The natural successor: Has Neymar blown it?

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Ligue 1 provides some of the best center backs in europe every year, it's not a great league offensively but from a defensive standpoint, comparing it to MLS is totally absurd, that's a ridiculous point to make.
It's like americans bragging about their universities and mocking others, while american universities take the best students from all over the world to boost their reputation (especially in Science).

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
It's like americans bragging about their universities and mocking others, while american universities take the best students from all over the world to boost their reputation (especially in Science).
Yeah, go ask Saliba if he thinks he wasn't playing football when he came back to Ligue 1 last season. He's now an undisputed starter in the 2nd best defense in the PL.

Nero

Think that goal is getting slightly overhyped. He played a one-two and then rounded the keeper. What was so jaw-dropping about it?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Think that goal is getting slightly overhyped. He played a one-two and then rounded the keeper. What was so jaw-dropping about it?
Most of great goals can be described in such fashion. The ability to slow down and let the keeper simply slide by before executing a finish... at this point of the game, giving the stakes... is certainly worth praising for.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The two one-two's and then the composure in a critical game to go round the goalkeeper and score. Its a good goal

Idxomer

He really didn't do anything right except the goal, didn't help them at all retaining the ball in the 2nd half of extra time.

Kazi

This World Cup was his get out of jail card to put him amongst the elite.. so yes he may have blown it

dinostar77

Neymar, the almost man again. For all his talent, he is never going to win a world cup or a balon dor. Why wait for the glory penalty?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He will never ever win a Ballon D'or. This WC is supposed to be his best chance.

So that's the Neymar Brazil era over most likely, and you can sum it up as you can his career. At its best never quite good enough to reach the top, at its worst downright laughable.

dinostar77

It was a superb goal. Fair play to him. Not a good performance overall though. I just don’t see why so many people think he’s right up there with the very best. Always been a level below for me.
Agreed. I rate Romario, ronaldinho and original ronaldo much higher.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
He should be picking up the ball come the elimination penalty. Granted Tite should also have the foresight to say to him that the first elimination penalty is his. But I think he should be taking initiative there.

KeanoMagicHat

It’s not Neymar’s fault this time but he’s had enough chances. Unfair but small margins.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He should be picking up the ball come the elimination penalty. Granted Tite should also have the foresight to say to him that the first elimination penalty is his. But I think he should be taking initiative there.
Are you allowed to change the orders of the takers after the shootout has begun? Genuine question. How do penalty shootouts work in the professional game? Do you give a list to the officials or is it a bit more laissez-faire?

Sanchez7

Great goal but looked unfit. It’s a shame because he had a very strong start to the season with PSG but couldn’t quite recover from the injury in the first game.

Overall, clearly a supreme talent but lacked the discipline to get to the levels of Messi and CR. His best chance now is to win the CL for PSG.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Neymar constantly looks like he’s going through withdrawal… or he’s not sure what country he woke up in.

redIndianDevil

Why the feck are senior players not having the balls to take the first penalty? Why couldn't Neymar take the first one? I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have allowed Rodrygo a shot if Brazil earned a penalty during the match. The manager has to be the most idiotic to allow it as well.

redIndianDevil

Are you allowed to change the orders of the takers after the shootout has begun? Genuine question. How do penalty shootouts work in the professional game? Do you give a list to the officials or is it a bit more laissez-faire?
The camera showed a form that someone was filling, so I guess you have to give the order beforehand.

RedDevilQuebecois

Stupid saving yourself for a late penalty. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
Indeed. Someone with his level of shooting experience has to go either first or third, but no further than that. But instead, he shies away from the task the same way the senior England players at the last Euro and Arjen Robben did before him.

In any case, this is where my final 2 cents stand about his career and all the hype about him becoming the next big thing: