g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Bojan11

And horn came out in the 10th and probably won that round, he had at least 5 of the first 6 rounds in my books.

Can't believe the yanks had pac up after 4 when he had done nothing.
Like I said, Horn did a lot of huffing and puffing. That doesn't mean you win the round unless you actually land shots. Pacquiao wasn't great but he was landing.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Standard Top Rank in-house controversy. We have a new Timothy Bradley series here.

Kazi

Regardless of the decision, Manny is done. He used to eat these sort of boxers for breakfast. Now that he's lost his physical advantages, he's been having to outbox guys the last few times out and he's just no longer the same fighter.

Last edited:

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Just seen the fight - what the feck was that scoring :houllier:

Oggmonster

Regardless of the decision, Manny is done. He used to eat these sort of boxers for breakfast. Now that he's lost his physical advantages, he's been having to outbox guys the last few times out and he's just no longer the same fighter.
Yeah agreed. Don't get me wrong he won the fight comfortably but it's obvious he is done as the boxer he was he hasn't got the speed anymore whch gave him the huge advantage. Even if he won on points I'd think the same thing as Kazi points out these would of been easy fights a few years ago.

Inter Yer Nan

Pacquaio is lucky he wasn't in there with Terence Crawford. He was very open a few times. He'd have been laid out by 'Bud'. Too bad, I was hoping that Crawford would get that opportunity after the Indongo fight to help raise his profile and gain more mainstream exposure.

FC Ronaldo

Great performance from Josh Taylor (& Shane
McGuigan's tactics) there to serve Eddie Hearn a large slice of humble pie on Ch5 as he stops Ohara Davies.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Eubank looks like he's packing a lot of power here. A different specimen to the fighter who lost to BJS, but I don't rate him at world level and don't see him ever getting there.

By which I mean caliber of opponent, not belt or ranking (IBO).

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Very unconvincing win from Eubank Jnr.

Despite all his huff and puff against what was virtually a static punching bag, he never got close to knocking Abrahams out. He just did not have the guile to find a way through and looks to be fighting in too heavy a weight category.

Very unconvincing for the future. GGG would have him as would Canello.

Respect to the 37 year old Abrahams for taking so many punches without too much bother - a very hard middle aged man!

Last edited:

RedFish

Despite all his huff and puff against what was virtually a static punching bag, he never got close to knocking Abrahams out. He just did not have the guile to find a way through and looks to be fighting in too heavy a weight category.

Very unconvincing for the future. GGG would have him as would canello.

Respect to the 37 year old Abrahams for taking so many punches without too much bother - a very hard middle aged man!
Yeah, he's a natural middleweight and lacks concussive power.

I think he'd have trouble with anyone a bit unorthodox like Degale for instance. Decent up and down fighter I suppose, and has a fluid style but not on a the level of a Linares , although that's an unfair comparison...GGG would destroy him.

Last edited:

Claymore

Very unconvincing for the future. GGG would have him as would Canello.

WOW, could you put down Eubank any more mate? That bit at the end you added in about middle aged man just had me looooling.

It was a good dominant display against a seasoned pro who's seen it all. He stepped up and it was easy, barely a mark on him, throwing lovely shots all night. Now he (apparently, if his dad doesn't mess it up) enters the 8 tournament, which funily enough is like the one Abraham was in with Froch, Ward, Kessler, Taylor, Dirrell.

I think Eubank Jr should be ahead of where he is, he should have a proper main 4 belt yes, he should and would under more Hearn time have been massive, but even with his control freak dad arguing with all of the worlds tv companies and promoters, he is slowly and surely getting there. He's quality to watch, big punch or not. Even if he doesn't have 1 punch knockout power, we've seen just how dangerous getting in the ring to your health can be!!!

Eubank might look flashy but he just throws inefficient arm punches all night.
That put you in a coma and ruin your lifelong hobbie/career/dream..... yep. Arm punches lol.

He might never be lineal champ of all the major belts, who know's, but he has some damn boxing skills, is good to watch and clearly puts the hard work in to his training.

Utdstar01

WOW, could you put down Eubank any more mate? That bit at the end you added in about middle aged man just had me looooling.

It was a good dominant display against a seasoned pro who's seen it all. He stepped up and it was easy, barely a mark on him, throwing lovely shots all night. Now he (apparently, if his dad doesn't mess it up) enters the 8 tournament, which funily enough is like the one Abraham was in with Froch, Ward, Kessler, Taylor, Dirrell.

I think Eubank Jr should be ahead of where he is, he should have a proper main 4 belt yes, he should and would under more Hearn time have been massive, but even with his control freak dad arguing with all of the worlds tv companies and promoters, he is slowly and surely getting there. He's quality to watch, big punch or not. Even if he doesn't have 1 punch knockout power, we've seen just how dangerous getting in the ring to your health can be!!!

That put you in a coma and ruin your lifelong hobbie/career/dream..... yep. Arm punches lol.

He might never be lineal champ of all the major belts, who know's, but he has some damn boxing skills, is good to watch and clearly puts the hard work in to his training.
Agreed. He's not the smallest puncher though by any means, 19 of his 25 victories have come by way of knockout. Abraham has always had a rock solid chin and many a fighter have failed to get him out of there so nothing to be ashamed of at all.

El General 1994

Agreed. He's not the smallest puncher though by any means, 19 of his 25 victories have come by way of knockout. Abraham has always had a rock solid chin and many a fighter have failed to get him out of there so nothing to be ashamed of at all.
Yep. Abraham has never been stopped and he's fought some top fighters.

I'm a fan of Eubank Jr and I hope he does well.

Oggmonster

So what you're saying is you're a fan.
:lol:

Agree with the sentiment others say re Eubank, he has potential to be really good and does show signs of it.

Where using the Eubank name in the past has no doubt got him some opportunities and I'm sure his Dad helped in the early days ever since he's got the exposure he's been a hinderence at times. Eubank is someone who could be a world champion and even a box office fighter if he was promoted by someone like Hearn. It sounds like Eubank Sr is an absolute nightmare to deal with though which won't help his sons career at all.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Eubank Jr. is a work in progress and he's getting better with each bout. He has a lot of holes in his game at the moment and he gets clipped far too often for someone who likes a showboat and wants to toy with opponents. Having said that, he takes a shot well (thanks to his father's genes) and he responds in kind when caught with what is probably his actual level (when pushed) before dropping down a gear or two again.

Until he goes up against some serious competition who can match him for speed and have guile and ring craft, we won't really get to see what he's capable of.

I always feel he is in the shadow of his father and hasn't found his own way in the ring yet, too. His showmanship and playing to the crowd looks forced and awkward and is disconnected from his actual style, and he's going to have to cut that out once he goes up a level in terms of opponent.

Lastly, theoretically, his father should be an able corner man having been a world class boxer himself, but his lack of articulation and inability to be swift and succinct with his communication is going to be a big problem once Jr. is in there with someone who's nuances and tactical acumen require round-by-round countering. He'll find out that he needs a new trainer once that happens to him because, as a coach, his dad will be out of his depth unless he suddenly turns into the second coming of Dundee, D'Amato, Roach, Steward or some such and gives out the kind of advice he seems absolutely incapable of conveying.

Oggmonster

Eubank Jr. is a work in progress and he's getting better with each bout. He has a lot of holes in his game at the moment and he gets clipped far too often for someone who likes a showboat and wants to toy with opponents. Having said that, he takes a shot well (thanks to his father's genes) and he responds in kind when caught with what is probably his actual level (when pushed) before dropping down a gear or two again.

Until he goes up against some serious competition who can match him for speed and have guile and ring craft, we won't really get to see what he's capable of.

I always feel he is in the shadow of his father and hasn't found his own way in the ring yet, too. His showmanship and playing to the crowd looks forced and awkward and is disconnected from his actual style, and he's going to have to cut that out once he goes up a level in terms of opponent.

Lastly, theoretically, his father should be an able corner man having been a world class boxer himself, but his lack of articulation and inability to be swift and succinct with his communication is going to be a big problem once Jr. is in there with someone who's nuances and tactical acumen require round-by-round countering. He'll find out that he needs a new trainer once that happens to him because, as a coach, his dad will be out of his depth unless he suddenly turns into the second coming of Dundee, D'Amato, Roach, Steward or some such and gives out the kind of advice he seems absolutely incapable of conveying.
I think his Dad being unable to be his corner man stems from the fact he is quite clearly desperate for attention all the time. Even when his son is fighting he needs to make it about him, from stupid dancing at weigh ins to constantly posing for the camera during the fight. Everything he does is for a show as he has always loved that celebrity lifestyle and that doesn't really seem like a good fit to be a corner man for a boxer. Further proof is the Nick Blackwell fiasco when they tried turning the whole "punch to the body" stuff about being worried about his well being when really it was cos they thought it was the best way to stop the fight.

Eubank Jr has all the potential in the world and he does have his Dad to thank for a lot of that but the benefit of his career his Dad really needs to take a back seat, not even be in the corner at all just watch it from the crowd and his son will reap the rewards. Unfortunately whilst there's a photo opportunity or a camera on him EUbank Sr is incapable of doing that.

FC Ronaldo

Thought that was the best CEj looked tbh. There was less showmanship (there's always going to be some) than in any other fight and he stayed focused on the task, paced himself very well, maintained excellent concentration with it and visibly hurt Abraham on a couple of occasions. Concession that AA isn't what he used to be but he's also not THAT much different i.e. it wasn't entirely a token up and comer vs named opponent on the way down gig.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I think his Dad being unable to be his corner man stems from the fact he is quite clearly desperate for attention all the time. Even when his son is fighting he needs to make it about him, from stupid dancing at weigh ins to constantly posing for the camera during the fight. Everything he does is for a show as he has always loved that celebrity lifestyle and that doesn't really seem like a good fit to be a corner man for a boxer. Further proof is the Nick Blackwell fiasco when they tried turning the whole "punch to the body" stuff about being worried about his well being when really it was cos they thought it was the best way to stop the fight.

Eubank Jr has all the potential in the world and he does have his Dad to thank for a lot of that but the benefit of his career his Dad really needs to take a back seat, not even be in the corner at all just watch it from the crowd and his son will reap the rewards. Unfortunately whilst there's a photo opportunity or a camera on him EUbank Sr is incapable of doing that.
The living vicariously through his son thing is real, however, I do believe he remains in his corner because if he's ever in trouble, he will instantly pull him from the fight, probably much to his son's fury. Sr. has mentioned McClellan and Watson, and no doubt would have Watson in the back of his mind if ever triggered by his son being in a ring war. I wouldn't dispute that Eubank Sr. loves the limelight and will grab it whenever he can, but I think his primary reason he is a corner man is because he believes he will protect his son in a way nobody else would.. I just think that will backfire as he goes up to a higher pedigree of fighter and all that well-meaning stuff will actually put his son in harm's way rather than protect him.

Thought that was the best CEj looked tbh. There was less showmanship (there's always going to be some) than in any other fight and he stayed focused on the task, paced himself very well, maintained excellent concentration with it and visibly hurt Abraham on a couple of occasions. Concession that AA isn't what he used to be but he's also not THAT much different i.e. it wasn't entirely a token up and comer vs named opponent on the way down gig.
He got caught with a big shot in one of the later rounds that saw him respond with the most ferocious flurry of the entire fight. He had no reason to get caught with that shot in the first place and I thought it was yet another display of his poor concentration and need to show out in a way that's not natural to him. He cannot keep being so lax because eventually he'll get sparked, and for no good reason being as it's sloppiness rather than ability letting him down.