The RedCafe Boxing Thread

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
What will be interesting is to see what happens when Usyk catches him. Usyk’s not got bone-crunching power but he’s as accurate as a heavyweight can be. I don’t think Fury’s chin is his strong point, certainly not as strong as it’s been made out after he got up from Wilder.

Flip side, if Fury starts digging to the body as Dubois did, will Usyk crumple into a heap?

Red_toad

He obviously needs to fight AJ if he beats Usyk twice. If he beats both he can bleat on about being a goat if he likes.
I don't think he'll beat AJ, he's declined quite a bit since his battles with Wilder. I think he'll be too big for Usyk. I wonder how Usyk is going to counter the reach and weight disadvantages he's going to have, it'll be one hell of an achievement if he manages it.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I think he's declined too and that age has caught up with him compared to 4yrs ago, but he's in the best shape I've seen and he looks like he has the weight of the world on his shoulders, which means he's fully zoned in for this fight.

Would have been pretty certain on Fury those years back, but now it's harder to call; Fury hasn't fought an extremely high volume puncher and mover of this calibre, so it'll also be interesting to see how he deals with that as he's normally a bob, weave and step back from trouble, and that in and if itself won't be enough to keep Usyk off him.

I don't think it'll be easy for him to tie up and lean on Usyk either, so he'll have to do a lot more actual work in the pocket.

hobbers

I don't think he'll beat AJ, he's declined quite a bit since his battles with Wilder. I think he'll be too big for Usyk. I wonder how Usyk is going to counter the reach and weight disadvantages he's going to have, it'll be one hell of an achievement if he manages it.
I think this too. He'll beat Usyk via ridiculous scorecards and then get blown away by rejuvenated AJ. And we'll end up with a triangle of them defeating each other, and there endeth the worst era of heavyweight boxing.

Glorio

Elite footwork

Glorio

Usyk's a bit of a maniac isn't he? Imagine being told by your opponent at the final head to head "Do not be afraid, I will never leave you alone in the ring" :lol:

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Why does that matter as long as he fights Usyk and Joshua at some point?

Joshua has fought Franklin, Helenius (as a stand in for Whyte) Wallin (who Fury got roasted for) and Ngannou (who Fury also got roasted for) post Usyk - what’s the difference?
Fury's resume is pathetic for the so called best. He's beat one great fighter in klitschko and one great puncher in Wilder. And that's about it? If he gets a clean win over Usyk then he deserves huge credit for that. And that will cement his place as the current 1.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I think this too. He'll beat Usyk via ridiculous scorecards and then get blown away by rejuvenated AJ. And we'll end up with a triangle of them defeating each other, and there endeth the worst era of heavyweight boxing.
Not a bad shout this. I hope the fight is scored fairly but I have doubts about that.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
If fury was 6'2 instead of 6'7 he would have no chance. But his size and fight IQ make this very hard to call, for me. Fury needs to go to the body, a lot. If Usyk has a weakness it's that.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Usyk's a bit of a maniac isn't he? Imagine being told by your opponent at the final head to head "Do not be afraid, I will never leave you alone in the ring" :lol:
100% lunatic, that’s what’s so great about him

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Fury's resume is pathetic for the so called best. He's beat one great fighter in klitschko and one great puncher in Wilder. And that's about it? If he gets a clean win over Usyk then he deserves huge credit for that. And that will cement his place as the current 1.
I love that boxing is so obviously crooked that it's natural to talk about 'clean wins' like it's pro wrestling, and some kind of heel shenanigans are just as likely.

Glorio

Bit hard to move when some big lump is grabbing then leaning on you, as Fury does every fight and the refs don't stop him. Would love to see Usyk win simply to get Fury and his dad out of the lime light.
Fair, however sometimes against a tricky customer you spend more energy trying to catch and grab them than they spend evading.

Shawn Porter describes it as whether the mouse tires from running from the cat or whether the cat tires from running after the mouse :lol:

Glorio

Why would the cards favour Fury in this fight though? Usyk is as big a reputation as anyone. It's not like Fury is the champ and Usyk is the plucky challenger, neither is it a UK fight. Usyk is actually coming into this with more belts - the only reason I can think of for the judges to favour Fury would be to setup Fury vs AJ, but it seems that's on the cards either way.

In fact, I daresay it's less likely to happen if Fury wins here. He'll give us all a ducking masterclass

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Looking forward to this more than any fight for over a decade.

The main reason is I can't call it at all. Anything could happen.

Fury could box well and use his size to tire him out. Or he's not heavy enough and will get knocked out.

Would be funny and not impossible after all this undisputed talk it's a draw.

G-manc

As I said earlier, if he faces Joshua after Usyk, he’s faced what most people would consider the elite fighters of his generation.

It’s been a poor division for a decade or more, im not sure who you think his record is short of to stop it being “pathetic”.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
As I said earlier, if he faces Joshua after Usyk, he’s faced what most people would consider the elite fighters of his generation.

It’s been a poor division for a decade or more, im not sure who you think his record is short of to stop it being “pathetic”.
He missing really good and or solid fighters from his resume. Fighters like - Povetkin, Parker, Ruiz. For the supposed number 1, yes I think his resume is pathetic. Who are the really good fighters that he's beat? As I said, one great one, one with a ATG punch and that's about all I've got.

Balljy

I think Fury will win this pretty easily due to his size. He's naturally evasive and a proper heavyweight. That's not great for Usyk who relies on his boxing skills, but hasn't got the power to trouble Fury as long as he's still got the timing to step back from punches.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Why would the cards favour Fury in this fight though? Usyk is as big a reputation as anyone. It's not like Fury is the champ and Usyk is the plucky challenger, neither is it a UK fight. Usyk is actually coming into this with more belts - the only reason I can think of for the judges to favour Fury would be to setup Fury vs AJ, but it seems that's on the cards either way.

In fact, I daresay it's less likely to happen if Fury wins here. He'll give us all a ducking masterclass
The money is in Fury winning then fighting AJ. That’s the most cash-generating scenario, and the most cash-generating scenario always seems to have a favourable effect on scorecards

Edit - as you’ve acknowledged (really should have read the post a little better)

Glorio

Joshua and Usyk - if he fights them, no one will have an issue.

But even before then, the likes of Zhang, Parker would have been respectable names on his CV. There have been higher ranked fighters than the one's he's handpicked. Whyte was a good one though and kudos to him for exposing Wilder - no complaints there.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I know that his resume always gets compared to Joshua’s but at the end of the day, he’s unbeaten in what is, a pretty shallow division.

I would agree he’s sometimes been an issue in fights not happening but he’s fighting Usyk now and it’s obvious everyone wants the Joshua fight moving forward. That would mean Fury has faced all the other major champions during his career.

No one will remember he fought Tom Schwarz or didn’t face Dominic Brezeale or Andy feckin Ruiz.
Nobody gave a shit about Ruiz either until he beat AJ, which should have never happened. Not fighting people like this doesn't define Fury in my opinion.

On the other hand, absolutely everyone wanted AJ vs Wilder and they never made that happen, whilst Fury fought him three times.

If AJ gets beat by a plodder = "Fury never fought him"

If Fury fights a dangerous fighter and dispatches him easily = "he's shit anyway".

He simply can't win.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Anyone else a bit put off buying this just because of the pacing issues all these Saudi cards have? Really can't be arsed to pay £25 and still be sitting here at 2am waiting for the ring walks which I feel is exactly what's going to happen (again).

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Anyone else a bit put off buying this just because of the pacing issues all these Saudi cards have? Really can't be arsed to pay £25 and still be sitting here at 2am waiting for the ring walks which I feel is exactly what's going to happen (again).
Hopefully, the fight starts at 12am. If so, I might make it. I fell asleep waiting for the last joshua fight. And it's really hard to avoid spoilers.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Joshua and Usyk - if he fights them, no one will have an issue.

But even before then, the likes of Zhang, Parker would have been respectable names on his CV. There have been higher ranked fighters than the one's he's handpicked. Whyte was a good one though and kudos to him for exposing Wilder - no complaints there.
Nobody gave a shit about Ruiz either until he beat AJ, which should have never happened. Not fighting people like this doesn't define Fury in my opinion.

On the other hand, absolutely everyone wanted AJ vs Wilder and they never made that happen, whilst Fury fought him three times.

If AJ gets beat by a plodder = "Fury never fought him"

If Fury fights a dangerous fighter and dispatches him easily = "he's shit anyway".

He simply can't win.
It was the choice to fight Chisora yet again when there were so many better fighters he hadn’t faced that did his ‘CV credibility’ argument a lot of harm

People were so perplexed by that fight I honestly think it’d have been better if he’d fought nobody in that time and just been inactive. His reputation took a shot by taking that fight

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I have to get up at 4 in the morning so I might sleep this afternoon and set the alarm for 10pm.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Yeah the Chisora fight pretty much settled that he's a ducker

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
What platform is everyone watching this on? First time I can remember it being on so many. I found Dazn dreadful but that was about a year ago.