The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Terrible boxer, but so much power, ha ha! It's a brilliant get out of jail free card.

Fury rematch and fingers crossed Joshua are two really interesting fights now, Joshua is big puncher and a better boxer but is extremely hittable and as we've seen, the majority do not get up after being landed clean from Wilder. Fury just needs to duck and weave and he'll win on points, but I think the same goes for Fury v Joshua also so I'm hoping Wilder beats him and Joshua regains his belts cause that's the fight I really want to see.
Terrible boxer? He wouldn’t have such a great record if it was only for his power.
Tonight was not a beautiful fight but it was his game plan to tire him and look for the opening.

Terrible boxer? He wouldn’t have such a great record if it was only for his power.
Yes he would, 90% of his fights have been against bums so of course he’d have a cracking record.
Everytime he fights a good boxer he gets outboxed, but he’s so friggin powerful it matters not. Plus we gotta give him a lot of credit for finding and landing those punches too.

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Wilder isn't a very good boxer but he's up there alongside Shavers as the hardest punchers in the history of the sport.
And he repeatedly comes in lighter than the previous fight! The dudes fists must be made of actual brick.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
That was his 10th title defence, btw. Can we put some respect on his name yet?

Oggmonster

Smith scorecards are disgraceful it was a close fight (I thought Ryder won by 1 round) but them scorecards were a joke

Wilder is ridiculous I don't think his boxing ability is awful he times these KOs very well he's not as intelligent at Fury or Ortiz but I think they're probably the only bad match ups in the division. If he gets to fight the winner of Ruiz Vs Joshua I think he'd be the undisputed champion

Wilder is ridiculous I don't think his boxing ability is awful he times these KOs very well he's not as intelligent at Fury or Ortiz but I think they're probably the only bad match ups in the division. If he gets to fight the winner of Ruiz Vs Joshua I think he'd be the undisputed champion
He'll batter Ruiz but Joshua is the most interesting fight out there because they are both such big hitters. I have zero idea how that fight would go but after Joshua's last fight and Wilder's last few, you'd now have to have Wilder as favourite.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Acts of God helped Tyson Fury get up, and since then he’s ran over the hills to act in the WWE. He doesn’t want those bombs again.
Ortiz x2 (38yo and 40)
Fury (Clear loss)
Breazeale
Stiverne x2
Washington
Arreola
Szpilka
Duhaupas
Molina

There's some significant names mixing from that list.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Yes he would, 90% of his fights have been against bums so of course he’d have a cracking record.
Everytime he fights a good boxer he gets outboxed, but he’s so friggin powerful it matters not. Plus we gotta give him a lot of credit for finding and landing those punches too.
You couldn't be more wrong. He didn't fight bums first of all, he fought against everyone who's there. No this fault that Joshua tried to avoid him all the time. 2nd, if he were a poor or shit boxer, there is no way you would be in a position 7th round to land your right. Just no way. Just because he doesn't have that fluid style doesn't make him a poor boxer

Roopea

Wilder's record looks far better than it actually is as pretty much at least half of his 40 odd fights were against very low level cruiserweights/heavyweights. He's only really stepped up 11 fights ago.

He has definitely improved since the first Ortiz fight, despite losing to Fury.

I'm still gutted that we didn't get to see Joshua vs Wilder when they were both undefeated. Would have been a 50-50 shootout of who lands the first meaningful shot.

MalcolmTucker

You couldn't be more wrong. He didn't fight bums first of all, he fought against everyone who's there. No this fault that Joshua tried to avoid him all the time. 2nd, if he were a poor or shit boxer, there is no way you would be in a position 7th round to land your right. Just no way. Just because he doesn't have that fluid style doesn't make him a poor boxer
You clearly haven't followed Wilder's career. He was fighting unranked cruiserweights in his 20th bout and his title defences have been a joke up until the last 4 fights - he has fought bums there is no doubt about it. He's known as a 'poor boxer' because he has been outboxed by the likes of Washington, Szpilka and was 5-1 down on my card against Ortiz before he got the KO. Doesn't matter though, he has a ridiculous right hand that he can land at any point and end it.

I don't think he's a stupid boxer though - he knows his limitations and knows he just needs to land that right once to change the fight and is happy to give up rounds being cautious to protect his chin.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
He's basically the Darren Gibson of boxing, a lead boot with little else in football and you'll be found out, but in boxing an iron fist can take you to the top, without having to box.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I'm on the side of Wilder not being a great boxer....but how good was that right hand ! I was just starting to think Ortiz was going to do a job on him over the next few rounds and bang! Gone.

lsd

The Oracle
Ortiz deserves to be a World Champion I would pick him to beat Joshua and Ruiz though perhaps not Fury .

Wilder is really hard to define . He is clearly not the best boxer but no one comes close to his power and he can land one shot at anytime no matter how poor he is performing .

Fracture90

Thing about Wilder, he's the only boxer that is always getting outboxed, yet you always know he's gona win in the end.

Ortiz is too old at this point, he's allegedly 40 but tbh some have speculated he's actually closer to being 50 than 40.

The most surprising thing to me is the fact that scorecards were pretty much spot on, pretty fair, something quite uncommon.

Fracture90

He'll batter Ruiz but Joshua is the most interesting fight out there because they are both such big hitters. I have zero idea how that fight would go but after Joshua's last fight and Wilder's last few, you'd now have to have Wilder as favourite.
Joshua and Wilder, both have terrible head movement, both look too stiff, no fluidity when they're dodging or throwing. If they get in the ring, think it would be over quite fast, picking the winner would be helluva difficult.

TheReligion

Abusive
Wilder does it again! Let's get things right though it's not in his game plan to lose the fight on points then deliver a knock out. He's a very limited boxer but his timing and power when it comes to that right hand are first class. So far no one has been able to avoid it and only Fury get up from it. I think it's fair to say at some point against Wilder you're going to get caught and if you can survive that you have a chance.

Fury won their fight by a mile. The scorecards were bordering on corrupt. He got back up twice from Wilder and nearly stopped him. He won every other round comfortably. Ortiz was bossing it last night in the same fashion but the knockdown totally shocked him from nowhere.

Would love to see Fury v Ortiz, Wilder v Joshua, Fury v Ruiz. So many interesting matchups possible. Boxing technical talent, raw power. What a mix.

MalcolmTucker

Ortiz made the same mistake as he did last time. Was winning the rounds but got too confident and kept pushing forward. He had done enough to win the 7th round, should have just saw the round out as there were only 10 seconds left - he did exactly the same for the first knockdown in the first fight too, but he managed to get up and was saved by the bell.

His gameplan should have been to keep winning rounds and avoiding the right all night but the chances are, especially at his age (he looked incredibly slow), that Wilder would have caught him eventually.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Thing about Wilder, he's the only boxer that is always getting outboxed, yet you always know he's gona win in the end.

Ortiz is too old at this point, he's allegedly 40 but tbh some have speculated he's actually closer to being 50 than 40.

The most surprising thing to me is the fact that scorecards were pretty much spot on, pretty fair, something quite uncommon.
:lol:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He's basically the Darren Gibson of boxing, a lead boot with little else in football and you'll be found out, but in boxing an iron fist can take you to the top, without having to box.
Too much emphasis on “boxing” and not enough on winning. Wilder is at the top because he has the tools to win, which at the end of the day is all that matters.

lsd

The Oracle
Fury is the only fighter i can think off who could outbox Wilder for 12 rounds without being knocked out but while he was robbed vs Wilder last time i do think that was his chance and in a rematch Wilder will knock him out .

I honestly dont think Fury has recovered from that punch mentally . He did amazing to get up and see the fight out but was fortunate it happened so late .

Joshua has power but not Wilder power and his chin is far to weak to have a chance of going 12 rounds with Wilder .

Ruiz is good and i fancy him to beat AJ again if he is up for it

Watched a bit of the Wilder fight, I've lost a bit of interest in boxing lately but this is the guy who reckons he would beat a prime Mike Tyson? He'd be lucky to see the third round based on that fight last night.

MalcolmTucker

I honestly dont think Fury has recovered from that punch mentally . He did amazing to get up and see the fight out but was fortunate it happened so late .
What are you basing that on? He was putting his hands behind his back about 30 seconds after the punch(es) landed and ended up winning the rest of the round. In what realm do you think he hasn't mentally recovered from it a year later? :lol:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
What are you basing that on? He was putting his hands behind his back about 30 seconds after the punch(es) landed and ended up winning the rest of the round. In what realm do you think he hasn't mentally recovered from it a year later? :lol:
Now that he's had a taste of being momentarily knocked unconscious, I think he will approach a rematch with a bit more caution, which will result in a very different fight imo.

MalcolmTucker

Now that he's had a taste of being momentarily knocked unconscious, I think he will approach a rematch with a bit more caution, which will result in a very different fight imo.
He was cautious in the first fight just as he was in the Klitschko fight. Fury's gameplan broadly speaking won't have changed after being 'momentarily unconscious' - it's hardly like Wilder's power would've surprised him - all he needs to do is avoid Wilder's right for 36 minutes and he wins comfortably. He should find it easier to avoid it as he is fitter and less ring rusty but you can never count Wilder out - that's why I love watching his fights.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He was cautious in the first fight just as he was in the Klitschko fight. Fury's gameplan broadly speaking won't have changed after being 'momentarily unconscious' - it's hardly like Wilder's power would've surprised him - all he needs to do is avoid Wilder's right for 36 minutes and he wins comfortably. He should find it easier to avoid it as he is fitter and less ring rusty but you can never count Wilder out - that's why I love watching his fights.
Likewise, Wilder will probably recognize that he doesn't need to wait 10 rounds before attempting to KO Fury this time, otherwise he will simply get outpointed. If Wilder can KO Fury late then there's no point in waiting that long to do it next time.

lsd

The Oracle

Based on his last fight and him being a human being . He got up and survived on instinct . There is no way he will want to go through that again .Who would ?

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Acts of God helped Tyson Fury get up, and since then he’s ran over the hills to act in the WWE. He doesn’t want those bombs again.
Why not? He handled them fine. He knows boxing is corrupt as feck these days. WWE is probably more realistic and honest.

Wilder is a fighter, he'd get found out by a proper boxer no problem. Mayweather would beat him !

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Too much emphasis on “boxing” and not enough on winning. Wilder is at the top because he has the tools to win, which at the end of the day is all that matters.
The same thing used to be said Arthur Abraham when he was beating up bums in Germany. As soon as he stepped up he was found out. Wilder was outclassed yet again by a now spent 40 year old to be saved by a bomb. And lets be honest, Ortiz is no Hopkins. The only other time he's fought anyone of quality he was gifted a result. He's not going to get those chances to land bombs against a higher calibre of boxer on a regular basis.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The same thing used to be said Arthur Abraham when he was beating up bums in Germany. As soon as he stepped up he was found out. Wilder was outclassed yet again by a now spent 40 year old to be saved by a bomb. And lets be honest, Ortiz is no Hopkins. The only other time he's fought anyone of quality he was gifted a result. He's not going to get those chances to land bombs against a higher calibre of boxer on a regular basis.
Imagine if Wilder actually learned how to box instead of just brawl. He would be unstoppable.

MalcolmTucker

Likewise, Wilder will probably recognize that he doesn't need to wait 10 rounds before attempting to KO Fury this time, otherwise he will simply get outpointed. If Wilder can KO Fury late then there's no point in waiting that long to do it next time.
Yeah I don't think Wilder was waiting - he was swinging and missing all fight. If anything Wilder needs to be calmer in the rematch because he was forcing the right-hand.

TheReligion

Abusive
Based on his last fight and him being a human being . He got up and survived on instinct . There is no way he will want to go through that again .Who would ?
Disagree. Fury recovered in the fight and infact had Wilder clinching and hanging on by the end.

You could argue the opposite and say Wilder will be hurt mentally as Fury took his best punches, got back up and then regained control of the fight.

Oggmonster

I don't think he waited through choice. There was next to no opportunity he was being made to look like an idiot for most the fight

Thisistheone

Say what you like about Wilder’s boxing ability but he’s simply must watch because he has a right hand from the gods