The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Mayweather is the perfect boxer. Nearly all the punches Alvarez threw caught him on the arm or shoulder and just picked him off with lightening hand speed and accuracy. Alvarez was made to look amateurish as he tried his best to get involved in a brawl . He's young and will come again, but this time he was outclassed by a boxer in every sense of the word .

Mayweather is a strong GOAT candidate.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
I don't give a shite about his record, tbf. The point I'm making is that everyone hyped him up and Mayweather made him look like a novice chump.

I get what you are saying but believe me Canelo is an exceptional young boxer, its just that he met possibly the best pure boxer ever to lace up in the shape of Mayweather. Weight difference aside if Mayweather can take 1 year out of boxing and come back and make a fighter of Juan Marquez class look similarly amateurish then its no disgrace to Canelo how pedestrian he looked last night. He simply met a legendary fighter.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I will never understand why people think Khan is deserving of a fight against Mayweather. Floyd will just take the piss for 12 rounds against him.
I think it would be great to watch, Khan can actually match Floyd for speed so it would be entertaining

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
He can match him for speed but nothing else. Khan is vastly overrated.
He's not overrated at all, very few people rate him and the issues with his chin are well publicised and overemphasised if anything by the casual fan.

Point is though you're underestimating how good the fight would be. Khan is always entertaining and his clear weakness isn't something Mayweather is stylistically set up to exploit. I think Khan would force Mayweather to come out of his defensive shell more than he normally has to, because Khan has the speed to tag him.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
He's not overrated at all, very few people rate him and the issues with his chin are well publicised and overemphasised if anything by the casual fan.

Point is though you're underestimating how good the fight would be. Khan is always entertaining and his clear weakness isn't something Mayweather is stylistically set up to exploit. I think Khan would force Mayweather to come out of his defensive shell more than he normally has to, because Khan has the speed to tag him.
I don't see any way that Khan can win. Floyd will find a way to avoid Khan's offence, despite the hand speed. I certainly can't see Khan hurting him. Floyd will either pick Khan apart from his typical defensive style or, if he absolutely had to, come out and box Khan, taking him apart.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I don't see any way that Khan can win. Floyd will find a way to avoid Khan's offence, despite the hand speed. I certainly can't see Khan hurting him. Floyd will either pick Khan apart from his typical defensive style or, if he absolutely had to, come out and box Khan, taking him apart.
Yeah I agree definitely, can't see Khan winning either.

What I think (hope) will happen though is your second point - come out of that defensive style and out box him. If that happens it would just be a brilliant fight.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I'll be watching it with the usual lot I watch the fights with, probably splitting the cost between us. What they charging for it?

Most pubs show Haye's fights also.

Should be on at a decent time I guess being in the UK. The ads are saying £14.95 if you sign up now so am guessing it might shoot up to £20 on the night. I've paid for far too many of these on the night and been fleeced, paying full price.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
I don't think Groves splitting with Booth before this one bodes well for him, especially when you hear stories that Froch has knocked him out in sparing a couple of year ago.

I see a comfortable Froch stoppage inside 5 rounds.

TheReligion

Abusive
Nice! Who do you want to win and who do you think will win? I'm on the fence on who I'd like to win, but I reckon Froch will have too much and Groves won't be able to live with the intensity.
Yeah looking forward to it mate. I think Froch too, he's got the bit between his teeth since he came back. Think it will be a good fight though. Anyone know about the undercard yet? It's Eddie Hearn promoting so usually decent. Crolla perhaps?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Yeah looking forward to it mate. I think Froch too, he's got the bit between his teeth since he came back. Think it will be a good fight though. Anyone know about the undercard yet? It's Eddie Hearn promoting so usually decent. Crolla perhaps?
Crolla was one name mentioned by Hearn already. Should be a decent undercard.

Also, gutted about the Haye fight. Was really looking forward to that one.

Widnes

Decent fight card tonight, got to give credit to the Smith brothers 3 of them holding the British title and the other a English Champion. Callum Smith looks phenomenal and one of the top talents in boxing now, 6 consecutive first round wins is a very impressive record.

Leg-End

What a load of pap.

Have to wonder what is going on with this really.
Like what? Dude's cut his eye open sparring, pretty simple he can't fight. The chance of this being a "cut me Mick" moment to dodge the fight temporarily are slim to none.

TheReligion

Abusive
Like what? Dude's cut his eye open sparring, pretty simple he can't fight. The chance of this being a "cut me Mick" moment to dodge the fight temporarily are slim to none.
The heavy sparring should be done by now. A week from a fight and he should be wrapped in cotton wool!

Silly and unnecessary.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
The heavy sparring should be done by now. A week from a fight and he should be wrapped in cotton wool!

Silly and unnecessary.

You can never tell whether you have a light sparing session but have an overzealous sparing partner who makes a mistake and doesn't pull his punches properly.

I can't see any reason why Haye wouldn't want to dispose of Fury ASAP and get onto the serious business of fighting top level opponents.

TheReligion

Abusive
You can never tell whether you have a light sparing session but have an overzealous sparing partner who makes a mistake and doesn't pull his punches properly.

I can't see any reason why Haye wouldn't want to dispose of Fury ASAP and get onto the serious business of fighting top level opponents.
Agreed, but surely his partners should be selected with that in, mind

I'm just not impressed with the carelessness so close to a fight.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Agreed, but surely his partners should be selected with that in, mind

I'm just not impressed with the carelessness so close to a fight.

I'm not impressed either to be honest, as you said he should have been wrapped in cotton wool but mistakes do happen. Haye also does cut quite easily above the left eye as I can remember him doing so on quite a few occasions such as the Fragomeni fight. So although careless it does sound plausible.

Widnes

Steve Bunce saying Peter Fury & Chisora in his studio for tonight's boxing hour show and to expect a big announcement. Would be interesting if that's a rematch because I would consider that a huge gamble by Fury as if he was to lose which I think would be very possible he would be losing a massive £5m pay day.

Having said that I would still favour Fury to win if it happens again but still very much a gamble if that's the route he takes.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Very impressive win by Adonis Stevenson. Confident and powerful fighter, got nice speed as well. This was a very efficient and easy win.

Other than the heavyweight division, I have no clue about what weight class boxers are in. So, I may be completely wrong to suggest this, but I'd like to see Stevenson go against Andre Ward.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Very impressive win by Adonis Stevenson. Confident and powerful fighter, got nice speed as well. This was a very efficient and easy win.

Other than the heavyweight division, I have no clue about what weight class boxers are in. So, I may be completely wrong to suggest this, but I'd like to see Stevenson go against Andre Ward.
He's fighting Tony Bellew I think next

On Ward - Stevenson used to fight at Super-Middleweight which is Ward's class so he shouldn't have trouble making the weight/a set catch weight, and he's actually smaller than Ward as well.

Widnes

it is a good call, Ward is super middleweight & Stevenson has moved up from there to light Heavy but I fully expect Ward to move up sometime soon.

Decotron

Saw this article earlier.....its such a poor "Top 10" when you look at it.

Not Clever for Brits

Our boxing expert Derek Bilton brings you his latest British P4P rankings after a bad month for domestic fighters.

Nathan Cleverly lost his unbeaten record with defeat against Sergey Kovalev.

It's been a depressing few weeks on the British beat with the sport left reeling from news that the heavyweight duel between Tyson Fury and David Haye has been postponed due to the latter picking up six stitches in one of his final sparring sessions.

The scrapping of the bill also means that Scott Quigg will have to wait for his world title chance with his WBA world super-bantamweight shot set for the same bill also falling through as a result.
Happily the Haye v Fury fight has been rescheduled for February 8, giving both protagonists a few extra weeks to polish both their hyperbole and their combinations.

Nathan Cleverly lost his unbeaten record and his WBO world light-heavyweight title when he was bombed out by Russian powerhouse Sergey Kovalev in Cardiff.

Clev never got into the fight and the writing was on the wall after he was twice dumped on his rump in the third round of their bout. The end came a round later and on this evidence Kovalev certainly looks the real deal.

Elsewhere, Ricky Burns put in another uninspiring shift but somehow managed to retain his WBO lightweight title against Raymundo Beltran. Burns suffered a broken jaw in round two and was dropped in round eight, held for much of the fight (without being deducted a point) but still managed to claim a draw amid silence at the Scottish Exhibition Centre in Glasgow.

Make no mistake Beltran, a boxing nearly man who has given his heart and soul to the sport down the years, won the fight. It was his night. But 'they' took it from him and frankly the judge who gave it to Burns by three rounds at the end should surely never officiate at the top level again.
Add to all that the sudden death of famed trainer, matchmaker and manager Dean Powell and it's clear that the noble art on these shores has enjoyed happier times.

One ray of sunshine amidst all the gloom however has to be the latest performance of Billy Joe Saunders. The 24-year-old edged a close and often thrilling battle with big domestic rival John Ryder at the Copper Box Arena recently.

Both men left it all in the ring and their reputations were enhanced as a result but it was Saunders who got on the nod via a close but unanimous decision. He's not the most hurtful puncher in the world but Saunders is fit, game, busy and has massive cojones. The win leaves him one win away from making history by becoming the first Traveller to win a Lonsdale belt outright.

On the same bill Saunders' former Olympic team-mate Frankie Gavin was underlining just why he's being touted as a future world star as he cruised to victory against David Barnes.

Gavin, who stopped Denton Vassell last time out, won at a canter against Barnes and showed glimpses as to why Frank Warren sees the Birmingham stylist as a world champion in waiting.
Britain's only world amateur champion is now 16-0 and having secured a Lonsdale belt outright with his latest win can now plot a route into Europe and beyond.

Sportinglife.com pound-for-pound British top 10:
1 Carl Froch
2 David Haye
3 Kell Brook
4 Amir Khan
5 Scott Quigg
6 Carl Frampton
7 Ricky Burns
8 Tyson Fury
9 Nathan Cleverly
10 George Groves