The Mueller Report

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Q: "Could you charge the president with a crime after he left office?"
Mueller: "Yes."
Q: "You believe you could charge the president of the United States with obstruction of justice after he left office?"

--------------

Q: "The reason, again, that you did not indict Donald Trump is because of the OLC opinion stating that you cannot indict a sitting president, correct?"
Mueller: "That is correct."

ManUtd1999

He did better in the last 30 minutes or so, but it wasn't a good testimony. I'm not disappointed because, as I said yesterday, I had no expectations.

Comparing this guy to Ken Starr is laughable.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He did better in the last 30 minutes or so, but it wasn't a good testimony. I'm not disappointed because, as I said yesterday, I had no expectations.

Comparing this guy to Ken Starr is laughable.
That's because Ken Starr was a partisan hack. It's the equivalent of switching Mueller out for Barr.

ManUtd1999

That's because Ken Starr was a partisan hack. It's the equivalent of switching Mueller out for Barr.
So, a republican investigates a democrat president and a republican investigates a republican president?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Politics shouldn’t come into the law. That’s the problem though with everyone having to identify as a Republican or Democrat. Daft way of trying to operate a legal system.
It's entrenched in the American psyche. We've seen it time and time again in other aspects of US culture such as the police judiciary system and how they campaign for black, female, latino etc. votes. Lines seem to be so clearly defined over there.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
It's entrenched in the American psyche. We've seen it time and time again in other aspects of US culture such as the police judiciary system and how they campaign for black, female, latino etc. votes. Lines seem to be so clearly defined over there.
That’s why it doesn’t work well. Surprised they haven’t cottoned on yet.

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
Am I right to assume that if Trump had the ability to shut up and not go totally mastertwat all over twitter, among other places, on a daily basis the report would most likely have faded out since Mueller didn't find any hard evidence of criminal conduct regarding Russian interference? Most of the focus seems to be on him obstructing justice on numerous occasions.

Red Defence

Am I right to assume that if Trump had the ability to shut up and not go totally mastertwat all over twitter, among other places, on a daily basis the report would most likely have faded out since Mueller didn't find any hard evidence of criminal conduct regarding Russian interference? Most of the focus seems to be on him obstructing justice on numerous occasions.
No.

ManUtd1999

Maybe, but I'm not sure:
1. His approach made at least 40% of the country have doubts about ANY results of the report.
2. His approach, in my view, was one reason for why he and his son were not interviewed by Mueller.
3. His approach made him look like a victim, and that has galvanized his base and republicans in Congress: "He's frustrated, and that's why he did what he did".

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
Can’t answer that whilst this testimony is ongoing.
Fair enough.

Maybe, but I'm not sure:
1. His approach made at least 40% of the country have doubts about ANY results of the report.
2. His approach, in my view, was one reason for why he and his son were not interviewed by Mueller.
3. His approach made him look like a victim, and that has galvanized his base and republicans in Congress: "He's frustrated, and that's why he did what he did".
Makes sense.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Q: "Could you charge the president with a crime after he left office?"
Q: "You believe you could charge the president of the United States with obstruction of justice after he left office?"

--------------

Q: "The reason, again, that you did not indict Donald Trump is because of the OLC opinion stating that you cannot indict a sitting president, correct?"
Mueller: "That is correct."
Fixing my post after Mueller withdraws this response.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Why do you think he redacted that comment?
I think it's because that would imply he had reached the conclusion that Trump had committed a crime - this would contradict his report. In the report it pointedly said that Mueller had not reached any determination on the President's guilt or innocence.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Why do you think he redacted that comment?
He was responding to both of those questions as general questions of law. He just means the DOJ can charge a president with a crime (such as obstruction of justice) after the end of his presidency, and the DOJ can't charge the president with a crime while on office based on the OLC opinion. Not that he personally can charge Trump for obstruction of justice after the end of this presidency, and he would've indicted him now if not for that one factor.

He's been clear for the beginning he's just going to repackage what was in the report and he made both of those points clearly in the report. This is just a political spectacle, which he's forced to partake in purely to prevent a different political spectacle.

ChaddyP

I find myself ignoring the dems and waiting for the republicans to further make trump look bad

Red Defence

He is a bit more of a ditherer than I thought he would be.
He’s apparently someone who doesn’t like wafflers and likes people to “get to the point”. If they are to the point and specific he answers immediately. When they waffle on he seems to get a little irritated and ends up asking them to repeat the question, partly because he wants a more specific question and partly because he doesn’t want to listen to the “speech” they’re determined to make. He’s here to answer questions and he doesn’t like being part of their agenda or rudeness.