in quality which was not that evident in Peps first season? Plus we've still given Jose the resources to bridge that gap in quality, spending record fees on a striker and midfielder. Pep bought Ederson, Silva, Mendy, Walker, Danilo in his second season, Mendy and Danilo barely featuring in their season . We got Lukaku, Matic, Lindelof and later Sanchez. One team has gone on to win the EPL with record points total while one is still playing hoofball to Fellaini. Other teams who finished below us are now competing with City despite this 'gulf in quality' while we are looking worse off
They're not. We were where they are last season.

City will finish miles ahead in front of all of them.

Borden

Yeah, because we were managed by a clueless clown and a past-it lunatic, they hardly set the standards high.

Zero title challenges and went out with a whimper against Sevilla in the CL. And we're all but out of the title race this season and could easily get eliminated from the CL in the group stage as well. And to top it off we play shite football. Not nearly good enough for Manchester United.

It's very deniable. I know you might love him, but we aren't any more relevant than we've been at any point since SAF retired.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Bottom line is progress. Last season could certainly be spun as progress. This season, not so much. He lives or dies by that narrative. If we're going backwards, he'll be gone.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Again, you're putting the entirety of transfer blame on Jose when there is an evidently shit scouting set up and lack of DoF at the club, but even noting your point, Pep was able to spunk £50m a pop on each of his defenders. His goalkeeper was more than Lindelof/Bailey IIRC. The level that Pep can afford to spend is far more than what Jose has, which is clear as day. Do you really think if Jose had City's resources he'd go in for Lindelof? Get out.

As for the bit in bold, as CA1 has already mentioned, City will likely run away with it again. It's fecking October, stop acting like you know who is and isn't in the title race because its far too early for that yet. The only side that's tipped to win the title ahead of City spent more than us anyway.

Yeah, because we were managed by a clueless clown and a past-it lunatic, they hardly set the standards high.

Zero title challenges and went out with a whimper against Sevilla in the CL. And we're all but out of the title race this season and could easily get eliminated from the CL in the group stage as well. And to top it off we play shite football. Not nearly good enough for Manchester United.

It's very deniable. I know you might love him, but we aren't any more relevant than we've been at any point since SAF retired.
I didn't ask why we finished there did I? The fact is, we did. We were pretty much lost side outside of Champions League and a terribly disjointed squad. Ageing, no striker, no proper defense and resting all hopes on a 20year old Frenchman and an 18 year old academy kid. Jose made some changes and took us back on the map, whether you like it or not.

Again, I don't really give a shit about Sevilla anymore. It was terrible and Jose is responsible, but it's 180 mins that doesn't outdo his managerial pedigree. This is another season and there's a lot yet to salvage so I'd rather back the manager and the team than act like a spoilt brat wanting change for the sake of change.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

And it is still quite early in the third. BUT. There are so many people who have absolutely made up their minds that Jose is 'not good enough' that I don't think anything will change their minds.

For some people things are very simple. Sack Jose and everything will be ok. Oh wait. What if the replacement doesn't improve things. Well, sack him as well and everything will be ok won't it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
And it is still quite early in the third. BUT. There are so many people who have absolutely made up their minds that Jose is 'not good enough' that I don't think anything will change their minds.

For some people things are very simple. Sack Jose and everything will be ok. Oh wait. What if the replacement doesn't improve things. Well, sack him as well and everything will be ok won't it.
They're either millennial fans with zero patience in the sport, or they just don't understand the sport.

ash_86

In before "I bet you wanted to give Moyes more time" comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.