The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
I just can't visualize any path towards Canelo winning this. GGG's power is going to be the difference imo.
Prime GGG (all being equal) would win this. But I'm not sure this is prime GGG. His fight with Jacobs was far too competitive (he probably lost imo).

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Prime GGG (all being equal) would win this. But I'm not sure this is prime GGG. His fight with Jacobs was far too competitive (he probably lost imo).
How far is he out of his prime though? He’s fought what about 37 times and only 4 or so of his fights have even gone the distance.

IWat

How far is he out of his prime though? He’s fought what about 37 times and only 4 or so of his fights have even gone the distance.
He's 35 and had 350 odd amateur fights before turning professional, so a fair few miles on the clock. Coming up to and past 35 seems to be when most begin to really show signs of decline.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
I think he might be winding down. The last couple of years he hasn't been the same fighter. I'd say a year or so past his best, but you could take the Brook fight as an example of him being hit too much (I don't agree, as he walked into those shots purposefully to show Brook how little he could hurt him). The Jacobs fight was the one where I scratched my head and thought he might be past it.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Just watched the Jacobs fight again. Definitely a very close one, but the result was fair in the end imo. GGG knocked him down once and wobbled him another time. He also landed a higher percentage of his punches (38% v 32%), against a fighter who had more or less knocked out his last 10 opponents and had a comparable record to Canelo coming into the fight. So in retrospect there was little different with GGG other than the fact that he had a higher quality opponent imo.

Fergies Formula

Just watched the Jacobs fight again. Definitely a very close one, but the result was fair in the end imo. GGG knocked him down once and wobbled him another time. He also landed a higher percentage of his punches (38% v 32%), against a fighter who had more or less knocked out his last 10 opponents and had a comparable record to Canelo coming into the fight. So in retrospect there was little different with GGG other than the fact that he had a higher quality opponent imo.
I would agree with that.

RedFish

GGG was shit Vs Jacobs. honestly thought he lost it at the time. Whatever, it was far from easy and his facial expression at the bell said as much. Don't know if he's lost it, and prime Golovkin beats Canelo 8 days a week, but is he on the decline? That's what makes the fight intriguing.

Cant stand De La Hoya, and never warmed to Canelo. Hope Triple G knocks him the hell out.

Kazi

GGG was shit Vs Jacobs. honestly thought he lost it at the time. Whatever, it was far from easy and his facial expression at the bell said as much. Don't know if he's lost it, and prime Golovkin beats Canelo 8 days a week, but is he on the decline? That's what makes the fight intriguing.

Cant stand De La Hoya, and never warmed to Canelo. Hope Triple G knocks him the hell out.
If you want to warm to Canelo, watch this

Can a boxer be more adorable?

Santos J

That's the best available fight for him it seems. Nothing to get excited for he'll win easily but there seems to be no where else to go for a fight.
Yeah was the only real option anyway with the deadline for this being in December or something, it'll be a decent fight though it's not as if Pulev is some no mark. Can see AJ getting a Wilder fight next year.

Oggmonster

People like Hughie Fury don't stand a chance if fights like that are paid for. It's a chance for some decent exposure a world heavyweight title fight. If it was free to air people would be interested and probably watch. I can't see many people paying 10 quid to watch it on YouTube.

Inter Yer Nan

For me a counter fighter is a limited and parasitical way of fighting. Because if there is no attack the counter attacker can't exist. For me boxing should be about fighting and knocking the other fighter out with a mixture of style, all encompassing; aggression, attack, countering, slipping, bullying, dominating etc. I find mayweather too one dimensional and although his defence is a thing of wizardry, it's quite a cowardly form of fighting as he puts the risk on the other fighter, which is quite telling really as his whole career has been formed in such a way that minimilizes risk with the opponents his chooses and the variables he puts in place pre fight.

For me the likes of the golovkins, tysons, pacqioaus etc, will always be more entertaining as they personify the art of boxing in a much more accurate and true light, as to how it originated.
Mayweather is a little too boring for my taste (too much lateral movement early, then too defensive and too much holding the older he got), but I wouldn't describe him as one-dimensional. I'd say he wasn't great offensively, but he had a good enough punch selection and the rare times he walked an opponent down he did so with ease. It's just he was so good defensively and intelligent enough in the ring that he almost, always made it his fight. Unfortunately he never cared about the fans or putting on a show so was more often than not very content to stink it out and get the win. Also, as you said he was just as cautious with his matchmaking and that's what affects his standing in my view as I don't think his best accomplishments really match up with those of some of the greatest fighters of all-time.

Personally my favorite fighter of all-time is Juan Manuel Marquez. He has everything I personally enjoy in a fighter - masterful technical skill, combination punching, excellent counter punches, a heart as big as Mexico and a willingness to fight anybody at any time and no fuss about gaining advantages/being at a disadvantage. Humble and no trash talking either.

Inter Yer Nan

Huge week for Boxing this week. Cruiserweight tournament kicks off with Usyk vs. Huck in Germany. Usyk is my heavy favorite for this tournament as I think he's a pound for pound player. Huck brings a lot of experience but is a little past his best now.

Then the Super Fly card in Carson on HBO. I got really good floor seats for this so may see my ugly mug on the telly - may wear a United shirt. All main event worthy fights - Inoue's US debut against Antonio Nieves, Chocolatito always entertaining in a re-match of a controversial loss v Sor Rungvisai and Estrada-Cuadras a genuine 50/50. Personally I think Chocolatito is the most consistently entertaining fighter in recent years and really hoping he gets the win here since he was shafted back in March, but this is a tough fight given Sor Rungvisai is a bigger guy and Gonzalez is slowing down. Highlight of the night is Estrada vs. Cuadras for me. I've been on Estrada's bandwagon since his close loss to Chocolatito back in 2012 and Cuadras has obviously proven himself as a excellent champion (also in tough bouts with the main event guys). I like Estrada in this one but it will be a battle. Winner is the mandatory for the winner of the main event.

Kazi

My worry is that it'll be a more technical fight than expected. Golovkin will try boxing behind his excellent jab, giving Canelo less chances to pick him off, while still doing good work slipping the jab and countering when he can. Hoping I'm wrong and Golovkin is ultra-aggressive.

Kazi

Huge week for Boxing this week. Cruiserweight tournament kicks off with Usyk vs. Huck in Germany. Usyk is my heavy favorite for this tournament as I think he's a pound for pound player. Huck brings a lot of experience but is a little past his best now.

Then the Super Fly card in Carson on HBO. I got really good floor seats for this so may see my ugly mug on the telly - may wear a United shirt. All main event worthy fights - Inoue's US debut against Antonio Nieves, Chocolatito always entertaining in a re-match of a controversial loss v Sor Rungvisai and Estrada-Cuadras a genuine 50/50. Personally I think Chocolatito is the most consistently entertaining fighter in recent years and really hoping he gets the win here since he was shafted back in March, but this is a tough fight given Sor Rungvisai is a bigger guy and Gonzalez is slowing down. Highlight of the night is Estrada vs. Cuadras for me. I've been on Estrada's bandwagon since his close loss to Chocolatito back in 2012 and Cuadras has obviously proven himself as a excellent champion (also in tough bouts with the main event guys). I like Estrada in this one but it will be a battle. Winner is the mandatory for the winner of the main event.
I'm a huge fan of Japanese boxers, but the best ones almost seem to fall short of that elite level. Inoue though, he's just, different.

Inter Yer Nan

I'm a huge fan of Japanese boxers, but the best ones almost seem to fall short of that elite level. Inoue though, he's just, different.
I think it's in part because by the time people start to finally recognize the achievements the fighters are already on the downside as 28,29 is old-ish at those weight classes. Nishioka, Yamanaka, Uchiyama, Hasegawa were all excellent fighters but I feel got old which coincided with meeting young, hungry lions entering their primes. Good thing is that Inoue people have caught on whilst he's not even entering his prime yet.

Very good local scene in Japan. So many good fighters, but enough money it seems that they don't necessarily have to travel as much as the fighters from Mexico, Puerto Rico, Panama and Nicaragua.

Santos J

Benavidez vs Gavril on Friday for the title shot. Great fun to watch Benavidez is and at only 20 he has a massive future ahead of him. His fight against Medina's one of my favourites from this year.

Inter Yer Nan

Roman Gonzalez vs. Sor Rungvisai
Roman Gonzalez vs. Juan Francisco Estrada
Juan Francisco Estrada vs. Brian Viloria
Roman Gonzalez vs. Carlos Cuadras
Carlos Cuadras vs. Sor Rungvisai

If any of you have the time I recommend all of these fights featuring 5 of the fighters appearing on Saturday's show. All three of the Gonzalez one's were classics and among the best fights of recent times. Estrada-Viloria was a great watch too. These guys have consistently been the most entertaining batch of fighters the last few years.

Inter Yer Nan

http://www.boxingscene.com/redirection-juan-francisco-estrada--120191

The Redirection of Juan Francisco Estrada

By Cliff Rold

It couldn’t have been looking much better.

Juan Francisco Estrada (35-2, 25 KO) went from unheralded challenger to unified and defending titlist in just eight months between November 2012 and July 2013. The style with which he did it got a lot of attention from both hardcore fans and knowledgeable observers. The great Nacho Beristain, trainer of Ricardo Lopez and Juan Manuel Marquez, has been quoted more than once as believing Estrada is the best of Mexico’s current crop.

Not Canelo Alvarez.

Not Estrada’s Mexican opponent next weekend, Carlos Cuadras (36-1-1, 27 KO).

It sets a high bar for the man coined El Gallo. So what happened to the last couple years? It feels like it’s been a long time since Estrada had an opponent that could get the pulses racing.

It’s been since 2014 to be exact. In September of that year, a month that had a flurry of action at flyweight akin to the single day explosion coming this weekend, Estrada’s showdown with fellow Mexican Giovani Segura was heavily anticipated among followers of the lighter weight classes.

Estrada turned in a virtuoso performance, picking the wild but always dangerous Segura apart for eleven one-sided rounds. It was the culmination of a series of resume and reputation building fights that began with what one might call a ‘good’ loss.

Estrada challenged Roman Gonzalez for a title at Jr. flyweight in November 2012. Gonzalez was already building the buzz that eventually got him to HBO and by the end of the night he had found a rival. Estrada gave Gonzalez the toughest fight of his career to that point, losing clearly but in a way that suggested he was someone to see again.

Again would come against Brian Viloria in April 2013. Viloria, who unified two flyweight titles in the main event above Gonzalez-Estrada, faced Estrada in China. Ironically, Estrada made it to HBO before Gonzalez (albeit on an afternoon card on HBO2) and impressed with a solid win over Viloria. Estrada would return to China, and HBO2, for his first defense against future 108 lb. beltholder Milan Melindo.

He handed Melindo his first loss and the chorus of the impressed increased. The desire to see a Gonzalez-Estrada rematch increased as well over time, getting its loudest when Gonzalez joined Estrada as beltholder, in Gonzalez’s case also capturing the lineal throne, at flyweight in September ’14.

Now, here we are three years later at a fight that could be a main event on a lot of other nights. That’s a good thing. That it’s been three years since Segura is not. Gonzalez-Estrada II might have happened in 2015 but when Gonzalez finally broke through to premium American television that became a fight that suddenly could be made bigger and waited on.

Then Estrada had hand problems that cost him over a year of his career with no fights from September 2015 to October 2016. When he has been fighting the last few years, it wasn’t against much. Tyson Marquez was the biggest name foe and well past his sell by date. Estrada, who was finding himself on many mythical pound-for-pound lists along with Gonzalez, blew off track. He has a chance to restart the entire buzz this weekend.

A career that was ablaze with momentum can be redirected in a single night this Saturday (HBO, 10:15 PM EST). For all the talk of Gonzalez facing Inoue with a win this weekend, it’s easy to forget how long a rematch with Estrada was the best fight money could buy in the lower weights.

Are we really sure that’s not still the case?

What if the fight we should really be excited about, dreaming about, is Estrada-Inoue?

These might be the kinds of questions we’re all asking Sunday morning. It all depends on what direction Estrada is heading by then.

Kazi

Love how Marquez went for Canelo and then Manny went for Golovkin, both favouring the boxer that matches their style most. If we can get a Pacquiao-Marquez III type fight next Saturday in terms of its entertainment value and competitiveness, I'll be very happy.

In the meantime, we have the card of the year tonight.