Television The Office, US Version

Oggmonster

Yeah that's the one probably one of the best bits of the last couple of series.

The mockumentary bit also falls apart when you consider that no channel is commissioning a show that requires seemingly 24/7 filming, in multiple locations, over the best part of a decade, so that at the end of that decade they can put out a single series of it.
Yep and they'd definitely be watching it earlier thinking they'd struck gold and air it sooner!

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Didn't Andy leave to do a movie, The Hangover? I get the feeling the writer's were bitter and dragged his character through the mud because of that. His character was literally chasing fame.

lsd

The Oracle
Didn't Andy leave to do a movie, The Hangover? I get the feeling the writer's were bitter and dragged his character through the mud because of that. His character was literally chasing fame.

Seems like the writers and a lot of the cast members. Stupid like they are all in the same business and would have chopped of an arm for starring in huge films.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Seems like the writers and a lot of the cast members. Stupid like they are all in the same business and would have chopped of an arm for starring in huge films.
Funnily enough, I think only Jim, Kelly and probably Erin have been big successes after the show. I can't even remember seeing Pam and Dwight in anything big. Although the main cast probably don't need to work with the money they made from the show.

lsd

The Oracle
Funnily enough, I think only Jim, Kelly and probably Erin have been big successes after the show. I can't even remember seeing Pam and Dwight in anything big. Although the main cast probably don't need to work with the money they made from the show.

Must be a bit difficult when you are only associated with one role as I think they were all unknown before they got cast in the office.

Kelly and BJ will always be fine as they are writers and can direct

Creed seems to do a lot of live performances and at least three of them do podcasts based on the show. I'm sure that must bring in some money too but doesn't help if they want to get work outside those roles.

Quite surprised the actor who played Dwight doesn't get more work

Sweet Square

Must be a bit difficult when you are only associated with one role as I think they were all unknown before they got cast in the office.

Creed seems to do a lot of live performances and at least three of them do podcasts based on the show. I'm sure that must bring in some money too but doesn't help if they want to get work outside those roles.

I'm pretty sure the guy is in a ton of stuff, at one point he even had his own tv show. Have no idea how good most of his work is apart Juno and Super which are both really good.

Sweet Square

Super was massively underrated, it's very funny and dark in parts.
It's really mean spirited and nasty, some the funniest parts are just the main two characters laughing at people getting seriously hurt. It's great. I love how the film is like what if we had super heroes in real everyday life and the answer is the heroes would care more about disfiguring someone who keyed their car than protecting the general public. Frank murdering and hurting all those people to rescue his wife only for her to leave months later because of course she would as his is insane, is such a perfect ending.

Also that ''sex'' scene is still very unconformable to watch.

LoneStar

One of the best shows ever. Everything till season 5 was amazing. For me Michael was the office, anything after season 7 doesn't exist :wenger:

Season 1-5 was a masterpiece.

lsd

The Oracle
One of the best shows ever. Everything till season 5 was amazing. For me Michael was the office, anything after season 7 doesn't exist :wenger:

Season 1-5 was a masterpiece.

No surprise that Greg Daniels left after season 5 and only came back in the final season to try and fix some of the mistakes made in his absence

lsd

The Oracle
I agree with the consensus that Jim is a bit of a knob, but I think after trying to paint him as the super good guy for a few seasons, the show became aware that he's a dick. Charles Miner having none of his shit was probably the start. I like the bit when they visit the pre-school, and the guy there verbally bitchslaps Jim and Pam when he says "maybe you're not as charming as you think you are". That sums up their whole story arc. I think Dwight becomes more likable after this period too, particularly once the Dwight/Andy/Angela affair is out of the way.

Pam is more likable than Jim overall for me, but I thought the episode where she gets a new job and a payrise illegitimately was a strange turn for her character. I think it's a major plothole of the whole mockumentary gimmick too, since she goes through the whole - fraudulent - process infront of the camera crew. Though the mocumentary set-up really starts to crumble after the first 2-3 seasons anyway. Plot holes galore.

There was the episode with Danny too where they couldn't seem to understand that he just wasn't into Pam and found her kinda dorky.

Jim in particular seemed really offended like there was someone cooler than him and who didn't like the same things he did

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
There was the episode with Danny too where they couldn't seem to understand that he just wasn't into Pam and found her kinda dorky.

Jim in particular seemed really offended like there was someone cooler than him and who didn't like the same things he did
I'd forgotten about that bit. That's a bit of an annoying sub-plot. It was just so needy and weird.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
It's really mean spirited and nasty, some the funniest parts are just the main two characters laughing at people getting seriously hurt. It's great. I love how the film is like what if we had super heroes in real everyday life and the answer is the heroes would care more about disfiguring someone who keyed their car than protecting the general public. Frank murdering and hurting all those people to rescue his wife only for her to leave months later because of course she would as his is insane, is such a perfect ending.

Also that ''sex'' scene is still very unconformable to watch.
It is funny where they mangle that guy's legs and twat the guy for pushing in the queue. It's true though, there's no way most people would be incorruptible. noble warriors if they were superheroes, they'd just be the same petty, vindictive bastards they always were, just more dangerous with it.

I've not seen it in a while- I can't actually remember the sex scene, maybe I blanked it out.

lsd

The Oracle
It is funny where they mangle that guy's legs and twat the guy for pushing in the queue. It's true though, there's no way most people would be incorruptible. noble warriors if they were superheroes, they'd just be the same petty, vindictive bastards they always were, just more dangerous with it.

I've not seen it in a while- I can't actually remember the sex scene, maybe I blanked it out.

Can you quit with superhero rubbish. Absolutely nothing to do with the show

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Can you quit with superhero rubbish. Absolutely nothing to do with the show
I think you hate superheroes more than anybody in the world. My laptop screen actually starts bubbling when I scroll past your posts about them.

lsd

The Oracle
I think you hate superheroes more than anybody in the world. My laptop screen actually starts bubbling when I scroll past your posts about them.

It's on a par with threads that go off topic then mix the two together and I explode

Sweet Square

Frank for like 90% of time doesn't want to take part and is sort of getting forced into but also kinda of likes it. It very odd but works with the rest of the film.

''It's all gushy'' is a great line

It's on a par with threads that go off topic then mix the two together and I explode

Last edited:

Sylar

I've watched up to Michael Scott leaving. It's been great up until this point

Think two seasons left but seen Raymond reddington get introduced towards the end and somehow becoming CEO?.

Given how old this is, it's so strange seeing now the number of people trying out for manager role and the careers the actors have gone on to have

LoneStar

Think two seasons left but seen Raymond reddington get introduced towards the end and somehow becoming CEO?.

Given how old this is, it's so strange seeing now the number of people trying out for manager role and the careers the actors have gone on to have
For me, it falls off a cliff after Michael leaves. It's still fun sometimes, but the character development and the plots are basically abandoned after this.

There's a video on YouTube of various actors trying for the role of Michael Scott initially. It's crazy the careers some have gone to have since then - Seth Rogen, Bob Odenkirk, Adam Scott among them. https://youtube.com/shorts/LFly1s1u0yw?feature=share

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
For me, it falls off a cliff after Michael leaves. It's still fun sometimes, but the character development and the plots are basically abandoned after this.

There's a video on YouTube of various actors trying for the role of Michael Scott initially. It's crazy the careers some have gone to have since then - Seth Rogen, Bob Odenkirk, Adam Scott among them. https://youtube.com/shorts/LFly1s1u0yw?feature=share
Did Ole try out then? :lol:

lsd

The Oracle

I think the likes of Jim Carrey was just doing a cameo at that point.

The audition tapes are amazing and proof of what a great job the casting people did as there were some great actors that did not get those parts and you have to say they got the right people for the right roles.

Although we could have had Asian Jim for real

Matthew84!

I've watched it all the way through on multiple occasions and I still really enjoy it.
The first 2 seasons were just sticking to what happened in the British version and after had alot more freedom with their characters.
Dwight in my opinion was the funniest, the episode where he cuts the face off the CPR dummy always makes me crack up.
I agree with a few that the last few seasons were abit iffy.
One of my fav bits of Andy is when he's trying to get fired and he craps on David Wallaces car, only get to see Davids face at the end but still made me laugh.
I think it ended at the right time, even if I would of liked a spin off about schrute farms.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus

Pretty sure the guy who played Kevin is the highest-paid celeb on that site where you can pay famous people to give messages and shoutouts.

I always got the impression the Dwight actor was possibly a bit of a nob in real life. John Krasinski, on the other hand, I have no uncertainty definitely is a bit of a nob in real life

Sylar

:lol:
I really was expecting to click that and see a bunch of the actors who tried out. Instead I got "Ole'd"

Also watching this current season, Creed is still awesome. Robert California, im not sure wht to make of his character yet.
But Andy, they are trying to make him a bit OTT, like a michael lite as boss. Maybe im thinking that cos MIchael isnt there, but it does seem like his character has been dialed up a bit.

LoneStar

I really was expecting to click that and see a bunch of the actors who tried out. Instead I got "Ole'd"

Also watching this current season, Creed is still awesome. Robert California, im not sure wht to make of his character yet.
But Andy, they are trying to make him a bit OTT, like a michael lite as boss. Maybe im thinking that cos MIchael isnt there, but it does seem like his character has been dialed up a bit.
Wait, that was not intended. I legit had the YT video link. Is there some other way to post YT links on here?

decorativeed

I'd say Mindy Kaling would be classed as a big success based on what she's done since The Office ended.

lsd

The Oracle
I'd say Mindy Kaling would be classed as a big success based on what she's done since The Office ended.

Been watching the Mindy Project finishing season 2 now and really good so far although I've read it goes to pieces later on.

She will be fine though as she is really a writer same as BJ Novak

Last edited:

Superunknown

I'm making my way through this. I've seen up until the end of Season 7 a while back, but I've decided to start again and am now close-ish to the same point where I stopped. (just got up to Season 7 Episode 4)

My favourite sub-plot is Michael's irrational hatred for Toby. :lol:

decorativeed

Been watching the Mindy Project finishing season 2 now and really good so far although I've read it goes to process later on.

She will be fine though as she is really a writer same as BJ Novak
Yeah, I've just started season 2 myself. One thing me and my wife have been asking ourselves: Are Mindy's boyfriends all supposed to be awful? Is that the joke, or does she actually think they are good guys and we are supposed to also?

Wittmann45

Man, what they did to Andy was a big part of the reason why the series went downhill, imo

He began as an over the top angry/annoying character that was good for a laugh every episode, they grew him into a naive but competent, caring and sympathetic manager, ala Michael Scott (his best qualities). That would have been a fine end to his character development and I think those episodes were great and the best post-Michael Scott era of the series. Instead, they brought him back from that boat trip as a selfish asshole who has no redeeming qualities

There is also a pretty good YouTube video out there that points out how the writers tried but failed to turn him into a Michael Scott clone of sorts without the charm. One of the things pointed out is that Andy began the series as an articulate character with an Ivy League education that cared far too deeply about appearing intelligent and ending up misreading words like "chlamydia" because that type of joke had once worked for Michael Scott

They turned Andy into a bad copy of Michael Scott devoid of the redeeming qualities. Only thing worse was turning Kevin into a buffoon that could barely function; all for cheap laughs. The downfall of the Office reminds me of what happened to the Simpsons

lsd

The Oracle
Man, what they did to Andy was a big part of the reason why the series went downhill, imo

He began as an over the top angry/annoying character that was good for a laugh every episode, they grew him into a naive but competent, caring and sympathetic manager, ala Michael Scott (his best qualities). That would have been a fine end to his character development and I think those episodes were great and the best post-Michael Scott era of the series. Instead, they brought him back from that boat trip as a selfish asshole who has no redeeming qualities

There is also a pretty good YouTube video out there that points out how the writers tried but failed to turn him into a Michael Scott clone of sorts without the charm. One of the things pointed out is that Andy began the series as an articulate character with an Ivy League education that cared far too deeply about appearing intelligent and ending up misreading words like "chlamydia" because that type of joke had once worked for Michael Scott

They turned Andy into a bad copy of Michael Scott devoid of the redeeming qualities. Only thing worse was turning Kevin into a buffoon that could barely function; all for cheap laughs. The downfall of the Office reminds me of what happened to the Simpsons

Different writers unfortunately in the later seasons. Once Michael Schur left and then Mindy and BJ too many new writers came in with their own ideas and were allowed to do what they want.

Ed was being punished for the crime of doing movies and gaving to take time away. I did read when they enticed Shur back for the last season to try and fix it as they knew they messed up too much he wanted to make Ed the central character and become pretty much Michael Scott but had to change that because of his time away and instead gave him a few redeeming moments but it was too late.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Rewatching this after first watching it about 5 years ago. I don't remember Jim being this insufferable, especially as the seasons go on.