The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Inter Yer Nan

Kovalev has been shot to pieces and was brought in too quickly after almost losing to Yarde. Having said that, I had him out in front 7-3. His punch resistance is done though. Beterbiev would crush Canelo and Bivol would shut him out (but lose on the cards).

Canelo is a good fighter but nothing more. Probably the biggest creation and most manufactured boxer I ever saw. Nothing remotely special about him.

Fracture90

Props to Canelo, a proper warrior, he stuck to his plan and executed it perfectly. Took away Kovalev's jab with his body/head movement and inside steeping.

On the other hand, very poor plan and execution from Kovalev not to go downstairs and punish the body. Canelo had his hands up high the entire time to protect his head and take away Kovalev's jab effectivnes, yet Kovalev rarely ever followed his jab with a body shot.

Revan

Assumptionman
What happened to Kovalev? From dominating Ward (being better in both matches he lost) to getting brutally knocked out from a boxer 2 weight categories lower in the space of 2 years.

Fracture90

What happened to Kovalev? From dominating Ward (being better in both matches he lost) to getting brutally knocked out from a boxer 2 weight categories lower in the space of 2 years.
Went in too soon after his bout with Yarde, plus he's 36.

Fracture90

This plus he’s also been KO’d by Alvarez a couple fights back and he has no power.

I’m surprised a guy has finished as Kovalev was so dominant as he was vs. a guy as roided as Canelo.

I think Canelo is the most overrated boxer in history.
He's a great boxer but I do agree that he's a bit overrated.

I love it personally.. he’ll keep proving the doubters wrong and keep growing his legacy
Got nothing against the lad but you gotta keep in mind that he tarnished lis legacy when he decided to vacate the belt rather than fight against GGG. Then the roidgate happened and he pretty much stalled until GGG started declining before fighting him. And still he got bailed by the ref's on both occasions.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
That KO was brutal. It was a weird, somewhat shite fight prior to that. I had Kovalev ahead by a few rounds, but I have no problem with anyone scoring it for Canelo. Kovalev threw tonnes of jabs but a lot of them were coming up short or hitting the gloves, and in general it was odd seeing this once-feared boxer-puncher looking scared to throw with any power at all.

Also, just finished Smokestack Lightning @Inter Yer Nan . Brilliant book!

Inter Yer Nan

unfortunately the demon drink got the better of him. He would roam the streets near where I grew up. Strange thing was in the midst of his issues he would always be so precise when talking about his career. He'd go from drunk rambling street man to coherent in an instant. Great guy, was never rude or anything, just sad how it ended for him.
Hi mate, I remembered we briefly talked about Johnny Caldwell. Do you know if his relatives still live in the area and of any ways to get in contact with them via e-mail? I am writing a book on Eder Jofre and am trying to get in contact with what few former opponents are still alive and the family members of other well known opponents such as Caldwell.

Chekhov

Supports
A wife and three kids
Hi mate, I remembered we briefly talked about Johnny Caldwell. Do you know if his relatives still live in the area and of any ways to get in contact with them via e-mail? I am writing a book on Eder Jofre and am trying to get in contact with what few former opponents are still alive and the family members of other well known opponents such as Caldwell.
Good luck with this project, Inter! Jofre might be the most underappreciated all-time great fighter ever. Definitely a book that needs to be written.

Inter Yer Nan

Good luck with this project, Inter! Jofre might be the most underappreciated all-time great fighter ever. Definitely a book that needs to be written.
Yeah, I’ve flirted with the idea for a while now. Over the years I’ve become friends with his family. Eder is older and slowing down but I’ve done some Q & A’s with him and will have some more. His son is of great help and is not only excellent with answering all my questions he’s got me some excellent sources so I’m hoping to get a lot of earlier details from his life and career.

The idea to push on with the book was fairly recent. Over the years I’ve collected everything I can on Jofre so have some good stuff and obviously good contacts. I had a few people tell me to write a book on him after I released my lengthy article last year. I mentioned it to his son and his son was very happy with the idea and insisted on getting me whatever help I need.

Next stop for me is to translate 400 pages of old books into English and then translate a bunch of old magazine and newspaper reports since none of this is digital it’s going to take me a while. During this time I’ll be doing a lot of the Q & A’s for additional bits of information and writing up the pieces on every opponent.

My goal is to have all the information by June when I’ll likely see him face to face and then have it written by November 2020 and edited and ready to be released by spring 2021.

Chekhov

Supports
A wife and three kids
Yeah, I’ve flirted with the idea for a while now. Over the years I’ve become friends with his family. Eder is older and slowing down but I’ve done some Q & A’s with him and will have some more. His son is of great help and is not only excellent with answering all my questions he’s got me some excellent sources so I’m hoping to get a lot of earlier details from his life and career.

The idea to push on with the book was fairly recent. Over the years I’ve collected everything I can on Jofre so have some good stuff and obviously good contacts. I had a few people tell me to write a book on him after I released my lengthy article last year. I mentioned it to his son and his son was very happy with the idea and insisted on getting me whatever help I need.

Next stop for me is to translate 400 pages of old books into English and then translate a bunch of old magazine and newspaper reports since none of this is digital it’s going to take me a while. During this time I’ll be doing a lot of the Q & A’s for additional bits of information and writing up the pieces on every opponent.

My goal is to have all the information by June when I’ll likely see him face to face and then have it written by November 2020 and edited and ready to be released by spring 2021.
Sounds fantastic! Can you pm me the information for your article? I'd love to read it.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
That’s a high talented doubleheader. I’ve got Taylor and Inoue in my top 10 pound for pound and they both fought good opponents that day.
Yeah, I gave up a free ticket to the FA Cup Final to be there on that night (the fact that I effing hate Wembley was also a factor!)
I think Inoue’s brother is man support bout on the Tokyo card. Would you know if he is worth a watch?

Inter Yer Nan

Yeah, I gave up a free ticket to the FA Cup Final to be there on that night (the fact that I effing hate Wembley was also a factor!)
I think Inoue’s brother is man support bout on the Tokyo card. Would you know if he is worth a watch?
I heard a little praise around his brother a while back but personally don't remember seeing him or remember any big reviews since. There's a lot of excellent boxers in Japan right now. It's a golden age for them. Perhaps their best since the 1960's.

Inter Yer Nan

Also, just finished Smokestack Lightning @Inter Yer Nan . Brilliant book!
Yeah, it's a fantastic read. I'll read it again soon I enjoyed it so much.

I just bought a book I never knew existed. It's called "The best of enemies" and it's about Johnny Caldwell and Freddie Gilroy. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Enemies-Caldwell-Freddie-Gilroy-ebook/dp/B00LZ6GZV6
I am trying to do additional research on some of Jofre's famous fights and opponents and stumbled across this for $5.54 which included a delivery guarantee of Friday. Can't go wrong with that. The reviews are very strong.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Inoue defeats Donaire on points. Sounds like we all missed the fight of the year.

Inter Yer Nan

Inoue defeats Donaire on points. Sounds like we all missed the fight of the year.
I saw it. Woke up at 4am. It was a great fight. It’s one of the best fights this year. Close enough early, Inoue seemed to pull away then Donaire had two great rounds and hurt Inoue. He also cut him. Inoue pulled away at the end especially with the knockdown which looked to end it. Donaire has a lot of heart.

I’d say it’s a top 5 fight of the year. With the exception of that dross last weekend the schedule has been delivering since Spence-Porter.

I think Taylor-Prograis is the fight of the year and Spence-Porter and GGG-Dereyvchenko are the standout runners-up.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
I saw it. Woke up at 4am. It was a great fight. It’s one of the best fights this year. Close enough early, Inoue seemed to pull away then Donaire had two great rounds and hurt Inoue. He also cut him. Inoue pulled away at the end especially with the knockdown which looked to end it. Donaire has a lot of heart.

I’d say it’s a top 5 fight of the year. With the exception of that dross last weekend the schedule has been delivering since Spence-Porter.

I think Taylor-Prograis is the fight of the year and Spence-Porter and GGG-Dereyvchenko are the standout runners-up.
Just watched it. A real thriller with Inoue answering any doubters who may question his chin and his stamina.
Great credit to Donaire for standing toe to toe with him and never backing down.
2 class acts.

thepolice123

If it isn't bad enough that he has monstruous power, now we know he has granite chin too.

A lot doubters about this win but I think its easily better than beating Kovalev. Donaire really rolled back the years on this one.

GeorgieBoy

Just learned that Billie Joe Saunders is fighting on the undercard of this KSI-Logan Paul fight tonight. The undercard!!!

starman

Was so little media coverage of Canel- Kovalev or Inoue-Doniare, yet am getting bombarded by the KSI-Logan fight, jeez :rolleyes: