The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Inter Yer Nan

Absolutely, total psychopath. Just watching him can get dizzying sometimes. He moves all around and hits you from every conceivable angle and level. Ridiculously good on his feet. What a fighter!!

Are you looking forward to Golovkin vs Canelo? What thoughts?
Very much so. I think Golovkin will win. I think Canelo will be competitive, but not really that close to winning. Either late stoppage or 116-112 decision in a very high skilled shootout.

Verbalkint

Very much so. I think Golovkin will win. I think Canelo will be competitive, but not really that close to winning. Either late stoppage or 116-112 decision in a very high skilled shootout.
Good call! I think GGG will wear him down, and it'll go the distance. Don't see either winning by KO. In any case, it's going to be a hell of a fight :)

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Good decision to retire. Even though he lost, he contributed to a great fight & I doubt he would've performed better in a rematch. A very good boxer & I respected the way he behaved in the lead-up to fights too.

Red_Aaron

I think it's the right decision but it's a shame as the first was such a brilliant spectacle I'd have loved to see it again, especially in Vegas. I do think AJ would've made much lighter work of him though

The defeat was in many ways one of the best performances of his career too, it's a shame he reigned during such a poor period in the HW division, his record largely flatters to deceive but i suppose you can only beat what's in front of you - a fate i suspect AJ will suffer with too by the end of his career.

A true gent of the sport and you can't help but wish him all the best

Inter Yer Nan

Was never a fan of his in the ring due to a boring style (I hate the jab and clinch Andre Ward style of Boxing but at least he scored KO's), but outside the ropes he was always classy and conducted himself always as a gentleman and a champion. He covered himself in glory with the Joshua fight and I think showed the class of the man that he didn't just take the re-match for the payday and cheat the public. He obviously gave a lot in that fight and could have just fought to survive or a quick blowout defeat but kept his professional pride and dignity intact.

On the all-time Heavyweight rankings I'd rank him somewhere around 15.

Inter Yer Nan

Juan Manuel Marquez finally made his retirement official. My favorite fighter of all-time and one of the modern greats. Had the pleasure of seeing him fight live 11 times (including that KO) and met him a few times. Pure class inside and outside the ropes.

RedFish

Juan Manuel Marquez finally made his retirement official. My favorite fighter of all-time and one of the modern greats. Had the pleasure of seeing him fight live 11 times (including that KO) and met him a few times. Pure class inside and outside the ropes.
A legend of the ring. One tough, tough motherfecker. Those fights v Pacquiao stick out in the memory, who is coincidentally my favourite fighter of all-time. Got to see your hero 11 times - that's not bad going fella!

Inter Yer Nan

A legend of the ring. One tough, tough motherfecker. Those fights v Pacquiao stick out in the memory, who is coincidentally my favourite fighter of all-time. Got to see your hero 11 times - that's not bad going fella!
Both guys were immense and great for the sport. What a rivalry and a sporting one at that. No fake press conferences, crass shit talk or any of that nonsense. Two class acts.

Cheers, yeah I got to see the following of Marquez fights (in chronological order) Barrera, Pacquaio II, Casamayor, Diaz I, Mayweather, Diaz II, Katsidis, Pacquaio III, Pacquaio IV, Bradley, Alvarado.

Inter Yer Nan

Sounds like Joshua has to fight Ortiz first?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/40824231

Heard good things about Ortiz - could he beat Joshua?
I think he could based on his performances from around 18-24 months ago but he's looked a little disinterested and flat lately, but that's normal given that he just wants a big fight now. I'd confidently bet on him to beat Wilder pretty easily, but I'd favor Joshua, but it's probably the hardest fight for AJ in the division.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Utter domination from Loma, no surprise.

Inter Yer Nan

Dazzling from Lomachenko. Marriaga is a good fighter too. He gave Oscar Valdez a very good fight earlier this year. Lomachenko is just on a different level and makes good/very good fighters look ordinary.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Dazzling from Lomachenko. Marriaga is a good fighter too. He gave Oscar Valdez a very good fight earlier this year. Lomachenko is just on a different level and makes good/very good fighters look ordinary.
He needs to fight a world class fighter next. Hasn't done that yet imo. He's a great fighter but he fights good-to-decent opponents. Needs to step up.

RedFish

Lomachenko patting Marriaga on the head was something else.

Bring on Oscar Salido and avenge that 'loss'.
That was hilarious:lol:

He's not arsed about Salido, it's clear he's moved on from that fight and that he's just on a different level to basically everyone. If only Crawford was in his weight class as he's the only one on a similar technical level as 'High Tech'.

Inter Yer Nan

That was hilarious:lol:

He's not arsed about Salido, it's clear he's moved on from that fight and that he's just on a different level to basically everyone. If only Crawford was in his weight class as he's the only one on a similar technical level as 'High Tech'.
Yeah, Salido at this point is just using Lomachenko's name to stay relevant and try to get a payday elsewhere. Loma would trounce him worse than Sosa, Marriaga.

Crawford and Lomachenko are head and shoulders the top 2 for me currently. I met Crawford at the weigh-in the other day. Nice enough bloke, but shy/quiet. He may have a hard time crossing over as a star because he's not Mr.Personality. Lomachenko seems a bit more playful and I think will be a big star.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Russell is a World class fighter just doesn't fight that often. Walters is also an excellent fighter who was basically the next best guy in the division.
Still, should fight Rigo or someone of that class next. Russell and Walters aren't on that level.

Oggmonster

Still, should fight Rigo or someone of that class next. Russell and Walters aren't on that level.
I agree. Don't get me wrong he's clearly a very good fighter but it's the same reservations I have against people like GGG. They've never been in with elite opposition (obviously this changes next month with GGG)