The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

fellaini's barber

570m? What the feck? They spent €437M according to transfermarkt which is roughly 390m. This sky article says 411m. But nowhere near 570m and actually very comparable to what we spent. The difference is less than 20m. And, I repeat, Liverpool started off from a worse position and they had to sell their best player. We also pay far higher wages.

So the poor transfers are down to shit scouting and poor structure, we should point to the scouts and Woodward before pointing at Mourinho. To summarise: the poor football is because of the poor players and the poor players are the fault of the scouts and the board. So absolutely nothing is Mourinho's fault! I mean, he would probably agree with you but then the discussion is pointless.

Again, by that logic, we should never have fired Van Gaal. Yes, we played poor football but the players were crap and the scouts and Woodward didn't sign the right players for him! He knows his players, he was manager when Robben came in and made a mammoth difference to Bayern.
We could also borrow his logic that 75m of that was on just one player

WensleyMU

Why stop there, what about Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and Watford? They're all better than us of course obviously, can't expect poor Jose to be competing with these giants after spending a paltry ($459m,€360m)whatever
Liverpool £387million (0)**
City £546million (2)**
Chelsea £477million (2)*
Tottenham - £185million (0)**
Arsenal - £274million (0)
Watford - £152million (0)

In brackets is what they have won for the money. * indicates CL qualification.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
570m? What the feck? They spent €437M according to transfermarkt which is roughly 390m. This sky article says 411m. But nowhere near 570m and actually very comparable to what we spent. The difference is less than 20m. And, I repeat, Liverpool started off from a worse position and they had to sell their best player. We also pay far higher wages.

So the poor transfers are down to shit scouting and poor structure, we should point to the scouts and Woodward before pointing at Mourinho. To summarise: the poor football is because of the poor players and the poor players are the fault of the scouts and the board. So absolutely nothing is Mourinho's fault! I mean, he would probably agree with you but then the discussion is pointless.

Again, by that logic, we should never have fired Van Gaal. Yes, we played poor football but the players were crap and the scouts and Woodward didn't sign the right players for him! He knows his players, he was manager when Robben came in and made a mammoth difference to Bayern.
Apologies on the Klopp one I needed to filter by Liverpool.

Klopp - £393m
Jose - 334m
Pep - 599m (lol)

My point being, Jose hasn't spent shit loads compared to his peers and 40% of his spending is actually on two players, which actually points to a really shit infrastructure of identifying and buying talent more than anything else.

I never once implied Jose is free of all blame. I'm just saying there is shit loads more to it. I'm also against the idea that we are still playing poor. There are plenty of positives to take from our last 3 league games.

Please stop bringing LVG into it. He was sacked for finishing outside top 4. He's completely irrelevant to Jose right now.

Mainoldo

Klopp - £393m
Jose - 334m
Pep - 599m (lol)

My point being, Jose hasn't spent shit loads compared to his peers and 40% of his spending is actually on two players, which actually points to a really shit infrastructure of identifying and buying talent more than anything else.

I never once implied Jose is free of all blame. I'm just saying there is shit loads more to it. I'm also against the idea that we are still playing poor. There are plenty of positives to take from our last 3 league games.

Please stop bringing LVG into it. He was sacked for finishing outside top 4. He's completely irrelevant to Jose right now.
Why are you blaming infustructure for breaking transfer records. That would be like Barcelona moaning they could have got 3 players instead of throwing all that money at Coutinho.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
In last 3 seasons by transfermarkt( in euros).
City-600
Chelsea-530
United- 430
Liverpool-430

I am not suggesting anything. Just trying to clear that up.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Klopp - £393m
Jose - 334m
Pep - 599m (lol)

Why are you blaming infustructure for breaking transfer records. That would be like Barcelona moaning they could have got 3 players instead of throwing all that money at Coutinho.
Are you suggesting we haven't wasted money since Fergie left?

fellaini's barber

Liverpool £387million (0)**
City £546million (2)**
Chelsea £477million (2)*
Tottenham - £185million (0)**
Arsenal - £274million (0)
Watford - £152million (0)

In brackets is what they have won for the money. * indicates CL qualification.
Chelsea have spent $477 since Jose got here? Forget it, just stop quoting me, I'll do the same, your posts are just senseless.

Siorac

Klopp - £393m
Jose - 334m
Pep - 599m (lol)

You ALWAYS imply exactly that. You just offer empty platitudes that "there are things I'm unhappy with" but never say anything concrete. And you defend him in pretty much everything. Signings weren't his fault, poor performances are not his fault and they aren't even poor anymore. I expect the only thing you "blame" Mourinho for is that he didn't stand up and say "feck the Glazers and Woodward" in a press conference.

Also, it's not 334M, it's 388m. Seems like you didn't count Fred.

46% of Liverpool's spending is actually on only three players.

We are still playing poor. We got schooled by Juventus a week ago. No, please, don't tell me Juventus are better than us anyway and we expected a defeat, I know that. Still does not change the fact we played absolutely terrible, especially in the first half where we barely even got out of our own half and had 30% possession.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Chelsea have spent $477 since Jose got here? Forget it, just stop quoting me, I'll do the same, your posts are just senseless.
They spent 529m euros in last 3 seasons. To be fair, they sold players for 360mil euros. But to be more fair, Conte inherited Jose's squad with some top world class players. Many ways to look at it

dove

Actually yes they did. However I think these numbers don't include sales but Chelsea's sales are a bit fishy to say the least.

Siorac

They spent 529m euros in last 3 seasons. To be fair, they sold players for 360mil euros. But to be more fair, Conte inherited Jose's squad with some top world class players. Many ways to look at it
Which Mourinho had in 16th on the table.

Mainoldo

Are you suggesting we haven't wasted money since Fergie left?
Whether we have wasted it or not is not the problem. Clubs waste money all the time it doesn’t stop them from being successful. The real point is he’s had money to waste and a lot of money at that.

Stactix

Simply put, Jose could blame Woodward all he god damn wants, if he was up their fighting with City.
We're playing mostly terrible football, park the bus but conceding all the goals while other teams are playing much better football and are higher up the table.
Is our defence that much worse than Arsenals?
You guys are so flexible, bend over backwards for Mourinho.
I'd stick with Mourinho and even defend him if the football was bad but the results came and there was a chance of titles.

But I just don't understand, what's the point? All we're getting is inconsistent results, terrible football and more drama than the other 19 teams put together.
Imitating Arsenal or Spurs would be a god damn upgrade at this point.

Did Bournemonth spend 400mill in the summer or something?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
For me result is the main( if not only) thing. Since this season Jose had results. Finishing second behind that City is not maybe superb result but it is not for sacking.
Lets see results in May. If we win something and finish in top 4, he deserves 4th season. Season where he must be backed in transfer market at maximum but also in that season he must win PL( or CL)
If he fails in that, then i will vote for sack.

Mainoldo

For me result is the main( if not only) thing. Since this season Jose had results. Finishing second behind that City is not maybe superb result but it is not for sacking.
Lets see results in May. If we win something and finish in top 4, he deserves 4th season. Season where he must be backed in transfer market at maximum but also in that season he must win PL( or CL)
If he fails in that, then i will vote for sack.
Your crazy lol

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Your crazy lol
Objective. Look, i just think that he is the best guy for this job. And with 2 or maybe 3 more new players, he will win PL.
These 3 month were awful and i wasn't happy with Jose like many of you. But, i blame shit defence. We have 5 clowns in defence. Remember City in first season with Pep? They were also bad. But when Pep bought whole new defence, they destroyed whole PL. My main football moto is ; everything goes from defence.:)
Give Jose two world class defenders and it is different United.

Mainoldo

Objective. Look, i just think that he is the best guy for this job. And with 2 or maybe 3 more new players, he will win PL.
These 3 month were awful and i wasn't happy with Jose like many of you. But, i blame shit defence. We have 5 clowns in defence. Remember City in first season with Pep? They were also bad. But when Pep bought whole new defence, they destroyed whole PL. My main football moto is ; everything goes from defence.:)
Honestly as a Chelsea fan (I’m saying if you was) would you have given Conte this 3rd season? This is exactly what you are advocating by saying you would give Mourinho a 4th. He’s at the wrong club, i’d Rather he go and fix Madrid’s current mess. They have money to spend again... he will love it. Hopefully he comes for Lukaku.

tonnas

2 of the clowns in defence were brought by Jose, not to mention if the board back him up, Martial will be flourishing at Inter or Chelsea and Shaw at spurs.

redIndianDevil

Then some people need to stop acting like thier opinions are facts or worth more than others. That’s were the arguments are coming from. But if you believe something and want someone else to believe it to, it’s not out of order to ask how you came to that opinion or belief. Is it? If a person doesn’t care if someone else shares their belief then why all the aggro?
No one is posting facts here, everyone including you are posting their opinions, if you start asking where is the source or quote for every little thing to just win the argument, then there is no point in the forum at all. THe poster that gave his opinion regarding Martial, clearly explained how he came into that conclusion, instead of debating on those points you just wanted to him shut up and asked for a source which every one knows is unattainable.

Robbie Boy

Not really bad football in general. Good football against Watford, most of Chelsea, Burnley, Young Boys, Everton, Leicester, half of Newcastle are some examples.

It shows he is becoming more adventurous in his play. Last season people complained about his methods even though they got a good league position all things considered. This year he's changing the style more, but do you really think it comes swiftly without any hiccups? Are you really that naive?

Moaning about transfers is what we need. I'd rather get a Mou manager and take on the board to push for more spending.
This post exemplifies the absolute drop in standards and what some are now willing to accept and defend. Look at the majority of the teams you mentioned ffs; Chelsea just dicked Burnley away the weekend and Newcastle are utter shite and sitting bottom of the table (we scraped by them). A good half here and there is now acceptable? The mind boggles.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This post exemplifies the absolute drop in standards and what some are now willing to accept and defend. Look at the majority of the teams you mentioned ffs; Chelsea just dicked Burnley away the weekend and Newcastle are utter shite and sitting bottom of the table (we scraped by them). A good half here and there is now acceptable? The mind boggles.
No. But beating Newcastle, outplaying Burnley, Everton, deserving 3 points to Chelsea away and so on are signs of improvement.

redshaw

I am boring with this but people spin same posts after every game so i will join too.
Did Jose inherited squad which needed complete rebuilding? We all agree that post lvg squad had only 4 or 5 class, united level quality players?
Was first season (huge) success? 2 trophies. One european. 2 more than Guardiola who invested more in his squad which was already better than ours.
Was second season solid? Fa cup final plus second in PL behind City and Pep who invested huge again. So solid second season? Yes?
So all those hate is based on these 3 months of this season?

And yes, i agree, football in this season is not that good but we are improving. We had bad run of results and form but we are looking better now. Give him 2 more players who he wants and we will challenge City.

Edit; @Siorac . Yes. I always rated Mourinho. But i am not Jose fan in this case. I am a fan of world class United manager for whom i think that he is doing very good job here. I rated Lvg before he came here. When i saw that he is not doing good job anymore, i voted for "sack him now".
If we miss top 4 are you still for Jose to stay?

Robbie Boy

No. But beating Newcastle, outplaying Burnley, Everton, deserving 3 points to Chelsea away and so on are signs of improvement.
The only sign of actual improvement was a spell against Chelsea. The rest are games we absolutely should be winning every day of the week. No idea what game you saw the weekend but I found nothing impressive about beating Everton or the manner in which we done it. We played ok, that's about it. You also conveniently left out the Juventus game.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
2 of the clowns in defence were brought by Jose, not to mention if the board back him up, Martial will be flourishing at Inter or Chelsea and Shaw at spurs.
Again that thing about defenders. He made a mistake. So what? At least he knows that he was wrong. Every manager has bad transfers. Should Klopp stick with Klavan and Karius? Pep with Bravo and Nolito? Nobody is saying that he will add one or two defenders on those that he has. If he sells 2 dc for 60 mil, can he get one new then?

Rolaholic

Being in 8th place during a start of the season where multiple teams are in the title race is a sign of improvement now?

RedorDead21

Why would Jose want his payers to play well in the second half only or vice versa? Thats on the players jesus they need some self respect and stop hiding behind a manager who they play amazing for.....for 20 mins in the second half....and like garbage the rest of the game.....! Jose voices his annoyance of those facts in poor ways in public but after watching some players do it for months and months I'm not surprised. Look how standards have dropped with this club with fans pandering to players playing well below their own standards over a manager calling them out as shi*e for doing so.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Being in 8th place during a start of the season where multiple teams are in the title race is a sign of improvement now?

Do you bother to read my posts? We went from being a side that can't beat West Ham or Brighton to now putting away the sides we are expected to.

Whether you want to admit it or not it's improvement in form. I never once said we are where we should be.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The only sign of actual improvement was a spell against Chelsea. The rest are games we absolutely should be winning every day of the week. No idea what game you saw the weekend but I found nothing impressive about beating Everton or the manner in which we done it. We played ok, that's about it. You also conveniently left out the Juventus game.
Bullshit. Since the second half of Newcastle to our final whistle against Everton we were looking much improved domestically when compared to the form up to the West Ham game.

I haven't conveniently left out shit. I'm talking about our domestic chances in the top 4 race. I always have.

Robbie Boy

Bullshit. Since the second half of Newcastle to our final whistle against Everton we were looking much improved domestically when compared to the form up to the West Ham game.

I haven't conveniently left out shit. I'm talking about our domestic chances in the top 4 race. I always have.
Ah right, so you will leave out the Juve performance to suit your agenda. Fair enough. Maybe you've been blown away by our performances in those games but I haven't.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ah right, so you will leave out the Juve performance to suit your agenda. Fair enough. Maybe you've been blown away by our performances in those games but I haven't.
What fecking agenda? I was talking about how our league position can be turned around. It has nothing to do with Juventus whatsoever.

Oh dear we had 30% for half the game against Juve at home in a match we lost 1-0. Let's sack our manager. Caf gone to tits :lol:

Aloysius's Back 3

Back when we were the most consistent & successful team in the UK - a lot of the fans of the other teams would call a lot of our fans 'glory hunters'.

I never really got that & thought it was pure jealousy - which it probably was- but I am seeing it much more clearly now.

Success & trophies are more important to some fans rather than the club progressing themselves bit by bit to a more consistent level of capability.

The fact is Jose at United should adapt his game & his management to the standards of Manchester United - he is being hired to manage the players we already have, utilise things like our youth team, whilst keeping a level of stability & respect at a club that is viewed by millions over the world.

Many fans were very eager for him to take over LVG even though they were at two opposite sides of the spectrum - all because he had the ability to purely win a trophy or two during a traditional 3 year tenure. We skipped the whole trying to let an assistant manager take over the manager after 3 years attempt (giggs & LVG) fall apart because for a need of glory; fair play to that.

Now I am seeing in his 3 years - after winning some marginal trophies that people want to continue with Jose - even though we hardly have a game plan, we hardly get the best out of our players, we hardly control a game even against relegation fiddlers, we play like the underdogs, better players are left out unfairly for people who are merely taller & stronger - the list goes on.

And yet - fans want him to continue.. For what? To win an odd trophy? That to me is a glory hunter - putting all our clubs understanding & expectations of football in a bin just so we can scrape a trophy by winning a game 1-0 on the counterattack with players that are about to retire.

The fact is a traditional Jose team has a very short lifespan & constantly involves players that only suit Jose & not anyone else after. Whilst players like - Matic, Lukaku, Aldeweireld, Sanchez, perisic, Willian & Mcguire- May have the ability to win a title; the chances are mininal in my opinion because whilst such a team could have won in pre - 2014 - playing football in such a robust way is nowhere near good enough anymore due to the level of competition that is spread through out all of the league. Also the fact that alpt of these players are near 30 or more is down right a very short term view on football & as proven so far this season; younger players have been able to up their game when needed more so than expected. These players if they did win a title - would only be able to do so for a year or two max before degrading as we have already seen with Matic & Sanchez.

So what do we do? Continue & just abandon the clubs philosophy for the chance to win an odd lucky title just to feel like a big club again for 12 months or so? Or do we try to build something consistent that may take more time & may take 2 steps back to make 5 steps forward. I know what I want & that's not just merely changing anything of United philosophy to just hunt for glory.

Jose has finally attempted to bend his tactics & his footballing choices towards that of Manchester United In his third season - you could argue that's because he has given up on properly managing this team in his own very strict regime. However whilst the results & the trophies are not there - when we do play good; we play good as we ever did under Jose. That's because the manager has done things the United way for once whilst previously he would go by the philosophy of Chelsea & the numerous other clubs he managed who were under dogs in their league needing success in anyway that came fit.

Robbie Boy

What fecking agenda? I was talking about how our league position can be turned around. It has nothing to do with Juventus whatsoever.

Oh dear we had 30% for half the game against Juve at home in a match we lost 1-0. Let's sack our manager. Caf gone to tits :lol:
Righteo.

Mainoldo

That is a sackable offence if ever I’ve seen one. Especially with the team he has. It pretty much got the latest Madrid manager the sack.

Status
Not open for further replies.