The RedCafe Boxing Thread

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
The stoppage was a little harsh he should have given a standing 8 count, however there was one occasion earlier where Weeks had to Tell Kovalev to face toward Ward earlier as he almost turned his back to him so it would have looked to him like a fighter gassed trying to find his way out of a fight especially after the big right he took to the chin later in the same round.

As for the "low" blows I don't see a single one hitting the cup, only two or three that hit the belt line so I'm not sure how much illegal damage they could have actually have done to Kov to make him look so much like he was looking for a way out, you can create an argument that Weeks shouldn't have let ward steam in and separated for an eight count slightly earlier but Kov looked on his way out judging by his body language, heavy breathing and holding.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The amassed bodywork took its toll, but the 6-7 lowblows had no impact on Kovalev´s energy or concentration. :lol:

Why don´t you wake the missus and tell her to punch you in the balls six times in quick succession as hard as she can and then you come back to post her within 30 seconds of it.
If you've got testicles by your navel, you've got bigger problems than boxing to tend to!

Hitting on the waistband isn't illegal and Ward went nowhere near the cup. 6-7 times, ffs! I guarantee if Kovalev had been hit even once with a proper low blow he would've gone apeshit in protest. Fighters don't brush off low blows - there's always a reaction; either they're incensed or they're in severe pain. Kovalev was clearly looking for an out via the ref because he was gassed. If he was hurt by a low blow he would have stalled properly, even turning his back if he had to and he wouldn't have surrendered without protest at the end either.

ALL I've heard from Kovalev is excuses, he makes a point of saying he didn't hurt me but we can see other wise. He was shattered, didn't want it
When will people finally give Ward his due?
It will be endless. Ward getting no credit for dismantling him and even Kovalev refusing to give him the credit he deserves when he knows he was a beaten man a couple of rounds before he quit.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
If you've got testicles by your navel, you've got bigger problems than boxing to tend to!

Hitting on the waistband isn't illegal and Ward went nowhere near the cup. 6-7 times, ffs! I guarantee if Kovalev had been hit even once with a proper low blow he would've gone apeshit in protest. Fighters don't brush off low blows - there's always a reaction; either they're incensed or they're in severe pain. Kovalev was clearly looking for an out via the ref because he was gassed. If he was hurt by a low blow he would have stalled properly, even turning his back if he had to and he wouldn't have surrendered without protest at the end either.

It will be endless. Ward getting no credit for dismantling him and even Kovalev refusing to give him the credit he deserves when he knows he was a beaten man a couple of rounds before he quit.
It's incessant, he won't give him credit for a single thing, if you believe Kovalev he destroyed him in both fights, Ward landed nothing and he only lost because the ref/judges/he gassed out. Ward being a top top fighter has absolutely nothing to do with it

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Andre Ward showing he is the master of working dirty tactics in his favour, yet again. That's not actually a criticism either. It's a real skill and he is the best at it in the business.

He does also have that Mayweather factor of always getting the scoring his way in close contests and rounds too. He should have lost the first fight. It was his Mayweather-Castillo 1 moment.

Kovalev was definitely hurt to the chin which was fascinating to see. The low blows were repetitive, illegal and clearly had the largest effect on the fight. There were no penalties in sight from a ref that was biased to the home fighter from the start ("I got you champ" was said multiple times a la Floyd fights).

The stoppage was obviously the wrong call and should be the subject of an inquest and possible no contest decision reversal.

However... I think this fight would have gone Ward's way (most likely on points) had there been no low blows. Ward was getting outworked with the jab but he was also still competitive down from 4 onwards was being effective with his work. Kovalev's freshest work was using jabs - that shows everything you need to know about Ward's skill set. That forecast would have levelled it 1-1 in a fair world. Not to be, of course and I doubt we'll see another.

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It's incessant, he won't give him credit for a single thing, if you believe Kovalev he destroyed him in both fights, Ward landed nothing and he only lost because the ref/judges/he gassed out. Ward being a top top fighter has absolutely nothing to do with it
That's what's adding fuel to the fire; that Kovalev won't give Ward an ounce of credit.

The man practically sits down on the ropes and then says he could've carried on.
Andre Ward showing he is the master of working dirty tactics in his favour, yet again. That's not actually a criticism either. It's a real skill and he is the best at it in the business.

He does also have that Mayweather factor of always getting the scoring his way in close contests and rounds too. He should have lost the first fight. It was his Mayweather-Castillo 1 moment.

Kovalev was definitely hurt to the chin which was fascinating to see. The low blows were repetitive, illegal and clearly had the largest effect on the fight. There were no penalties in sight from a ref that was biased to the home fighter from the start ("I got you champ" was said multiple times a la Floyd fights).

The stoppage was obviously the wrong call and should be the subject of an inquest and possible no contest decision reversal.

However... I think this fight would have gone Ward's way (most likely on points) had there been no low blows. Ward was getting outworked with the jab but he was also still competitive down from 4 onwards was being effective with his work. Kovalev's freshest work was using jabs - that shows everything you need to know about Ward's skill set. That forecast would have levelled it 1-1 in a fair world. Not to be, of course and I doubt we'll see another.
Ridiculous.

I actually would like to concede that I'm wrong on these alleged low blows, so when the gifs arrive, I'll gladly hold my hands up if those shots aren't legit.

SambaBoy

That big right stunned Kovalev, and Ward might have finished him in that round, however without the low blows Kov may have survived to the bell and come back into that fight. It was basically that one punch that changed the momentum, I had Kov up by 1 going into that round although he was gassing in earlier rounds.

Ward says he may go upto to Cruiserweight now, can't really see many challenges for him there unless he takes on one of the Eastern Europeans? Should fight Stevenson at LHW next, be a cracking fight.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I actually thought they were low blows at the time but Kovalev's reaction showed to me they probably weren't. He was like half-heartedly acting upset by the decision.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Agree with this.

Utdstar01

The one just before the stoppage was an obvious low blow. Whether that would've changed anything though, who knows.

T_Model101

I still can't understand why this was waved off.
Kovalev was being held up by the ropes at the end, then surely that's a knockdown...?

RedFish

Kovalev just didn't have an answer to Ward's dirty tactics which ultimately earned him the stoppage. Kov was obviously hurt from the low blow, and Ward took advantage with that right hand in the 8th. Not only that, the final couple of shots before Weeks stepped in looked low too.

I had Ward marginally ahead (4-3) going into the 8th round but crucially he had all the momentum. (I gave Kov rounds 1-3, Wards 4-7. I thought he (Ward) landed the more deliberate and cleaner shots. Most of these rounds were close, but Kovalev couldn't fight his fight, because Ward outfoxed him and his growing frustration was all too evident.

Not happy, but overall Ward had the edge this time. Oh well.

Last edited:

starman

:lol:

The people supporting the stoppage. You need a lesson in anatomy.
The referee should have atleast given Kovalev a count if he thought the punches were legit

cyberman

:lol:

The people supporting the stoppage. You need a lesson in anatomy.
The referee should have atleast given Kovalev a count if he thought the punches were legit
Why a count? He didn't fall.
The ref can't jump in when a fighter is getting destroyed on the feet, if he steps in its over. You cant stop Ward from finishing him off

starman

Why a count? He didn't fall.
The ref can't jump in when a fighter is getting destroyed on the feet, if he steps in its over. You cant stop Ward from finishing him off
The rope stopped him from falling. He was sitting on it

Yup destroyed on his feet from low blows..

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
The rope stopped him from falling. He was sitting on it

Yup destroyed on his feet from low blows..

Tbf to Weeks Kovalev did this to himself, he was trying to con the ref claiming the bodyshots were low so if they were, Weeks weren't hearing it.
His own fault
:lol::rolleyes:

Gotta give the nickname crew some props.

S.O.G. - Son of Golota

Cracked me the feck up.

Weeks was pathetic. I mean he looks fecking straight at all three low-blows, from the gif angle. Then he just stops the fight. Combined with the 3-4 clean low-blows he "missed" earlier, it´s hard to not supsect shady stuff. :wenger:

Zen

I'm all in on the Floyd Farce after that joke finish.......but Nelson was completely right, you counter dirtyness with your own dirtyness, end of. Kovalev shows a lot of inexperience oddly. Even not taking a knee....

But Ward to end Bellew end of year if he's serious about going up.....but does Bellew truly deserve that fight?

T_Model101

Tbf to Weeks Kovalev did this to himself, he was trying to con the ref claiming the bodyshots were low so if they were, Weeks weren't hearing it.
His own fault
Whether he was trying to convince the ref or not, your point is valid.
Protect yourself at all times, you can't be crying to the ref at every opportunity for him to help you out.
Although saying that, John David Jackson or whoever runs Kov's corner should have been shouting at the ref non stop about constant low shots

JustFootballFan

Supports
Liverpool
I'm all in on the Floyd Farce after that joke finish.......but Nelson was completely right, you counter dirtyness with your own dirtyness, end of. Kovalev shows a lot of inexperience oddly. Even not taking a knee....

But Ward to end Bellew end of year if he's serious about going up.....but does Bellew truly deserve that fight?
That´s just a bunch of stupid punditry. Why even have a referee then, if you can do whatever you want? And who says that Weeks wouldn´t have DQ´d Kovalev or deducted points given the seemingly biased job he did. As close as the fight was 1-2 point deductions would have screwed him on the cards.

JustFootballFan

Supports
Liverpool
Whether he was trying to convince the ref or not, your point is valid.
Protect yourself at all times, you can't be crying to the ref at every opportunity for him to help you out.
Although saying that, John David Jackson or whoever runs Kov's corner should have been shouting at the ref non stop about constant low shots
Now I finally understand why they call Ward- Son of God. It´s cause God didn´t give humans a third arm to protect themselves from Ward´s low-blows. Only two hands to protect their head and two elbows to protect their body. Very clever nickname.

starman

You did say if he thought the shots were legitimate though.
What? Not sure what you are trying to get at. If this happened in the center of the ring, it would have been a knockdown, as Kovalev would have taken a knee. The ropes were preventing him touching down, hence why the ref should have gave him a count, even if the blow was illegal

Last edited:

starman

Id like to see the other 2 shots before that, if they were low as well its DQ territory for me, that shot alone should have got him points deduction not a fecking TKO
With all the demand for video replays in other sports, there is no reason it cant be also in Boxing. The powers above could rule it a no contest or DQ in favour of Kovalev but it will never happen, as there is so much corrupt

cyberman

a bit strange that he claims he's been unjustly criticised then admits he made a major feckup like that.

FC Ronaldo

The fight still doesn't beat this for the most ridiculous finish.

Nor does it beat this for refereeing ineptitude. The video below includes a cheat meter that goes to 25 separate illegal infringements and Al Bernstein losing his shit live on air.

FC Ronaldo

Carl Fampton liked this.