The RedCafe Boxing Thread

RedFish

Love how Marquez went for Canelo and then Manny went for Golovkin, both favouring the boxer that matches their style most. If we can get a Pacquiao-Marquez III type fight next Saturday in terms of its entertainment value and competitiveness, I'll be very happy.

In the meantime, we have the card of the year tonight.
No doubt in my mind that Gonzalez is the superior boxer but the last fight made me wonder that at super fly , and against a bigger and stronger opponent like Rungvisai he's much less effective. Still, I think he'll adjust and get a points victory. Fight of the year probably for me last time out.

Also think Estrada has too much for Caudras.

Last edited:

SambaBoy

Another surprising loss for Chocolatio. Think now is probably the time to retire, it will be hard to bounce back from that KO and be a reckoning in that division. Inoue would beat him and probably get the KO as well.

Still think he should go down as a future HOF for his past achievements.

Excellent night of boxing that was, Usyk won in Germany as well against Huck.

Inter Yer Nan

Some great action over the weekend. I love Chocolatito so obviously sad to see him KO'd so brutally but he's had a great career and is a lock for the Hall of Fame. I think his loss is a combination of his tough fights catching up to him whilst fighting bigger, fresher guys and Rungvisai is a tough as hell fighter. Hits hard as hell, can take punishment and has tons of courage.

Estrada-Cuadras I really enjoyed. I was near ringside and saw Estrada win clearly as he landed all the big punches. Seems it was closer on TV, but I had it 116-111. I gave Cuadras 3 of the first 4 and the last round. Estrada is an excellent boxer and throws great combinations. I'd compare him almost to Marquez in style. I can't wait for him and Runvisai. Cuadras always makes you work because he has a lot of movement and he's a busy fighter. I'd like to see him face Viloria next.

Inoue looked superb and perhaps is the guy with the highest ceiling. Somewhere down the line he'll face the Estrada-Rungvisai winner.

Deleted member 101472

Most excited I've been for a fight in an awful long time. Both guys are just so likeable.

Deleted member 101472

It's an excellent episode, I imagine even a casual fan would be somewhat taken in by it. Be interesting to see if they have a little push at the weigh in, might get a few more buys though I think there's too much class and respect there.

Inter Yer Nan

Haven't watched it yet but will do so tonight. I really want to re-watch the Estrada-Cuadras fight too and a couple of GGG and Canelo fights this week to get my juices flowing for Saturday.

Deleted member 101472

Haven't watched it yet but will do so tonight. I really want to re-watch the Estrada-Cuadras fight too and a couple of GGG and Canelo fights this week to get my juices flowing for Saturday.
Just watch canelo Kirkland over and over again.

RedFish

Rungvisai is improving and Chocalatito is declining and that was the difference. Well that and Rungvisai's punching power. Still, Gonzalez has been a joy to watch all these years.

Estrada was a class above Caudras who is game, but was otherwise dominated. Fight went as expected. Almost had a fit when they called it for Caudras. Vegas, fecking hell.

Inoue was so impressive. He's got serious power and all the shots too. A superstar in the making.

Inter Yer Nan

Rungvisai is improving and Chocalatito is declining and that was the difference. Well that and Rungvisai's punching power. Still, Gonzalez has been a joy to watch all these years.

Estrada was a class above Caudras who is game, but was otherwise dominated. Fight went as expected. Almost had a fit when they called it for Caudras. Vegas, fecking hell.

Inoue was so impressive. He's got serious power and all the shots too. A superstar in the making.
It was in LA. Luckily, LA is one of the fairer places when it comes to judging. Like I said, everybody at the fight had Estrada by between 3-5 points but HBO had Cuadras by a point. I heard British TV had Estrada fairly wide and were surprised by HBO's card? HBO tends to be like that. Lederman is a dumb judge and if he's judged you previously (as he did Cuadras last 2 bouts) and never judged you before (Estrada) he will almost always go with the guy he's familiar with. I also think he just judges activity and really doesn't appreciate technical fighters. He almost always gave outrageous scorecards in Marquez fights (scored Pacquaio over him wide 3x, scored Barrera over him and others).

Estrada is one of my favorites. I can't wait to see him fight Sor Rungvisai. Really hope they do it again at the Stub Hub.

Deleted member 101472

Rewatched some of prince naseem's stuff earlier. Barrera really should have stopped him. It's a shame he didn't have the desire to learn from that defeat, as he could easily have adapted his game and gone on to bigger things and more of a legacy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Inter Yer Nan

Rewatched some of prince na seems stuff earlier. Barrera really should have stopped him. It's a shame he didn't have the desire to learn from that defeat, as he could easily have adapted his game and gone on to bigger things and more of a legacy.
I think he'd already lost some desire before that fight even. Cutting corners and whatnot. He got too big for his boots and he was a control freak. Barrera was a cut above him though and I thought had he not ducked Marquez for so long he's have lost his unbeaten record sooner. He was great for those divisions though. He brought $1m paydays back to the Featherweights (last one was Sanchez vs. Gomez in 1981).

RedFish

It was in LA. Luckily, LA is one of the fairer places when it comes to judging. Like I said, everybody at the fight had Estrada by between 3-5 points but HBO had Cuadras by a point. I heard British TV had Estrada fairly wide and were surprised by HBO's card? HBO tends to be like that. Lederman is a dumb judge and if he's judged you previously (as he did Cuadras last 2 bouts) and never judged you before (Estrada) he will almost always go with the guy he's familiar with. I also think he just judges activity and really doesn't appreciate technical fighters. He almost always gave outrageous scorecards in Marquez fights (scored Pacquaio over him wide 3x, scored Barrera over him and others).

Estrada is one of my favorites. I can't wait to see him fight Sor Rungvisai. Really hope they do it again at the Stub Hub.
Yep, brain disconnect moment . I blame PTSD induced flashbacks of Kov - Ward 1.:wenger:

Kazi

I think Wilder will actually UD him, staying on the outside behind his jab. Ortiz is the superior boxer but seems good timing for Wilder.

Utdstar01

Monroe's team make it hard but I'm still rooting for him. They are claiming they were dominating GGG and hurt him badly in their fight and that GGG isn't that good. GGG laughed at his punches, walked through them and broke him.
Yeah, he just wasn't powerful enough. Didnt put up a bad fight though tbf to him. GGG is a beast.

Kazi

Saunders has no class. Awful shit talker and paper champ. I'd love GGG or Canelo to smash him to pieces, but feel Monroe will take care of him.
I found it quite funny when he flicked off his hat tbh. That's another 50/50 fight I reckon, just like the one later that night. BJS has had close decisions against all of his best opponents.

Utdstar01

I found it quite funny when he flicked off his hat tbh. That's another 50/50 fight I reckon, just like the one later that night. BJS has had close decisions against all of his best opponents.
Definitely. Its about time somebody took that belt off of him. Doesn't deserve it.