The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Oggmonster

Other question: who should he have fought instead?
Obviously there may of been reasons he's not fought people with boxing politics but he has had a pretty favourable run.

He won the title in Jan 2015 and got recognised some time before that. I don't think Fury has a great CV personally but look at Joshua's in comparison (Wlad, Parker, Whyte, Povetkin are all good level boxers) I'd argue Takam is better than most fighters WIlder has fought.

I quite like Wilder and think he'd be a tough match up for Joshua personally but he's definitely had favourable fights and his Cv isn't that great really.

Equally it's only fair you answer the question of his high level fights surely? If there some they should be easy to name?

Oggmonster

Ortiz is better than anyone Joshua defended against
I'd say Parker is a better scalp than Ortiz currently but each to their own. I equally don't think Povetkin is any worse than him.

Ortiz is always a tad over rated personally. He fought nobodies (and is a drug cheat whilst doing it) and then when he signed with Matchroom for a while he didn't look great when the competition stepped up.

The fact that Ortiz is the only name people can think of does imply that Wilder has had an easy run. Obviously he fought Fury but that was a robbery of the a decision.

poleglass red

be an interesting rematch Fury v Wilder. Although Fury took his best shot and got up and finished the fight the stronger, I don't think he wants to be taking too many of Wilder's best shots. On the other hand Wilder hits Fury and unlike most other people he hits this one got up and came back on the attack. That's got be demoralising for a big hitter like Wilder. Both coming of victories, neither of which were as comprehensive as we initially thought they would be, certainly in Fury's case anyway.

MalcolmTucker

Klitschko and Povetkin? :lol:

Regardless, it's not about who Joshua has fought (in half the amount of fights) - it doesn't change the fact that Wilder has only fought 2 proper opponents in 42 fights and got gifted a draw for one of them.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Ortiz better than Klitschko? :lol:

Wilder is a very average boxer with an amazing 1 hit KO power punch. Take that away and he'd be nowhere near the top.

While that's enough to make a career in boxing, anybody saying he's a good boxer is just a fanboy.

Luke1995

If Tyson and Wilder fought in Tyson's prime, I still think Tyson would knock him out.

Edit: Mike, not Fury

Roopea

:lol:

Care to elaborate why Ortiz is better than Wlad, Povetkin & Parker?

Whenever someone mentions that Ortiz is one of the top 4-5 heavyweights out there, no one can explain how logically. As good as he is from a technical point of view, he has achieved nothing both in terms of World Titles or defeating any notable names (bar Jennings and that was four years ago).

Yes he is a skillful fighter, but what has he achieved both as an amateur and as a professional? You can't just have the skills and not have anything to show for it. I could be the most technically skillful footballer on the planet, but if I don't achieve anything...what good is that?

Classical Mechanic

Whenever someone mentions that Ortiz is one of the top 4-5 heavyweights out there, no one can explain how logically. As good as he is from a technical point of view, he has achieved nothing both in terms of World Titles or defeating any notable names (bar Jennings and that was four years ago).

Yes he is a skillful fighter, but what has he achieved both as an amateur and as a professional? You can't just have the skills and not have anything to show for it. I could be the most technically skillful footballer on the planet, but if I don't achieve anything...what good is that?
What you on about fella?! Ortiz held the WBA Interim Heavyweight title for a whole year! A title currently held by Trevor Bryan. Its not something to be sniffed at.

lsd

The Oracle

I said his defences and Ortiz is much better than Parker and Povetkin. He is also better than Joshua but since everyone bar Wilder kept ducking him its hard to prove .

lsd

The Oracle
I'd say Parker is a better scalp than Ortiz currently but each to their own. I equally don't think Povetkin is any worse than him.

Ortiz is always a tad over rated personally. He fought nobodies (and is a drug cheat whilst doing it) and then when he signed with Matchroom for a while he didn't look great when the competition stepped up.

The fact that Ortiz is the only name people can think of does imply that Wilder has had an easy run. Obviously he fought Fury but that was a robbery of the a decision.

Povetkin is a drug cheat and 40 yo . Parker i really don't rate at all and never did . There has been a lack of good fighters among the heavyweights for years now which makes all this "he has fought nobodies "argument redundant whether its about Wilder Joshua or whoever .

The fact Joshua and Wilder couldnt fight each other when they were both unbeaten is a wasted chance and sad for the sport .

Oggmonster

I said his defences and Ortiz is much better than Parker and Povetkin. He is also better than Joshua but since everyone bar Wilder kept ducking him its hard to prove .

He defended his IBF Title against Wlad so that's a defence.

What is your logic that Ortiz is better than Joshua? One loss and suddenly Joshua is this bum.

Povetkin is a drug cheat and 40 yo . Parker i really don't rate at all and never did . There has been a lack of good fighters among the heavyweights for years now which makes all this "he has fought nobodies "argument redundant whether its about Wilder Joshua or whoever .

The fact Joshua and Wilder couldnt fight each other when they were both unbeaten is a wasted chance and sad for the sport .
Ortiz is a drug cheat and 40 years old (and probably older.)

Just cos you don't rate them doesn't mean they're not good boxers though. I agree there's a lack of boxers but there's clearly more talent than what Wilder has fought. Given he's had double the amount of fights of Joshua you'd think he'd have some quality opponents on there but except Fury, who he should of lost to, there's not any big names

Roopea

Please care to explain how Ortiz is much better than Parker and Povetkin.

Joshua offered Ortiz $7m to face him for all but the WBC belt, yet Ortiz chose to fight Wilder.

I do rate Ortiz as he is a skillful fighter and a tough fight for anyone in the division, but he is far too old now. No one really wanted to see the rematch, we all knew it would end sooner than the first fight with Ortiz having looked very sub par in his performances since that first defeat.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Mike Tyson, even as he is now, has better footwork and ringsmarts than Wilder.

One honed his style,

the other can't even box.

Wilder wouldn't even last a round. He's never, in his life, been worked to the body like Tyson would have had a party doing.

Luke1995

Really sticking your neck out there Luke. :lol:
Nah. Mike was unbelievably fast. He had the hand speed to match the power. Wilder has the power but he is slow.

Specially on the night Mike KO'd Berbick, I don't care if you put Wilder or Francis Ngannou in the ring that night, Mike would win.

Anyway, just having some fun, we'll never know

MalcolmTucker

Nah. Mike was unbelievably fast. He had the hand speed to match the power. Wilder has the power but he is slow.

Specially on the night Mike KO'd Berbick, I don't care if you put Wilder or Francis Ngannou in the ring that night, Mike would win.

He was being sarcastic.

I don't think Wilder is slow considering his height though, he never throws combinations but he can spring that straight right very quickly from a good distance.

Last edited:

Oggmonster

Seems people have gone remarkably quiet since being asked to name top level fighters Wilder has fought?! (Except Fury who he lost to)

We know, any boxing fan knows. Peak Tyson would have to be having a massive off day and Wilder would have to get very very lucky with one of those big punches.

Chances are 99 times out of 100, Tyson would take him to the cleaners within 2 rounds.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We know, any boxing fan knows. Peak Tyson would have to be having a massive off day and Wilder would have to get very very lucky with one of those big punches.

Chances are 99 times out of 100, Tyson would take him to the cleaners within 2 rounds.
Tbf, Tyson in his prime would have been the favorite against anyone probably

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Seems people have gone remarkably quiet since being asked to name top level fighters Wilder has fought?! (Except Fury who he lost to)
Molina, Bermane Stiverne and Dominic Breazeale, not to mention the people's champion A-Force Harrison. Don't you look the fool now. :cool:

Irrational.

Anyone watch The Gloves Are Off? Just been uploaded to YouTube:

I don't know about you, but something about Joshua's demeanor just doesn't sit right with me. He's very tense and psychologically isn't there, whilst Ruiz has the look of a man living rent-free inside Joshua's mind.

Watching this seems like Joshua's still shook and hasn't been able to rid the demons from June. If this is anything to go by, next week doesn't bode too well for him.

RedTiger

Half mast
Anyone watch The Gloves Are Off? Just been uploaded to YouTube:

I don't know about you, but something about Joshua's demeanor just doesn't sit right with me. He's very tense and psychologically isn't there, whilst Ruiz has the look of a man living rent-free inside Joshua's mind.

Watching this seems like Joshua's still shook and hasn't been able to rid the demons from June. If this is anything to go by, next week doesn't bode too well for him.
Ruiz is 2-1 on skybet, a fullproof bet if I ever saw one.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
What time is it set to start UK time? Early evening?

I disagree about that The Gloves Are Off, don't think AJ looks tense or anything. But do think Ruiz will win, the big question mark is how hungry Ruiz still is. He's clearly enjoyed the fame over the last 6 months. And if he loses much power with the weight.

Kazi

What if, and it’s a bit what if, Ruiz is actually a monster

Like a legit HW machine

I’m looking forward to see how he will look in the ring with his new physique

Oggmonster

Considering how big a fight it is, this thread is silent. What gives?
Suppose it's the problems of immediate rematches. It got spoken about a lot after the fight but with neither having fought since (not that I'd expect them to) there's not much else to add as you have nothing to go on except the previous fight, can't say someone looks to of improved for example. I also think both are REALLY dull personalities, I watched the Gloves Are Off and it's one of the worst I've seen. Joshua speaks in riddles and catchphrases to much and Ruiz just hasn't got the personality to create any interest. All the interest is from the first fight and the shock factor of it. I am looking forward to the rematch though.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Fair points. Guessing you all saw this:

Thought they gave a pretty good overview.

Personally, I think if Ruiz can still take hits to land his own, the fight will go his way. Joshua's jab and counter uppercut need to be on point. If it's a close range, in-fight battle, he's going to lose.

Crazy how this guy who was seen as a joke half a year ago could be the one to completely derail the Joshua money train and two potential mega fights from ever happening.

pascell

What time is it set to start UK time? Early evening?

I disagree about that The Gloves Are Off, don't think AJ looks tense or anything. But do think Ruiz will win, the big question mark is how hungry Ruiz still is. He's clearly enjoyed the fame over the last 6 months. And if he loses much power with the weight.
Ring walk is 8.30pm UK time according to Sky Sports.

Oggmonster

Fair points. Guessing you all saw this:

Thought they gave a pretty good overview.

Personally, I think if Ruiz can still take hits to land his own, the fight will go his way. Joshua's jab and counter uppercut need to be on point. If it's a close range, in-fight battle, he's going to lose.

Crazy how this guy who was seen as a joke half a year ago could be the one to completely derail the Joshua money train and two potential mega fights from ever happening.
I tried watching but find 3 of the 4 pretty hard to watch (Froch, Bellew, Haye.) I like listening to Paulie when he's not talking about himself. When was that filmed as well? Surely his hand isn't messed up from Lobov still? I know he's the GOAT in combat sports but he couldn't of done that much damage!

Thisistheone

Can't decide if something was just off with AJ last time and on top of that he didn't take Ruiz seriously enough, or if Ruiz is just all wrong for him.

Leg-End

I just get the feeling Ruiz has Joshua's number, sometimes certain fighters as good as they are come up against someone who can just tame them.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If Joshua loses, where would he go from there? Back to facing Whyte?