The RedCafe Boxing Thread

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Hope they do it again honestly. And i think Roo would win that, too. Then we'd get a trilogy :drool:

Kazi

I don’t like Taylor’s arrogance though. Also McGuigan is a snake according to Frampton.

Inter Yer Nan

Hope they do it again honestly. And i think Roo would win that, too. Then we'd get a trilogy :drool:
I think time will help Taylor more. He's the fighter that seems to be probably have the ability to use more tools, is younger, has had less fights. Prograis actually proved to be just as good a boxer as Taylor did, but Taylor proved better inside. I think with time Taylor can develop a better distance game whereas I don't think Prograis will suddenly become better inside (not that he's not good inside because he is).

Taylor will likely fulfill a mandatory next and then go for Ramirez for all the marbles, so the earliest a re-match would happen would be late 2020, but probably 2021 so probably three fights for both in between. I see both winning them all so I believe we will get a return. I'd make Taylor a favorite but this was very close so Prograis forcing a trilogy is very possible too. It probably shifts from what was a 50/50 this past weekend to a 60/40 Taylor.

Inter Yer Nan

That's a great read. As an avid reader and lover of boxing history myself it made me really appreciate him more when I saw him quoting these old books and fighters and interacting with writers and getting books like Clay Moyle's excellent Sam Langford book. He loves the sport and lives for it and he's great to watch. I doubt there's another current fighter who's as well researched or passionate as Prograis.

I'm a fan of his.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner

I know, wrong thread. But I just wanted to moan about this being on Sky Box Office. Nuke the world. I'm done.

TheReligion

Abusive
Didn't know Adrian Broner has retired? He's fat now too.

Should have never stayed at the higher weight class. He was blowing people away and looked a real talent until Maidana hammered him.

Inter Yer Nan

Didn't know Adrian Broner has retired? He's fat now too.

Should have never stayed at the higher weight class. He was blowing people away and looked a real talent until Maidana hammered him.
It's all for attention. He's retired a few times and threatened suicide a bunch. He'll fight again. He's strictly an opponent now. They tried to milk him and make him a star but he wasn't that good. He was beating made to order average guys then got trounced with a semi step-up. Gervonta Davis is the new him. I won a grip when Maidana whupped him. I took Maidana at 4-1 underdog and was 100% certain of the outcome.

RedFish

Kovalev to beat Canelo this weekend then?
I hope with all my heart but I feel Canelo's body punches will do for Kovalev. A recent resurgence of late from Krusher I fear will not be enough to halt the gingerling. Canelo getting better with every fight and he's got unsurpassed boxer-puncher skills in the current middleweights, GGG included, although this fight is at LHW I know. Ward would beat him though, I'd be confident of that. BJS maybe could do well against him too.

Inter Yer Nan

Canelo just have to survive and he's won. He has good head movement and Kovalev is old and slow so seems straightforward. Canelo doesn't have to win to win a fight. That's a very good frame of mind to enter the ring I'm sure.

I also suspect Kovalev has gotten paid so much that perhaps he's sort of agreed to lose. I hate to sound cynical but when it comes to De La Hoya and Canelo, I feel everything is so dirty and pre-determined.

RedFish

Canelo just have to survive and he's won. He has good head movement and Kovalev is old and slow so seems straightforward. Canelo doesn't have to win to win a fight. That's a very good frame of mind to enter the ring I'm sure.

I also suspect Kovalev has gotten paid so much that perhaps he's sort of agreed to lose. I hate to sound cynical but when it comes to De La Hoya and Canelo, I feel everything is so dirty and pre-determined.
You're right if course. But Canelo won't fear Kovalev because hea clearly past his peak. Hell want a KO to further his legacy. He seems unstoppable in that regard. I underestimated his ability to counter in the past.bhes got very good fight IQ and works his openings expertly. Combined with his ability to take conclusive punches he's such a hard proposition for anyone. Glad Mayweather schooled him. Thought Cotto did better than the scorecards suggested. Actually I need to watch that fight again.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Would Canelo even need a fix to beat Kovalev right now? Kovalev is shot

Inter Yer Nan

You're right if course. But Canelo won't fear Kovalev because hea clearly past his peak. Hell want a KO to further his legacy. He seems unstoppable in that regard. I underestimated his ability to counter in the past.bhes got very good fight IQ and works his openings expertly. Combined with his ability to take conclusive punches he's such a hard proposition for anyone. Glad Mayweather schooled him. Thought Cotto did better than the scorecards suggested. Actually I need to watch that fight again.
He had him winning wide with Cotto but losing close to Lara and very clearly both times to Golovkin.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Will catch this in the morning on dailymotion but find it hard to watch Canelo. Since golovkin 1 it just seems pointless. He will always win

Kazi

Luckily the UK still have their clocks back an hour more than usual vs the US. But UFC cards usually end hella late, it is in NY however so shouldn’t be too late.