The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Come on guys this fight deserves a thread of its own. It shouldn't get lost in the boxing thread.

History will be made in whoever wins the fight will be the first person to hold all four heavyweight belts at the same time.

Usyk - WBA, IBF, WBO
Fury - WBC

Who will win? Both undefeated as well.
Either man can cement their place in history If Usyk wins then there’s even a big argument for him being the GOAT. I just feel that with Fury’s boxing ability he’ll be too big for Usyk, but only if Fury’s managed to train himself in shape.

Glorio

Almost here!
By the way Fury really doesn't look that much taller than Usyk, not convinced he's 6:9 as he claims

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don't know why I thought this was later. Feels like it's crept up this week. What time's it on UK?

LDUred

Genuine question, not trying to piss off his fans.

Mike Tyson seems to get plenty of love and admiration online. Why does his rape conviction not get brought up as much in comparison to other celebrities who have similar troubled histories?

Is it how long it was ago, the fact that he's served time for it etc.?

Genuinely curious.
It's about boxing ability. Height-wise the guy is very short for a heavyweight, and yet he had people legitimately scared of him. I can only think of David Tua who had Mike's height and reach and who reached a high level. Tua was also very powerful, but he didn't have the fear factor Mike had.

It's one thing to be a good heavyweight at his height, it's another thing to be so powerful and quick.

I just think when people see a guy with ordinary height just smoking big dudes, it inspires a kind of awe. Mikey T was a special boxer.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I like Usyk. Does he have a real chance?
A year or so ago I'd have Tyson as a strong favourite. But his last fight against Ngannou has brought a lot of questions, mainly around how he performed so poorly. An off day? Did he not take it seriously enough? Or is he just getting past his best?

I think it'll be an intriguing fight, and if he is just getting past his best then there's a good chance for Usyk.

The one aspect that gets overlooked in amongst all of this is that Usyk himself should have had an L himself against Dubois, where he was far from impressive.

All of these questions just add to the intrigue. I'm a big fan of Fury and I'm hoping he's at his best and gets the job done. He looks like he's in good shape so hopefully that's a good sign that he's took it seriously. I do have that nagging doubt though after his last fight. Somebody ran the stats against Ngannou and his output in terms of feints, foot movement, punches etc was way below the usual from him.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
A year or so ago I'd have Tyson as a strong favourite. But his last fight against Ngannou has brought a lot of questions, mainly around how he performed so poorly. An off day? Did he not take it seriously enough? Or is he just getting past his best?

I think it'll be an intriguing fight, and if he is just getting past his best then there's a good chance for Usyk.

The one aspect that gets overlooked in amongst all of this is that Usyk himself should have had an L himself against Dubois, where he was far from impressive.

All of these questions just add to the intrigue. I'm a big fan of Fury and I'm hoping he's at his best and gets the job done. He looks like he's in good shape so hopefully that's a good sign that he's took it seriously. I do have that nagging doubt though after his last fight. Somebody ran the stats against Ngannou and his output in terms of feints, foot movement, punches etc was way below the usual from him.
I agree in regards to I have no idea what Fury turns up. He looks a lot fitter than the last fight but that was so very bad I'm not sure he can step up again.

Maybe his best bet is to try and pretend he is fighting Wilder again and just go for it.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town

Thank you. I've been getting hyped recently as I've been involved in some of the Sky Sports promotions for the fight and it's getting me giddy. Gonna use that free box office Sky benefit to watch this one for sure!

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I agree in regards to I have no idea what Fury turns up. He looks a lot fitter than the last fight but that was so very bad I'm not sure he can step up again.

Maybe his best bet is to try and pretend he is fighting Wilder again and just go for it.
Yeah that's my worry too, I'm nervous about the fight already. When he fought Wilder in the rematch I thought "no worries, just out box him again and get the win", but he kept telling us he'll knock him out etc. I was worried about the idea of trading with him, but he put on a bit if a clinic and he wrecked him twice after that. Ideal scenario is that he does the same again and gets the KO. But in my head I'm thinking again "use your advantages and just outbox him", in a similar fashion to his performance against Klitschko. Just don't give him anything, beat him to the jab, keep moving, smother any work from him and wear him down. Then if the opening arrives, go for the KO.

Thank you. I've been getting hyped recently as I've been involved in some of the Sky Sports promotions for the fight and it's getting me giddy. Gonna use that free box office Sky benefit to watch this one for sure!
It's one fight that should be worth it. There's always the chance that it could turn out a bit drab, which these fights can do, but it will be interesting nonetheless as they're two technically good fighters. Could be a bit of a chess match but I think it depends on how Fury approaches it.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Was hoping the local would put it on but looks like they aren't bothering so gonna ask my brother if he fancies going halves on it at his house.

Even if it's a midnight start it's far better than a West coast 4am and this really is a generational fight.

Withnail

Fury's just too big for Usyk to really trouble him I think. The Ngannou fight was not taken seriously by him at all and he didn't look in good shape or sharp.

AJ taking him apart makes it look worse at first glance but to me, he took that a lot more seriously than he may have otherwise because of how much trouble he caused Fury. We've seen it countless times in sport that if you're not at your peak fitness and/or concentration it can all go wrong quite quickly. AJ also had the luxury of a full fight to analyse so he could prepare to exploit Ngannou"s weaknesses. Because of that I'd write off that farce of a fight against an MMA guy. I just don't see those as real fights. AJ showed what a joke a top level professional boxer fighting a non boxer is. Just like in an MMA fight Fury or AJ would be shown up.

If Fury has trained properly and is dialed in, which he appears to be, I don't see Usyk winning.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Almost here!
By the way Fury really doesn't look that much taller than Usyk, not convinced he's 6:9 as he claims
He seems to be around 6'7" or so, there's enough pictures of him next to other fighters throughout the years like Wilder, Ngannou, Alex Pereira to deduce that he's definitely not 6'9" as claimed.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I can't see anything but a Fury win unfortunately. I think he's too big for Usyk.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I can't see anything but a Fury win unfortunately. I think he's too big for Usyk.
Agree. I think Usyk is the better boxer but think this will be the fight that size hampers him because Fury is technically up there unlike previous fighters he's been in with.

TheLiverBird

Fury looks incredible it has too be said! I don’t think I’ve seen him look this lean since his younger fighting days, that tells me he’s in focus mode big time

Usyk for all his brilliance won’t stand a chance against a lean fit focused hungry Fury imo

I just don’t see it

John Fury is dragging the Fury camp and the sport through the sewage though

Last edited:

Glorio

I like Usyk. Does he have a real chance?
He has more than a chance - in fact, I think he'll beat Fury. You really never know in boxing between good fighters, but Usyk is a once in a life time talent, and as I've said, the size difference doesn't look as big when you look at them together. That pendulum stance and footwork Usyk adopts is a problem. Cruiserweights didn't have the speed or skill to nullify it, so not sure how any heavyweight will deal with him. His engine is insane so he can keep it up through a fight.

He's also had good experience now in the Heavyweight scene. Again, can't be 100% on these things but I actually think Usyk will pull of a dominant win.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Nice to see Fury fighting an elite fighter. Makes a change!

A really hard fight to call. I'm going to go with a split decision for Fury in what will be viewed as somewhat of a robbery.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
He has more than a chance - in fact, I think he'll beat Fury. You really never know in boxing between good fighters, but Usyk is a once in a life time talent, and as I've said, the size difference doesn't look as big when you look at them together. That pendulum stance and footwork Usyk adopts is a problem. Cruiserweights didn't have the speed or skill to nullify it, so not sure how any heavyweight will deal with him. His engine is insane so he can keep it up through a fight.

He's also had good experience now in the Heavyweight scene. Again, can't be 100% on these things but I actually think Usyk will pull of a dominant win.
I don't think Usyk will get a decision. Will have to stop him.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Nice to see Fury fighting an elite fighter. Makes a change!

A really hard fight to call. I'm going to go with a split decision for Fury in what will be viewed as somewhat of a robbery.
I fancy the draw but with Usyk clearly winning. Never usually root against a Brit but Fury and his family have finally cracked me.

G-manc

No ... not at all. In fact, his CV is quite poor
I know that his resume always gets compared to Joshua’s but at the end of the day, he’s unbeaten in what is, a pretty shallow division.

I would agree he’s sometimes been an issue in fights not happening but he’s fighting Usyk now and it’s obvious everyone wants the Joshua fight moving forward. That would mean Fury has faced all the other major champions during his career.

No one will remember he fought Tom Schwarz or didn’t face Dominic Brezeale or Andy feckin Ruiz.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I know that his resume always gets compared to Joshua’s but at the end of the day, he’s unbeaten in what is, a pretty shallow division.

I would agree he’s sometimes been an issue in fights not happening but he’s fighting Usyk now and it’s obvious everyone wants the Joshua fight moving forward. That would mean Fury has faced all the other major champions during his career.

No one will remember he fought Tom Schwarz or didn’t face Dominic Brezeale or Andy feckin Ruiz.
His fights since Wilder 3 in 2021 have been Whyte, Chisora and Ngannou. That's pathetic.

JP77

If he beats Usyk it’s hard to criticise him anymore. It would mean wins against Usyk, Wilder, Klitschko, Whyte and Chisora. Apart from Joshua what other heavyweights would he really be missing from the list from this era? It’s not his fault the division isn’t stacked with great fighters but reality is if he wins tomorrow there is no better heavyweight of this era with a better resume.

G-manc

His fights since Wilder 3 in 2021 have been Whyte, Chisora and Ngannou. That's pathetic.
Why does that matter as long as he fights Usyk and Joshua at some point?

Joshua has fought Franklin, Helenius (as a stand in for Whyte) Wallin (who Fury got roasted for) and Ngannou (who Fury also got roasted for) post Usyk - what’s the difference?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Why does that matter as long as he fights Usyk and Joshua at some point?

Joshua has fought Franklin, Helenius (as a stand in for Whyte) Wallin (who Fury got roasted for) and Ngannou (who Fury also got roasted for) post Usyk - what’s the difference?
Fury regularly bleats about being the greatest of all time, I don't think Joshua does to the same extent if at all. This is the first thing in ages Fury has done to really test himself.