The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Wasn't this the best preparation Vargas has had in his career? Nutrition, etc, wise. Not making excuses for Khan there's no doubting he's a bit shit despite his fast hands.

Going the full 12 round is EXACTLY what khan needs if he's going to get to even 5 rounds against pence. 'Making a statement' by beating Vargas in 3-5 rounds would make him even weaker going into tougher fixtures.

G-manc

I think it's safe to say that neither Khan or Brook are the same fighters they were.

I thought Khan wasn't great at all last night but Brook trying to make 147 could be a bit of a leveller.

I'm more surprised when a fight isn't PPV nowadays. Fast Eddie knows this fight sells to the casual and will no doubt be charging for it if made

G-manc

Lacy was being built up into something I knew he wasn’t
I think there was a bit of lull in American superstars at that time and they were desperate for someone to come through. Lacy was like a 168 Michael Grant in terms of hype.

Take nothing away from Joe's performance on the night but 've never bought into the whole 'he was never the same after Calzaghe' - the reality is he was never that good. He was comfortably outboxed at times by Omar Sheika.

Last i read he was set to box Tony Oakey in an unlicensed bout!

Revan

Assumptionman
Using 1990 as the start of when I can count accomplishments (so not taking into account Holyfield’s Cruiserweight/Pre-Douglas & Chavez before Taylor etc;)

1. Roy Jones
2. Pernell Whitaker
3. Bernard Hopkins
4. Floyd Mayweather
5. Manny Pacquaio
6. Juan Manuel Marquez
7. Felix Trinidad
8. Evander Holyfield
9. Joe Calzaghe
10. Lennox Lewis

The bulk of Chavez’ accomplishments were in the 1980’s otherwise he’d be in for sure. Four of “the best pound for pound” based on their skill and ability during that spell were Ricardo Lopez, Mark Johnson, Vasyl Lomachenko and Terence Crawford but Lopez’ opposition is too low, Johnson lost the end of his prime and never got the right fights in his prime. Lomachenko and Crawford are still going and not as accomplished- yet.

James Toney I strongly considered but his inconsistency was baffling. Head to head Id take him over Hopkins at his best for example but his best was so infrequent. Barrera and Morales are very unlucky to miss out but it’s a very, very difficult top 10 to narrow down. Maybe I’d give a different bottom of the list a month from now? My top 6 is set in stone (from that period) but the order probably isn’t.
Interesting. I think that 2-5 can be put in any order, personally would have Floyd at #2, Pac at #3, Hopkins at #4 and Whitaker at #5.

What I find more interesting is Holyfield above Lewis. If you take into account Holyfield's time as cruiserweight, then that can be justified, but you said that you're not doing so. No chance in hell Holyfield was a better heavyweight than Lewis, so unless you mean that he was lighter and so had less pounds on him, don't know how you can justify it.

Actually, I have Lewis as the second best fighter of the nineties, after Jones.

Classical Mechanic

Wouldn't put it past Sky trying to charge for Kell v Kahn. He got stabbed in the calf though- not a prime spot for a real murder attempt.
It will def be PPV if it happens.

He was hit with a machete in the thigh. A machete is more akin to a sword than a knife. The femoral artery is in the thigh and you can bleed to death in minutes if it is severed.

Inter Yer Nan

Anyone watch Garcia vs Porter?

Thought it was an excellent fight, which could have gone either way. Action from start to finish.
I thought it was very good. I’m conflicted because I really can’t stand Porters style of fighting but he can be in good fights.

It was a 7-5 either way or 6-6 type fight. I personally preferred Garcia’s cleaner, harder shots and had him winning barely. I have no issue with the verdict though. Porter simply outworked him in stretches.

Inter Yer Nan

Interesting. I think that 2-5 can be put in any order, personally would have Floyd at #2, Pac at #3, Hopkins at #4 and Whitaker at #5.

What I find more interesting is Holyfield above Lewis. If you take into account Holyfield's time as cruiserweight, then that can be justified, but you said that you're not doing so. No chance in hell Holyfield was a better heavyweight than Lewis, so unless you mean that he was lighter and so had less pounds on him, don't know how you can justify it.

Actually, I have Lewis as the second best fighter of the nineties, after Jones.
I go back and forth on whom I felt was the better Heavyweight or had the better Heavyweight career. Lewis obviously beat everyone he faced and credit to him for getting back in with the two guys that KO’d him but those are bad losses. Holyfield’s win over Tyson trumps any Lewis win and he has the Bowe series (a great win in fight II), I think the Foreman win grew over time as did the Mercer one when you consider how Mercer arguably beat Lewis.

Holyfield’s competition was better andbhis highs were higher, his lows not quite as low but Lewis beat him head to head and was dominant which Holyfield never was.

Holyfield does get pound for pound points too yeah.

Zen

Pretty fascinating that Floyd is underrated.....I mean if he's not number 1 in a post-1990 list, he's underrated. Castillo was his only trouble, and boy did he learn from that. An obscene amount of names on his resume that RJJ does not have, and you can't really throw back "prime" as even one of the two highlight Jones wins was way before Hopkins hit his prime....that and especially Toney were brilliant wins mind you, but I'm almost certain I could put Floyd in a ring with Ruiz and he'd win on points too.

I don't think I can have RJJ above Manny either, dude took on Barrera, Morales, Marquez, all at or very near their peaks. Forget the march up the divisions that came after.

Like some love being seen for Lewis however, lot of time for people who avenge their losses, in style too. Took out a lot of the HW division in the 90's too, didn't even give Golota time to lowblow him.

Thisistheone

Put Kahn in with anyone decent and you get a fun fight to watch. That speed with that chin makes it compelling viewing.

Brook v Kahn needs to happen more than the Manny fight. Should have happened a few years ago but better late than never.

I also had Garcia winning by a round. Good fight.

Oggmonster

I go back and forth on whom I felt was the better Heavyweight or had the better Heavyweight career. Lewis obviously beat everyone he faced and credit to him for getting back in with the two guys that KO’d him but those are bad losses. Holyfield’s win over Tyson trumps any Lewis win and he has the Bowe series (a great win in fight II), I think the Foreman win grew over time as did the Mercer one when you consider how Mercer arguably beat Lewis.

Holyfield’s competition was better andbhis highs were higher, his lows not quite as low but Lewis beat him head to head and was dominant which Holyfield never was.

Holyfield does get pound for pound points too yeah.
Bit off subject to what you're talking about but do you know roughly what time Canelo vs. Golovkin would start US ET?? I fly there this weekend and don't really want to miss it (Equally don't want to get to a bar to early cos the missus will know I've gone for the boxing...I'm hoping I just turn up as it starts and can pretend it's coincidence then!!)

You don’t have to pay to watch.

Kell had that incident when he was nearly murdered. Lots of rumours online about him after that.
I've heard learn of weird rumours about Brook from people who know him/have mutual friends. Don't know the truth in them but they are quite odd.

Enjoyed the Khan fight, he's always good to watch in fairness. I doubt he does very well against any elite boxer anymore. I'd be quite interested in Khan vs. Brook personally, both good to watch and arguably both past their best.

Inter Yer Nan

Bit off subject to what you're talking about but do you know roughly what time Canelo vs. Golovkin would start US ET?? I fly there this weekend and don't really want to miss it (Equally don't want to get to a bar to early cos the missus will know I've gone for the boxing...I'm hoping I just turn up as it starts and can pretend it's coincidence then!!)
What city will you be in? It's not that common to get HBO/PPV Boxing in bars in a lot of cities but this is a big enough fight I think you'll be fine.

The main event on a PPV usually is 8:30pm Pacific Time so 11:30pm Eastern Time. The last fight was a little earlier around 11pm ET. I think if you go with the intention that it will start at 11pm ET you'll be fine.

Inter Yer Nan

I've uploaded a Eder Jofre few videos up to YouTube. I did a documentary from a DVD I got from Brazil years ago and I've put it on with English subtitles.

Here's a couple of highlight videos I put together featuring some of his Bantamweight fights, some of his Featherweight fights and extended highlights of two fights in Los Angeles and Colombia.

A lot of it is black and white and obviously not the best quality but you can see clearly how good his technique, style and power is. The perfect fighter and IMO one of the most underrated all-time greats probably due to not fighting often in America and being from Brazil which isn't exactly a Boxing hotbed.

Classical Mechanic

I've uploaded a Eder Jofre few videos up to YouTube. I did a documentary from a DVD I got from Brazil years ago and I've put it on with English subtitles.

Here's a couple of highlight videos I put together featuring some of his Bantamweight fights, some of his Featherweight fights and extended highlights of two fights in Los Angeles and Colombia.

A lot of it is black and white and obviously not the best quality but you can see clearly how good his technique, style and power is. The perfect fighter and IMO one of the most underrated all-time greats probably due to not fighting often in America and being from Brazil which isn't exactly a Boxing hotbed.
Did you catch the recent BBC doc on Freddie Mills? It was fairly decent, classic boxing story. Some great old action clips too.

Kazi

Pacquiao is #1 P4P in the last 30 years. 8 divisions ffs, and Lineal in 5 of them. Floyd is #2 btw.

Inter Yer Nan

Pacquiao is #1 P4P in the last 30 years. 8 divisions ffs, and Lineal in 5 of them. Floyd is #2 btw.
He's great, no doubt about it but the eight division stuff isn't entirely accurate. He never won official world titles at 126 and 140 pounds and his title at 154 was a stupid catch-weight of 150 lbs in a fight that was for a title Top Rank essentially just paid for. He also never unified as much as one division or had a dominant title reign as the #1 in a division. I personally count that type of stuff when ranking historically. Look at the rest of my top 10 they all unified at least one division, some even became undisputed and most had a dominant reign as #1 in a division.

Jones reigned as WBA/WBC/IBF for years at 175 and unified 168 (vs. Toney)
Hopkins reigned as WBA/IBF/WBC and added WBO and had a 10 year 20 defense reign
Whitaker was undisputed at 135 and reigned as the clear #1 and lineal champ at 147 for years
Mayweather unified at 147 & 154 though loses some points due to some being catch-weight he enforced and there being two WBA champions at 147
Marquez unified at 126 & 135
Trinidad unified at 147 & 154
Lewis was undisputed at Heavyweight as was Holyfield
Calzaghe reigned as unified champion at 168 and had 21 defenses in 10 years

The eight division stuff was a marketing ploy and it worked. I think in general what impresses me most about Pacquaio is the level of opposition and obviously being a much smaller man doing so well moving up though I do believe he lost all four Marquez fights. I don't think any fighter took on a schedule like Pacquaio over that time though.

I don't have a massive problem with thinking he's the greatest fighter of the last 30 years though. Just thought I'd make those points.

Oggmonster

What city will you be in? It's not that common to get HBO/PPV Boxing in bars in a lot of cities but this is a big enough fight I think you'll be fine.

The main event on a PPV usually is 8:30pm Pacific Time so 11:30pm Eastern Time. The last fight was a little earlier around 11pm ET. I think if you go with the intention that it will start at 11pm ET you'll be fine.
Cheers mate. I'll be in Boston the night of the fight, hopefully somewhere will be showing it..I'll aim for 11pm somewhere and play it dumb when get questioned about it anyway!

TheReligion

Abusive
Rumours about what?
That he was bisexual and was looking for something from another guy when it happened.

There's allsorts about him using cocaine and friend of Khan being responsible. Could just be a bit of a slur campaign as there's no proof although his story about what happened in Tenerife seems very far fetched.

GledTheRed

That he was bisexual and was looking for something from another guy when it happened.

There's allsorts about him using cocaine and friend of Khan being responsible. Could just be a bit of a slur campaign as there's no proof although his story about what happened in Tenerife seems very far fetched.
Well yeah people don't try to murder you for nothing.

Inter Yer Nan

Cheers mate. I'll be in Boston the night of the fight, hopefully somewhere will be showing it..I'll aim for 11pm somewhere and play it dumb when get questioned about it anyway!
Yeah in Boston you won’t have problems finding it. The Back Bay area has a few sports bars Ill try to find the name of the one I’m thinking of. It’s possible bats showing the fight MAY charge $10 to get in. Back bay has a lot of bars and restaurants and it’s a quick 5 minute taxi/uber from Faneuil Hall or a 20-30 minute walk.

Oggmonster

Yeah in Boston you won’t have problems finding it. The Back Bay area has a few sports bars Ill try to find the name of the one I’m thinking of. It’s possible bats showing the fight MAY charge $10 to get in. Back bay has a lot of bars and restaurants and it’s a quick 5 minute taxi/uber from Faneuil Hall or a 20-30 minute walk.
Thanks mate much appreciated. Don't mind paying to get in and watch it, should be worth the money!

Inter Yer Nan

Yeah not too bad. There is also Jaime Munguia and Roman 'Chocolatito' Gonzalez on the undercard
Crazy that so many Nicaraguans are now against Chocolatito and want him to lose. He's very closely connected to their current president and has been vocal in his backing of him. In Nicaragua people are going missing and being killed by the government.

Thisistheone

Crazy that so many Nicaraguans are now against Chocolatito and want him to lose. He's very closely connected to their current president and has been vocal in his backing of him. In Nicaragua people are going missing and being killed by the government.
WTF. Thats just crazy.

See the final GGG Canelo presser last night? No face off, nothing. They couldn't look at eachother.

Inter Yer Nan

Broner upto his tricks again. Asking a Wendy's employee to quit for 10k.
This man is too stupid. He’s made a lot of money but still lives paycheck to paycheck. I heard he was broke and credit shot.

If he doesn’t end up behind bars he’s gonna end up homeless. He has about 8-9 kids already with 6-7 different women. When the boxing purses go it’s not like he’s making money elsewhere and he’s not suddenly going to become intelligent.