g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The RedCafe Boxing Thread

RedFish

How heavy do we think Canelo is going to go in?
Too heavy for me. GGG looks lean and his power will be there. Canelo just looks too big and I wonder if he'll pay for that big time in the mid- later rounds.

I wouldn't be surprised if GGG replicates his tactics v Lemieux and wears Canelo down gradually before a mercy stoppage late on.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Smith fighting Skoglund now, decent first round from the swede.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Can't wait. It will be extremely interesting and close imo. If it happened earlier Golovkin would have more advantage. Now, it's not so much the age thing with Golovkin as he will be extremely motivated but Canelo has improved a lot during past few years and is in his prime.

It will be probably more tactical in the beginning and build up as it goes into the later rounds.

Personally, hope Golovkin wins.

ivaldo

Just me watching smith then? Cracking fight so far.

saivet

Who's showing this in the UK? Got BT Sport in my mind for some reason

Raoul

Admin
Staff
How many different boxing events are going tonight ? I'm tracking the GGG/Canelo as well as the Saunders fight. Any others ?

ivaldo

How many different boxing events are going tonight ? I'm tracking the GGG/Canelo as well as the Saunders fight. Any others ?
Callum smith and Skoglund in the Super Series.

saivet

I think it will be available to stream. Not that I would ever suggest one should do that.
I can't be bothered. Feck being up at 4am to see some ropey stream for a fight I'm not too bothered with. If it was on tv for free, I'd have considered it.

Inter Yer Nan

A controversial decision is my biggest worry. A prime golovkin wouldn't have had to worry about that but I do feel he is at risk of battling with his age at some point in the not too distant future. Hopefully it's not this fight.
I do think they have appointed two of the worst judges imaginable (Byrd and Moretti) but I think GGG will comfortably be the better man and hopefully whoever wins judging isn't a factor.

May the best man win!

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
He couldn't cope with either of those, but a decent level tactical fighter. Like Calzaghe without the same level of defensive skillset.

Nucks

RT History Department
35 is still a good age for boxers. If he was Mayweather's age (40) then he would definitely not have much of a chance against an in form Canelo imo.
It depends on the boxer. Most boxers do not age well. Also, the more their success/technique depends on athleticism, the worse they age. Take for example Roy Jones Jr, versus Bernard Hopkins. Hopkins, all about spot on defense and technique via fundamentals. RJJ based on preternatural reflexes and speed. Roy gets old, he get's KTFO'd by everyone and their mother. Hopkins gets old, he finally falls off at like 50.

I'd say GGG isn't exactly a technical lord. If this was heavyweight, I'd say it doesn't matter as much. At heavyweight everyone tends to be slow enough that power remains dominant. At lighter weights, loss of speed can be killer.

So we will see. 35 is getting old for someone like GGG with his style. So we will see.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
I hope GGG struggles with Jacobs were a result of fighting another slick southpaw and not the decline Alvarez is hoping for. I have seen GGG stink up the joint a decade ago in an eight rounder with Ian Gardner. Alvarez has made a career of fighting smaller man with no punch. And now he´s hoping for a washed-up version of GGG.

Fergies Gum

Boxnation have messed up big time. A lot of people are complaining they cant access the show.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Cool....this is working out great as I'm watching this and UFC and don't want to miss the Rockhold fight.