The RedCafe Boxing Thread

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
Bob Arum told Maxboxing on Thursday afternoon that Miguel Cotto's next fight on June 13th is getting close to being finalized. "He's going to fight Joshua Clottey in Madison Square Garden," said the veteran promoter.
I will be flying to new york to see this booking my ticket in the coming weeks

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Think its starting at 9 on sky... dunno what time they're actually fighting though

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
An early statistical look on the May 2 clash between junior welterweights Manny Pacquiao and Ricky Hatton. The fight will televised by HBO pay-per-view from the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Manny Pacquiao

Record: 48-3, 36KOs
Height: 5'6 1/2
Reach: 67 inches
Titles Won: WBC flyweight title, IBF super bantamweight title, WBC super featherweight title, WBC lightweight title
Key Fights: Lehlohonolo Ledwaba, Erik Morales Fights 1, 2 and 3, Oscar De La Hoya, Juan Manuel Marquez Fights 1 and 2, Marco Antonio Barrera Fights 1 and 2, Agapito Sanchez, David Diaz, Jorge Solis, Oscar Larios
Key Wins: Lehlohonolo Ledwaba, Erik Morales Fights 2 and 3, Oscar De La Hoya, Juan Manuel Marquez Fight 2, Marco Antonio Barrera Fights 1 and 2, David Diaz, Jorge Solis, Oscar Larios
Win Streak: 9-0, 6KOs

Ricky Hatton

Record: 45-1, 32KOs
Height: 5'7 1/2
Reach: 65 inches
Titles Won: WBA welterweight title, IBF/WBA junior welterweight titles
Key Fights: Jon Thaxton, Floyd Mayweather Jr., Jose Luis Castillo, Paulie Malignaggi, Juan Urango, Luis Collazo, Vince Phillips, Ben Tackie, Kostya Tszyu, Carlos Maussa, Juan Lazcano
Key Wins: Jon Thaxton, Jose Luis Castillo, Paulie Malignaggi, Juan Urango, Luis Collazo, Vince Phillips, Ben Tackie, Kostya Tszyu, Carlos Maussa, Juan LazcanoWin Streak: 2-0, 1KO

Advantages
Power - Pacquiao
Chin - Even
Skill - Pacquiao
Speed - Pacquiao
Reach - Pacquiao
Height - Hatton
Experience - Even
Stamina - Pacquiao

Betting Favorite - Pacquiao

Media Favorite - Pacquiao

Fan Favorite - Pacquiao

Leg-End

The Khan/Barrera fight has come around quick aint it, should be a good one.

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
I think Fraudley has come to the realisation that any small chance he had is long gone deep down, to be honest. The majority of the British boxing community thinks he is a joke but he might as well milk his 'career' for what it's worth at this point. I came into a bit of luck and got offered a last minute ticket to the fight tonight from a family member, need to get going soon. Hopefully Khan puts in a good performance.

Leg-End

Maccarinelli just got fecking finished, massive over the top right KO, good bye top level career.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Maccarinelli just got fecking finished, massive over the top right KO, good bye top level career.
You could see it coming, the other guy looked as fresh in the ninth as the first, the only question was if he could land another big punch

Leg-End

You could see it coming, the other guy looked as fresh in the ninth as the first, the only question was if he could land another big punch
Yeah you could tell Enzo had totally underestimated him and then ran out of gas. Loved the KO punch though, right over the top BANG, was like a fast bowler action with full body weight behind it.

Leg-End

Enzo Maccarinelli getting knocked out by that huge Afolabi right over the top, I loved it.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
Floyd Mayweather Jr., who hasn't fought since December 2007 and retired as the undefeated pound-for-pound king in June, is planning to fight again -- possibly as soon as July 11 -- two sources with knowledge of the situation told ESPN.com.

"He is coming back. I've been around him. He's ready to dance again very soon," said one source, who recently spent time with Mayweather and has known him for years. "He's itching to go. The way he sounded, he is willing to take on whoever they throw in his face. He would do the [Manny] Pacquiao-[Ricky] Hatton winner, Shane Mosley, Juan Manuel Marquez. The only one he doesn't have an interest in is [a rematch with] Oscar De La Hoya. But in Floyd's mind, he knows there is one Godzilla, and that's a fight with Pacquiao."

Mayweather has been working out regularly in his Las Vegas gym, sparring and is in great shape, according to one of the sources.

Before Mayweather fights one of the big names, both sources said Mayweather's team has talked to HBO about the availability of July 11, the network's date for that month's edition of "World Championship Boxing."

Mayweather, whose last four bouts, and five of his last six, have been on HBO PPV, has expressed an interest in fighting on HBO rather than pay-per-view for a possible tuneup bout ahead of a possible fall fight with the winner of the May 2 Hatton-Pacquiao bout.

HBO, however, would have to come up with a substantial license fee to make it work, so it remains to be seen if a bout on the network could be made. A summer comeback fight for Mayweather, who has been dogged by IRS issues, could also go on pay-per-view instead.

HBO also has another dilemma. One of the reasons it has not committed to giving Main Events and Golden Boy Promotions the July 11 date for a fight that is being negotiated between cruiserweight champion Tomasz Adamek and former two-division champion Bernard Hopkins is because it is also talking to Mayweather about the date, said one of the sources, who has knowledge of HBO's issue.

"They don't want to upset Floyd and they hope the situation resolves itself," the source said.

HBO president Ross Greenburg was tight-lipped on the matter.

"Not only do I have no comment, it's premature to discuss," Greenburg told ESPN.com on Wednesday. "There are no real substantive talks."

But has Mayweather or one of his advisers contacted HBO about a summer fight?

"I'm not confirming or denying that," Greenburg said. "I'm not going to comment. Call me back in a few weeks."

Talk about a Mayweather comeback has swirled for months.

In December, Mayweather (39-0, 25 KOs), who turned 32 on Feb. 24, told his advisers, Al Haymon and Leonard Ellerbe, that they were free to listen to offers for fights.

Earlier this month, Mayweather's father, Floyd Mayweather Sr., who trains Hatton, told media on a teleconference to discuss Hatton-Pacquiao that his son's ring return was imminent.

"Of course, there is no question about it," Mayweather Sr. said. "He's trying to get a fight right now, as we speak. He's gonna fight again."

Haymon could not be reached for comment. Ellerbe did not return numerous telephone messages or e-mails.
So Mayweather may be returning?

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
Hopkins news : Adamek fight likely, Calzaghe turned down a rematch

Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, happened to be channel surfing one day when he ran into the fight last Dec. 11 between Tomasz Adamek and cruiserweight champion Steve Cunningham.
Adamek, a former 175-pound light heavyweight champion, was in his fifth fight at the 200-pound cruiserweight limit. And he took Cunningham's title via split decision.

"When I saw what Adamek did to Cunningham, I was like, 'This guy is good,' " Schaefer said Monday.

That's why, when Schaefer found out that 44-year-old Bernard Hopkins - a partner in Golden Boy - wants to move up from light heavyweight to challenge Adamek, he wasn't too sure what to think.

"I said, 'Holy s**t,' " said Schaefer, who said he first heard of this during the recent Manny Pacquiao-Ricky Hatton press tour in England. "I told Bernard, 'Are you serious?' I was really a bit worried and I still am. He said, 'That is the fight I want.' I said, 'You give me my marching orders and I will try and put the fight together.' So I am trying to put the fight together."

Serious negotiations - through progressing slowly - are underway between Golden Boy and Main Events, which promotes Adamek.

"I have had conversations with Kathy Duva (of Main Events) and with HBO," Schaefer said. "We are going to try and put that fight live on HBO, hopefully, sometime in July. I'm waiting on a date from HBO and I am waiting on a license fee so I can go back to Bernard and tell him what the numbers are."

Efforts to reach Hopkins were unsuccessful. His publicist, Kelly Swanson, said Hopkins would not be commenting on this proposed fight, that Schaefer is his mouthpiece at this time.

Hopkins dominated the middleweight division from 1995 to 2005, during which time he held at least a piece of the championship. After back-to-back narrow losses to Jermain Taylor in 2005, Hopkins moved from the 160-pound middleweight limit to light heavyweight, where he took on Antonio Tarver in June 2006 in Atlantic City.

Most reporters figured Hopkins had bitten off more than he could chew. He proved us wrong, winning easily by nine points on all three scorecards.

A retirement party was held for Hopkins later that year in Las Vegas. The consensus feeling among reporters that night was that Hopkins' closing act was about as impressive as any of us had seen. To move up 15 pounds at age 41 and dominate a fighter who had been a stud in the light heavyweight division was really something.

Of course, Hopkins (49-5-1, 32 KOs) came out of retirement to beat Winky Wright, lose a split-decision to Joe Calzaghe and easily defeat Kelly Pavlik. Now, Hopkins might get an opportunity to deliver another memorable finale. That's assuming, of course, that he would retire after Adamek.

Hopkins is 44, but he certainly did not look it when he dispatched the 26-year-old Pavlik with nary a problem in October, winning by eight, 10 and 13 points.

"I think every single boxing writer pretty much picked Pavlik to win that fight," Schaefer said. "So I think you just can never count Bernard out. The guy is so talented and so crafty."

Then again, in Adamek, Hopkins would be moving up to fight someone amounting to a small heavyweight.

"I'm worried for my friend," Schaefer said.

But this is the only kind of fight that Hopkins is interested in at this point. He has nothing left to prove. He will be a first-ballot Hall of Fame selection, and will go down as one of the great middleweights in history. But Schaefer told us recently that Hopkins would continue if he got a fight that would hold strong significance.

Adamek apparently does the trick.

"This is the kind of challenge that gets his juices going," Schaefer said. "He wants a real challenge and this is certainly a real challenge."

Schaefer spoke with mad respect for Hopkins. Sure, the two work for the same company and Schaefer is biased. But Hopkins deserves all the accolades that are bestowed upon him. Some may not like his style at this stage of his career. Bottom line is, while in his 40s he dominated Tarver and Pavlik the way no one thought he could.

"Bernard Hopkins is the type of fighter who has never backed down from any challenge," Schaefer said. "For him to go in at his age of 44, to go into a challenge like that, tells you what he is made of.

"I told Bernard, 'We are friends and I am worried.' He said, 'Look, Richard, I told you not to worry about Pavlik, and don't worry about Adamek.' He said, 'Don't worry, get the fight done.' "

Adamek, 32, is 37-1 with 25 knockouts. He is 6-0 at cruiserweight, with four of those victories coming inside the distance. He last fought Feb. 27 and made the first defense of his title by stopping Johnathon Banks in the eighth round.

"It would be historic for Bernard to move up and not just move up to cruiserweight, but to fight the best," Schaefer said. "The best it Tomasz Adamek."

And a victory would put the icing on one hell of a cake.

"Bernard doesn't really need this," Schaefer said. "The Bernard Hopkins masterpiece is finished. Maybe you can do a little touch-up here and touch-up there. But it is pretty much ready to be framed. I guess that is what he wants to do, put the frame on the masterpiece."

As we mentioned earlier, negotiations are going slowly. We spoke with Schaefer again on Wednesday, and he said, "We are worlds apart."

However, Schaefer said that is often the case early on, and that he is hopeful the sides will soon be able to close the gap. He said he is going to meet with Hopkins soon and relay the numbers currently on the table, "and then get further marching orders."

Steward Chimes In

Most would agree that Hall of Fame trainer Emanuel Steward is one of boxing's foremost experts. He would pick Hopkins to beat Adamek.

"If the fight is made, I would favor Bernard," Steward said Wednesday via telephone from Detroit. "The way the older fighters have been destroying the younger fighters, it's been against aggressive fighters."

Such as Hopkins-Pavlik and "Sugar" Shane Mosley-Antonio Margarito. Pavlik and Margarito are both stalking fighters. Pavlik was schooled by Hopkins. Margarito had the tables turned on him. Mosley became the aggressor, and was able to do so because of his blinding hand speed for which Margarito had no answer on his way to being stopped in the ninth round.

According to Steward, Hopkins lost to Calzaghe because Calzaghe was fast and fought like a machine. Adamek is aggressive, yet Steward said that he is slow both afoot and with his hands, making him a good menu choice for Hopkins.

"I think Bernard is a crafty old guy and I think he would be a problem for Adamek," Steward said. "And don't forget, Adamek is not a real big cruiserweight. There are a lot of 6-4 cruiserweights out there."

Good point. Hopkins is 6-foot-1, Adamek is listed at 6-1 1/2. Probably the only question is can Hopkins take a good shot to the chin from a 200-pounder? Then again, many of us wondered the same thing before Hopkins stepped into the ring with Pavlik, who, even though he was moving up 10 pounds to a catch-weight of 170, had been a true bomber at middleweight.

Pavlik really never laid a solid glove on Hopkins, whose defensive wizardry might still be second to none among active fighters.

Calzaghe Turned Down Hopkins Rematch

Schaefer said that he sat down with Calzaghe while he was in England to try and convince Calzaghe to give Hopkins a rematch of their fight last April in Las Vegas.

But Calzaghe, who only recently announced his retirement with an undefeated record of 46-0, turned down the offer.

"When I was in London I met with Joe Calzaghe and I was talking to Joe to see if he would consider doing a fight with Bernard from Wales, sort of like a farewell fight for him." Schaefer said. Calzaghe is from Wales. "Joe doesn't want to fight. He is retired. Joe said it sounds sort of intriguing, but based on what I hear from his team, he is retired."
I'd take Hopkins over Adamek

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
David Haye will get his dream shot at the world title when he takes on IBF and WBO champ Wladimir Klitschko at Berlin’s O2 Arena on June 20.

Contracts for the fight are due to be signed today after almost two months of protracted negotiations that came close to wrecking the deal.

Germany-based Ukrainian Klitschko, 32, admits he would never have entered talks with Haye, 28, and his business manager Adam Booth had he known they would be so difficult.

Leg-End

I have gone back in time and started watching the classic Gatti/Ward trilogy, just finished watching the 2nd fight and I know I have a cracking 3rd still to watch. Their first encounter is one of my favorites of all time, cracking fight.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I have gone back in time and started watching the classic Gatti/Ward trilogy, just finished watching the 2nd fight and I know I have a cracking 3rd still to watch. Their first encounter is one of my favorites of all time, cracking fight.
Great fights from two great sportsmen. Loved it when they hugged and grinned at each other before the final round of the last fight, then proceeded to beat the shit out of each other like they were sworn enemies for another 3 minutes.

I'm sure you've seen it but Castillo-Corrales 1 is always worth another look too. Insane fight.

Leg-End

Yeah Castillo/Corrales is right up there too. I still can't quite work out how Ward managed to not go down again in the 3rd in the second fight, he goes down, his legs are gone, Gatti is hamering him on the chin and the guy refuses to go down again and then just comes back harder. Unbelievable.

Name Changed

weso26
Dunne was immense last night. I thought he was well beaten in the fifth. But fair play to him. I really didn't think he had it in him.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
did well to win the WBA, Roy Jones beat Omar Sheika last night as well in 5 lopsided rounds it really was a waste of time, maybe you can attribute it to a bad match up of styles but as much as I dislike him, it makes Calzaghe's in look better