The RedCafe Boxing Thread

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
It was a flawless victory.

Fury‘s close distance boxing and size really neutralised Wilder’s right hand. He couldn’t load up or telegraphed it too much. The weight gain also worked in Fury’s favour. Wilder looked completely immobilised in clinches. At certain angles it looked like Wilder was fighting someone in an upper weight division. :lol:
Fury leaned on him constantly, which at 270lbs, must’ve been exhausting.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Can’t believe anyone is still backing Wilder to beat Joshua after what we’ve seen tonight. Freak right hand aside, Wilder looked amateurish. Just really, really poor.

Wilder now making excuses he had a hurt leg. Just excuses.

MalcolmTucker

The point deduction was a joke.

Didn't matter either way - complete demolition job. Be interesting to see if Wilder triggers the rematch clause - he's been carefully matched to avoid punchers and only took Fury on because he thought he was over the hill and couldn't hurt him. Not sure he'll want the rematch unless his leg excuse was genuine.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Can’t believe anyone is still backing Wilder to beat Joshua after what we’ve seen tonight. Freak right hand aside, Wilder looked amateurish. Just really, really poor.

Was he that bad? I thought he had an okay second round but walking wounded from the moment he got knocked down. After that it was never really gonna be a fight, just a question of whether Fury would be stupid enough to walk in to something.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It does make you wonder how Wilder will react to this his first defeat though. If Joshua was to be schooling him a bit with the jab and movement, then started to catch him and hurt him a bit, he might just have flashbacks to this fight. Who knows. Still think Joshua would beat Wilder, but only if he comes in in proper good confident shape and has a go.
I'm no expert on the sport, but from what I've seen of both AJ and Wilder. I don't believe AJ will want to get into a toe to toe battle with Wilder because I think Wilder has the better chin. Wilder's right hand will end the fight IMO. I believe AJ will adopt the same strategy he did against Ruiz in his points win but Wilder doesn't have the height disadvantage and will connect at some point.

Man of Steel

Smashed it!!
I'm doubting people's commitment to Sparkle Motion

That's not a good sign if he is making excuses, maybe it's because it's his first loss? This fight also gives confidence to any other future opponent of Wilder. Fury has shown how to beat him in two ways. If you aren't good enough to box him, then go at him and stay on top of him the whole time. And it will also knock Wilders self belief if he starts experiencing similar things again in his next fights.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Was he that bad? I thought he had an okay second round but walking wounded from the moment he got knocked down. After that it was never really gonna be a fight, just a question of whether Fury would be stupid enough to walk in to something.
He really was. He was outboxed from the get go. 7-0 on rounds. He was utterly mauled. He never looked in the fight. From round 1 were saying Fury was well on top.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I'm no expert on the sport, but from what I've seen of both AJ and Wilder. I don't believe AJ will want to get into a toe to toe battle with Wilder because I think Wilder has the better chin. Wilder's right hand will end the fight IMO. I believe AJ will adopt the same strategy he did against Ruiz in his points win but Wilder doesn't have the height disadvantage and will connect at some point.
I think this was the case. Now? Some of his overall career punch resistance could well be taken from him depending on how he recovers from a blown out eardrum and the discombobulation and equilibrium warping effects it has. He may very well not be the same fighter again in terms of taking shots, and it mightn't be a viable strategy for him from now on to take one to try and give back another.

Certainly adds an additional factor to both Wilder's camp and trainers of other fighters he'll be facing. Targeting that ear and side of his head may become commonplace now.

Classical Mechanic

That's not a good sign if he is making excuses, maybe it's because it's his first loss? This fight also gives confidence to any other future opponent of Wilder. Fury has shown how to beat him in two ways. If you aren't good enough to box him, then go at him and stay on top of him the whole time. And it will also knock Wilders self belief if he starts experiencing similar things again in his next fights.
Pretty much every opponent Wilder has fought in recent years was beating on the cards him until they got knocked out. He’s a terrible boxer. Fury has a size advantage over all boxers too so leaning on him to drain him isn’t available to most other boxers. Wilder is a pretty big guy himself but Fury is a giant.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
I think that’s a huge takeaway from this. He’s fought Fury twice, was completely outboxed in the first fight, and then mauled in the second. Two completely different styles. His confidence must be crushed from that, and he’s taken a real dent to the fear factor. Anyone going up against him now sees him as beatable, and in more ways than one.

It can take ages for a fighter to recover from a beating like this.

Revan

Assumptionman
He got floored twice from Fury and was in trouble from a 50 years old Ortiz.

Man of Steel

Smashed it!!
Nobody wants to stand and trade right hands with Wilder, but as we've seen tonight, if you do box well and have a go at him, he doesn't look like a true great fighter. So AJ will as a good boxer be able to implement a similar strategy. I don't think he will win easily, and yes Wilder will probably land a few good shots, but I think this fight has maybe ended the mystique of Wilder a little, and AJ will be far more confident after seeing tonights fight.

I'm saying this and AJ will probably box like a stiff robot against him, not have a go, and get knocked out in the sixth round haha

MalcolmTucker

Wilder has better recovery and stamina than Joshua but I'm not sure you can say he has a better chin at this point.

Wilder was knocked down by journeyman Harold Sconiers and floored by Fury who has been called pillowfisted all his career. Joshua has been knocked down by Kitchschko and Ruiz - both of whom are far more known punchers.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Have to disagree with that, Wilder doesn’t have a good chin. He’s been floored by Fury twice, and an ancient Ortiz rocked him several times. AJ, aside from the knockout when he was already concussed, has shown much more resilience. Wilder is a wild card and dangerous because of that right, but Joshua has serious knock out power too and is a better boxer. He’s not running scared of Wilder. I doubt he’ll fight him, because what’s the point now?

As another poster said, Wilder has been losing most fights he’s been in against anyone half decent until he got out of jail with that right. He’ll never be anything other than a one punch wildcard. The gaps between where his skill set is and where it needs to be is just too huge, and he’s shown no capacity to change. AJ is flawed as a boxer but he’s shown the capacity to change his style and win in different ways, especially out of necessity. I don’t think Wilder can do that. I guess we’ll see in the wake of this if he can evolve.

Fury is a favourite against anyone in the division. We’ve seen that Wilder isn’t even close to him. Who else could realistically beat him? AJ is the only one in the division with a chance as far as I can see, even if Fury goes in heavy favourite. If I bet it’d only be on Fury, but Joshua is much better than some people are making out. In Parker, Ruiz and Klitschko, he’s beaten fighters way above the calibre of anyone Wilder has beaten.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He got floored twice from Fury and was in trouble from a 50 years old Ortiz.
Fury did flaw him but Fury is the best boxer and completely bamboozled him too. I think if AJ who is a inferior boxer to Fury tries the same thing it could end very differently. A 41 year old Klitchko floored AJ and if he had followed up, it would've been over because AJ was seeing stars after getting up. But for some inexplicable reason he didn't follow up which was a surprise.

I've said the same for a couple of years, AJ would wipe the floor with him.

Now Fury on the other hand, that is one tricky tricky fight for AJ. Fury's just a better boxer but AJ has more to trouble him than Wilder.

TheLiverBird

I've no interest in seeing this fight again Fury is 2-0, and he'll win the 3rd. He's simply better.

Brilliant performance as expected.
I feel the same

I’ve enjoyed the last 2 matches

regardless of the first draw match, we all know Fury has won twice now

it’s time to move on

It’s Wilders right for a 3rd, but if he’s got any brains about him, he won’t be triggering it anytime soon, sometimes you need to accept your place

Fury vs AJ please

the world needs it

Man of Steel

Smashed it!!
I think that’s a huge takeaway from this. He’s fought Fury twice, was completely outboxed in the first fight, and then mauled in the second. Two completely different styles. His confidence must be crushed from that, and he’s taken a real dent to the fear factor. Anyone going up against him now sees him as beatable, and in more ways than one.

It can take ages for a fighter to recover from a beating like this.
That's a very good point about it taking time to recover from a beating like this, and also his first loss too. Psychologically he will have lost confidence, and opponents can now taunt and remind Wilder of this defeat and how he lost, in the build up to their/his next fight, so he can't deny that in the press conferences etc. Again, it's a big psychological loss for Wilder.

You'd wan't to fight Wilder next in any case wouldn't you? while he still has the doubts etc. I suppose he has to fight Fury again though doesn't he so an AJ fight probably won't happen? I reckon Fury will break Wilder in the build up to their next fight too. What the heck can Wilder say to him? Fury has completely dominated him now in two fights, with this brutal demolition he has won the battle of the minds and bodies.

Giggs86

Makes you wonder if there should be a higher heavyweight class for giants like Fury. He made a 235 shredded tank look like a lightweight next to him.

Fury did flaw him but Fury is the best boxer and completely bamboozled him too. I think if AJ who is a inferior boxer to Fury tries the same thing it could end very differently. A 41 year old Klitchko floored AJ and if he had followed up, it would've been over because AJ was seeing stars after getting up. But for some inexplicable reason he didn't follow up which was a surprise.
You're talking like following it up was an option Vladimir just chose not to take, boxing doesn't work like that. You're forgetting the punishment Vlad had already taken before he knocked down AJ, that fight was brutal, and there was a point where it looked like neither fighter had anything left in them.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
That's a very good point about it taking time to recover from a beating like this, and also his first loss too. Psychologically he will have lost confidence, and opponents can now taunt and remind Wilder of this defeat and how he lost, in the build up to their/his next fight, so he can't deny that in the press conferences etc. Again, it's a big psychological loss for Wilder.

You'd wan't to fight Wilder next in any case wouldn't you? while he still has the doubts etc. I suppose he has to fight Fury again though doesn't he so an AJ fight probably won't happen? I reckon Fury will break Wilder in the build up to their next fight too. What the heck can Wilder say to him? Fury has completely dominated him now in two fights, with this brutal demolition he has won the battle of the minds and bodies.
Exactly. Agreed totally. That’s a fight that shouldn’t happen though. They’ve fought what? 19 rounds, and Fury is probably 17-2. It’s just no contest. Who wants to see that again? Waste of time.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
You're talking like following it up was an option Vladimir just chose not to take, boxing doesn't work like that. You're forgetting the punishment Vlad had already taken before he knocked down AJ, that fight was brutal, and there was a point where it looked like neither fighter had anything left in them.
One of the best heavyweight fights in the last 15-20 years. Brutal fight and great entertainment. Both showed so much heart. Vlad looked done at one point. Then Joshua looked done. Then it swung back to AJ. Incredible fight. How Klitschko took that uppercut and kept going, I will never know. Really amazing fight.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Boxing is pure unregulated capitalism. It’s the most corrupt and absurd sport there is. That’s part of what makes it fascinating though.
I don't understand why they're so uptight on heading footballs and concussion in American football while people die in the ring. Doesn't make any sense?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
There you go. At 41 years old he probably did gas alittle earlier and that's possibly the reason he didn't follow up.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
58-18 in favour of Fury for power punches landed. Laughably one sided. Great performance from Tyson.

There you go. At 41 years old he probably did gas alittle earlier and that's possibly the reason he didn't follow up.
He didn't "gas", he'd taken one of the nastiest upper cuts I've ever seen someone survive from, then AJ went hell for leather trying to knock him out, the Vlad punch came almost from nowhere (that's the class of Vlad) and gave both boxers the breather they desperately needed.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Makes you wonder if there should be a higher heavyweight class for giants like Fury. He made a 235 shredded tank look like a lightweight next to him.
I see your point, but I don’t think his size is his main asset. It’s an asset for sure, but despite being the biggest man in the division, he also moves the best, has the best technique, and the most variety.

Remember Valuev? Hahaha.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He didn't "gas", he'd taken one of the nastiest upper cuts I've ever seen someone survive from, then AJ went hell for leather trying to knock him out, the Vlad punch came almost from nowhere (that's the class of Vlad) and gave both boxers the breather they desperately needed.
That punch that came from 41 year old Vlad is a real possibility with Wilder, who hits even harder. AJ doesn't have anywhere near the boxing nous Fury has so will likely take one from Wilder and I don't think he would recover.

Giggs86

I see your point, but I don’t think his size is his main asset. It’s an asset for sure, but despite being the biggest man in the division, he also moves the best, has the best technique, and the most variety.

Remember Valuev? Hahaha.
Totally agree, It's not his main asset, just an observation. Dude is huge! Which makes it even more impressive, to have such technique weighing fecking 273 pounds!

jimmyb2000

Wilders on record as saying he has always wanted a "body" on his record and if it hadn't been for his trainers tonight then his wish would have come true.
However, the body on his record would have been his.

This was a good example of trainers actually saving their fighter from further punishment....to be honest the only criticism is that they maybe could have threw the towel in a bit earlier. At points it looked liked Wilder had just got out from being in a car crash he was that busted up.

That punch that came from 41 year old Vlad is a real possibility with Wilder, who hits even harder. AJ doesn't have anywhere near the boxing nous Fury has so will likely take one from Wilder and I don't think he would recover.
I think you're overrating Wilder, as many have done here for a few years. Ortiz was better than him, Fury schooled him twice and even Tyson paid him too much respect the first time around, he didn't make that mistake twice though; second time around he just absolutely embarrassed him, made him look like an amateur.

Vlad would have made light work of Wilder.